Coming Soon To WoW's World's End Tavern: Robin Williams - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Coming Soon To WoW's World's End Tavern: Robin Williams - Update

"Because of his presence within our community," asks the petition, "We the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian."

Update: Three potential Robin Williams NPCs have been spotted. The character appears courtesy of Warlords of Draenor and he hasn't yet shown up, but there are three potential versions: a Djinn (Aladdin), a human female (Mrs Doubtfire) and a human male (Mork?).

Don't get too excited by those sound files; they're just the standard emotes, and presumably will be replaced by something else. There's no telling where these NPCs will appear, or even if all three will, but it's great that Blizzard is moving so quickly to commemorate Williams.

Source: WoW Insider

Original Story: In less than 24 hours, a petition to create a Robin Williams tribute character within World of Warcraft gathered more than 11,000 signatures, and Blizzard has said it is taking care of it. The Blizzard response comes from Technical Game Designer, Chadd Nervigg, and while we don't know exactly how Blizzard intends to come through, the fans have been asking for a permanent tribute character performing at World's End Tavern, delivering some of Williams' best material.

Williams was a hardcore gamer who loved playing World of Warcraft, but preferred to keep his online identity secret. It's said he used to play the Mannororth server - "and was something of a troll in trade on good days," remembers petitioner Jacob Holgate - building his own overclocked system to get the most out of his PC gaming.

"It is with a growing sense of pride for the World of Warcraft community that I declare victory for this petition," writes Holgate. "In less than twenty four hours we've earned eleven thousand signatures, a huge amount of traction on many gaming and new outlets, as well as assurance from Blizzard employees that our desire for a Robin Williams tribute and or NPC will be handled with great care."

Though Williams was a Warcraft fan, that wasn't his only gaming pleasure by any means. He used to enjoy pen-and-paper tabletop, and segued from that into RPGs like Wizardry and the Zelda series. He was a huge fan of shooters, particularly Half Life and Call of Duty, and was enraptured by Portal. Though a tabletop fan with a multitude of Warhammer 40K armies, he never got to play any of them.

Here's hoping the petitioners get exactly what they're after, and a certain comedian appears at the World's End very soon.

Source: Change

What if the Robin Williams NPC will be in the Warlords of Draenor World's End Tavern (assuming it will be in Old Shattrath). The possibility makes this tribute seem even nicer. Then again adding in another NPC might cost a raid tier so... who knows?

Still, it would be nice of them. The fans clearly want it, and Blizzard often makes tributes to the dead in WoW.

Consequently, gamers have also sent a petition to Games Workshop to make a tribute model to Williams in Warhammer 40K. Same goes for Nintendo who recieved a petition to dedicate the new Zelda game for the WiiU to Williams. It's touching, really, and I hope they both comply.

That's pretty cool. He can warm up for Perry Gatner.

It's things like this that instantly make me forget what a immature fanbase we can sometimes be, and just makes me proud to be part of this community.

This is how you honour someone, by having his memory in a place he/she enjoyed.

I'm thinking one of the Conclave of the Wind's models would be the best tribute. They look suitably like genies and would be one of his most iconic appearances.

Then again, do we really want him sharing space with Paris Hilton?

I think this would be really cool. Maybe they could get the NPC to actually use his voice from different movies as a response, or something. I dont play WOW, but would hope to see youtube video of this if they do this.

Riff Moonraker:
I think this would be really cool. Maybe they could get the NPC to actually use his voice from different movies as a response, or something. I dont play WOW, but would hope to see youtube video of this if they do this.

There'd be copyright issues to using his actual voice.

OTOH, Blizzard does like their references and shout-outs, they could do a lot with that.

I wonder what stats his belt will have.

thaluikhain:

Riff Moonraker:

There'd be copyright issues to using his actual voice.

OTOH, Blizzard does like their references and shout-outs, they could do a lot with that.

Oh yeah, I have no doubt that there would be... I would LIKE to think that it would be something that could be allowed, though. (Hey, I am being hopeful, here. ;) )

And here a couple days ago some guildies scoffed when I told them he was a gamer, like a dead person was somehow encroaching on their honored title. I hope to see this NPC appear in WoW - hope that all the petitions follow through - just to say "I told ya so".

Seems like an unbelievably tasteless marketing ploy to me.

Jupiter065:

Of course it is... but we're an unbelievable tasteless species... so whatcanyado?

I don't play WOW... but is it odd that I find this notion rather touching?

Karloff:
Though Williams was a Warcraft fan, that wasn't his only gaming pleasure by any means. He used to enjoy pen-and-paper tabletop, and segued from that into RPGs like Wizardry and the Zelda series. He was a huge fan of shooters, particularly Half Life and Call of Duty, and was enraptured by Portal. Though a tabletop fan with a multitude of Warhammer 40K armies, he never got to play any of them.

Don't forget Pokémon. Williams expressed interest in playing Professor Oak if there were ever a live-action Pokémon movie, and if I recall, Nintendo execs at some level or another claimed he was there top choice in that event.

Really gonna miss him. His performances never failed to brighten my day, even when the surrounding movie was terrible (looking at you, Patch Adams.)

Along with games, Williams was also quite a big anime fan, citing Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop as his favorites.

