Mass Effect's Casey Hudson Will Leave BioWare

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mass Effect's Casey Hudson Will Leave BioWare

Hudson's sorry to go, but knows that he's leaving his projects in good hands.

"This is without a doubt the most difficult decision of my career," says executive producer Casey Hudson, as he announces his departure. "BioWare is as magical a place today as it was when I started." Magical or not, he feels it's time to go, and while there's much talk of 'a new set of challenges' there's no word on what Hudson might be up to next.

Hudson started as a technical artist on Neverwinter Nights, before moving on to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Soon after his triumph there, he led the team that made the Mass Effect trilogy. He's one of BioWare's old guard, having joined not long after the company was created in 1995, and sticking with it through the acquisition by Electronic Arts in 2007. Not that long ago the two co-founders left the company, after 17 years with BioWare; Hudson's departure must be a bitter pill for the developer to swallow.

The last time we heard anything from Hudson, he was Tweeting about a mysterious new IP which the core team behind KOTOR was supposed to be working on. He doesn't say much about that IP in his departure message, except that "the foundation of our new IP in Edmonton is complete" and the team's about to move into pre-production.

Hudson's last message is to the fans. "Having led the development of four major titles, I'm profoundly appreciative of the role I've been able to play in creating these games," he says. "The very idea that so many of you have enjoyed spending time in the worlds we've created is the defining achievement of my career, and it's your support over the years that made it all possible.

"Thank you."

Source: BioWare

17 years? He doesn't look that old with how long he has been with Bioware. He could pry make his own studio if he wanted.

I'm conflicted. On one hand he is responsible for a lot of good stuff that came out of Bioware and he is clearly talented. On the other hand, fuck this guy, he's a lying son of a bitch. Nothing he said about Mass Effect 3 was true. It was, in fact, the exact opposite of what he said.

Was this the guy who decided to write the ending to mass effect 3 by himself

Coruptin:

Eeeeeeyup.

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless of his old successes on such things as KOTOR and NWN, his work on trying to destroy Mass Effect 3 has given him a permanent spot on the shit-list in my brain.

Gone, but not forgiven.

Oh, it's that guy who managed to do that thing I previously considered impossible, namely singlehandedly making a whole series of games into shit retroactively. That was hella impressive. Hope he finds work he is actually suited for, like working grill in Burger King.

The odds of ME4 being a sequel just went up a notch ... now only Mac Walters has any real investment in keeping ME4 a pre/side/inter-quel.

Coruptin:

Dead Raen:

Coruptin:

Eeeeeeyup.

Was this ever actually confirmed or proven in any way, shape or form?

Not trying to defend the ending or anything, I didn't much care for it either, but I've never seen any kind of proof for the whole Hudson-and-Walters-solo'd-the-ending-and-fucked-it-up story. It started with an anonymous post on a Penny Arcade forum and people have been spreading it around as gospel ever since.

Is it too soon to break out the party poppers? I'm still refusing to play Mass Effect 3 and going to wait a good couple of months after the release of Dragon Age 3 to see if it's a game I'd like.

It was not an anonymous post, it was a post made with the account of a known Bioware employee.

Even if it was untrue, Casey was still the director and Walters still the head writer. So they bear most the responsibility for ME3's RGB scorched earth and illusion of player agency destroying ending regardless.

I don't really care about this. I will remember the overhyping of a game and the disastrous PR speech before and after launch. (in all honesty, it made me laugh for DaI when they spoke about "award winning story" when they show only combat^^).

I just find really strange to leave a studio when a new IP is ready to go on production... Worse it's his creation.
Speculation for everyone: EA let him finish his work before showing him the exit ?

Edit: it wasn't an anonymous post, it was made by Weekes on GAF and Bioware did several post on their forums and blog trying to evade this stunt.

@Pinky's Brain: i would prefer a sequel because inter/pre/whatever quel is forever doomed to meet a RGB rainbow ^^

Poor guy is going to have one hell of an internet legacy to enjoy.

Adam Jensen:
I'm conflicted. On one hand he is responsible for a lot of good stuff that came out of Bioware and he is clearly talented. On the other hand, fuck this guy, he's a lying son of a bitch. Nothing he said about Mass Effect 3 was true. It was, in fact, the exact opposite of what he said.

