Google Tracks Where You've Been, Learn How to Disable It

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Google Tracks Where You've Been, Learn How to Disable It

google map tracking

If you have location services enabled on your phone, Google maps where you go.

Google Maps stores location data on phones, effectively tracking where you've been while your smartphone is in your pocket. Luckily, smartphone owners can easily disable this feature if it's not turned off already.

Google places a red dot on a map and breaks down locations you've visited by day as well as how you were traveling (walking, driving, etc.) It stores this information for its own records, but you can also view your location history online. Log in with the same Google account associated with your phone, and if you've had location services enabled, you'll see the red dots and lines tracking where you've traveled each day.

This happens when you have Google's location services enabled on your phone. Fortunately, Google makes this easy to disable. In your settings under Google Location Reporting, you can disable both location reporting and location history. Location Reporting allows Google to store your location data for where you've been and whether you were walking, driving, or biking. Google noted that this feature can also use a lot of data, so if you have it turned on, that's another reason to be wary. Location History allows Google to store a history of your location data across your devices through your Google account. Turning these off will not erase your location history.

On the same page as your location history map, you can delete all history. While the data won't be completely gone, the average person won't be able to see it.

This is, of course, nothing new and comes as no surprise to people who have been paying attention. Companies have been tracking consumers for years, trying to tailor content to specific people. Ethan Zuckerman, the creator of the first pop-up advertisement, explained earlier this week that public and private surveillance often cooperate and work together. While people have been worried about government surveillance, private companies also access and store your personal information.

Source: Junkee

I disabled mine by not owning a smart phone. As an added bonus, my phone bill is 2000($20 USD) a month.

I must have disabled it a long time ago, because when I checked, it said it had no location data. Hooray!

I don't keep GPS on all the time I use the smartphone. And I don't use the smartphone all that often. Unfortunately mine doesn't allow to disable tracking independently of disabling GPS so if I need the GPS on this particular phone, I can't avoid being tracked.

Anyway, lately I've been wondering why people don't care when a business company is tracking them ("oh it's just for targeting ads, let them") but lose all their shit when it turns out government is tracking them. What's the difference?

Eh, I like to keep mine on, it automatically tracks where I park my car (somehow, dunno how) and I can just look at my tablet if I forget.

Also keeps track of how long it'd take me to get home so I know when to leave at the right time.

Somehow I doubt "disabling" it will actually disable it.

My trackmap was empty.

FINALLY BEING A SEXLESS UNFUN SQUARE HAS PAID OFF.

I'm just happy that somebody's finally interested in my life.

Alternatively give the information needed to access this to trusted contacts and have an added level of protection in case something happens to you or someone steals your phone.

Not all tracking is the devil.

Ha! I don't have a smart phone, still have a regular cell phone so nyah!

Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only one who has no problem with this...

maidenm:

Same. So, Google knows that I take a train sometimes. Whoopdeedoo.

Sgt. Sykes:
I don't keep GPS on all the time I use the smartphone. And I don't use the smartphone all that often. Unfortunately mine doesn't allow to disable tracking independently of disabling GPS so if I need the GPS on this particular phone, I can't avoid being tracked.

Anyway, lately I've been wondering why people don't care when a business company is tracking them ("oh it's just for targeting ads, let them") but lose all their shit when it turns out government is tracking them. What's the difference?

There isn't much of a difference. I think the main distinction people make is that centralized government databases are generally used for wider purposes but with the back-door many countries seem to require into all your data the difference between a Google server and an NSA server is immaterial. That's why i get so pissed off about Google and it's ad services tracking your every movie and click. Not to sound paranoid but i do everything in my power to disrupt tracking even from my ISP. I'm not sure about discussion of such things on here but if you have a modern router you can do all kinds of goodness if you have direct access to it. You also need full control over cookies, hiding your IP address a

My ISP tried to tell me i had to use their router and couldn't run anti-tracking/ anonymising services. I told them i didn't need to use them as an ISP.

The problem most people don't realize is how difficult it can be to disable all forms of smartphone tracking. For example connecting to many Wi-Fi hotspots will have them gather as much data about you as possible, sometimes to an unreasonable degree. Smartphones aren't nearly as private as a well set up PC can be.

