You can Now Explore Surface of Mars, the Moon in Google Maps

You can Now Explore Surface of Mars, the Moon in Google Maps

Street View fans will have to wait a while before they can explore Olympus Mons.

The hunt for Marvin the Martian begins now!

To celebrate the second anniversary of NASA's Curiosity Mars rover, the Moon and Mars are now included in Google Earth.

Once you fire up Google Maps, click on Earth View (button in lower right). Zoom all the way out, click the Explore tab in the lower right, and select your celestial body of choice.

Naturally, the images used for Mars and the Moon aren't as high-res as though for the Earth, so Street View mode isn't available. However, you can still explore the surface and the major landmarks -- Olympus Mons, Sea of Tranquility, et al.

Be sure to count all the meteor strikes, and drop your totals in the comments.

If you thought Google Earth got boring fast...

I thought Mars and Moon have been included in GE for 5 years. What's new exactly?

Its all good exploring Mars and the Moon. But isnt all just the same.....rock. Though i do feel sorry for the guy driving the google photo car taking all the pictures. :-)

Doesn't work for me
"To see 3D imagery in Google Maps, your computer needs to meet the following requirements:

The latest version of one of the following browsers:
Google Chrome
Firefox
Opera
One of the following operating systems:
Mac OS 10.8.3+
Windows 7, 8, or 8.1
Chrome OS with an Intel CPU
Linux"

I use windows XP and I don't figure they'll fix it anytime soon.

Sgt. Sykes:
I thought Mars and Moon have been included in GE for 5 years. What's new exactly?

Yeah second that...I seem to remember looking at it briefly and getting bored some time ago.

I think I can see my house on these pictures!

Is the moon landing in there too? I would actually look at this view thing for once.

Sgt. Sykes:

Yeah, good to see I'm not the only one. Almost thought I had imagined that.

I think you should make sure to not mistake Google Earth and Google Map, or else it'll get very confusing.

This is new for Google Maps, it's been in Earth for a while. Otherwise how would I know their flight model won't let you pilot an F-16 over Olympus Mons, because the air is too thin at that altitude?

If you can view Mars and the Moon then clearly it is no longer Google Earth.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here