Batman v Superman Director Zack Snyder Defends Aquaman

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Batman v Superman Director Zack Snyder Defends Aquaman

Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder called a radio station up and defended Aquaman from the bashing that was taking place.

While it's still not 100 percent confirmed if Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones) will appear as Aquaman -- or if the character will appear at all -- in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, director Zack Snyder is apparently one of the superhero's few supporters. On CBS Detroit, the DJs were talking smack on-air regarding the DC's King of Atlantis, when Snyder, tired of all the bashing, called to set the record straight on Aquaman.

You guys were disparaging, a little bit, Aquaman......I don't want to give anything away about the movie or anything like that, but Aquaman has some cool abilities. People are like, 'Oh what? Does he talk to animals? Because that seems like what he does. Or fish?' The cool thing with Aquaman is he has his trident. You have to realize that could cut the flesh of Superman if they came in contact. That's a thing that's in the canon. He's super strong because, of course, he can exist at these super deep depths. So when he comes up here, he's crazy strong. Anyway, not to say he's in my movie or anything like that, but he has the potential to be bad ass, that's all I'm saying.

You can listen to the entire chat right here.

As seen in the statement above by Snyder, Aquaman's involvement in Batman v Superman hasn't been confirmed, but his comments seem to indicate that the Atlantean will indeed make an appearance -- at least to me, anyway. For more on Batman v Superman, check out set footage on the film to see our first look at Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne, or read up on how the actor's Batman will be different from the past Dark Knights.

Do you agree with Snyder's assessment of Aquaman or is there a reason why the character is one of the most ridiculed superheros ever?

Source: /Film via SuperHeroHype

First thing I've heard from Snyder in a while that hasn't vaguely irritated me. Good for him. Aquaman gets waaay too much flack, just because the old JLA cartoon writers had no creativity.

I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol

I have a unique problem with the Aquaman hate. I know he is a bad ass. I have known that for years but I simply don't like the character very much. The problem is that whenever I say that to someone who happens to like Aquaman I am told I don't like him siply because it is cool to hate Aquaman or that because I think he is a joke or that he is useless.

I just wish everyone would acknowledge that Aquaman is a badass so that I can hate him in peace.

80sboy:
I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol

The Big Bang Theory does it as well. Anyone who has ever read a Justice League comic knows better. It's good to know Zack Snyder knows how awesome he is. Just as I was starting to feel down about BvS, this gives me a little hope.

Zack Snyder... honestly, you want to defend Aquaman? No... let Aquaman defend himself.

I said in a previous article that no one seems to be passionate about Aquaman and Cyborg, because of how fantastical they are. It's nice to see some enthusiasm from Snyder, gives me hope that Aquaman will at least be a good thing in the movie.

"The cool thing with Aquaman is he has his trident."

Oh shit guys, watch out! A trident! Who can save us from this weapon from weapon of mass destruction? Apart from, you know, the guy who tanks actually tanks and shoots lasers from his eyes.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Aquaman. Its not like they can manage to make him more brooding than batman and more boring than superman....so anything would be a step up I guess :P

chocolate pickles:

Oh shit guys, watch out! A trident! Who can save us from this weapon from weapon of mass destruction? Apart from, you know, the guy who tanks actually tanks and shoots lasers from his eyes.

Aquaman can and does go toe to toe with the man of steel; he's also king of a nation who's naval power is to the world at large, comparable to the British Empire at the height of their capability. Their technology is also highly advanced and they still command sorcery, a well known weakness of Superman.

He's a badass, end story.

chocolate pickles:

Congratulations on cherry-picking a single sentence that was clearly not rehearsed ahead of time (it was him just talking), and not only omitting the follow-up sentences that give support to the sentence, but apparently not even reading them based on your "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter.

I don't living in the deep would give you super-strength. I think it would more give you stronger resistances to crushing pressures. In reality, most creatures that live in the deep are super squishy because that makes it harder for the pressure to crush you.

Aquaman has potential as a character, you just have to stop thinking of him the way most people think of comic book superheros IE "What kind of superpower does this guy have?" The potential for Aquaman stories goes beyond "I'm just a guy with superpowers." He's the king of an entire underwater nation, if I remember correctly. That alone is a great set-up for different kinds of stories. You just gotta think about the scenario and the setting more than the superpower.

But I still don't like Zack Snyder.

Aquaman is probably my favorite new 52 reboot. And how they take on the jokes head on and still make a good story.

I've liked the guy since my (now ex) GF lent me the first of the new 52 comics about him.

He's actually pretty cool, especially when he reacts really mellow whenever everyone treats him like a joke.

...Still, gotta be said that the Flash is the only non-batman DC superhero I give a fraction of a damn about.

RJ Dalton:
I don't living in the deep would give you super-strength. I think it would more give you stronger resistances to crushing pressures. In reality, most creatures that live in the deep are super squishy because that makes it harder for the pressure to crush you.

