DC Blinks First: Batman v Superman Won't Compete with Captain America 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DC Blinks First: Batman v Superman Won't Compete with Captain America 3

Batfleck Batman v Superman

Warner Bros has shifted Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice to a March release -- as well as setting the schedule for as yet unknown DC movies.

Hooray! We won't have to make the tough choice on whether we want to see Batman v Superman or Captain America 3 on May 6, 2016, because DC has moved Dawn of Justice to March 25, 2016. (Hm, could the massive success of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy have anything to do with this? Probably!) With this date shift, there are also a host of dates reserved for future, unnamed DC movies. The current schedule:

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - 03/25/16
Untitled DC Film - 08/05/16
Untitled DC Film - 06/23/17
Untitled DC Film - 11/17/17
Untitled DC Film - 03/23/18
Untitled DC Film - 07/27/18
Untitled WB Event Film - 11/16/18
Untitled DC Film - 04/05/19
Untitled DC Film - 06/14/19
Untitled DC Film - 04/03/20
Untitled DC Film - 06/19/20
Untitled WB Event Film - 11/20/20

These dates don't exactly line up with previous rumors about a massive planned DC universe, building into Justice League, to rival Marvel's growing cinematic empire. However, there are more dates reserved here than the rumored slate of Batman v Superman, Shazam, Sandman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern team-up, and Man of Steel 2... but what exactly each of these dates is reserved for, we can only speculate. (Here's to hoping that Wonder Woman is on the first half of that agenda.)

Source: Deadline

What a shock.

Kinda feel sorry for DC. I mean, their current movie offerings probably would have been considered great if they'd been released, say, ten years ago.

But in the current climate they're just Those Superhero Movies Not Made by Marvel, and they know it.

No confidence in your new movie eh, DC? Just like most of the world.

Jeremy Dawkins:

Honestly can you blame them? I'm sure the film will be good. It could even be great. It has a shit load of talented people working on it and a stellar cast, yes even Gal Gadot. I'm sure it would be a different story if Man of Steel had better reviews instead of the mixed ones and made a bit more money. Also after Winter Soldier Cap would probably be the last Marvel series I'd want to go up against. People are saying that Winter Soldier is going to be one of those legendary comic book movies that people talk about years down the road.

For them right now it probably is the best choice to play it safe. So they can get their money and if the film is good so they can start building the loyalty that Marvel films have. They aren't in a position to compete directly with something like Captain America. It'd be like a level 5 Bulbasaur going up against a level 50 Charizard. We all know how this is going to end.

Jeremy Dawkins:

I think it's slightly more complicated than that. Regardless of their confidence in the movie - and I have to assume they have a lot - the fact is that they've already made a couple of blunders, first and foremost the fact that WB apparently didn't even have anything in actual development for the DCCU that could have gone into production the second they decided Man of Steel was a hit. I mean, they had a deal with Snyder that he'd do it, obviously, but they didn't have any pre production on anything in real terms. Hell, they still haven't bothered to announce whatever the hell movies they're planning to fit into those release dates. EDIT: Yes the original release date for BVS was july, 2015, but then they pushed it to 2016 soon after. So they really didn't have anything.

Which means, in the three years between Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, Marvel will have had Thor 2, Cap 2, Guardians, Avengers 2, and Ant-Man. After the success of guardians, DC/WB know for a fact that the Marvel brand name is solid gold. They also know that their entire plans for a DC Cinematic Universe completely and totally depends on Batman v Superman hitting big. Obviously, it was stupid of them not to have had something in production they could have released in 2015, but that's too late now. So they're doing the smart thing and moving BVS to a release slot where it will be able to breathe and succeed on its own, without the added risk of everyone noticing if it fails to beat Cap 3. Especially because if it failed to beat Cap 3 during release weekend, then the internet chatter would be that it sucks, regardless of quality.

Of course, now they have the humiliation of everyone knowing that they staked out that release date first, then marvel just moved in and DC/WB blinked. If I were DC/WB, I'd be planning a seriously big announcement for very soon, something like Wonder Woman will be the film released in August of 2016.

Sort of hard to compete with Marvel. They have had a couple bad movies, but they've been having a hell of a run for the last 5 years. DC has had what... arguably 3 decent movies, all of them being batman. and even then the first and third were sort of median. Meanwhile Guardians of the Galaxy is already making near 200 million in a week, the Avengers closed with 1.5 billion dollars in the bank. Trying to put anything up against a Marvel movie, especially something that has the crowd skeptical like a new batman change, is suicide.