Agreed. But, ultimately, I would suggest handling this like I handle George Lucas. He is the guy that created Star Wars, and for THAT, I will be forever thankful to the man. But I was glad to see Disney take it over, because someone needed to get that mans hands away from the franchise, so he would quit screwing up what was a good thing.

I will be forever thankful to him for Mass Effect, KOTOR, etc. as I adore those games. But yeah, he dropped the ball with the ending of ME 3. Now we will have to wait and see if this helps or hurts the next Mass Effect game.

Rodolphe Kourkenko:
I don't really care about this. I will remember the overhyping of a game and the disastrous PR speech before and after launch. (in all honesty, it made me laugh for DaI when they spoke about "award winning story" when they show only combat^^).

I just find really strange to leave a studio when a new IP is ready to go on production... Worse it's his creation.
Speculation for everyone: EA let him finish his work before showing him the exit ?

Well, the same thing happened to Mega Man Legends 3. Keiji Inafune finally got the project up and running, left the studio, and Capcom pulled the plug shortly thereafter.

I think EA's too committed to Mass Effect at this point, but we'll see.

Coruptin:

Pretty sure that was Mac Walters who is still there.

Optimystic:

Coruptin:

No he left before the end.

Mac Walters wrote the gurren lagann ending that got scrapped.

Edit : I'm wrong and confused Walters with Drew Karpyshyn. >_>

And nothing of value was lost.

Let's see how long Walters, his partner-in-art-crime, lasts without him.

Zhukov:

Not trying to defend the ending or anything, I didn't much care for it either, but I've never seen any kind of proof for the whole Hudson-and-Walters-solo'd-the-ending-and-fucked-it-up story. It started with an anonymous post on a Penny Arcade forum and people have been spreading it around as gospel ever since.

It was an account belonging to someone who had a history of sharing inside knowledge about the development process and claimed to be Patrick Weekes. Occam's razor would say that he likely told the truth.

Zhukov:

Coruptin:

Dead Raen:

Coruptin:

Eeeeeeyup.

As Pinky's Brain stated, they were the director and head writer respectively. Even if they had absolutely no input with the ending (which is doubtful), they were still in positions where they should have had the final say.

BlueJoneleth:

Optimystic:

Coruptin:

Hack Walters is still with Bioware, as evidenced by his presence in the "ME4 HYPEHYPEHYPE" vid from E3. According to the intenet he and Hudson shut themselves in a room after the leak and wrote the ending we got pre Extended Cut.

You may be thinking of Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer on KoToR, Jade Empire and ME1/ME2, who left before ME3 to write The Old Republic and then bailed alltogether after penning a dreadful resolution to Revan's saga.

Unlike some here, I don't hate the guy for ME3. That game was very obviously rushed (the lack of sidequests and how ridiculously straightforward the final levels were) and there's no way the series could ever have ended well. No-one writing the first two Mass Effect games ever planned ahead, which is why the Collectors, the Illusive Man, Crucible etc all pop out of fucking nowhere at the beginning of their respective games. No-one ever came up with a motivation for the Reapers or a way to stop them, so they were working with what they had for most of it. The ending was clearly written in a blind panic too, likely to get it out the door on time.

If you're going to panic any way, why not give the players what they want? A true victory over the antagonist. Kotor 2 was a cluster**** but at least we won and the antagonist lost.

A bad ending is the artistic way out ... I don't want art, I stopped reading high literature after high school because of that shit.

I wonder which colour of paper he chose to print his resignation on, it's an important decision after all.

In some ways most of the old staff leaving might be a good thing (it also might not be ofc), Bioware games have become formulaic and every one of them is the same just with a different skin and sometimes different execution gameplay mechanics (shooting rather than sword fighting etc).

If they can keep the theme of having character stories that develop and change and those little character moments that help to make Bioware games good but inject some new blood into the staff and bring new ideas maybe they can recapture some of that greatness, we will see with Dragon Age: Inquisition I guess.

As for ME3, seriously I mean all these years later people are still butt hurt over the last 15mins of the game... ME3 was great overall because the explosion at the end wasn't the ending, the whole of Mass Effect 3 was the ending.