It sounds like conspiracy theory stuff but we live in a world of secret courts ordering the illegal and unjustified opening up of all information to government scrutiny. As we saw with Lavabit encryption the government can't crack seems to be regarded as illegal. All metadata is seen as fair game and warrens are rubber-stamped behind closed doors. In the USA in many ways privacy is illegal. This is all established fact. We know they have used and continue to use secret court orders and secret laws.

GamerKT:

maidenm:

Google knows if you are having an affair and who with. Google knows if you are gay. Google knows what political ideology you subscribe to, if you frequent certain people's houses and where different people gather. It can read your associations and friends.

This might not seem scary in a vacuum but combined with the kind of meta-data we know governments gather and the back doors they require tech companies to build in we can't assume only google as access to your movements.

Once you government or even foreign governments know who your social circle is, what your system of beliefs is, where you blog, who you call and text, who you message on facebook and the content of those messages, where you go and where your friends meet it starts to become different. Couple that with large levels of CCTV (especially where i come from in the UK) and anti-terror surveillance orders being misused to track school applications.

What happens when become someone important or a dissenting voice? You need to THINK about the information accumulated about you and how it can be used against you. That level of information is powerful and can be obtained without a warrant (or a rubber-stamp secret warrant) of any kind in many places including the US and by extension of inelegance sharing the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia (the five eyes)

Bolo The Great:

GamerKT:

maidenm:

Google knows if you are having an affair and who with. Google knows if you are gay. Google knows what political ideology you subscribe to, if you frequent certain people's houses and where different people gather. It can read your associations and friends.

This might not seem scary in a vacuum but combined with the kind of meta-data we know governments gather and the back doors they require tech companies to build in we can't assume only google as access to your movements.

Once you government or even foreign governments know who your social circle is, what your system of beliefs is, where you blog, who you call and text, who you message on facebook and the content of those messages, where you go and where your friends meet it starts to become different. Couple that with large levels of CCTV (especially where i come from in the UK) and anti-terror surveillance orders being misused to track school applications.

What happens when become someone important or a dissenting voice? You need to THINK about the information accumulated about you and how it can be used against you. That level of information is powerful and can be obtained without a warrant (or a rubber-stamp secret warrant) of any kind in many places including the US and by extension of inelegance sharing the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia (the five eyes)

That would be something to consider if anyone cared about me. I'm just a young 20-something-year-old who just fucks around, literally and figuratively. I assure you that no one gives a shit about my life.

It turns out that not disabling it is going to play a very large factor into a police harassment case relatively soon.

I assume that it doesn't work if there is no internet connection? Either that or i have never went further than 100 meters from home, either way i don't care.

Doesn't seems to work very well on my device. I have it on and, despite going out for well over an hour yesterday, apparently I just stayed home. Also, it's only 7 am here now and I've apparently been to another suburb 30 minutes away while I was asleep.
Either someine else has my Google account logged into their device or mine's giving off false readings.

Sgt. Sykes:

They're libertarians?

Bolo The Great:

The thing is, it's unlikely that any amount of reasoning will change someone's mind. People tend to train themselves to not care until something goes wrong, and usually only personally. The only way the "I don't care" crowd is going to have a problem is if they see an invasion of privacy in action. By then, of course, it'll likely be too late to make any difference, but it is what it is.

I mean, people will ignore mountains of safety belt information because they've never been in a car accident and don't believe it can happen.

maidenm:

On some levels this wouldn't bother me (aside from the fact I turned long term Google history of anything off years ago) because I don't use cash and have all kinds of corporate intrusion and tracking on me because of my lifestyle and going to live in the woods is the only real way to avoid it now but how would you feel if someone you wouldn't want seeing that kind of stuff and they see everything you search for and everywhere you go? Google and big companies are not the problem here, it doesn't really hide anything from them or the government its other members of joe public.

Phones/Computers/Tablets get stolen and lost and can take time to disable without another device to hand, accounts can be hacked, vengeful partners during a bad breakup or an Ex might have access. All kinds of things can go wrong, seriously even the most ardent "I'm doing nothing wrong" crowd should seriously consider turning off any long term history storage and tracking features on anything for that reason alone.

GamerKT:
That would be something to consider if anyone cared about me. I'm just a young 20-something-year-old who just fucks around, literally and figuratively. I assure you that no one gives a shit about my life.

That friendly guy with a crowbar three streets away gives a shit... he cares very deeply about where you are and when you are out...

