Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Postponed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Postponed

Resident Evil Directing

The next Resident Evil movie will be delayed due to Milla Jovovich's pregnancy.

Resident Evil moviegoers will have to wait longer for their Milla Jovovich-zombie fix. Earlier this week Jovovich posted an announcement on her official Facebook page that she's expecting a baby, which while great news means the next Resident Evil movie has to be postponed for the time being.

"So after a lot of discussion, we thought it would be in everyone's best interest to wait till the baby is born before we set out to try and tackle an RE movie," Jovovich writes, "We didn't think pregnancy and zombie killing are the best combo!"

She goes on to thank those who already are working on the film and her fans for being so patient. She can't wait to start filming once the new addition to her family arrives. Jovovich was also pregnant towards the tail end of Resident Evil: Extinction.

Director and Jovovich's husband Paul W.S. Anderson has publicly stated the next Resident Evil movie will be the last in the series, "That's what's on the title page, it's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, so absolutely." There are currently five films in the series, and the last movie Resident Evil: Retribution released in 2012 made over $240 million at the box office.

Source: GameSpot

Wasn't she pregnant during the shooting of the third film? Either way while I don't really care for this development I hope Ms. Jovovich good health.

Well, I supposed there's not much point to shooting a movie if the only reason worth seeing it is gone due to pregnancy.

Esmeralda Portillo:

Resident Evil moviegoers will have to wait longer for their Milla Jovovich-zombie fix. Earlier this week Jovovich posted an announcement on her official Facebook page that she's expecting a baby, which while great news means the next Resident Evil movie has to be postponed for the time being.

So...what's the bad news?

I kid. The movie's aren't really my thing, as even the mindless action is a little too slick for my liking, but I don't judge people for liking them. As for this being the last one...I doubt it. It'll probably be as "final" as Final Fantasy or "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter" (which was the 4th movie in the series, by the way).

Going to be totally selfish here for a moment: Nooooo! This final movie, if it's anything like what the finale for the last movie was, was going to be all-out war. It was just going to be the heroes and soldiers fighting tooth and nail against hordes of zombies. Explosions, gunfire, tanks, rockets, knives, Leon, Ada, Chris (if he's still alive), Wesker, Alice, and just zombie killing goodness.

Selfish mode done now. Congratulations to her. I hope everything goes well and she has a healthy baby soon. End credit scene maybe?

Esmeralda Portillo:
"We didn't think pregnancy and zombie killing are the best combo!"

Someone clearly hasn't been playing the newest Walking Dead game.

The Resident Evil movie series has been a mixed bag, the first being decent, the second two being a drag, the fourth sort of finding itself and the fifth finally accepting itself in being an unapologetic excuse-plot action film. If they can keep the next movie more like the campy latter-half of the film series, it'll be worth seeing.

The final chapter? How are they gonna push one more movie out of a franchise that has already partially deified it's main character?

I mean, Alice would have to literally die for the sins of the zombies, then resurrect three days later for her to become any more effective a protagonist. XD

Ah well, I hope she has a healthy pregnancy.

What I am expecting from this "final Resident Evil movie" is that its the final one until there is a new director and star for a reboot of the franchise five to six years from now. I just hope if they reboot the franchise they stick closer to the first few games (ie any before Resident Evil 5) for the movie franchise felt just as silly as the plots for Resident Evil 5 and 6.

Thank fucking god that it is over, maybe now they'll reboot RE into a decent horror franchise. All the offense given.

Right Hook:
Thank fucking god that it is over, maybe now they'll reboot RE into a decent horror franchise. All the offense given.

Eh, I'd say they're actually staying true to the games. Those haven't been a decent horror franchise for a long time either.

I guess theres always a stoned market for these films. Yes its not too early to make huge generalisations! ;)
Please....make gardens, not babies, lovely ladies. Though at least she isnt doing what the lead singstress of Nightwish did, which is to drop her career completely for child maintainence. Bah! That band lost a lot with their new singstress.
Wait, what were we on about again? Ah right. Good wishes to Milla!

Man thats a bummer its gonna be delayed, but Id rather that than risk having a pregnant lady be the lead in an action film.
Man I love the Resident Evil films, theyre part of that big dumb movie franchise thing that I love, theyre awesome for just sitting down, turning your brain off, and just looking at fun and cool shit

Chimpzy:

Right Hook:

Eh, I'd say they're actually staying true to the games. Those haven't been a decent horror franchise for a long time either.

Hmmm, "QFT". The games had more substance than flash pre-RE4/5. when watching RE3 the flim, it seemed like I was smoking
meth instead of dope. Also, the game had a lot more of Cheesy characters and VA. The film never had that it's so bad it's good vibe.

Bah, this sucks! We love the series...

not exactly flipping tables over it. Can't remember the last time anyone was all that excited for seeing Jovovich's "acting" or Anderson's "direction."

Chimpzy:

Right Hook:

Staying true to the games by being awful shit? Haha, unique perspective.

I quite enjoy the series (BLASPHEMY!) as popcorn entertainment. The same way I enjoy most Jason Statham movies. but yeah, they've been getting better, so this one... Oh wait. What other franchise (which was actually really awesome) Ended on The Final Chapter? Saw. Oh, god, it's gonna suck!

Chimpzy:

Right Hook:

Ridiculously convoluted story? Terrible acting? Really bad characters? Strange as balls motivations for everyone? Yep, seems about the same to me.

Heck, its why I enjoy the hell out of it. Its like a Michael Bay movie, but instead of shitting on source materials it understands how shit it really was and how ridiculous the source material was and just ran with it.

Oh right, forgot to mention.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo! Was lookin forward to this so much too.

Chimpzy:

Right Hook:

No, but they also didn't have an insufferable God-Mode Sue for a protagonist.

