Weekend Box-Office: Marvel's Guardians Take Back Top Spot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Weekend Box-Office: Marvel's Guardians Take Back Top Spot

star lord gesture

Sin City sequel bombs as Marvel space heroes rocket toward "Year's Biggest" title

A pair of surprises at the weekend box-office have put Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy back at the #1 spot, pulling ahead of its close rival of the past two weeks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The sci-fi action/comedy, at one point thought to be a risky venture by industry-watchers, is set to end the weekend having earned over $246 million; zooming past Transformers: Age of Extinction's $243 million to become the biggest hit of Summer 2014.

The expectation of most analysts was that the weekend would be handily won by teen weepie If I Stay, given the big turnout for the similar The Fault in Our Stars earlier in the year. But after a decent though unspectacular Friday in the top spot the film dipped lower than expected on Saturday. Also, while no one was expecting Robert Rodriguez's Sin City sequel to be a breakout hit almost a decade after the original, its meager sixth place debut will likely mark it as one of the year's more notable flops.

With almost no major-market challengers on the horizon (possible exceptions being the family-friendly sequel Dolphin Tale 2 and the Denzel Washington actioner The Equalizer) as Hollywood's schedule enters the early Fall slowdown, it's possible that Guardians could remain box-office champ for another several weeks. If so, it's widely expected to exceed the (current) year's-best totals of both The Lego Movie and Captain America: The Winter Soldier to become the biggest hit of 2014.

Source: Deadline

Good show, bravo!

Take that Micheal Bay!

*blissfully ignores the fact that the two Bay movies were hard to overcome in box figures*

<.<

Faith in Humanity Restored.

Good films are popular? Madness.

As an aside Guardians is massively helped by how goddamn personable its leading man is. Visits sick kids in full costume? Check. Spends a good bit of time actually talking to them, including about a previous film with a fan of that film? Check. Arranges a special screening of Guardians for the kids? Check.

Damn son.

I can only say two things:

Oooooga Chacka!

Great I guess?, it's not like I didn't enjoy this years TF compared to the last 3, I actually thought AOE was better than the last 3 because of Lockdown, bringing Frank Welker into the movie series and having him play Galvatron instead of nemoy who played Sentinel.

Man despite the turd-brick that was "Ninja Turtles" this has been a pretty good year. Winter Soldier, Lego Movie, Guardians, Snowpericer was awesome (fuck you Weinstein, you masterpiece torpedoing prick) and Wes Anderson doing something i actually like again. Honestly i liked "The Lego Movie" better but it was some kind of liquid joy and sincerity injected directly into our veins.

It's also nice to see MovieBob interacting with his user-base online that doesn't take the form of grandstanding and insults.

Well, glad to see that it's put the new TMNT movie back where it belong.
This calls for something special!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GncYQHBJIw

I'm glad it's doing so well, I haven't enjoyed a movie this much since the Lego Movie.

Also, that thumbnail is kinda spoilery as fuck.

I can't even imagine the party Marvel must be having at this point.

'THEY LIKED THE SPACE RACCOON! WE OWN ALL THIS SHIT!!!'

It's a good movie that has wide appeal to both fans and non-fans alike. Heck even if this was the first marvel movie you watched it's accessible. The dialog is good, the writing is good the action is good the acting is good... you can't really go wrong with it.

..to become the biggest hit of 2014.

Uhm Bob, forgetting a certain fantasy movie coming out later this year?

Also, let's not forget that Transformers has done over $800M internationally :)

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable circumstance that anything so mindbogglingly good to watch could have actually done well at the box office that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the success of Guardians of the Galaxy is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have done well by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Well, duh!

First of all, to all you people squealing about the downfall of western civilization when TMNT overtook Guardians on its opening week - of course it did. Guardians was in its second week, TMNT was fresh. If you were to compare Guardians opening week (90 mil) and TMNT opening week (60 mil), you get a much clearer picture. Also, TMNT dropped off dramatically, while Guardians are rolling steadily along for several weeks now, as the word keeps spreading about what a great movie it is, and people are even going for second viewings, while all that's spreading about TMNT is its own stench.

As for why Guardians are so successful, that's also easy - it's good, it's fun, and it's pretty. Rarely is a movie all three of these, with most summer blockbusters being fun and pretty, but not very good. Add to this that its setting and genre isn't exactly overflowing at the moment (not many space opera type films flying around, is there?), it's a breath of fresh air. Funny enough, when I try to recall the last movie that had all three of these, I land on another Marvel movie, Winter Soldier, which also did VERY well at the box office. Funny how that works out, isn't it? Almost like people want something worth seeing before they'll go to a theatre...

Vie:

The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the success of Guardians of the Galaxy is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have done well by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy quotes, gotta love em

Ot: Glad to see it beating back the competition, even if tmnt has already got a sequel it doesn't deserve.

Jandau:
Well, duh!

First of all, to all you people squealing about the downfall of western civilization when TMNT overtook Guardians on its opening week - of course it did. Guardians was in its second week, TMNT was fresh. If you were to compare Guardians opening week (90 mil) and TMNT opening week (60 mil), you get a much clearer picture. Also, TMNT dropped off dramatically, while Guardians are rolling steadily along for several weeks now, as the word keeps spreading about what a great movie it is, and people are even going for second viewings, while all that's spreading about TMNT is its own stench.

As for why Guardians are so successful, that's also easy - it's good, it's fun, and it's pretty. Rarely is a movie all three of these, with most summer blockbusters being fun and pretty, but not very good. Add to this that its setting and genre isn't exactly overflowing at the moment (not many space opera type films flying around, is there?), it's a breath of fresh air. Funny enough, when I try to recall the last movie that had all three of these, I land on another Marvel movie, Winter Soldier, which also did VERY well at the box office. Funny how that works out, isn't it? Almost like people want something worth seeing before they'll go to a theatre...