It resolved many of the character arcs, the Krogan, the Quarians and the Geth, the Council and Udina. Everything, so the last 15 mins was disappointing yeah I get that. The eternal and immortal Reapers turned out to be just another rogue AI made by an over arrogant species (talking about the "fixed" extended cut ending that answered the questions about the exploding relays, WTH the Normandy was doing and everything else along with the revelations from the Leviathan DLC here), sure it was a disappointment and Shepard didn't get to live happily ever after even though the recurrent theme of the series was sacrifice and loss but it didn't go back and ruin all the hours of fun you had with the other games.

Rodolphe Kourkenko:

Maybe Dragon Age: Inquisition is going to be another disaster and he cannot face going through all that again lol.

BlueJoneleth:

Edit : I'm wrong and confused Walters with Drew Karpyshyn. >_>

What's the gurren lagann ending? o.O
Does Shepard destroy the reapers with the giant drill of his normandy-crucible mecha?

hazydawn:
Does Shepard destroy the reapers with the giant drill of his normandy-crucible mecha?

The Gurren-Lagann ending is that the Reapers were killing everyone to stop them from using Element Zero, because doing so accelerated entropy and the heat-death of the universe somehow. So Shepard and his buddies banded together into a team, a brigade if you will, and proceeded to tell the Anti-Sp- Reapers to fuck right off and let them handle it.

This news alone has got me interested in (maybe) buying Mass Effect 4. Funny that.

Agayek:

hazydawn:

The Gurren-Lagann ending is that the Reapers were killing everyone to stop them from using Element Zero, because doing so accelerated entropy and the heat-death of the universe somehow. So Shepard and his buddies banded together into a team, a brigade if you will, and proceeded to tell the Anti-Sp- Reapers to fuck right off and let them handle it.

Ah yeah, I remember hearing about this ending ^^
The overall plot is really pretty similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmVVAjZZeM&list=UUTQnO5AuzTXKjxKMFD9DwZA
Made me got over my initial grief and helped me to built my own canon ending >.<
Some day I'll have to replay all parts with the happy ending mod installed... not that it's only about a happy ending. What I hated most was the starchild and everything it stood for... and the three ridiculous choices.

Hawkeye21:
Oh, it's that guy who managed to do that thing I previously considered impossible, namely singlehandedly making a whole series of games into shit retroactively. That was hella impressive. Hope he finds work he is actually suited for, like working grill in Burger King.

Maybe he will end up on Masterchef like the dev from Darksiders

Upon leaving, Hudson thought on which farewell speech he should use: blue, green or red

Zombie Badger:
Unlike some here, I don't hate the guy for ME3. That game was very obviously rushed (the lack of sidequests and how ridiculously straightforward the final levels were) and there's no way the series could ever have ended well. No-one writing the first two Mass Effect games ever planned ahead, which is why the Collectors, the Illusive Man, Crucible etc all pop out of fucking nowhere at the beginning of their respective games. No-one ever came up with a motivation for the Reapers or a way to stop them, so they were working with what they had for most of it. The ending was clearly written in a blind panic too, likely to get it out the door on time.

The whole game was more rushed than late WW2 German aircraft design. Personally I would have preferred the Reapers had no motivation other than EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE. It would have kept them mysterious and scary, and would have kept them somewhat compelling. They were shooting for "mechanical cosmic horror", and they had that at first with Sovereign, but over time they mutated into "Daleks crossed with the Borg."

Plus, with the benefit of hindsight, ME2 was completely pointless; Nothing you did in ME2 amounted to shit. Mass Effect as a series should forever be held up as an example of how not to write a trilogy with an interconnected storyline.

Machine Man 1992:
Plus, with the benefit of hindsight, ME2 was completely pointless; Nothing you did in ME2 amounted to shit. Mass Effect as a series should forever be held up as an example of how not to write a trilogy with an interconnected storyline.

The funny thing is, ME1 is a self-contained story that precludes the possibility of a sequel. The entire reason for Sovereign's attack on the Citadel is that he has no other way of contacting the other Reapers, so they wrote themselves into a corner that they could only get out of by introducing other Reaper agents like the Collectors, whose phone Sovereign could have just asked to use.

I will never forgive/forget this guy for ruining ME3's ending with Mac Walters without consulting the other writers.

God speed..maybe the next Mass Effect supposed trilogy (speculating) won't go through the same shit the the old one did.

Good. Excellent news. Hopefully he'll find a new job for which he's better suited. Far, far away from video games. Or books. Or films. Or television.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here