What a Free-to-Play Pokemon Game Might Look Like

What a Free-to-Play Pokemon Game Might Look Like

Pokemon Gym 1 Attempt

Fans create mock-ups of how a free-to-play Pokemon would function.

Ever wonder what a free-to-play Pokemon game might look like? Well wonder no longer because a reddit user has provided a Photoshopped glimpse into how that type of game might function with today's FTP craze.

The examples have similar traits to many of the popular free-to-play games available right now. Instead of going to the nearest Poke Center for a quick check-in, you'll be forced to wait almost an hour--that is, unless you have enough currency to skip the wait. Gyms that are usually always open once you're powerful enough will be closed at certain hours for the poor Pokemon trainers.

And it seems like Professor Oak is a big advocate for social media.

Source: Destructoid

Slow news day, huh.

Why do they do this? Don't they know people in high places see this and think "Hey, thats a great idea! Johnson, get on this now!"
"Sir, there is no Johnson working here... We're based in Japan and have no American workers present named Johnson."
"I don't care get him on it now!!"

I was a little bit sick in my mouth.

Sheen Lantern:
Slow news day, huh.

That's what I thought too tbh.

I have seen this elsewhere on the internet, and I think this is a very cynical view on free to play games. Some F2P games work well - Doctor Who legacy is the prime example of this as you can play it entirely for free. The currency used is called 'time crystals', which drop rarely while playing and the devs often offer codes to give away some.

A good illustration of F2P done wrong, which is sadly too often the case.

A better description would be:

"Pokemon as a free-to-play title designed by EA"

Honestly, if you'd want Pokemon on your phone, you could just emulate it if you already bought the original game.

So I'm guessing no one here has heard of Micromon...
http://toucharcade.com/2014/08/06/micromon-review/

Sheen Lantern:
Slow news day, huh.

The joys of the winter games drought.

You'd think AAA publishers would realize there is an untapped market for something to come out now, but nooooo they need to chase the christmas sales.

I saw this weeks ago, granted it's still funny.

...and would we also be playing on our original Game Boy systems?

Sigmund Av Volsung:
A better description would be:

"Pokemon as a free-to-play title designed by EA"

Honestly, if you'd want Pokemon on your phone, you could just emulate it if you already bought the original game.

99.99% of F2P games play exactly like this. EA was incredibly late to the party.

Sheen Lantern:
Slow news day, huh.

Considering these showed up on bloody memebase two weeks ago (which means they've probably been floating around for months), slow news in multiple senses.

JarinArenos:

Sheen Lantern:
Slow news day, huh.

Considering these showed up on bloody memebase two weeks ago (which means they've probably been floating around for months), slow news in multiple senses.

Give The Escapist a break, messenger pigeons aren't as fast as the internet!

In other news, I just heard about this new Pokémon called Mew...

Never before have I been angered and sickened so. Also I want to hug an Oshawatt.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Sheen Lantern:
Slow news day, huh.

The joys of the winter games drought.

You'd think AAA publishers would realize there is an untapped market for something to come out now, but nooooo they need to chase the christmas sales.

Christmas sales? We don't have any games to release for Christmas. They've all been delayed to 2015.

This is a great example of free to play done wrong.

now THIS is horror.

Scuse me while I torch my Gameboy in shame.

Oh god, no ... it's true. To many of our F2P games are like this. Showing it in Pokemon is the best example ever.

Remind me of Greenlight and Early Access on Steam.

I don't wonder what Free to Play Pokemon would be like because I already played Free-to-Play Pokemon.

>.>

<.<

Hey! Whoa! WHOA! Put down those ban hammers! I don't mean piracy! I'm talking about the Facebook game. I forget what it was called, and I haven't played it in so long that it dropped off of the "Your Games" list, but it was some "Totally-not-Pokemon" game made by Insomniac. Funny thing, the pictures above aren't an entirely inaccurate depiction of how it worked, though they forgot to include an image where the player can't get into any more battles because he's out of "Energy".

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Why do they do this? Don't they know people in high places see this and think "Hey, thats a great idea! Johnson, get on this now!"
"Sir, there is no Johnson working here... We're based in Japan and have no American workers present named Johnson."
"I don't care get him on it now!!"

you're too late, there's a ton of pokemon copy facebook games out and it's pretty much exactly like this

We're safe so long as the franchise is still Nintendo exclusive. They have not resorted to such scummy tactics, yet.

If a game is this draconian over its monetisation, someone, somewhere, must feel bad about it. It'd just feel like selling my game's soul to the corporate devil.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here