Joss Whedon: I Would Not Want DC to Do What Marvel Does

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Joss Whedon: I Would Not Want DC to Do What Marvel Does

Avengers director Joss Whedon says both DC and Marvel has movies he adores, and also thinks the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy will get "mixed together" at some point since "it's Marvel."

With DC and Marvel both turning their comic book franchises into feature films, it's understandable that fans will compare the two universes. Even Avengers director Joss Whedon weighed in on the subject. In a video interview with Nerd HQ, Whedon admits both companies have movies he adores and ones he's not very fond of. Also, he doesn't think DC should follow Marvel's route in translating comics to movies.

I think that both studios [Marvel and Warner/DC] have kind of different agendas, different ways of approaching the superhero genre, and the ethos of the thing, and the esthetic. They go very dark and serious and sometimes it works amazingly, and Marvel tends to be a little lighter. Both have movies that I adore, and both have movies that I'm like... [pulls a face which suggests he's less keen], including bits of my own. I would not want them to do what Marvel does. I like what they do when they get it right.

Whedon mentions that Christoper Nolan' Batman Begins, and Heath Ledger's work in The Dark Knight were standouts in the DC Cinematic Universe. Just yesterday, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige talked about the Avengers' eventual team up with The Guardians of the Galaxy crew. Now, in the same interview, Joss Whedon also spoke out on when the Avengers might team up with The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Kevin [Feige] has a big plan and every now and then, he'll tell me part of it if he thinks it's going to affect what I'm doing or if he thinks what I'm doing is going to affect his...But as much as possible, I try to live in my own bubble. Guardians is very much its own thing. They're not the Guardians of this galaxy; it's a different one. So, I can sort of keep them at arm's length, long enough to do my thing and then I'm sure everything is going to get mixed together because it's Marvel.

In related news, Whedon announced yesterday that filming on Avengers: Age of Ultron has wrapped up, though he has a ton of work ahead of him in post-production work to ensure the movie meets its May 2015 release schedule.

Do you agree with Whedon that DC shouldn't copy what Marvel is doing when it comes to movies? If so, what direction should DC take to ensure it can have the same success as its rival?

Source: Nerd HQ via IGN

DC isn't copying what Marvel is doing. They started off with Man of Steel obviously, and are introduce the JL in the next film. I think it's going to be a quicker route to a JL film rather than building up the universe with a bunch of small teasers at the end of the film, it's going to be a faster route than Marvel, with a different tone, and that's fine.

What, you mean make good movies? Well yeah, then you would have competition.

no DC shouldn't do what Marvel is doing but it's kinda obvious DC feels pressured to do what Marvel is doing because we went from "no plans for Justice league" to "Ok we're doing Justice League" in less than a week, weather it'll pan out is a different matter but Dawn of justice has a lot of work to prove that the idea can work after the rather divided audience opinion on Man of Steel and the lacklustre Green Lantern outing.

I'd like to hope that Dawn of justice turns out to be a good movie though in the end I doubt it'll matter, Dawn of Justice and Justice League will make a pile of money regardless of quality.

I think I would like it if DC didn't try to tie all their heroes together and just let each franchise be its own thing. I don't like how they are trying to make a whole universe in just one (or two if MoS counts) movie(s). If your going to make a whole comic movie universe, follow Marvel's lead. Give each character their own movie to establish who they are in this universe. Though they don't have to one giant crossover like The Averngers. For example they could do a Batman movie and a Superman movie this year and then next year do Superman Vs. Batman movie plus a Wonder Woman movie and than do a Superman & Wonder Woman movie the next year or something.

I just wish one of the companies would focus on making standalone movies instead of trying to create a huge clusterfuck of pointless continuity. Maybe the new superman movie wouldn't be so dreaded if it wasn't trying to set up on million movies and maybe Iron Man 2 wouldn't have sucked so much if it hadn't wasted so much time on irrelevant Avengers plot points Heck, even Amazing Spideman seems to be suffering from trying to kickstart the sinister six movie. It's fine that one company is trying to do it, but i wish it wouldn't bleed into everything else.

