PSN, XBL Down After DDoS Attacks, Battle.net Also Under Attack - Update

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

PSN, XBL Down After DDoS Attacks, Battle.net Also Under Attack - Update

Along with massive DDoS attacks, Sony Online Entertainment President's airplane received a bomb threat.

Update: Microsoft is confirming what many on social media are reporting: Xbox Live is currently "limited," although the company is not using the word "down." Lizard Squad is hinting that it's behind the outage.

Original Story: Having trouble logging into PSN this weekend? Sony's PlayStation Network servers are down after widespread DDoS attacks took them offline.

A group called Lizard Squad is taking responsibility for the attacks, which have also affected servers for Blizzard's Battle.net, League of Legends, and Path of Exile.

Sony has acknowledged the issues on both its PlayStation, and Ask PlayStation Twitter accounts. Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley has also commented on the outage.

If the outage wasn't bad enough, a bomb threat was called in on Smedley's American Airlines flight to San Diego. The plane was diverted to Phoenix after the threat.

There is a small silver lining in all of this mess: According to the official PlayStation Blog, no personal information has been stolen in this latest attack.

Like other major networks around the world, the PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network have been impacted by an attempt to overwhelm our network with artificially high traffic.

Although this has impacted your ability to access our network and enjoy our services, no personal information has been accessed.

We will continue to work towards fixing this issue and hope to have our services up and running as soon as possible.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused

The attacks come shortly before Sony's announced PSN maintenance window, which was scheduled to begin tomorrow, Monday, shortly before 1pm EDT.

Source: Shacknews

Oh goody a Giant Pile of Pointlessness, just what everyone needs to deal with on a weekend.

...what?

It fine if you want to rub off a hateboner against Sony and/or SOE, but going to the trouble of denying hundreds of thousands of players thier multiplayer services and causing a bomb scare on an airliner is going a bit far, dont you think?

Still i guess this explains why the Planetside 2 servers have been worse than usual.

In this day and age, it seems you don't just take your ball and go home: you take the balls of everyone else in the neighbourhood.

kajinking:
Oh goody a Giant Pile of Pointlessness, just what everyone needs to deal with on a weekend.

DDoS attacks are almost always pointless, but this seems even more asinine than usual. None of these things are connected, and the bomb threat means that not only have they committed an actual felony, but it's permanently documented. I don't understand...

Looking into Lizard squad, they're either a bunch of Islamic extremists who hate America, or a bunch of trolls who hate everybody. If it's the latter, I believe they deserve some head trauma, fatal if necessary.

did the pathetic little pissants give any actual reason for this or are they just bored?

>.> bomb threat against an airliner ... bad move doods ... Government agency's don't think that shits funny. Enjoy trying to dodge the feds.

This is the kind of behavior that merits rehabilitation at a correctional facility better known to the wider audience as prison or can, pen, joint or even slam. There's more, so take your pick.

Find them, Feds. Find them and show them that bomb threats against airlines aren't some sort of joke or making a stupid point about something.

Did...did they say why they're doing this in the first place? No? Just more losers in the world then.

-Ezio-:
did the pathetic little pissants give any actual reason for this or are they just bored?

Probably doing it for the 'lulz' but claim it was for 'security testing which the company failed'. Remember Lulsec? That shit was hilarious. Everyone thought they were a huge group of adults. They were about five or six of them, the oldest in his very early twenties, and all of them 'claimed' they had Autism and shouldn't be charged with fucking over PSN for a month.

Ohh.
Well, I picked a bad time to borrow my grandfather's PS3.

I wonder why they are doing this.

Reaper195:
Probably doing it for the 'lulz' but claim it was for 'security testing which the company failed'.

Based on the image of the tweet above I doubt they'd claim it's security testing. Especially when a DDoS attack has absolutely nothing to do with security and everything to do with just brute force overwhelming servers with more requests than they can handle.

Anyway, hopefully they at the very least find the people who called in a bomb threat. I'm all for a bit of civil disobedience for the right cause, but they clearly don't have one, and the bomb threat crosses the line.

If the outage wasn't bad enough, a bomb threat was called in on Smedley's American Airlines flight to San Diego.

There is a small silver lining in all of this mess: According to the official PlayStation Blog, no personal information has been stolen in this latest attack.

Not to give these lizard asshats any extra credit but there was some personal information stolen ... how else would they have know which flight to call the threat on? It may have not been customer info but personal info which should not be in the open none the less.

Stick it to the man! ...by...knocking a bunch of their customers offline?

I'm really not sure what they hope to accomplish here. Unless it's being assholes.

Vivi22:

Reaper195:
Probably doing it for the 'lulz' but claim it was for 'security testing which the company failed'.

Based on the image of the tweet above I doubt they'd claim it's security testing. Especially when a DDoS attack has absolutely nothing to do with security and everything to do with just brute force overwhelming servers with more requests than they can handle.

Anyway, hopefully they at the very least find the people who called in a bomb threat. I'm all for a bit of civil disobedience for the right cause, but they clearly don't have one, and the bomb threat crosses the line.

But wasn't the last attack on PSN also a DDoS attack?

-Ezio-:

Well my first guess is that its someone who got banned from SOE MMOs, assuming they had a halfway decent excuse to begin with.

I don't quite know why but for some reason my PlayStation 4 took several minutes to start and wouldn't connect to the PlayStation network when it did finally start (I know why it didn't connect but not why it took so long); but my PlayStation 3 connected in a few seconds and is working fine. I can even get to the PSN store on my PS3.

OT: Screw these guys. It's bad enough when people DDoS corporate websites (people still need to use them). DDoS'ing a service is just stupid. I don't even understand what their trying to accomplish. It's not like there is anything to gain from pissing off legions of gamers, just a lot of hate mail.