J Tyran:

maidenm:

On some levels this wouldn't bother me (aside from the fact I turned long term Google history of anything off years ago) because I don't use cash and have all kinds of corporate intrusion and tracking on me because of my lifestyle and going to live in the woods is the only real way to avoid it now but how would you feel if someone you wouldn't want seeing that kind of stuff and they see everything you search for and everywhere you go? Google and big companies are not the problem here, it doesn't really hide anything from them or the government its other members of joe public.

Phones/Computers/Tablets get stolen and lost and can take time to disable without another device to hand, accounts can be hacked, vengeful partners during a bad breakup or an Ex might have access. All kinds of things can go wrong, seriously even the most ardent "I'm doing nothing wrong" crowd should seriously consider turning off any long term history storage and tracking features on anything for that reason alone.

GamerKT:

That friendly guy with a crowbar three streets away gives a shit... he cares very deeply about where you are and when you are out...

(a) This magical crowbar doesn't give him access to my google data.
(b) If he magically DOES have access to google data, why is he wasting his time looking at mine and not an actual rich person?
(c) If my phone/computer/tablet gets stolen or lost, it only tells someone who can (magically) unlock it where I was, not where I am.
(d) Some people like this "flaw" so much they install an app like Foursquare to publish their movements to the world.

Relevant: http://xkcd.com/538/

Korskarn:

J Tyran:

maidenm:

GamerKT:

(a) This magical crowbar doesn't give him access to my google data.
(b) If he magically DOES have access to google data, why is he wasting his time looking at mine and not an actual rich person?
(c) If my phone/computer/tablet gets stolen or lost, it only tells someone who can (magically) unlock it where I was, not where I am.
(d) Some people like this "flaw" so much they install an app like Foursquare to publish their movements to the world.

Relevant: http://xkcd.com/538/

Your silly comic isn't relevant, the reality I mentioned is as I am not talking about fictional "hacking" but real shit people fall victim to. Criminals are becoming more and more technically adept and even the dumbest local crackhead can check social media to get details on potential targets (ever get home, sit and your computer and set Facebook or something similar to "online" regulary?) or look on the lists of peoples stolen account details that get posted online, oh and sure you might be a bit more security aware than most I wont disagree and even if your phone is always locked (in the house at all times? In the car? In your pocket? If not how long until you notice its gone and remotely erase any data?) most people are not.

To anyone that is security conscious the risk is lower but it exists, for most people though? People still download fucking toolbars for crying out loud.

Heh, I tend to keep GPS and wifi disabled to save on battery time, so I've got almost nothing in the phone. Also, what tracking they did have... wasn't very accurate. My home, my work, my train station, sure those had loads of red lines coming out of them. But they were straight red lines, making it look like I just flew directly between my home and my destination.

Also, I counted at least 3 places that it said I went to when I've never in my life been to them.

Things like this make me glad I do not own a smart phone, let alone carry my cellphone around with me.

Why would you keep your GPS on to begin with at any other time than you are using navigation? No way for google to track me if it does not know where it is.

Just out of interest i went to check the settings and.... the settings were not even available because they are done online and the phone isnt connected to internet. wonderful idea google! make local settings online.

Scars Unseen:
I disabled mine by not owning a smart phone. As an added bonus, my phone bill is 2000($20 USD) a month.

so you have poor functionality AND a large bill?

I don't have a cell phone at all. If I did, it would be a very boring route. I mean, I walk to the same exact place every day and no where else. I shop where I work, and I work where I shop, and I live 20 minute walk away from where I work. So it would be like a little L shape on a map... I would be ridiculously easy to find!

J Tyran:

maidenm:

Honestly? I'm still not really bothered by it. As for the people willing to take advatage of it? I'd say the problem is them, and regardless of methods they will find some way to get what they want. If I wanted to limit their options in hurting me I'd have to, as you say, go live in the woods. But personally I feel that tracking devices bring more good to the table than they do bad. Bad people will always exist, and they haven't needed GPS tracking to be bad before.

1 more reason why not owning any phone other than an old land line seems like a smart decision.

GamerKT:

Bolo The Great:

GamerKT:

Well fine then.

