Report: The Next iPhone will be Revealed by Apple on September 9th

Report: The Next iPhone will be Revealed by Apple on September 9th

iPhone 6 Leak 310x

Apple will hold an iPhone event on September 9th -- will its presumed smartwatch also make an appearance?

A report from Recode states that Apple has scheduled an iPhone event for September 9th, which means the next version of the iPhone will be officially revealed in just over a month (and on my mother's birthday, no less).

Reported next-gen iPhone leaks have become the norm over the last two years -- just look at the image to the right -- but reveal events will never cease to be a news cycle-stopping showcase.

There are plenty of rumors surrounding the next iPhone, with many focused on the size of the device -- hardware we're calling the iPhone 6 for now. There's a very good change the iPhone 6 will be a design departure from the iPhone 5 and 5S, if Apple sticks to its biannual design overhaul, at least.

So what's possibly on the docket for Apple?

• There will be at least one new phone -- the iPhone 6 -- and it's expected to have a new, larger display. The iPhone 5S has a 4-inch Retina Display, and the new flagship has seen rumored display numbers from 4.7 up to 5.5.
  • There might be two new models, with the different aforementioned screen sizes.
  • A new entry-level (cheaper) iPhone will emerge to replace the iPhone 5c. An iPhone 5S in a plastic body is a safe guess.
  • Any iOS 8 features not yet discussed will be revealed, as Apple's next mobile OS will launch alongside the new phone hardware.
  • With a new iPhone being nearly a foregone conclusion, what about other new hardware? Will Apple finally have a smartwatch to show off to the masses? Or does its wearable tech need more time in the Cupertino oven? And what of the iPad, which hasn't seen a refresh since last November? The last two iPad announcements came in October, with November releases, so it's hard to pinpoint if the iPhone will share the stage with its bigger cousin.

Whatever the announcement brings, we'll be sure to cover. In the meantime, drop some predictions in the comments.

Source: Recode

Woohoo! New iPod! Now let me reach deep in me pockets and whip out all the fucks I don't give! :D

Okay, apologies for being a bit rude there. I've never been a fan of iPods in general due to bad personal experiences with other people's iPods and iTunes in particular, my need for my music players to not be locked to a closed platform, and my absolute hatred for any device whose sole interface is touchscreen controls. Hearing about a new iPod being released - especially when they're notorious for releasing a new version all the friggin' time while still being expensive as fuck - feels like I'm hearing an announcement of a new Madden or something and all I can feel when hearing news like this is a lot of apathy along with a bit of a desire to be a snarky twat (as demonstrated above).

EDIT: As somebody pointed out below, it was an iPhone that was announced, not an iPod. Nevertheless, I still don't care about this announcement.

You would think people would stop giving a fuck by now since the only real difference in Iphones is memory space that only the most diehard of downloaders would need, and more useless features that will never be used by anyone for more than 3 seconds.

But hey, I guess I seriously underestimate the stupidity of Apple fanatics who will wait in line for the shiniest yearly lineup.

I reckon there will be at least two versions of the same phone if they do make a 5" or larger screen, an iPhone 6 and an iPhone "mini". Although screen sizes have grown there are still a lot of people that prefer a smaller form factor more suited to one handed usage, most of the other manufacturers quickly realised this and serve that market so Apple will follow that trend too.

To this day, I've never understood how there can be reports of a reveal. Doesn't that... like... ruin the reveal?

Dragonbums:
    You would think people would stop giving a fuck by now since the only real difference in Iphones is memory space that only the most diehard of downloaders would need, and more useless features that will never be used by anyone for more than 3 seconds.

But hey, I guess I seriously underestimate the stupidity of Apple fanatics who will wait in line for the shiniest yearly lineup.

Bigger screen, better camera, more memory, new APIs (in iOS 8) are "useless features?"

