Edge of Tomorrow Bombed at the Box Office... So Warner Bros Renamed It (Again)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Edge of Tomorrow Bombed at the Box Office... So Warner Bros Renamed It (Again)

It seems a bit late in Edge of Tomorrow's lifecycle for a title change to fix things, but as a big box office flop the newly-named Live Die Repeat can't do much worse.

Remember Edge of Tomorrow, the sci-fi summer blockbuster starring Tom Cruise? No? Well, you aren't alone: the film had a disappointing turn at the US box office, earning only $99 million of its $178 million production budget. Though it did much better internationally -- making $264 million or 72% of its total gross -- there was no salvaging the American release. Despite being a pretty fun sci-fi flick, the film lost out to both The Fault Is in Our Stars and Maleficent at the American box office, premiering in third place.

That kind of crushing defeat is probably why when Warner Bros. released Edge of Tomorrow on home video, they stopped calling it Edge of Tomorrow. The new name? Live Die Repeat, which also happens to be a pretty accurate plot summary. This is actually the second time the movie's name has changed as the original title was All You Need Is Kill, which sounds more exciting than either of its replacements. Is it too late for Warner Bros. to get its act together on this one? Probably. But it's cute that the company keeps trying.

Still, if you're looking to pick up this many-named movie, which releases on October 7th, you may find some retailers calling it by different names -- Amazon currently lists it as Edge of Tomorrow, but iTunes lists it as Live Die Repeat with updated artwork reflecting the title change. If you're having trouble tracking it down, you could just ask the clerk for "that sci-fi Tom Cruise movie," which is probably equally descriptive.

Source: CinemaBlend via io9

I... I liked it.

<.<

I don't like the name change but whatever.

They'd have more luck recasting the lead instead of renaming the title.

I don't watch Tom Cruise stuff anymore.

Oh man, I completely forgot about this movie. I wanted to see it too, because it sounds like they actually did it right: Lots of action and fighting, more than what we just see in the trailer, which is a common crime nowadays to me.

Good to know about the name change. I thought, reading this article, that it had already come out and I completely missed it. Now I'll know what to look for.

I honestly forgot it was even in the theatres despite wanting to go see it based on from what I was told by a few of my friends that said it was awesome.

Then again, I'm pretty terrible when it comes to movies, so I will most likely forget that the name was changed. >.>

New name sounds kinda neat though.

thats interesting that it apparently bombed. since when i saw it a week after release the theater was still pretty full (which never happens normally).

then again I'm not in the US

"that sci-fi Tom Cruise movie" could be a few things... even if add "forgettable" to that description, you could still be talking Oblivion.

Olrod:

Well you should because it's a very good movie and it has something for everyone.

If you like Tom Cruise (like me!), you're happy to see Tom Cruise doing his Cruise thing
If you don't like Tom Cruise (like you!), you're happy because about 3/4 of the movie is Tom Cruise getting killed (sometimes in very hilarious ways)

Everyone wins!

OT: This seems like a terrible idea.

If you were one of the six people who went and wish to own it on the Blu-Rays (like me!), then changing the name is just going to make it a pain in the ass to find (especially with companies like Asylum running around with their Mockumentaries).

If you were one of my friends who I gushed this movie to, you're going to be expecting to find "Edge of Tomorrow" wherever you are buying it, not "Live, Die, Repeat".

This seems like one of those decisions that probably should have been made a lot longer ago. I don't see how this could possibly benefit them while seeing many downsides...

Is this film based on the manga "All you need is kill", or the other way around?
Does it appear at any point a guy with power armor and a giant axe?

Nevrim:
Is this film based on the manga "All you need is kill", or the other way around?

All You Need Is Kill was a Japanese light novel. It was renamed Edge of Tomorrow for its international release for god knows what reason. Both the movie and manga are based on it, with the manga being a more faithful adaptation.

At any rate, I like this new title a lot better, but to be honest, I don't see why they can't just keep the original freakin' name.

Considering all the marketing materials gave more prominence to the Live. Die. Repeat. Tag line than the actual title of the film, this makes a certain kind of sense.