And at least the Characters in RE games each got to do cool stuff, rather than one character hog the spotlight.

Machine Man 1992:
No, but they also didn't have an insufferable God-Mode Sue for a protagonist.

Hehe, that's true too. Wonder how that happened. I like to imagine it went something like this:

Jovovich: Hey honey, can you make me more awesome in the next movie? Like super powers or something?
Anderson: Sure babe, whatever you want. Want to be psychic too?
Jovovich: Omg, that's hot. You're so getting laid tonight!

An lo, pregnancy. They must've been going at it like rabbits. One can only imagine how OP she's going to be when they apparently can't even start filming because of it.

I know these films are awful but I've had a huge crush on Milla Jovovich since the Fifth Element =)

They're actually finally ending Resident Evil? huh.. Must be planning a reboot then.

You know, for all the over-powering stuff that Alice has done throughout these movies, having her take it easy would be a welcome change. It's not like the series doesn't have a roster of characters it could use from the games to fill Alice's over the top action schtick.

All good things come to an end, and I did enjoy this whole "Resident Evil in Name Only" thing, for what it was worth. Alice won't ever top Leeloo Dallas Multipass as the best Milla Jovovich character, though.

I swear, it's like "Multipass" is a valid answer for everything in life. Absolutely everything.

Sniper Team 4:
Going to be totally selfish here for a moment: Nooooo! This final movie, if it's anything like what the finale for the last movie was, was going to be all-out war.

Don't take names like that too literally. If this makes money I'm betting it'll be about as "Final" as "Friday the 13th part IV: The Final Chapter" after which there were 7 more movies and a reboot, with a sequel to the reboot coming in 2015. They just might replace Jovovich (and consequently Anderson) because the money men think she's getting too old.

Personally I don't care for "My wife the Mary Sue Chronicles" er, the "Resident Evil" movies and wish Romero had got to make his version instead. But I don't begrudge people who enjoy them, it's simple dumb entertainment and I've enjoyed lots of even goofier stuff.

But I hope to god Paul W.S. Anderson and his ilk keep their paws off Castlevania. The last thing we need is Jovovich coming in and showing everyone how much "better" she is than all the Belmonts and Alucard combined.

I don't really care for the Resident Evil movies at all, so for me personally it's good news there won't be another for the time being.

But it's bad news for the studio, the investors, the cast of actors and stunt extras, to say nothing of the crew... they're all losing out, and heads would be rolling were it not for the fact that the pregnant party is banging the director, the one job in the western world that can still be a dictatorship. So everybody goes 'yeah, no, that's fine, the two of you keep right on having sex and spitting out babies in the middle of film shoots that you signed contracts for, this isn't highly unprofessional or anything'.

TL;DR If you're going to have a baby then take some time off work like a normal person.

I'm going to be that scummy man.

I wonder if pregnancy will make Milla's tiny boobs any bigger.

I'm sure most people are thinking "this guys obviously never seen/held a pair of tits" but come on! look at any of the scenes where umbrella has her floating in a tank (or google her), she's built like a washing board.

I wouldn't even have thought to bring this up were it not for the fact, that the series seems insistent in showing her basically naked, usually at least twice every film. If we are going to have an actor naked then lets have someone with a body worth looking at. I'm not hating on her as an actress I think she's pretty great, but I just wish they'd stop showing her naked all the time. Hell I'd rather see Chris Redfield or Leon's actors naked. They probably have bigger chests too.

Oh man, I was kinda excited at the prospect of having a pregnant woman kung-fuing motorcycle-riding, Ak-47-carrying zombies' heads off.
Oh well, I just hope that after this one, they start a spin-off series with Wesker as the protagonist, called President Evil.

First though: oh yeah, they are making a "final" film huh? I'd honestly forgotten.

Second though: Take alllllll the time you need, Mila. In fact take a year or two off, we won't mind. Trust me.

Third thought: The only way to properly end this series is with a double barrel shotgun behind the shed.

Heh...the first film was flawed, the second was garbage, and starting at the third one they became enjoyably watchable. That was the point they went off the rails from the source material and just became these strange film pastiches to things like The Road Warrior or Assault on Precinct 13. They're terrible movies, but they know they're terrible and run with it. Unlike, say, most Asylum productions, which are garbage start to finish and don't care.

OT: Sucks that the last film will be delayed so badly, but it is what it is. I can understand the decision to hold off.

There is no final chapter only the lulling of a franchise that is dying. Well a movie franchise shall we say.

Seriously sure take the break. Go ahead we will see you then a year later with your content. Ugh.

I try to positive here but wow it is just wrung out. This movie franchise has to offer, specials effects and that is about it. So no I don't see this "final chapter" [that is not a final chapter obviously] doing half decent somewhere as a summer movie.

Oh yeah, this is going to be the final chapter in the Resident Evil movie saga, just like how 'The Final Destination' was the last Final Destination movie. ;)

Right Hook:

The games were never a decent horror franchise by any definition of the word... I find both the games and the movies to be identically stupid. Hence, a pretty good work of adaptation.

Johnny Novgorod:

Right Hook:

The games were never a decent horror franchise by any definition of the word... I find both the games and the movies to be identically stupid. Hence, a pretty good work of adaptation.

The early ones were, at least as far as it goes for my friends and I. We were like nine at the time so that may have had something to do with it too.

Right Hook:

Johnny Novgorod:

Right Hook:

The early ones were, at least as far as it goes for my friends and I. We were like nine at the time so that may have had something to do with it too.

Any horror I might have felt with the original Playstation version was done in by the laughable voice acting. I don't mean "laughable" merely in the "I can't believe they got paid for that" sense, either. I mean that in the literally "I am laughing every time they speak" sense.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here