Sony Not Planning on Doing Too Many Remaster Ports

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Not Planning on Doing Too Many Remaster Ports

Sony will only be porting over previous generation games to the PS4 when it "makes sense."

Jim Ryan PlayStation UK

"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that." This was a statement made by Jim Ryan, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in response to a question about the success of The Last Of Us Remastered and what that means for more games making their way to the PlayStation 4 in the future.

"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense," going on to explain that The Last of Us was a smart move given its extremely high Metacritic scores. Furthermore, Sony now has a new demographic of PlayStation 4 owners who previously only owned a competitor platform and thus weren't able to experience The Last of Us on the PlayStation 3.

That said, "I think the balance is just about right but you know, there are other games that could be looked at, but there'll come a point where next gen will have moved on and rehashing old-gen will have passed its sell-by date."

The CVG interview with Ryan also provided details on his feeling about exclusivity, in particular given Microsoft's announcement of Rise Of The Tomb Raider's timed exclusive. "So do we feel the need to go out and buy outright exclusivity? Probably not... we showed updated videos of games that we had revealed at E3. That's because we wanted to keep the [Gamescom press] show itself full of new, fresh things. We think that gave us a good, strong, convincing portfolio of exclusive stuff and we're happy with that."

Source: GameSpot

"We won't do too many...just lots."

Give me a remastered Spyro the Dragon then!

"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense," Translation: "Does it make us a metric fuck ton of money? Yes? Re-release it!"

The only one I really want from you now, Sony, is an inFAMOUS 1 and 2 Remaster. That's really all.

"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that."

I think they're a little late on that. This gen really does look rehashed so far.

Aslong as they are able to produce quality new stuff i don't mind this. It's still a bit odd to see this trend and not having a reason to buy a new console. The games i want now are going to be released in 1-2years. Ok this isn't quite right, ironically it's gta5 which could make me buy a ps4.

Well Sony, you could start by not remaking games that are literally just over a year old.

Lets see them re-releasing Lair.

So does this mean the vita's getting nothing now at all ;p

Also ya playstation is getting a remastered port of Akiba's trip so ya I say they are still doing a lot.

Casual Shinji:
The only one I really want from you now, Sony, is an inFAMOUS 1 and 2 Remaster. That's really all.

+ MGS4.

Then I will consider it worth buying a PS4.

Sony: We just couldn't invest the time and money in making the PS4 backwards-compatible with PS3 games, but taking the time and money to re-release individual PS3 games? That we can do!

"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen."

Too late for that. The only one who has changed from last Generation is Nintendo... and while I like them, they're really just playing "catch-up" in that regard. Granted, they're the ones who are most interesting at the moment, but they also had a year head start (which they mostly wasted).

"I think we'll look at it as and when it makes sense"

This didn't make sense because it only just came out in the past year. Re-porting it and charging full price (good or not) is still a rip off. I get GTA because it's still getting lots of online support and new modes (though I still don't LIKE the idea). Though it makes MORE sense for Sony to re-release crap over Square Enix, which is just re-releasing things they already said didn't sell well during their initial launch for the new consoles... expect something to somehow be different when cheaper copies for older consoles exist and are still just as good.

DaxStrife:
Sony: We just couldn't invest the time and money in making the PS4 backwards-compatible with PS3 games, but taking the time and money to re-release individual PS3 games? That we can do!

inb4: BUT THEY COULDN'T DO IT!

The problem is they couldn't do it because the technology in the PS3 and the PS4 aren't compatible to pull that off. Don't get me wrong, I completely 100% agree with you that the PS4 (from where I'm sitting) is an abysmal failure in terms of what the device could actually be capable of (not sales) all because Sony insisted on the technology they used for the PS3... which is what caused that system to be overpriced and have an internal architecture that still hasn't been fully utilized. I like the PS3, but the choices they made with that system are now biting them in the ass (again) with the PS4, making it a system that, overall, does less and has kept me from buying it simply because I can't keep playing my PS3, PS2, and PS1 games like I can on my current PS3.

The Last of Us re-release makes sense as there were a lot of people, myself included, who didn't have a PS3 but have a PS4. Given the praise and acclaim the game received, I can see why they would make the choice they did. But the proof will be in the pudding as to whether they will keep being picky about what they re-release moving forward. I'd say it will really all come down to how well the Last of Us re-release sells. If it turns out to be very financially viable, I can easily see their principles relaxing.

josemlopes:
Lets see them re-releasing Lair.

On a more serious note, lets see them release a version of Killzone 2 that actually looks like the trailer.

Maybe they can even include that sequence in it this time too.

I'd rather get MediEvil 3 than ports of year old games, but whatever Sony thinks is best I guess.