You speak of madness, my friend. Madness, I tell you! You're applying logic to this and that just won't fly around here.

Honestly, I agree. Marvel has made several solid movies at this point, which probably helps, too. People see the Marvel name attached to a movie and can have confidence that not only can they take their kids to see it, but they will enjoy it, as well. I can't think of a single Marvel movie that was truly bad. Not as good as it could have been perhaps, but not outright bad.

Plus, as you said, it's a Space Opera type of movie and those have been somewhat lacking. Frankly, I left the movie feeling like I saw a Star Wars film, and that even gave me some confidence for the Star Wars movies that will be coming out.

Daystar Clarion:

How? Its from the first trailer, for its different in the movie itself.

This makes me immensely pleased, Guardians is my favorite movie in recent years.

Sanunes:

Daystar Clarion:

I assume he's referring to the thumbnail picture on the actual Escapist homepage, which is in fact the final scene of the film and is somewhat unexpected.

This is great news. Guardians was an excellent movie. Easily will be my favorite movie of the year. Cannot wait for the next. Cannot wait for a Howard the Duck reboot either! That's going to be one wacky fun ride IF the idea is picked up and ran with.

Edguy:

Transformers AoE has done over $1 billion internationally.

And as usual if a film he likes does shit in the US but good internationally then only internationally matters but if the reverse is true only US matters.

Jandau:
Well, duh!

Actually TMNT 2nd week drop was lower than GotG's 2nd week drop at least in the USA also budget and marketing wise TMNT is already profitable GotG not so much but maybe in a few more weeks.

Sanunes:

Daystar Clarion:

I think he means the one on the main page, of mini-Groot. I wouldn't exactly call it spoilery "as fuck" (not like it's a major plot element), but it is a little bit spoilery.

youji itami:

Edguy:

And as usual if a film he likes does shit in the US but good internationally then only internationally matters but if the reverse is true only US matters.

I meant over 800M outside of America :]

youji itami:

Jandau:
Well, duh!

Actually TMNT 2nd week drop was lower than GotG's 2nd week drop at least in the USA also budget and marketing wise TMNT is already profitable GotG not so much but maybe in a few more weeks.

Yeah, not really surprised that the 2nd week drop was lower for TMNT, since it opened about 50% lower - less room to drop. Also, Guardians is again ahead of TMNT, despite TMNT being fresher. And I have no idea where you get the Guardians not being profitable, while TMNT supposedly being superprofitable.

And none of that was the point - I was mainly decrying last week's article and responses to it where people were heralding the downfall of civilization without taking numbers in context...

YEAH! Great news for Guardians and nice for TMNT that it's not on top!
"Also, while no one was expecting Robert Rodriguez's Sin City sequel to be a breakout hit almost a decade after the original, its meager sixth place debut will likely mark it as one of the year's more notable flops."

Guess the audience agrees with me that part 1 was crap?

The thing with YA adaptations like TFIOS is that they are only successful because of their large fanbases which turn out to see them. This is why their box office falls off sharply in the second week and why their success is not in any way related to their quality: Twilight, Hunger Games and TFIOS succeeded while Beautiful Creatures, The Host and Mortal Instruments didn't.

webkilla:
I can only say two things:

Oooooga Chacka!

I AM GROOT.

OT: Mess with MY childhood, will ya, Bay? Take that! Faux turtles beaten by dancin' Pratt!

Edguy:

youji itami:

Edguy:

I meant over 800M outside of America :]

It's still a pretty big accomplishment to come at a close second with a fairly obscure license going up against a widely known one.

I don't go to many movies in cinema, and usually when I do, the audience is quiet. It was the first time for me that there was genuine laughter and "Whoohoo" shouting for a movie, but then again, Guardians of the Galaxy is stupidly fun. Might go for another watching soon. TMNT? Not so much, no urge to go and see that.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Sanunes:

Daystar Clarion:

I think he means the one on the main page, of mini-Groot. I wouldn't exactly call it spoilery "as fuck" (not like it's a major plot element), but it is a little bit spoilery.

Fair enough, that picture didn't load for me, so I did the worst thing possible and made a guess that it was the same as the article's image.

PuckFuppet:
Good films are popular? Madness.

As an aside Guardians is massively helped by how goddamn personable its leading man is. Visits sick kids in full costume? Check. Spends a good bit of time actually talking to them, including about a previous film with a fan of that film? Check. Arranges a special screening of Guardians for the kids? Check.

Damn son.

Don't forget him doing the ASL ice bucket challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iCIg2oCCs

The guy has rocketed to public adoration, and it's very well deserved.

I remember the interview he gave months before the film came out about how he wanted to use any fame as a "superhero" to make kids happy and visit sick kids in hospitals and be a good role model.

Seriously, Anna Faris... you lucky, LUCKY woman. Hold onto him. He's definitely a keeper.

Been to see it twice now and if anything it was better on the second viewing. My favourite film in a long time. Initially I waa put off with no Nova but I can see why and where he could easily come into it.

PunkRex:
I can't even imagine the party Marvel must be having at this point.

'THEY LIKED THE SPACE RACCOON! WE OWN ALL THIS SHIT!!!'

Thus explaining why they registered any and all web domains surrounding "Squirrel Girl" a few weeks ago.

So that is justice in the world (now if only that apply to the Missouri situation)!

Also heh, that censor image was not in the film.

faefrost:

Thus explaining why they registered any and all web domains surrounding "Squirrel Girl" a few weeks ago.

Is that what they did? Well that's an interesting take on Doreen.
>_>

Regarding GotG, also note that is has also beaten out Days of Future Past... out-grossing its entire run in only three weeks.

I always believed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or