They should get off their ass, grow some balls, and actually show what they came up with for the last 20 years. Don't bother with hollywood writers and their fanfiction, just translate the comics to movies like their successful animated division.

Whats the point of hiring writers if you ain't gonna use them and hire someone else?

Suicide squad would make a great movie. And DC's dark tone would work great here. They could beat other action movies like the expendables.

Do those expendable geezers fight a huge OMAC and have a guy who chopped a ICBM in half mid launch with a katana while also fighting super russians? No? Instant win.

They can even get Catwoman into the mix with her own movie. Its automatically better than Wonder Woman and would get praised like Frozen if its not pandering shit. Since her adventures tend to involve strategy, explosions, and crazy gadgets it appelas to women and men.

Even Harley Quin could get her misadventures on film. Have it be a dark comedy.

Or you can go cerebral with Gothtopia and give inception a run for its money.

Or you can do Batman Incorporated. Which has a super powered BAT COW and a Japanese Batman with a school girl sidekick. Also a British knight fighting British dinosaurs in bowler hats with laser guns. Who wouldn't want to see that?

DC has plenty of opportunity and tons of resources to draw on spanning decades. They have areas where Marvel doesn't or can't go; But if its too scared to do anything with it then they will still fail.

I think they should have left this as a BvS movie so it would build on both characters and have Wonder Woman at the end break up the fight and tell them about the JL. Then they could show the other JL members as an end credit sequence. I just dont know how they can build on the relationships between the characters, tell the origins and ontop of that you have the main plot of the movie. Maybe it will turn out they have an amazing script that fits it all in.

I really hope DC pulls this off and BvS is amazing. Im sure even if they are rushing to get to a JL movie, im sure they wouldnt invest in a movie with a crap script.

endtherapture:
DC isn't copying what Marvel is doing. They started off with Man of Steel obviously, and are introduce the JL in the next film. I think it's going to be a quicker route to a JL film rather than building up the universe with a bunch of small teasers at the end of the film, it's going to be a faster route than Marvel, with a different tone, and that's fine.

That's exactly what he was talking about - creating also one "massive crossover movie in a shared universe of films". Just because DC does it faster doesn't mean DC is doing something different. They do the same (and most likely simply because Marvel did it and it worked).

DC did some good work with the Dark Knight Trilogy (Mostly), but I think that has less to do with DC and more to do with the vision of Christopher Nolan. Now that he's distancing himself from all that I wonder how far they can go just aping his style. It didn't really work in Man of Steel, and nothing they've shown for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Such a dumb title) is giving me any faith that they're gonna make it work this time.

I want it to be good! I was always a DC guy as a kid. I wouldn't mind being one again.

Yeah, if DC would make actual good movies Marvel would have competition.

I think DC should pick a cannon and stick with it. There's retconning in Marvel movies, but DC is all over the place.

I think people are misunderstanding what Whedon is saying. He is talking about the film style not how they build the universe. He likes the fact that DC focuses more on the darker side of heroes because if both studios did similar light hearted movies then they would feel too similar.

I actually liked Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice is looking interesting just from what is being revealed so I hope it does well and we get too uniquely different film universes competing against each other. The only problem is I really don't want four super hero films every year. I love super heroes but I may start skipping them if I have to potentially see Thor, Batman, Shazam and Doctor Strange all in one year. Sure sounds fun now but if it keeps happening year after year it will get tiring.

I want the DCAU writers to do a series of DC live action movies and build 'em together into the Justice League. They are far more capable either than the Man of Steel writers or any of the Marvel cinematic universe writers.

P.S. Thanks

To me DC is doing great. The Dark Knight Trilogy, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, (the divided) Man of Steel, RED. Not to mention their TV shows are looking great so far too and their games recently have been amazing. Also their animated movies are still great! DC have nothing to worry about really. After SDCC they got great press coverage and continue to do so. I'm with Whedon on this, DC need to do their own thing and they are.

Covarr:
I want the DCAU writers to do a series of DC live action movies and build 'em together into the Justice League...