Aquaman has potential as a character, you just have to stop thinking of him the way most people think of comic book superheros IE "What kind of superpower does this guy have?" The potential for Aquaman stories goes beyond "I'm just a guy with superpowers." He's the king of an entire underwater nation, if I remember correctly. That alone is a great set-up for different kinds of stories. You just gotta think about the scenario and the setting more than the superpower.

But I still don't like Zack Snyder.

Some deep sea creatures explode when they come to the surface, that would make for a spectacularly short comic though. His strength is implied from the fact that he can not only withstand those pressures, but move freely in them.

His solo stories do tend to focus on Atlantis and his life under sea. It tends to be in the Justice League books that he's a more typical superhero.

Give me a reason to give a shit about Aquaman and I will be interested in him. You ain't that guy Snyder. He messed up Superman and made Zod a more compelling character. That is a impressive fuck up. This film is going to be terrible. He has at 5 new characters to introduce and he will fuck it up terribly because he is not that good a director. Joss Whedon barely nailed it and he had their solo films and his experience as an ensemble director. This film will be a mess.

Grant Morrison made this argument a million times better anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl3ZZaXLEx0

80sboy:

The silly cartoon that's responsible for the Aquaman bashing is in fact not Family guy, but the 'Super friends' cartoon from '73 because the running gag was that Aquaman's powers was that he owned a jetski.

It ruined Aquaman's reputation forever in the eyes of the mainstream public.

I love Aquaman. He's my favorite superhero. I've loved things like Atlantis, mermaids, sea monsters, aquatic life in general, so a superhero based on those things? Hell yeah!

So even though I know this movie is going to suck butts, I just want to see Aquaman in a movie. Even if it's a stinker, I just want to see him kick ass. I even was a little sad that that smallville-ish show pilot never made it to a full series.

Aquaman could beat up the vast majority of heroes and villains in the DC Universe. Quod erat motherloving demonstrandum.

I like giving Aquaman hate because there needs to be a superhero that just gets shit for the hell of it. I know he's a badass, it's still fun to make fun of him, what's so wrong with that? He's not real, he rules an entire underwater nation, and he could kick my ass were he real, why should he care if I poke fun at him?

The Brave and Bold cartoon made me appreciate aquaman as a character.

80sboy:

People were saying it well before Family Guy.

...Like most Family Guy jokes, really.

Aaaaaaanyway, I don't hate Aquaman or think he's useless, but the character never grabbed me.

And then there was that one time they gave Aquaman the grimdark 90's makeover where he had long hair and a hook for a hand.

And then there was that one time they replaced the hook hand with a hand made of water that gives him a Grim Reaper-esque touch of death.

Let's face it, they wrote Aquaman into a corner long ago, and has since lodged him firmly in the "trying too hard" category of superhero facelifts.

Super strength is not an impressive superpower. Every goddamn superhero has super stregth. The ones that don't usually have something else to make up for it (speed, magic, technology, etc). This would be like saying "Aquaman's power is that he can stay ageless for 60+ years, and he can cheat death whenever he wants!"

The worst part is that he's affiliated with a team where one of the members is almost literally God. He might as well just be the Justice League's secretary.

aegix drakan:
...Still, gotta be said that the Flash is the only non-batman DC superhero I give a fraction of a damn about.

Is the New 52 Flash a good place to start with him?

Make a good movie following him. Then, I'll care. Until then, he's a character with potential that no one knows how to write.

80sboy:

Family Guy wasn't the only thing to make fun of Aquaman. Hell, Cartoon Network and the Powerpuff Girls made fun of him.

I may not like Zacks movies that much but its nice to see him actually standing up for aqua man, and I agree he gets way to much flak, hes a really decent superhero IMO

*A chorus of children sing out...* Zack loves Aquaman!

OT; Ok, so we got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash in this movie now. Are they sure they don't want to rename it as the Justice League movie and be done with it?

Zachary Amaranth:

80sboy:

People were saying it well before Family Guy.

Thank you, sir, for saying this so I didn't have to.

I don't care too strongly about this myself. I did sort of like his cameo in Kingdom Come and at best could see a sort of Grant Morrison Animal Man thing with the character.

I could do with seeing more Seaman. By all means, let's have Seaman all over the new movie. I sure audiences will love Zack Snyder's Seaman.

Now I ask you - is there enough branding in the world to avoid seeing the above juvenilia a million times over should the character wind up in a movie, however cool his powers are or whatever clever plot gimmick they give him?

Elijah Newton:

I don't care too strongly about this myself. I did sort of like his cameo in Kingdom Come and at best could see a sort of Grant Morrison Animal Man thing with the character.

The best thing is, I'm sure there are people out there who cold make an interesting Aquaman movie, or movie with aquaman in it. I mean, Justice League (the cartoon) made me interested in a lot of characters I normally didn't pay attention to. I just don't think Snyder and Goyer are the folks to do it. Now, if they really get Ronan...I mean, Jason Momoa, I'll be more inclined to give it a shot, but it's still David Goyer and Zack Snyder.

008Zulu:
*A chorus of children sing out...* Zack loves Aquaman!