Reaper195:

Vivi22:

Reaper195:

But wasn't the last attack on PSN also a DDoS attack?

Nope. Last time the servers were actually hacked into and the hackers made off with all kinds of personal data, which is why they basically shut the whole thing down for more than a month to figure out what happened and rebuild their security.

Last time was like a team of bank robbers getting into the vault and making off with millions before anyone even knows they were there. This is more like someone driving a car through the window and smashing into the vault door. You might keep people from opening it for a while, but you didn't really cause any damage to it or manage to steal anything.

zalithar:
I don't quite know why but for some reason my PlayStation 4 took several minutes to start and wouldn't connect to the PlayStation network when it did finally start (I know why it didn't connect but not why it took so long); but my PlayStation 3 connected in a few seconds and is working fine. I can even get to the PSN store on my PS3.

OT: Screw these guys. It's bad enough when people DDoS corporate websites (people still need to use them). DDoS'ing a service is just stupid. I don't even understand what their trying to accomplish. It's not like there is anything to gain from pissing off legions of gamers, just a lot of hate mail.

There is one thing they can gain from this, prison time. DDOS attacks will get the police after you and if they called the bomb scare you can add federal police onto it.

Daaaah Whoosh:
Looking into Lizard squad, they're either a bunch of Islamic extremists who hate America, or a bunch of trolls who hate everybody. If it's the latter, I believe they deserve some head trauma, fatal if necessary.

And it appears from my research into stuff that they've also attacked xbox live.

Annoying. Not much else to say right now about it, but it is extremely annoying.

you see this right here is why the NSA Spies on internet communications. Calling in a false bomb threat is serious, serious shit.

and taking down virtually every online game service, i swear to god it's like whoever is doing this hates the idea of fun, next thing you know Hulu And Netflix go down, and then...anarchy.

Jaeger_CDN:

If the outage wasn't bad enough, a bomb threat was called in on Smedley's American Airlines flight to San Diego.

Not to give these lizard asshats any extra credit but there was some personal information stolen ... how else would they have know which flight to call the threat on? It may have not been customer info but personal info which should not be in the open none the less.

Because Smedley said that he was going to board a flight that day, and some simple digging will reveal which flight that is and where he's off to.

I *believe* he was going from Dallas to SOE's HQ in San Diego.

You don't breach personal info with a DDoS. You could reveal some vulnerabilities, but that is not the intent of these cyber-criminals.

okay, DDOS attacks are illegal and inconvenient...calling in BOMB THREATS is a literal act of terrorism. That is NOT something the government takes lightly. Things are not going to end well for those guys at this rate

putting down a land mine and then stepping on it isn't what people would call smart dead lizard

By the looks of the twitter account linked, it looks like the work of somebody/bodies taking inspiration from Anonymous, thinking that they're gods on the Internet. Instead of inspiration, they should be taking warning, since Anonymous all started betraying each other to dodge jail when one of them went too far and gkt themselves caught.

Oh so THIS was the bomb threat "you know who" was blaming "you know what kickstarter backers" for. Something tells me these guys are going to be imprisoned real soon.

This Lizard Squad claims they're the ones that took down EvE Online (and CCP's stuff in general) along with NCSoft and a couple other online services to game companies last week. Originally they were claiming to point out "security flaws" in those servers since the companies involved were "taking all the players' money and not upgrading defense software or server hardware." That they were representing the "little people", i.e. the gamers.

Yeah. represent the little gamers against the evil monolithic game companies by not letting them play while paying.

Now?

Bomb threats on a plane and stating garbage propaganda about ISIS/ISIL?

They're either brats wanting to be Someone Big, or there's even more problems in the Middle East than originally admitted to.

Probably a combo of both.

-Ezio-:

To show how they are 1337 h4xx0rs who should not be trifled with and that they will rain down mighty vengeance on all who have wronged them. After they finish their homework and do their chores for mummy, naturally. I heard they were going to take down the FBI mainframe's encrypted modem with a backdoor trojan but it was past their bed time.

These people should be put in jail for life-time.

Well this is pointless, stupid, uncalled for, and generally just annoying.
I wonder if these new new stupid hacker jerks are going to pretend to operate on some flimsy "voice of the people" ideology like Anonymous, or just be blunt about fucking shit up for the sake of fucking shit up like Lulzsec.

Anyway this sucks, I was gonna download P.T. today...

They are also targeting the ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) Association .

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/748047-psn-battle-net-ea-origin-targets-major-ddos-attack

And I fucking quote

Lizard Squad:
alsa.org #offline, I'd rather they just gave up and stopped wasting money on people who are gonna die anyways. RIP economy.

Eat shit and get arrested.

Also, is anyone else Origin accounts showing all the game boxes that you have selected as hidden?

Having trouble with YouTube... I'm blaming them. And for why I can't watch some Escapist videos...

So. Do they want to be lame or inspire rage?
I dont even see a reason to waste bile on them, ALSA is a success regardless, if anything they will bring more attention to the cause, and Sony and MS gamers can wait, is not the end of the world, im gonna go play Fistful of Frags i bet they wont DDOS that game XD.
I hope they pay for their terrorist treat, they epicfailed on that.

kiri2tsubasa:
They are also targeting the ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) Association .

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/748047-psn-battle-net-ea-origin-targets-major-ddos-attack

And I fucking quote

Lizard Squad:
alsa.org #offline, I'd rather they just gave up and stopped wasting money on people who are gonna die anyways. RIP economy.

Eat shit and get arrested.

Also, is anyone else Origin accounts showing all the game boxes that you have selected as hidden?

It is rare i genuinely wanted someone to die horrible death. This is one of those moments

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here