I think that's exactly the problem. It's like, after Avengers made a billion, executives at Warner Bros (I'm guessing they are more of a problem than DC execs) went "What the heck? Got on this *now* and make Justice League!"

Except Avengers was the culmination, the payoff, of the 5 movies that came before it building the world and establishing the characters. That was the reason for the strength of Avengers financially - it appealed to more than just comic fans. But now characters are being stuffed into Dawn of Justice and 'normal' people are going to feel lost and left out. DC needs their Kevin Feige - a comic person pulling the strings, not bean counter execs.

The one thing they are probably getting right is avoiding another Batman origin. Ideally the DC 'phase 1' would be something like:
Superman (aka Man of Steel)
Wonder Woman
Flash
Superman 2 feat. Batman
Green Lantern feat. Superman
Justice League

Whedon shouldn't worry. DC are as committed to the DCMU as Italy was to the Second World War. Yeah, you did well with a couple previous outings, but you're doing too much too fast, bitten off more than you can chew. Bat's V Sups has to introduce what, 4 new heroes and (Maybe) 2 Villains.

Granted, Batman is Batman, but still, you have to introduce him in this new world you have to build. Then Wonder Woman, who's origin is baffling and weird, given how often they change, Lex Luthor is fairly straight forward, money and power corrupts, but then Aquaman and Cyborg, who have been oddly absent from promotional, which hints to some shame that they're involved. That's another issue, shame. If no one making these seems proud to have Aquaman, god of the ocean, or Cyborg, badass super smart cyborg (Robocop but with emotions), in their production, that speaks volumes for the rest of the universe.

How do you introduce the fantastical elements of the JLA like Zatanna or the Martian Manhunter? Will they be ignored in fear of being laughed out the cinema or will they make them Grimdark and 'Realistic'?

And, on my own personal note, why the hell should I care for a movie franchise that so far has shown me that all it want's is Grimdark serious? And has shown me that it shall keep that? It's not like Flash or Arrow are being part of it, a misstep if any.

At least Marvel took there time before the Money shot that was Avengers. DC seem to just want to shoot their load of the JLA as soon as possible so it doesn't get embarrassed by it.

*sighs* It's times like this where I feel like the DC live-action movies should have done what the animated movies did, only using the same actors just to establish character consistencies with the story-telling in general... I mean, they can still tell "original" stories that are "barely" based on any one storyline from the comics, but the fact that they would have this kind of "James Bond"-esque way of presentation (since every James Bond movie is always played by the same actor until "further notice", basically) would have been pretty interesting feet to do that feels like something DC would do when you think about it...

Regardless, both sides are taking different approaches to how they're doing their movies despite some "glaring" similarities that will keep popping up as the years go by... and, honestly, I do kinda want to see the future DC live-action movies succeed in their own right and not through "beating" Marvel at the box office when the time comes...

Yes and no. They shouldn't copy Marvel. Few, if any, are ever successful simply by copying what the most popular asshole is doing. And giving us all the same thing with different characters and settings will get old unless different spins are being done on them. Yes, Marvel and DC should be different in how they approach things in order to make sure people understand the different brands if they want to keep any semblance of "brand loyalty.

THAT BEING SAID... it wouldn't hurt either Marvel or DC to take notes from what the other is doing and apply them to their movies when it counts. Winter Soldier is arguably one of the best in the MCU simply because it had lots of darker/heavier tones like you'd see in Dark Knight, but it still retained the overall tone and feel of being a Captain America film. And DC could certainly stand to add more color or optimism in their films instead of just being Frank Miller's masturbation material. Again, keep doing what you guys think is best, but do be open to modifying and changing small details to help improve your productions.

The only DC stuff I actually liked was Nolan's trilogy and the TV shows surrounding the DC characters/universe be it animated cartoons or otherwise (Arrow being a very good TV show).

Everything else was meh at best.

Should they copy Marvel? Hell no. But they should at least pick up on what Marvel has done right. Marvel has recognized that each of their separate properties has its own tone and genre. Captain America is a modern action spy setting. Thor is a more traditional fantasy. Guardians of the Galaxy is pure Space Opera. They let their IP be itself, and still manage to bridge it together.