-m

Redlin5:
I... I liked it.

<.<

Yeah. I wouldn't call it an amazing movie, but overall, I liked it. It was completely adequate for what it was trying to be. Honestly, my two main issues were fairly minor.

1: The exo-suits are very silly in their design. Imagine how much more resistant their pilots would be to stabbing if their powered armor was completely armored over.

2: The aliens. Whoever designed those things (they're considerably different from the Mimics in the source material) needs to never be allowed to design monsters again. They're just so excessively busy, and there's never once in the movie (except in that one hologram) where you actually get a decent look at what the things actually are. They're just these jumbled, blurry masses of tentacles zipping around too fast to see. They may as well have been sapient flying sawblades, and they would have had the same effect.

Overall though, it was a fun enough movie for what it was.

tippy2k2:

Olrod:

Well you should because it's a very good movie and it has something for everyone.

If you like Tom Cruise (like me!), you're happy to see Tom Cruise doing his Cruise thing
If you don't like Tom Cruise (like you!), you're happy because about 3/4 of the movie is Tom Cruise getting killed (sometimes in very hilarious ways)

Everyone wins!

Wow... you know, you may have just changed my mind about the film.

The aliens aren't the same ones from his cult, right?

Shame. I thought it was actually a decent movie.

rcs619:

Redlin5:
I... I liked it.

<.<

1: The exo-suits are very silly in their design. Imagine how much more resistant their pilots would be to stabbing if their powered armor was completely armored over.

It would also make them extremely heavy. Armour plating is bulky shit. Which would require a larger power supply and more powerful engines, which in turn would both be heavier.

2: The aliens. Whoever designed those things (they're considerably different from the Mimics in the source material) needs to never be allowed to design monsters again. They're just so excessively busy, and there's never once in the movie (except in that one hologram) where you actually get a decent look at what the things actually are. They're just these jumbled, blurry masses of tentacles zipping around too fast to see. They may as well have been sapient flying sawblades, and they would have had the same effect.

I kinda liked the aliens. They were visually very messy, sure, but I liked how they came across as these hyper-frenetic jumbles of claws and tentacles. Actually made them pretty menacing.

Mahorfeus:
At any rate, I like this new title a lot better, but to be honest, I don't see why they can't just keep the original freakin' name.

I'm guessing it's because "All You Need is Kill" sounds goofy as hell.

This was a good movie. It deserved to do better than it did. That said: You are actually doing yourself a disservice by renaming it on home release. It has even less recognition with a new name that the original did.

I actually enjoyed that movie a lot, had a blast watching and laugh a lot

Watched it twice. Will buy it on Blu Ray once it comes out.

I have no regrets.

Live Die Repeat was the tagline for it, at least in England. And I personally think it's a lot better. Still, I won't buy it. Tom Cruise is one of those people I don't want to give money to, like Orson Scott Card and Chris Brown. I love the look of the movie, and if I see it on TV or Netflix or a friend buys it or something I will totally watch it, but I don't want to give any of my money directly to Cruise because I know he'll spend at least a bit of it on that pyramid scheme that shall remain unnamed and I don't want to support those guys, even by proxy.

Live Die Repeat sounds much better than Edge of Tomorrow, and both sound grammatically correct over 'All You Need Is Kill'.

Also, why the big deal of it not making money in the States? It doubled the money put into it...but not from the country it oriented from? What...does almost all the 2 hundred million dollars not even make it back somehow?

I liked the movie, and I'm usually pretty hard on films. It was no great, groundbreaking work, but the plot was decent and other than a weak final act, I found the whole thing pretty amusing and well worth the price of admission.

Gearhead mk2:
Snip

Cruse already has his money for the project, as an actor he either gets a flat rate for his work or a flat rate and a part of the gross. With the dvds and blu ray, he gets nothing more out of it, so you should rent it since it is a pretty good movie.

OT: I thought we had left the age where something tanking at the domestic but making a massive profit international was considered a failure. Sure didn't stop Pacific Rim from getting a sequel AND a cartoon.