-Devin Connors
    Tech Editor, Lover of Useless Tech

V da Mighty Taco:
    Woohoo! New iPod! Now let me reach deep in me pockets and whip out all the fucks I don't give! :D

Okay, apologies for being a bit rude there. I've never been a fan of iPods in general due to bad personal experiences with other people's iPods and iTunes in particular, my need for my music players to not be locked to a closed platform, and my absolute hatred for any device whose sole interface is touchscreen controls. Hearing about a new iPod being released - especially when they're notorious for releasing a new version all the friggin' time while still being expensive as fuck - feels like I'm hearing an announcement of a new Madden or something and all I can feel when hearing news like this is a lot of apathy along with a bit of a desire to be a snarky twat (as demonstrated above).

err, iphone =/= ipod... then again the only thing ipods had going for them was the storage capacity, but the fact that the classics only last 2 years at most means i refuse to ever buy that shit again either.

fuck it, imma be a snarky twat too seeing as i never cared about iphones and never cared about any except one make of ipod, and thats shit too... wait up!!!

edit: there was a program recently on the BBC called 'the men who make us spend', i would recommend EVERYBODY to check it out, especially the section in episode 1 on the limited lifespan of products, then for laughs check out the people waiting in line for the new iphone. "but it comes in more colours, and its new!!!"

I have only heard it from a few sources but it seems that one of the facilities where some components of this device are assembled fired 24 workers who were union leaders of sorts and tried to enter negotiations. If there is more to this story then do tell because I am in a hurry and heading out now but yeah. If this turns out to be as black and white as depicted then I might as well casually tell as many people as possible.

EDIT: Ah, here is one of the first results on google http://www.industriall-union.org/iphone-6-supplier-nxp-ramps-up-intimidation-and-delaying-tactics . Take what you will from it as I am not sure of the site's reputation.

suitepee7:

V da Mighty Taco:
    Snip

err, iphone =/= ipod... then again the only thing ipods had going for them was the storage capacity, but the fact that the classics only last 2 years at most means i refuse to ever buy that shit again either.

fuck it, imma be a snarky twat too seeing as i never cared about iphones and never cared about any except one make of ipod, and thats shit too... wait up!!!

edit: there was a program recently on the BBC called 'the men who make us spend', i would recommend EVERYBODY to check it out, especially the section in episode 1 on the limited lifespan of products, then for laughs check out the people waiting in line for the new iphone. "but it comes in more colours, and its new!!!"

Don't worry, I'll hold the door for ya! XD

To me, iPhones have always been just an advanced model of iPod that have phone capabilities. Regardless, you are right, though I still can't muster up any excitement for this announcement either way.

The frailty of iPods, iPhones, and their ilk has been another major reason why I could never stand those things. My regular mp3's tend to stay in working order for years on end even after them getting dropped in water / soft drinks and other kinds of accidental abuse, whereas the smartphones even my careful relatives use tend to end up needing replaced every year at best, it seems. To me, basic mp3's are like AK's - they may lacking in a lot of features, but they will be cheap, reliable, and sturdy as shit compared to their competition.

Dragonbums:

The storage capacity of iPhones is shit anyway, you have to pay completely over the top prices for basic stuff like 16GB, when my Google Nexus 5 was 350 for a top end 32GB version.

And the world shrugged in indifference.

When Mr. Jobs was alive I remember people going absolutely nuts for the new reveals from Apple. Several people I know wouldn't talk about anything else for ages -you know, the people that instantly swapped all their stuff for shiny white Apple products once the original iPhone showed up. Not much of that enthusiasm left, maybe Apple is losing their touch without the old boss to charisma things along.

endtherapture:

Dragonbums:

The storage capacity of iPhones is shit anyway, you have to pay completely over the top prices for basic stuff like 16GB, when my Google Nexus 5 was 350 for a top end 32GB version.

I have a generation 2 Ipod touch with 8GB of space and after 6 fucking years of owning the thing, not only does it still work, but I STILL haven't filled up the space on it.

So what's a 32GB Ipod/phone to me?

Devin Connors:

Dragonbums:

Bigger screen, better camera, more memory, new APIs (in iOS 8) are "useless features?"

-Devin Connors
    Tech Editor, Lover of Useless Tech

The bigger screen is the only one of those features that would have a noteworthy impact on most peoples day-to-day use. What people actually need is longer battery life and better antennas.

Yeah, typically around September-October is when we get the official hardware announcements. I look forward to seeing which leaks turned out to be correct and which were red herrings

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here