OT; Ok, so we got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash in this movie now. Are they sure they don't want to rename it as the Justice League movie and be done with it?

They pretty much did: Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. It may as well be called "The Dawn of the Justice League".

But since they are (rightfully) worried that nobody remembers the Justice League, they need to put their two major characters in the name for the star power.

Scrythe:
And then there was that one time they gave Aquaman the grimdark 90's makeover where he had long hair and a hook for a hand.

And then there was that one time they replaced the hook hand with a hand made of water that gives him a Grim Reaper-esque touch of death.

Let's face it, they wrote Aquaman into a corner long ago, and has since lodged him firmly in the "trying too hard" category of superhero facelifts.

Super strength is not an impressive superpower. Every goddamn superhero has super stregth. The ones that don't usually have something else to make up for it (speed, magic, technology, etc). This would be like saying "Aquaman's power is that he can stay ageless for 60+ years, and he can cheat death whenever he wants!"

The worst part is that he's affiliated with a team where one of the members is almost literally God. He might as well just be the Justice League's secretary.

Super Strength isn't his only power, heightened speed, mid level invulnerability, telepathy, The mortal champion of the god Posideon, King of one of the most technologically and magically advanced nations on the planet. Access and use of some of the most powerful weapons on the planet. One of the best hand to hand combatants in DC Ect Ect Ect.

So my favorite article on Aquaman is definitely the one by Chris Sims.

In my own opinion Aquaman's problem is that at this point he exists to do one of two things: Either to be the terrible punchline or to exist solely as a 'no really guys he's awesome I swear' version of the character.

A really badass character doesn't need everybody to constantly stand up and defend him: He (or she) will just be badass without needing everybody to gesture constantly at the audience and go "Yeah? Wasn't that cool? It was, wasn't it?"

aegix drakan:
I've liked the guy since my (now ex) GF lent me the first of the new 52 comics about him.

He's actually pretty cool, especially when he reacts really mellow whenever everyone treats him like a joke.

After watching the JLA show last year, as well as Young Justice and a number of the animated movies, Flash is one of the few I actually liked when it came to the original members. I'm convinced that they would be better not using Superman, Wonder Woman, and possibly Batman for their movies, because I really don't care for them as much as the others and they there seems to be much more potential for the others. I feel like doing movies based on the younger hero's would be better, because Young Justice was so good. You had younger, more inexperienced hero's that lived in the shadows of their mentors, and had to constantly prove themselves. It was also good because they would team up to cover for each others weaknesses, and had to be more careful and plan much more.

Flash Point Paradox was my favorite DC animated movie, of the ones I've seen so far. That one really showed what Aquaman can be capable of, especially as a villain. It also focused on the Flash who is one of the best hero's of DC.

I always thought it was kinda funny that Aquaman was made fun of, since in many ways he was almost as powerful as superman, and more powerful then most of the rest of the JLA. He, like superman, can withstand bullets, he has super strength (not sure how it compares to supermans, but it's enough to get the job done most of the time). He has super speed while in the water at least (in theory he should be faster on land as well, but he never seemed to have that ability). He has telepathic abilities, at some points even able to be used on humans. While he can't fly, he can....do the equivalent in water, and he has the ability to use marine life...and his army to great effect. He has more technology at his disposal then batman (even if you rarely see him use it), and he has enhanced senses as well (sonar like a dolphin/bat, excellent/super eyesight etc).

The submariner (namor) is, in theory, less powerful then aquaman, yet was always given more respect and considered more powerful by readers (or at least seemed that way to me).

WhiteTigerShiro:

chocolate pickles:

Congratulations on cherry-picking a single sentence that was clearly not rehearsed ahead of time (it was him just talking), and not only omitting the follow-up sentences that give support to the sentence, but apparently not even reading them based on your "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter.

Gordon_4:

Aquaman can and does go toe to toe with the man of steel; he's also king of a nation who's naval power is to the world at large, comparable to the British Empire at the height of their capability. Their technology is also highly advanced and they still command sorcery, a well known weakness of Superman.

He's a badass, end story.

Gonna lay my cards on the table: That was less a jab at Aquaman (who i don't really have anything against btw), and more a jab at Snyder - If he's going to try and defend a character (hell, it could have been superman in this context), then he SHOULD at least rehearse it and not come at with daft lines like that. yes, i know there was followup explanation, but to be honest, this whole statement seems poorly planned and written in general, and honestly does not do a good job of trying to defend the character.

As for my supposed "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter (never actually said that, but whatever) - I'm not a comics expert, and will never claim to be an expert on the subject. However, what knowledge i do have is of Superman's portrayal in the film, and how he clearly had some high level feats and powers. Until we actually see Aquaman in the movie (if he IS in the movie), then we will never be able to say who wins a fight between the two. Sure, you can theorize all you want from the info in the comics, but look at how badly Nolan batman ended up differentiating from his comic counterparts - Aquaman could be seriously de-powered or buffed in the movie. However, i do feel it is safe to speculate that considering Superman's portrayal, he will be able to give aquaman a worthy fight at the least.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here