Then post your data here. Full name. Home address. Cell number. E-mail address. Where you work or study. The name of your closest relatives and people you care about. The names of the last 3 people you "fucked around" with, and their home addresses. And three or four places that you usually go in your spare time. And how much money you make? If you don't want to say the specific number, then share your shopping habits. The last 10 things you bought might give us a good idea.

I don't give a shit about your life, nor absolutely anyone from this forums I presume... So, yeah. Prove your point.

Big_Boss_Mantis:

GamerKT:

Bolo The Great:

Well fine then.

Then post your data here. Full name. Home address. Cell number. E-mail address. Where you work or study. The name of your closest relatives and people you care about. The names of the last 3 people you "fucked around" with, and their home addresses. And three or four places that you usually go in your spare time. And how much money you make? If you don't want to say the specific number, then share your shopping habits. The last 10 things you bought might give us a good idea.

I don't give a shit about your life, nor absolutely anyone from this forums I presume... So, yeah. Prove your point.

Okay, let me break down the fallacy of your post:

Likelihood of people at Google to fuck around with Gamer KT: Unlikely. They may be a megaconglomerate but they like wasting money on not releasing Google Glass instead of doing anything legitimately antagonistic with the personal data of one of literally BILLIONS of users.

Likelihood of US Security Agencies to fuck around with Gamer KT: Unlikely, given that US security agencies are more preoccupied with ISIL cutting someone's head off, posting the video of it on the internet and threatening to cut another innocent man's head off than people who want to talk on geek forums about fuck all that relates to dismantling international and external threats.

Likelihood of anyone with an internet connection to fuck around with Gamer KT, especially after he would post his IRL info to prove a point: Unknown.

See, the slippry slope fallacy is "well, if one person will/does/did, then EVERYONE WILL!", applied by you in that "well, if you don't give a shit about Google/US Security agencies having access to your personal info, then you don't give a shit about ANYONE having access to your personal info!" See? Slippery slope.

Strazdas:
Why would you keep your GPS on to begin with at any other time than you are using navigation? No way for google to track me if it does not know where it is.

Just out of interest i went to check the settings and.... the settings were not even available because they are done online and the phone isnt connected to internet. wonderful idea google! make local settings online.

Scars Unseen:

so you have poor functionality AND a large bill?

I'm curious as to what you would consider a small bill if twenty bucks is high rolling for you.

Big_Boss_Mantis:

GamerKT:

Bolo The Great:

Well fine then.

I'd rather not. People like you would annoy me, and people who really wanted to know could find out. Google ain't gonna do shit, though, which is my point.

Well then I guess Google gets to know that I never leave my house. The sad part is they probably know exactly what advertisements to send to people like me.

Paulhorne Schillings:

Snipped, just for pratical reasons.

Well fine then.

I don't give a shit about your life, nor absolutely anyone from this forums I presume... So, yeah. Prove your point.[/quote]
Okay, let me break down the fallacy of your post:

Likelihood of people at Google to fuck around with Gamer KT: Unlikely. They may be a megaconglomerate but they like wasting money on not releasing Google Glass instead of doing anything legitimately antagonistic with the personal data of one of literally BILLIONS of users.

Likelihood of US Security Agencies to fuck around with Gamer KT: Unlikely, given that US security agencies are more preoccupied with ISIL cutting someone's head off, posting the video of it on the internet and threatening to cut another innocent man's head off than people who want to talk on geek forums about fuck all that relates to dismantling international and external threats.

Likelihood of anyone with an internet connection to fuck around with Gamer KT, especially after he would post his IRL info to prove a point: Unknown.

See, the slippry slope fallacy is "well, if one person will/does/did, then EVERYONE WILL!", applied by you in that "well, if you don't give a shit about Google/US Security agencies having access to your personal info, then you don't give a shit about ANYONE having access to your personal info!" See? Slippery slope.[/quote]

It was not a fallacy. It was an exaggeration to disprove a point which I think is the real fallacy.

People love that argument of "hey, nobody cares about me. I have nothing to hide". See, THAT'S a fallacy.

See, protecting personal information is something that seems irrelevant. Until it is not. Only when you see the pratical effect of the information that has been gathered about you is the moment that it gets scary.
Only when it gets uncomfortable is that you think "hmmm, maybe I should have worried about it".
To give a quick example off the top of my head, there are stories about people that got rejected on job interviews because of their activities in social networks.
People nowadays are getting more and more worried about their digital footprint, and that IS something to be worried about. It will only get worse, as information becomes more intricate in our lives.