But DC started from the extreme point, the Dark Knight, and has seemingly tried to shoehorn that style and genre into them all. Love or hate Man of Steel it was a horrible Superman movie because it was trying to be The Dark Knight. DC tries to match up the universe first then bends the characters and story to fit. Marvel lets the characters and stories be their classic selves, then just glues them together at the edges.

The first thing DC needs to do is fire the guy who is so overly fond of the colors blue and orange.

AntiChri5:
What, you mean make good movies? Well yeah, then you would have competition.

Ha ha :>

OT: I think both companies should do what fits the story they want to tell, and what fits the superhero in general. Making the Batman movies dark and realistic works VERY well because Batman doesnt have a lot of fancy superpowers, and his villains can often be on the dark and insane side.

Doing Batman like for example Iron Man or Spider man would be.....unfitting.

The other side of the coin is Superman. He is the other side of good compared to Batman and I really thought they missed the mark with Man of Steel. Superman was too down to earth...hehe...He should have been lighter, in heart.

Depends on the story, and depends on the hero. Gritty can work as well as hearty laughs.

There you go, Marvel's heart of hearts gives a professional, level-headed appreceation of what two different studios are doing with the superhero genre. Wasn't that a nice read for a change.

Translation: "Why would we want competition? Watching DC constantly fail is hilarious. Sometimes they get something right and it's really cool to watch, but that's only ever Batman. Stick to Batman if you want to be successful, DC, it's the only thing you're good at....well, sometimes you're good at it."

faefrost:
Should they copy Marvel? Hell no. But they should at least pick up on what Marvel has done right. Marvel has recognized that each of their separate properties has its own tone and genre. Captain America is a modern action spy setting. Thor is a more traditional fantasy. Guardians of the Galaxy is pure Space Opera. They let their IP be itself, and still manage to bridge it together.

But DC started from the extreme point, the Dark Knight, and has seemingly tried to shoehorn that style and genre into them all. Love or hate Man of Steel it was a horrible Superman movie because it was trying to be The Dark Knight. DC tries to match up the universe first then bends the characters and story to fit. Marvel lets the characters and stories be their classic selves, then just glues them together at the edges.

The first thing DC needs to do is fire the guy who is so overly fond of the colors blue and orange.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I had no interest in Man of Steel because it felt like the Dark Knight Trilogy: Superman Edition and it's frustrating to think that they're going to try this again with other properties.

You know WHY people keep going to MCU films? Why they continue to enjoy each one and they're so successful? Because they're finding something for everyone. Everyone can either enjoy each movie on its own or enjoy the entire universe and multiple genres for a full course of experiences.

Variety is the spice of life and Marvel CLEARLY has a grasp on that with the MCU.

Kyogissun:

faefrost:

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I had no interest in Man of Steel because it felt like the Dark Knight Trilogy: Superman Edition and it's frustrating to think that they're going to try this again with other properties.

You know WHY people keep going to MCU films? Why they continue to enjoy each one and they're so successful? Because they're finding something for everyone. Everyone can either enjoy each movie on its own or enjoy the entire universe and multiple genres for a full course of experiences.

Variety is the spice of life and Marvel CLEARLY has a grasp on that with the MCU.

It's a little more complicated than that. Marvel has mastered the art of making the new movies both familiar and approachable, while at the same time feeling new and fresh. It's a good trick if you can master it. But it's something that Stan Lee and company mastered in the original comics back at the dawn of the Silver Age. The big mystery is why it took Hollywood 50 years to figure out the formula?

Ieyke:
Translation: "Why would we want competition? Watching DC constantly fail is hilarious. Sometimes they get something right and it's really cool to watch, but that's only ever Batman. Stick to Batman if you want to be successful, DC, it's the only thing you're good at....well, sometimes you're good at it."