Haven't really gotten much use out of my PS4 sadly.

Of course not. Who actually plans to do too many?

DaxStrife:

Making the PS4 BC is easy it's just no one would pay $700 for a BC PS4 just like no one bought a BC PS3 they waited till it was removed and the console was cheaper.

SilverUchiha:
"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen."

Too late for that. The only one who has changed from last Generation is Nintendo... and while I like them, they're really just playing "catch-up" in that regard. Granted, they're the ones who are most interesting at the moment, but they also had a year head start (which they mostly wasted).

This didn't make sense because it only just came out in the past year. Re-porting it and charging full price (good or not) is still a rip off. I get GTA because it's still getting lots of online support and new modes (though I still don't LIKE the idea). Though it makes MORE sense for Sony to re-release crap over Square Enix, which is just re-releasing things they already said didn't sell well during their initial launch for the new consoles... expect something to somehow be different when cheaper copies for older consoles exist and are still just as good.

Nintendo has changed?

new 2D Mario check
new 3D Mario check
new wii sports check
new wii fit check
new Mario kart check
new smash bros check

lots of new ideas there.

AndrewC:
"We won't do too many...just lots."

Give me a remastered Spyro the Dragon then!

First post, and already someone has the right idea. Just remaster the original three (trilogy?) games. He was basically your damn mascot for nearly a decade Sony, show him some love! Get him out of pay-to-win-ville for a bit!

What shenanigans is this?! I bought a PS4 so I could buy my entire PS3 library again, play the first hour of the same games, realize a graphic change didn't improve the terrible plots/characters, throw the controller down in a huff and go back to Steam.
If Sony doesn't half ass the PS4 releases, how am I supposed to feel like the PS4 was a complete waste?! For shame, Sony! For shame!

Casual Shinji:

Do that and you've got a guaranteed PS4 purchase from me. I have wanted to play those games for AGES but I never had a PS3. I would so buy a PS4 just to get them.

Now Sony, want me to buy a PS4? How about you remaster the Ape Escape games, mainly 1-3, and I will run to my nearest store and buy a PS4 right now. Or better yet, make me my MediEvil 3 and Ape Escape 4! >.<

In all seriousness, I don't mind remastered ports or anything, because I know not everyone had a PS3 last gen and doesn't want to get one if they get a PS4, so this could be ways for people to get games they didn't play before. If there were games I'd want that were from last gen, and not just HD remakes I want, then I'd say do Infamous like how some of the replies here have been.

I can understand where they're coming from. The Last of Us Remastered wasn't just an opportunity to sell the game to more people (and occasionally the same people). It was more time consuming and expensive to make than most remasters because the original code was so carefully optimized for the PS3. But it serves the dual purpose of porting the engine to PS4, so they can reuse it for Uncharted 4, and giving Naughty Dog experience with the PS4. Even if they weren't going to sell it, it would've been a good project to do.

But yeah, I don't see older Gran Turismo games the original LittleBigPlanet coming to PS4 ever, not for games that are so un-story driven; a sequel would serve the same purpose but better. Nobody would buy ports of these.

P.S. Thanks

"You can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that."

*looks at the PS4 games list* Let's see....here's a list of games which either released both on PS3 and PS4, or which had an "ultimate edition" release on the PS4 when the original game released for PS3:

Assassin's Creed IV
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Far Cry 4
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Metal Gear Solid 5
Rayman Legends
Resident Evil HD
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Watch Dogs
(and I'm sure I missed some....)

Hey, you're right. This generation does look like a rehashed last-gen. Thanks for letting me know so I could avoid buying a console even longer!

youji itami:
Nintendo has changed?

new 2D Mario check
new 3D Mario check
new wii sports check
new wii fit check
new Mario kart check
new smash bros check

lots of new ideas there.

Oh look, this argument again.

It falls apart once you start elaborating beyond the general type of game, so I guess it makes sense that you only looked at the barest of bare bones of the game and declared them identical to each other.

But now I'm going to do the same with the PS4, and I'm sure you'll tell me that I'm being far too generalized and unfair, right? Here goes:

New Naughty Dog game, check.
New Assassin's Creed, check.
New Batman Arkham game, check.
New Call of Duty, check.
New FIFA, check.
New Madden, check.
New NBA Live/NBA 2K games, check and check.
New Infamous, check.
New Killzone, check.
New LittleBigPlanet, check.
New Mortal Kombat, check.

Need I continue?