I went to an all boys school, there's only one way to handle this...

PUUUUUUSSSYS!

No offense intended to any cats who may read this. Probably for the best DC, you gotta Rocky that shit, lift a few rocks, bench a few wagons, THEN take on the mountain.

I'm not surprised, saw it coming a mile away. This was kind of inevitable given the whole issue of just which brand names where fighting.

But man, those 11 films look pretty... uninteresting, given the lack of actual names attached to them. Though I do hope it means Marvel will increase production, even if only with lower budget movies (20-50 million) for the off season. I'd probably go and see a few of those out of interest and would probably buy them.

Now that I think about it though, does this mean DC may actually move from 4th place up to 2nd? I mean, Sony has all of 2 movies and only 2 in production at any level, with pretty long periods until release, and Fox isn't going nearly as quickly with their own movies.

The funny thing is I don't think Marvel wants DC to fail. They don't want DC's success to come at their expense, but wouldn't have an issue if they both did well.

I'm not so confident about how Disney and Warner Bros feel.

Captcha: for sure

It was only a matter of time before DC moved it. No surprise there, since Marvel flat out said they weren't moving Cap3. While I kind of wanted to see what would happen, it's better for both franchises this way. I am kind of surprised at how many dates they have lined up for future films.

y'know...that's an awful lot of "Untitled DC Film"s...

as a non American...i can see Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman as genuinely "iconic"...which is a pretty big deal given the comics these characters come from basically haven't been historically sold here and still pretty much aren't outside a one very small chain of shops (Forbidden Planet)...

that is to say "US comic book culture" ISN'T universal.

but frankly every other DC "property"..."seems a bit shit"...and doesn't in the slightest pique my interest...

...and i'm a geek/nerd whatever, who used to go to Forbidden Planets, with far more interest in this sorta thing than most of the people around me.

even the next in line in the pantheon...Aquaman...all i know about him is he's supposedly sucks, lives in/is king of the sea, seems a bit like "the man from atlantis" (an old 70s TV show staring Patrick Duffy) and can control fish...which totally sounds like he was last in line for superpowers tbth...and as i said before "a bit shit".

"i gotta bad feeling about this"

i think they are overplaying their hand...and i think, in all honesty, they don't have much of an international hand to begin with outside the 3 i originally mentioned...although those 3 are the aces of the entire comic book industries deck.

ps 4th ace ? Spiderman i reckon.

Sleekit:
y'know...that's an awful lot of "Untitled DC Film"s...

as a non American...i can see Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman as genuinely "iconic"...which is a pretty big deal given the comics these characters come from basically haven't been historically sold here and still pretty much aren't outside a one very small chain of shops (Forbidden Planet)...

that is to say "US comic book culture" ISN'T universal.

but frankly every other DC "property"..."seems a bit shit"...and doesn't in the slightest pique my interest...

...and i'm a geek/nerd whatever, who used to go to Forbidden Planets, with far more interest in this sorta thing than most of the people around me.

even the next in line in the pantheon...Aquaman...all i know about him is he's supposedly sucks, lives in/is king of the sea, seems a bit like "the man from atlantis" (an old 70s TV show staring Patrick Duffy) and can control fish...which totally sounds like he was last in line for superpowers tbth...and as i said before "a bit shit".

"i gotta bad feeling about this"

i think they are overplaying their hand...and i think, in all honesty, they don't have much of an international hand to begin with outside the 3 i originally mentioned...although those 3 are the aces of the entire comic book industries deck.

ps 4th ace ? Spiderman i reckon.

actually Aquaman as a character and Super Hero isn't shit at all, he is quite powerful. just most of his useful powers everyone else already has, and his unique powers are very situational. his main problem though has been shit writers who didn't give a shit about the character, and were upset they couldn't something more popular like Batman or Superman.

Zhukov:
Kinda feel sorry for DC. I mean, their current movie offerings probably would have been considered great if they'd been released, say, ten years ago.

Except for the first two Dark Knight movies, they would just be those movies not made by Sony, since they'd be butting heads with Xmen 1/2 and Spider Man 1/2 (see for reference, Catwoman, Superman Returns).

Green Lantern could come out in any era and it would still be a turd. The other two recent DC movies might have fit better in the early nineties when everyone got a bit carried away with dark and edgy, but in an era where an animated Raccoon be taken completely seriously as a dramatic character it just comes across as posturing and unnecessary.