Nah! I think Wheedon and honestly most of Marvel's movie division really want DC's stuff to be good. They want Justice League to be the best movie it can be. Why? Because unlike we fanboys out here who revel in the perceived petty rivalries and studio slap fights, most people who actually make these things fully realize that this is NOT a zero sum game. Every person who will spend the price of a ticket to go see Batman V Superman, who comes out liking it will also spend that same price to go see Captain America 3. 2013 was the best box office on record because the various movies fed into each other. You liked the first and wanted to see what came out next week. Whereas this summer has been a Hollywood disapointment because there is no synergy between movies. Nothing that keeps the patern going. Just Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and a long barren wasteland of drek between the two.

So yeah Wheedon really really does want DC to succeed. He benefits from it.

P.S. How much do you want to guess how badly DC's execs are castigating themselves (or more likely an underling) for not going forward with Wheedon's Wonder Woman movie a few years back?

faefrost:

Kyogissun:

faefrost:

It's a little more complicated than that. Marvel has mastered the art of making the new movies both familiar and approachable, while at the same time feeling new and fresh. It's a good trick if you can master it. But it's something that Stan Lee and company mastered in the original comics back at the dawn of the Silver Age. The big mystery is why it took Hollywood 50 years to figure out the formula?

I appreciate the expansion upon my suggestion concerning the MCU's success and definitely admit you've phrased it better.

But wouldn't it better to ALSO ask not only why it took Hollywood 50 years to figure it out... But why some companies 'still' can't figure it out.

Shiftygiant:
Whedon shouldn't worry. DC are as committed to the DCMU as Italy was to the Second World War. Yeah, you did well with a couple previous outings, but you're doing too much too fast, bitten off more than you can chew. Bat's V Sups has to introduce what, 4 new heroes and (Maybe) 2 Villains.

Granted, Batman is Batman, but still, you have to introduce him in this new world you have to build. Then Wonder Woman, who's origin is baffling and weird, given how often they change, Lex Luthor is fairly straight forward, money and power corrupts, but then Aquaman and Cyborg, who have been oddly absent from promotional, which hints to some shame that they're involved. That's another issue, shame. If no one making these seems proud to have Aquaman, god of the ocean, or Cyborg, badass super smart cyborg (Robocop but with emotions), in their production, that speaks volumes for the rest of the universe.

How do you introduce the fantastical elements of the JLA like Zatanna or the Martian Manhunter? Will they be ignored in fear of being laughed out the cinema or will they make them Grimdark and 'Realistic'?

And, on my own personal note, why the hell should I care for a movie franchise that so far has shown me that all it want's is Grimdark serious? And has shown me that it shall keep that? It's not like Flash or Arrow are being part of it, a misstep if any.

At least Marvel took there time before the Money shot that was Avengers. DC seem to just want to shoot their load of the JLA as soon as possible so it doesn't get embarrassed by it.

You hit the nail on the head. DC seems ashamed of the DC universe. Aquaman is a joke, but it's often pointed out that writers don't really know what to do with him. Most of his useful powers are covered by Superman and his only unique powers seem fairly useless. I say seem fairly useless, because Young Justice and Teen Titans both showed how bad ass AquaLAD could be and he should be weaker than Aquaman.

Meanwhile, Marvel just released a movie featuring a tree man that can only say "I am Groot" and a talking raccoon with a chip on his shoulder. And I'll be damned if they didn't steal the show and if Marvel isn't proud of them. Hell, they gave a private showing to Rocket Raccoon's severely ill co-creator. Is it any wonder that it's already earned over $220 million worldwide?

Anyway, that dread of their own universe is kinda sad. I loved Cyborg in Teen Titans. Zatanna is always a joy. And Martian Manhunter was a great addition to the Justice League series.

You know what movie DC should announce other than Wonder Woman? Static Shock!

I don't think I can look forward to a Justice League movie when I think about it. Marvel did Avengers the best way possible, and now anything DC does is either going to be disappointing or a rip-off. Even aside from that, I'd prefer it if DC stuck to using only one or two heroes per movie/series. They get a tighter focus that way, and it allows for more exploration of the hero than forcing them all to share screen time. Hopefully with less grimdarkness though. The Batman aesthetic wore thin rather quickly for me.

