Elon Musk, SpaceX Choose South Texas Site for New Private Spaceport

Elon Musk, SpaceX Choose South Texas Site for New Private Spaceport

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch 310x

The new Texas SpaceX site near Brownsville will be the first privately-owned vertical launch rocket facility in the world.

SpaceX has finally chosen the site for its new vertical rocket launch facility, and The Lone Star State is the lucky winner.

The Elon Musk-owned, Southern California-based space rocket designer-builder will build the world's first privately-owned, vertical rocket-friendly spaceport in Boca Chica Beach in South Texas, near the city of Brownsville. The announcement comes after Texas Governor Rick Perry, and the state legislature promised incentive cash for the project. Those funds come in to the tune of $2.3 million from the Texas Enterprise Fund, $13 million from the SpacePort Trust Fund, and an additional $5 million from local Texas government entities.

"Texas has been on the forefront of our nation's space exploration efforts for decades, so it is fitting that SpaceX has chosen our state as they expand the frontiers of commercial space flight," said Governor Perry in a statement on his office's official website. "In addition to growing the aerospace industry in Texas, SpaceX's facility will provide myriad opportunities for STEM education in South Texas, and inspire a new generation of Texas engineers and innovators."

"STEM education" refers to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics efforts in public school classes in the United States.

Georgia, Florida, and Puerto Rico were also being considered for the new facility before Musk and Co. chose Texas.

SpaceX, which launched its latest Falcon 9 rocket earlier today, expects to bring $85 million in investment dollars to its new launch home. Approximately 300 new jobs will come from the site as well.

Brownsville is infamously known as the poorest city in America, so here's hoping the new launch site will inject some much needed capital and resources into the region.

Additional Source: Bloomberg

Awesome!! This is my hometown and this is just about the most exciting thing that's ever happened.

*6 hours later*

AND THE CROWD GOES MILD!

*crickets*

Actual science and business news gets passed up :\

OT: I'm warming up to SpaceX. I still don't like that they get money from the government that SHOULD be going to NASA (god forbid we ever actually fund NASA), but on the list of things that money could be going to, SpaceX is still high on the list. And hey, keeping space in my state is always a plus. Though they probably could have chosen a better place than Brownsville.

Sweet, maybe by creating jobs in Texas, that will encourage Texans to stop moving to my state. I already see waaaay too many Texas plates on the road during rush hour, no way they are all just visiting.

People who typically complain about NASA being a waste of taxpayer money giving government money to a private fucking space program... I'm very annoyed.

There's some shady deals and no-bid contracts being made here, without a doubt. Especially with Perry wanting this so bad. That fundie climate change and marriage equality denying flat-earther and the people that elected him shouldn't be rewarded with science and technology jobs. It's insulting.

crimson5pheonix:

OT: I'm warming up to SpaceX. I still don't like that they get money from the government that SHOULD be going to NASA (god forbid we ever actually fund NASA), but on the list of things that money could be going to, SpaceX is still high on the list. And hey, keeping space in my state is always a plus. Though they probably could have chosen a better place than Brownsville.

In shock new business development fund, funds business development. This money is not now and will never go to NASA, its funds from the taxpayers of the state of Texas being spent to provided jobs in Texas and thats it.

Nurb:
People who typically complain about NASA being a waste of taxpayer money giving government money to a private fucking space program... I'm very annoyed.

There's some shady deals and no-bid contracts being made here, without a doubt. Especially with Perry wanting this so bad. That fundie climate change and marriage equality denying flat-earther and the people that elected him shouldn't be rewarded with science and technology jobs. It's insulting.

Just who do you think you are to decide who does and does or deserve a job. Its the same old liberal anyone who disagrees with me is bigot argument. Scratch a liberal and you find an aristocrat, only the best people should decide who is worthy and who isn't, those common peoples votes shouldn't count when they disagree with my opinion.

I don't think I will ever understand the differences between the US and UK usage of the word 'liberal'. It's used in a pretty derogatory manner in the US, but if someone called me a liberal I'd feel complimented.

OT: Yay SpaceX. I hope they create a lot of work to people and take me to Mars one day where we can re-enact DOOM with airsoft guns and Halloween costumes.

Nurb:

so, the poor in Brownsville shouldn't be allowed to have jobs because of this since you disagree with Perry?

Wow, Nurb, confirmed to hate the poor.

albino boo:

crimson5pheonix:

In shock new business development fund, funds business development. This money is not now and will never go to NASA, its funds from the taxpayers of the state of Texas being spent to provided jobs in Texas and thats it.

snip

Sorry, I meant in a general sense. SpaceX gets money from the federal government while NASA's budget gets cut every year. It annoys me, but at least is going there instead of, say, more military contracts.

crimson5pheonix:

Sorry, I meant in a general sense. SpaceX gets money from the federal government while NASA's budget gets cut every year. It annoys me, but at least is going there instead of, say, more military contracts.

Again SpaceX has contracts with NASA and does not receive federal funding independent of NASA. SpaceX is used for launches by the US government on a purely commercial basis, largely because it cheaper. Also with shuttle gone and there was problem with delta rockets a few years back left the US with no domestic launch capability. This taught the US government not put all its eggs in one basket.

Nurb:

The area this will provide jobs for is highly hispanic and generally democratic/liberal. Who gives a fuck about Perry and his beliefs? Not all of Texas is full of right wing radicals.

albino boo:

crimson5pheonix:

Again SpaceX has contracts with NASA and does not receive federal funding independent of NASA. SpaceX is used for launches by the US government on a purely commercial basis, largely because it cheaper. Also with shuttle gone and there was problem with delta rockets a few years back left the US with no domestic launch capability. This taught the US government not put all its eggs in one basket.

SpaceX has contracts outside of NASA as well and they're still using money NASA could have used itself. We had a new rocket system in the works before the government decided we didn't need our own rocket and has paid NASA to outsource the rocket design. That money that is going to SpaceX through NASA could have just been kept in house by NASA for their own rocket, but the government has the general attitude of "fuck NASA".

That being said, at least SpaceX is getting it instead of the military.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here