Also, worth noting that most of the above franchises keep getting new games at a much, much faster rate than Nintendo. For example, the last 3D Zelda game was Skyward Sword back in 2011, and now they'll have a new one in 2015 most likely. That's four years between games. Similarly, both 2D and 3D Marios have about 3 years of spacing between each release. Smash Bros has much more irregular spacing, since it's only had one game per console, but averages about 5 years per game.

How many of the above franchises and companies have taken 3+ years to come out with their next iteration? Not AssCreed, they've had almost a game every year. Call of Duty, ditto. All of the sports games, also ditto. The Arkham games have been about 2 years of spacing between 'em. Killzone's spaced out about every two years, as is Infamous. Mortal Kombat used to release a game every year until its popularity faded out. LittleBigPlanet is the only one that manages to space itself out at 3 years or more between iterations.

And the moral of the story is what, kids? Certainly, that everybody rehashes themselves, but also that Nintendo is not even close to the worst offender. So bitching about Nintendo being heavy on the rehashing is like complaining that a homeless kitten is shifting through your trash at the same time while ignoring the mountain lion right next to him chowing down on the very same trash.

Well I don't care what anyone says I'll happily pay for a Dragon's Dogma remaster. I'd love to play that game on a console strong enough so that it doesn't have atrocious enemy pop-in.

I'll also accept a PC release.

So... Does that mean they would only remaster ports if either A)It was popular enough for everyone to get a change to experience said game "somehow" or B)It could bring something new to the table in general?

Either way, don't be afraid to just do it due to a high demand for it... Just saying...

Bringing PS3 exclusives to the PS4 is a good move, and while many will bemoan it as greed I'd disagree (not that the gaining of money isn't involved, of course it is and if you think that is a bad thing than well...). Lots of people now have a PS4 when they never had a PS3 so those games are now available to them with better graphics and with all the DLC/extras bundled in.
I owned a PS3 but for example never got round to playing The last of Us, I've now bought it for the PS4 at a good price.

youji itami:

SilverUchiha:

Nintendo has changed?

new 2D Mario check
new 3D Mario check
new wii sports check
new wii fit check
new Mario kart check
new smash bros check

lots of new ideas there.

What has Nintendo changed, you ask?

Better online support - check
Better online store - also check
Move to HD visuals - check
HD visuals with good aesthetics and use of color - double check
Reaching out to indies and third party devs (even if some aren't wanting to play - check
Getting good or interesting indies and 3rd party games - half-check
Pushing for better public image with livestreams, supporting Smash Tournaments, and even making fun of themselves and using the internet in ways they hadn't before - check
Having a unique gaming device that isn't reliant on gimmick motion controls - check (yes, I think the touch-pad is actually a worthwhile idea overall).

You're just looking at individual games. Games that have been improved by all the changes listed above. And, as I said, this is Nintendo playing catch-up, but they're doing so in a mostly impressive way.

Can we reach way back and start remaking some classics? I'll buy anything that has an updated legacy of Kain: soul reaver or legend of dragoon.

TizzytheTormentor:
I'd rather get MediEvil 3 than ports of year old games, but whatever Sony thinks is best I guess.

Yeah, I'd like to see this, finish Legacy of Kain, a few other ideas...

You wanna remaster something? I WANT SKIES OF ARCADIA!!

FalloutJack:

TizzytheTormentor:

I really wanted to play Skies of Arcadia but could not, partly because I didn't own a Dreamcast, but mostly because...do you have any idea how pricey this game is online for GC?

TizzytheTormentor:

FalloutJack:

TizzytheTormentor:

I really wanted to play Skies of Arcadia but could not, partly because I didn't own a Dreamcast, but mostly because...do you have any idea how pricey this game is online for GC?

Finding and buying a Gamecube itself may be cheaper.

FalloutJack:

Finding and buying a Gamecube itself may be cheaper.

It is. Skies on the GameCube costs about $60 to $100 for the game. GameCubes themselves go for about $40. What sucks is that Skies of Arcadia Legends is also one of the odd GameCube games that doesn't actually support 480p, and is only 480i. The original Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast is cheaper, but since the Dreamcast's online is gone you can't get the DLC for it that make the game the Legends edition.

I got lucky with mine as I got it for $10 back when GameStop still sold GameCube games, and I was surprised to find that it wasn't marked up or anything. I think the game is worth at least $60 for, since it did many things better than some modern JRPGs do. :P

"next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen". I Could not have put it better myself. You know you would not need to port so many games if you made your console backwards compatible. All this porting would also be more profitable if you ported the game to more platforms, all the platforms are x86-64 now so why not port it to xbox and PC too. Lets face it most PS4 owners will have or had a PS3 so are they relay going to buy the same game again ? Whereas an Xbox or PC owner has never had that game before so its like a brand new title for them for what may as well be free, pure profit!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here