KazeAizen:

Honestly can you blame them?

Not on the lack of confidence in the film, but perhaps in their decision to try and make a franchise out of one of the more questionable recent superhero movies.

The sad thing is that the justice league used to be my avengers. Back when they were just a paul dini and bruce timm cartoon, they were fantastic. Justice League Unlimited had so many good episodes, and each one would have a different team up of heroes. It was like getting a different 22 minute avengers movie every damn week and it was awesome.

Now we've decided that for some reason aliens from other planets with heat vision and super strength need to be all realistic and gritty. As if the very notion of being colorful is like poison.

No worries, though. I've got marvel now.

And let us not forget that DC only moved BvS to that May date in the first place (it had been slotted for 2015, but then they figured it wouldn't be ready in time) to try and take Marvel down a peg by forcing them to move aside. It was an incredibly juvenile show of bullying... showing up with the big hyped DC team-up movie and setting it against a Marvel solo outing.

You know, you could make a meta-comic out of this. DC figured Cap wouldn't dare take on Batman AND Superman without the rest of the Avengers backing him up. But instead, Cap said "No, you move," and lo and behold, Captain America fought off Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all at once.

fix-the-spade:

Zhukov:

Except for the first two Dark Knight movies, they would just be those movies not made by Sony, since they'd be butting heads with Xmen 1/2 and Spider Man 1/2.

Those were actually the exact films I was thinking of.

I'm pretty sure Man of Steel would have crushed the likes of X-Men 1&2. And that's coming from someone who didn't much like MoS, except for the one action scene.

Don't know about the Spider Man movies. My opinion of them seems to differ from the standard. I thought they were rubbish when I first watched them (second one had some good bits though) . I was very surprised to learn that they were well regarded by both geeks and the wider public.

Hahaha. Called it. Of course they moved it. They're not stupid enough to compete with Cap 3.

Zachary Amaranth:

KazeAizen:

Honestly can you blame them?

Not on the lack of confidence in the film, but perhaps in their decision to try and make a franchise out of one of the more questionable recent superhero movies.

Fair enough. Still its not like Amazing Spider-man and it hasn't had the chance to spin out of control yet like that already has. Man of Steel is still good enough that if they take away Goyer and keep Affleck on board throughout the process they could turn it into something special.

I think they should have stood firm on this one, as my money says that Batman v Superman would trounce Cap'n 3 based purely on the fact that it's a movie with Batman and Superman...and they're apparently going to fight at some point.

I think moving the film earlier just makes sense given the release schedule they've posted. If they'd kept BvS where it was they'd not only have to compete against Cap but they'd be trying to build hype for "Untitled DC Film - 08/05/16" right after people had seen two superhero films. So to not move would probably be sabotaging two films for DC even if BvS was more popular than Cap 3.

As I stated over in the Off Topic thread "Poll: Batman v. Superman, or Captain America 3?" the certainty that they would move has more to do with their overall business practices than anything else.

While that poll can hardly be considered "representative", even as a "mild indicator" it makes it very clear that DC opening a film against Marvel serves only to lose them money. My contention in that thread was that I hardly believed DC intended to maintain that date because what they do is react to the news cycle, and when Marvel is in the news, they tend to invent news that draws the spotlight back to them. I believe that original announcement was always such a fabrication to elevate their profile in the news.
Now, as Bob pointed out, Guardians is a groundbreaking success for Marvel. They are huge in the news right now, and for legitimate reason.

DC had to get the attention back on them any way they could. They already revealed as much of each character in the upcoming film as they are willing too... so now it's time to say they are moving the date... again...
And even if they can't claim "bragging rights" for beating Marvel in the same weekend... even if it exposes them in a negative light, at least they are in the news again. And that is inherently how they think they will succeed best with the product that they provide. P.R. and publicity.
And ACTUALLY pitting themselves against Marvel, film against film in the same weekend, and by their own choosing, was always going to cost them more money than they stood to make.

Because if all the evidence of DC/WB's behavior since the launch of New 52 reflects one thing about their guiding principle: It's MONEY.
Not passion for fans, story, comic culture, or even the source material they use.

Marvel shows passion. DC states it.

Well that was quick..I was just reading a thread regarding this like an hour ago as to which of the two studios will decide to "blink" first.

Guess now we know. Afraid of Cpt America 3 eh DC/WB? Thought Batman V Superman was your big blockbuster.