And lastly. So, Google and/or the government are less likely to abuse your gathered information than "random people from the web". Well, I guess you trust them a lot with that information.
I bet every piece data I mentioned in my "fallacy" can be easily obtained by someone with TOTAL access of your smartphone. But hey, it's safe with Google.
Except Google could be hacked. Could go bankrupt. Could be bought by other company. Could be subject to changes in its directorial board, and the new board think that they should sell this valuable personal information to the highest bidder. Could be obliged, by law, to give access to that information to governmental agencies.

You don't HAVE to be paranoid. You don't need to always think about the worst case scenario. I, personally, don't think it will ever come to that. But it is best to acknowledge that it is indeed possible. And be just a little cautious.
So, to me "I am no one, screw my personal data" is an stupid argument and the real fallacy.

Big_Boss_Mantis:
It was not a fallacy. It was an exaggeration to disprove a point which I think is the real fallacy.
People love that argument of "hey, nobody cares about me. I have nothing to hide". See, THAT'S a fallacy.

See, protecting personal information is something that seems irrelevant. Until it is not. Only when you see the pratical effect of the information that has been gathered about you is the moment that it gets scary.
Only when it gets uncomfortable is that you think "hmmm, maybe I should have worried about it".
To give a quick example off the top of my head, there are stories about people that got rejected on job interviews because of their activities in social networks.
People nowadays are getting more and more worried about their digital footprint, and that IS something to be worried about. It will only get worse, as information becomes more intricate in our lives.

His statement was said in this specific context; he's comfortable with whatever data Google or US Security agencies are able to dig on him. As far as whatever social networks he uses and whatever information he discloses within is not only off this subject, but it's entirely his business and his alone, and really, awareness of employer background checks should be common knowledge for anyone at this point: deciding not to write down an email address someone would associate with porn accounts onto a job application isn't a reflection of false transparency, it's being professional in that you separate your personal life from your professional one.

And lastly. So, Google and/or the government are less likely to abuse your gathered information than "random people from the web". Well, I guess you trust them a lot with that information.
I bet every piece data I mentioned in my "fallacy" can be easily obtained by someone with TOTAL access of your smartphone. But hey, it's safe with Google.
Except Google could be hacked.

And here we go back to my likelihood argument:
Likelihood of #46 of a Fortune 500 company that would -without a shadow of any doubt- reflects that in its security arrangements to be hacked? And honestly, who the hell would hack Google for precise location data? And legally, would a company looking to hire someone TRULY be able to reject an applicant based on data that not only would have a chance of being outdated, but gotten by illegal means? And if we're talking location data, that'd take a fuckton of time, time that would be spent tracing and apprehending the hacker. Furthermore, for someone to have such skill to hack something like Google, it'd most likely be from a foreign country's intelligence division looking for info on spies that might have been deployed to their nation, not -again- people who talk online about Game of Thrones. You wanna talk absolute possibilities here? Yeah, I'm sure it's possible by any stretch of the imagination. But if you want to speak of the probability of a common person who talks about entertainment media on the internet's personal information at Google being leaked and professionally ruining them as a result, then you'd best dismiss this argument.

Could go bankrupt.

Likelihood of Google publicly disclosing all user data in the event of bankruptcy... uh...

Could be bought by other company. Could be subject to changes in its directorial board, and the new board think that they should sell this valuable personal information to the highest bidder.

Legally, that would require a change to the user TOS, subject to all individual users' approval or rejection, including GamerKT.

Could be obliged, by law, to give access to that information to governmental agencies.

Are we... on the same page here? Even if you take away the common knowledge of "well no shit that government agencies collect this info," it's right there on the fucking terms of service, under "Information we share." You hit the "I agree" button, you either agreed to them, or deserve whatever repercussion you'd get as a result due to willful ignorance. End of story.

You don't HAVE to be paranoid. You don't need to always think about the worst case scenario. I, personally, don't think it will ever come to that. But it is best to acknowledge that it is indeed possible. And be just a little cautious.
So, to me "I am no one, screw my personal data" is an stupid argument and the real fallacy.

Whether GamerKT meant the "I don't care I'm nobody" statement applies within only the TC's subject matter or to EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE (do I need to press the "Likelihood" button again?) is up to GamerKT and GamerKT alone.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here