It's not that WB has to copy what Marvel is doing, it's that WB has to understand their characters better. Marvel does Superman better than WB has with Man of Steel. Look at Captain America, his personality traits are what Superman should've been!

I feel as though the difference between Marvel & DC isn't really Avengers & Justice League. But instead Tony Stark & Batman.

The Emphasis with Tony Stark is wit & the need to be funny. By some extension you also see that with Captain America, Thor, & the last Hulk movies before they teamed up in Avengers.

The Emphasis with Batman is gritty & the reminder of a dark past. This is how the new Superman movie in part became gritty with the need for a dark past. (Even though the previous Batman trilogy isn't part of the new continuity.)

In that sense both universes started off with the same idea. But went in different directions.

Marvel likes to party, but DC likes to buzzkill.

Ultratwinkie:
They should get off their ass, grow some balls, and actually show what they came up with for the last 20 years. Don't bother with hollywood writers and their fanfiction, just translate the comics to movies like their successful animated division.

Whats the point of hiring writers if you ain't gonna use them and hire someone else?

Suicide squad would make a great movie. And DC's dark tone would work great here. They could beat other action movies like the expendables.

Do those expendable geezers fight a huge OMAC and have a guy who chopped a ICBM in half mid launch with a katana while also fighting super russians? No? Instant win.

They can even get Catwoman into the mix with her own movie. Its automatically better than Wonder Woman and would get praised like Frozen if its not pandering shit. Since her adventures tend to involve strategy, explosions, and crazy gadgets it appelas to women and men.

Or you can do Batman Incorporated. Which has a super powered BAT COW and a Japanese Batman with a school girl sidekick. Also a British knight fighting British dinosaurs in bowler hats with laser guns. Who wouldn't want to see that?

DC has plenty of opportunity and tons of resources to draw on spanning decades. They have areas where Marvel doesn't or can't go; But if its too scared to do anything with it then they will still fail.

There is one major flaw in everything you just said; DC DOESN'T have decades worth of stories to draw from. That is just what people who don't actually keep up with their comics believe. You see DC is obsessed, and I mean honest to God obsessed, with reboots. So much so that they literally reboot their entire comic continuity every handful of years. And while those stories technically still exist and could be translated, DC as a whole avoids everything that happened before [insert major continuity reboot here] like the plague. Yeah they occasionally reuse old ideas, but its reboot or bust for DC. That's why The Joker is now gay and voluntarily had his face chopped off, why Harley Quinn basically has nothing whatsoever to do with him, why Starfire is a slut no matter how you look at it, why Cyborg's origin is now tied into Darksied,why Superman is now in his twenties and has weaker powers,and why Tim Drake was never actually Robin.

Jonathan Hornsby:

Ultratwinkie:

There is one major flaw in everything you just said; DC DOESN'T have decades worth of stories to draw from. That is just what people who don't actually keep up with their comics believe. You see DC is obsessed, and I mean honest to God obsessed, with reboots. So much so that they literally reboot their entire comic continuity every handful of years. And while those stories technically still exist and could be translated, DC as a whole avoids everything that happened before [insert major continuity reboot here] like the plague. Yeah they occasionally reuse old ideas, but its reboot or bust for DC. That's why The Joker is now gay and voluntarily had his face chopped off, why Harley Quinn basically has nothing whatsoever to do with him, why Starfire is a slut no matter how you look at it, why Cyborg's origin is now tied into Darksied,why Superman is now in his twenties and has weaker powers,and why Tim Drake was never actually Robin.

They brought back the Dark knight returns. It did well. In fact, the new movie is based off that comic. They have decades worth of stories hanging around, and some of them are bound to be really good.

if they don't want to use old stories, they still have the new 52. There are still some good stories in there.

They still have tons of resources to draw on, but they rely on bog standard Hollywood fanfiction.

Saltyk:
You know what movie DC should announce other than Wonder Woman? Static Shock!

I think the day DC announces a Static Shock movie would be the day I would be asking people to pinch me to make sure I'm not just dreaming... again...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here