I think this was more out of capitalizing on their profits so as not to have to compete, it's a common practice really, most of the all time successful movies are because nothing else was available, see titanic and avatar.

As for how this and amazing spider seem to be perceived as blundering next to the marvel movies well money wise both Man of steel, Amazing spider man 1 and 2 can compete with a large number of Marvel movies.

Apart from the huge success of iron man 3 and the avengers, these movies can compete with Marvel financially and compared to the first movie in the marvel line up (The incredible hulk) They are fucking spectacular success.

Feel free to dislike the movies but please don't keep saying that they are financial disasters when they make a profit just as easily as marvel.

RJ 17:
I think they should have stood firm on this one, as my money says that Batman v Superman would trounce Cap'n 3 based purely on the fact that it's a movie with Batman and Superman...and they're apparently going to fight at some point.

I really want to believe that just because DC would make more money that Marvel on just overall name recognition alone... Sure, Cap 3 would could be the better movie overall, but money still talks and the "general public" would still pick DC just out of curiosity, especially if they already know that Cap 3's going to be better anyway...

OT: On the one hand, they shouldn't have done that...

On the other hand, why make money off your "competition" instead of just making money on your own right, alone?

Plus, that two week (or so) gap should do the trick if Ninja Turtles ends up like most people would think will happen this upcoming weekend...

KazeAizen:
It has a shit load of talented people working on it . . .

And also Zack Snyder.
http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Its no coincidence that this decision was made on the heels of GOTG dominating the box office.

Keiichi Morisato:

Sleekit:
*snip*

actually Aquaman as a character and Super Hero isn't shit at all, he is quite powerful. just most of his useful powers everyone else already has, and his unique powers are very situational. his main problem though has been shit writers who didn't give a shit about the character, and were upset they couldn't something more popular like Batman or Superman.

at some point i meant to say "no offence to DC fans" in that post but i seem to have forgotten to stick it in somewhere.

please understand i was speaking as a genuinely ignorant foreigner who has virtually no familiarity with the character or the comics.

i was just trying to suggest that all these other DC heroes are not very well known or appreciated outside the US and so this list of films seems like a pretty big gamble from DC given the budgets that will likely be spent on them so they look up to par with the competition and the healthy world box office returns that will have to come in to cover profit over and above that spend.

i guess what i'm saying in a nutshell is i don't think the rest of the world appreciates these other heroes nearly as much as fans like you do.

Flash and Green Lantern team-up

*spit-take*

What?! They want to stick the only non-batman DC superhero I like in a team-up with the main character of the most disappointing and outright stupid superhero movies in recent memory?!

That...Wow. I'm not that big a DC fan, and aside from The Dark Knight, I haven't really enjoyed or cared enough to watch their other movies.

A Flash movie was just about the only thing that could convince me, and then they plan THAT.

...No thank you, Warner Bros.

EDIT: I know that it's unconfirmed. But STILL! x_x

RJ Dalton:

KazeAizen:
It has a shit load of talented people working on it . . .

And also Zack Snyder.
http://www.sadtrombone.com/

I am not amused. Not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic.

300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians the Owls of Gahoole.

No surprise not with standing that Marvel are quite literally hitting anything and everything they stick on screen out of the park, GOG take a bow please. My release dates may be off here but isn't the third Cap movie going to be the first of the Phase 3 movies? As such it will suffer from the Iron Man 3 effect.

Iron Man 3 effect: The effect of riding the coat tales of a preceeing movie of such awesomeness that even if your movie isn't really that good it will still take a huge and stupid amount of money. Point and fact Iron Man 3 has taken more cash than any of the other Phase 2 Movies (save maybe GOG but we will have to wait and see) yet Iron Man 3 was easily the worst of the Phase 3 movies.

Anybody else notice that Warner Bros/DC seems to going for the same type of schedule that Disney/Marvel has? The 2 movies released every year type of thing?

Surprising absolutely no one. Not only because the Marvel movies have been better. Not only because Guardians of the Galaxy currently looks like a home run (Great reviews and tons of money). But also because it would be stupid to try to compete with your closest competition within the same time frame. It'd be like opening a Mobile Suit Gundam adaption opposite Pacific Rim 2. You're going to split the audience and kill your profits.

Someone was going to blink, and considering how the movies have been received, it's no surprise it was DC.

Wonder if and by how much this could affect ticket sales for both movies.

After all DC has shown to not have as much faith in their movie whereas Marvel does.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here