Kyber:

I would guess he would be wearing a +1billion Charisma Leather Belt. I would guess.

Don't you mean Wobin Rilliams? That's usually how wow does real world references, like with Hemet Nesingwary (Earnest Hemmingway).

Kyber:

Uncool, bro. You should be ashamed of yourself.

OT: As an ex-WoW player, I think this is a splendid idea. There are plenty of other references in WoW to celebrities both living and passed on, so why not immortalize Mr. Williams like this?

Kudos to Blizzard.

That's gonna be one funny immortalization

Jupiter065:

The man apparently loved and played the game, and it was requested by the fans. I wouldn't call listening to your community and honoring a fallen player tasteless just because they might get some publicity out of it.

Blizz gets some buzz, we get something to remember him by in-game (and this would very much not be a first time for a memorial to be put into the game), and Williams is immortalized in a game he deeply enjoyed. Everyone wins.

Remus:
And here a couple days ago some guildies scoffed when I told them he was a gamer, like a dead person was somehow encroaching on their honored title. I hope to see this NPC appear in WoW - hope that all the petitions follow through - just to say "I told ya so".

I thought this was common knowledge among WoW playerbase. Huh. Oh well.

I knew they'd do it. I wasn't sure how or where (Either immortalizing his character on his server or a brand new NPC)but now I know.

He was a fan of Half Life? Now I feel even more sorry for him; he'll never get to play Half Life 3.

Master_of_Oldskool:

Don't forget Pokémon. Williams expressed interest in playing Professor Oak if there were ever a live-action Pokémon movie, and if I recall, Nintendo execs at some level or another claimed he was there top choice in that event.

Personally, my top choice for live-action Prof. Oak would be to give Patrick Stewart a topee.

In any case, RIP Mr. Williams, and grats to the WoW community for making this happen in so short a time span.

sumanoskae:
He was a fan of Half Life? Now I feel even more sorry for him; he'll never get to play Half Life 3.

Yeah, but then neither will any of us. BA-DUM-TISH!

Jupiter065:

It is tasteless, it takes just a modicum of sense to tell that you shouldn't advertise the monument you're planning on building to honor the deceased on the day after he died, it's obvious they've never even met the guy, have some tact for the love of god.

Anything to capitalize on nostalgia, eh Blizzard?

Well it wouldn't be the first time Blizzard paid in-game tribute to a fallen WoW comrade. People can cry about insensitivity, marketing the dead, and whatever else but in reality it's just like any other tribute to the dead. Blizzard doesn't profit from this whatsoever.

Why are people claiming that this is a shameless marketing move? The community asked for it, and people aren't going to start playing WoW just to see a RW NPC.

Infernal Lawyer:
Why are people claiming that this is a shameless marketing move? The community asked for it, and people aren't going to start playing WoW just to see a RW NPC.

All of this. I don't play WoW. This won't change anything. I do however think that it's a nice gesture and may even search it up later to see what the tribute ended up taking the form of.

Do the commenters here even read the article? It specifically states 'Community Request' not that Blizzard has complied or even answered the petition. How's that a marketing ploy?

Thats a nice gesture on Blizzard`s part. And they have put TONS of tributes, refferences, easter eggs in WoW already so this is also logical especially after the community asked for it.

It's a nice gesture, but I'm not sure I particularly care for the location of the tribute - You know what the average player population of Shatrath City is day to day? Maybe a handful of players, if that. I hope it's in the WoD Shatrath instead, or in a location where more players will see him.

Jupiter065:

I've had similar thoughts, as well as thinking that if this much attention was given to him while he was still alive, maybe things would have ended differently. Of course it seems we know more about him after he's passed than we did when he was alive.

That said something CAN double as a memorial and marketing tactic, in the case of WoW, if he really was a player it's not unreasonable. Honestly though if I was Blizzard I'd be a bit more subtle than people's other ideas. If I was the guy who was going to make his memorial, I'd put an NPC standing around one of the auction house areas named after his character, since he allegedly liked to troll the trade channel (and I imagine Robin Williams was a hugely amusing Troll). People on the server where he played will probably figure it out, so it will get around, but it will be a mystery to begin with.

This would be a tribute to Robin Williams in WoW, as opposed to another celebrity parody like Haris Pilton (who I've actually wondered about playing WoW, given the reference). At the end of the day celebrities are people too and kill time doing the same things the rest of us do. I'm wary when people claim to be someone famous online, since I figure most keep a low profile, but it is possible.

mew4ever23:
It's a nice gesture, but I'm not sure I particularly care for the location of the tribute - You know what the average player population of Shatrath City is day to day? Maybe a handful of players, if that. I hope it's in the WoD Shatrath instead, or in a location where more players will see him.

Well the lore/concept behind The World's End makes it the best place for something like that to show up, especially seeing as it already has another well known celebrity cameo. That said, it would give people a reason to visit an old, and neglected zone (which ironically used to be a hub for the entire game).

RA92:
Along with games, Williams was also quite a big anime fan, citing Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop as his favorites.

We get it, he was a human being who enjoyed media. FFS. What next? You're going to idolize over the food he liked?

celebrity culture should just go and die.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here