Such a shame, I thought it was the best movie of the year so far (yes, better than Guardians of the Galaxy...maybe about the same as The Raid 2). Oh well, this means it might make it to cult status :)

If you haven't seen it because you don't like Tom Cruise then you're missing out. You get to see Tom Cruise die. Lots of times. In many humorous ways. He doesn't play his normal stereotypical macho role (at least not until the end of the film) he plays a little coward which is a nice turn of events.

Reaper195:
Live Die Repeat sounds much better than Edge of Tomorrow, and both sound grammatically correct over 'All You Need Is Kill'.

'All you need is kill' was the title of the books it was based off of though. It's a normal outcome for a light novel series that got its name translated by more literal translators.

Zontar:

Gearhead mk2:
Snip

Cruse already has his money for the project, as an actor he either gets a flat rate for his work or a flat rate and a part of the gross. With the dvds and blu ray, he gets nothing more out of it, so you should rent it since it is a pretty good movie.

OT: I thought we had left the age where something tanking at the domestic but making a massive profit international was considered a failure. Sure didn't stop Pacific Rim from getting a sequel AND a cartoon.

...oh, right. Thanks. Now I can watch this guilt free! And yeah, I'm sick of these thing making more money then most small countries and still being considered failures. How bloated must these studios be for something to make that much cash and still be classed as bombs?

Also, didn't they already make a Pacific Rim cartoon? I think it was called Evangellion. /snark

earning only $99 million of its $178 million production budget. Though it did much better internationally -- making $264 million

While I'm not sure how 99+264 is considered a flop next to 178, can't really object to them thinking they can do better with a different name. But definitely rather pointless at this stage.

Reaper195:

Also, why the big deal of it not making money in the States? It doubled the money put into it...but not from the country it oriented from? What...does almost all the 2 hundred million dollars not even make it back somehow?

Any special effects Hollywood film with even just a production budget of $100 million needs a world wide gross of at least $500 million for the studio's to be happy remember they don't want to 'break even' they want to actually come out ahead since no business lasts long if the best it can do is 'break even'.

According to box office mojo EoT had a budget of $178 million and a world wide gross of $363.6 million (11th highest of the year) so it broke even but that is still a bomb.

Poor Warner Brothers, I feel so bad for them... The movie only made $185,000,000 more than its production budget? Hard times for these movie makers, hard times.

I blame the pirates...

The new name just sounds unimaginative. Sure, it isn't cliche, but it doesn't have much substance to it either. It doesn't even have the roll off the tongue value a cliche title would have. Even only having four syllables, it still sounds like a mouthful because it just doesn't have any substance to it. Seriously, this just seems like a waste of time.

Hmm Live Die Repeat, sounds like a an interesting name. I wonder who came up with it?

Oh...

Well, to be fair, it's sort of...Groundhog's Day...without Bill Murray...and ugly brutal war-hell. I actually thought it could work, really, but I didn't want to personally go see it.

something can't bomb if it makes a profit can it?

anyway I really enjoyed this movie,

and aside from the fact I actually like the new title...uhh....why would they change it now? whats that going to do? I don't believe I've ever seen this happen before?

Should have gone with All You Need is Kill, that name has a more lasting impression.

On me anyways.

"All You Need is Kill" is like a pun gone wrong, "Edge of Tomorrow" doesn't really mean anything, and "Live Die Repeat" is just TOO stupid. Why not "Eternal Invasion", or just something that's less of a word salad.

Just go see this movie, it beat the shit out of Oblivion and Tom Cruise was a normal person in it.

I actually like the fact that they didn't take too much from the manga. I thought the ending for the manga was pretty piss poor and enjoyed the changes the movie added.

its a shame the movie didn't do so well I liked it, but I guess the real life tom cruise hate is starting to affect his movies

this new name just sounds like tag-line for a die hard sequel and that old one sounds like the title of some intentionally bad fake movie that you would see in something else

also for those saying the numbers dont add up after about 5 minutes of research I found this

"According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release - and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number."

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here