No More Google? Amazon in Talks to Buy Twitch for $1 Billion - Update

No More Google? Amazon in Talks to Buy Twitch for $1 Billion - Update

Amazon Official Logo

Update: Confirmed via a press release from Twitch, Amazon will acquire all outstanding shares of Twitch Interactive for approximately $970 million in cash. The acquisition is expected to close in the second half of 2014.

Do the late stage talks with Amazon mean Twitch is done with Google's courtship?

According to The Information, Amazon is very close to completing a deal that would have the eCommerce giant acquire Twitch for roughly $1 billion.

The deal, which is in "late-stage" talks, seems to be farther along than the Google-Twitch acquisition deal we reported on earlier this year.

Back in May, Variety reported that Google had signed a deal to buy Twitch for $1 billion. The service then would have worked closely with Google's existing YouTube video service -- one handling streaming, the other handling pre-recorded content.

Later, The Wall Street Journal reported that the two companies were in early talks about an acquisition, but nothing had been finalized.

Then, in late July, VentureBeat reported that Google's purchase of Twitch was finalized, sending a wave of excitement, panic, and uncertainty throughout the streaming community.

But with Twitch now reportedly in deep discussions with Amazon, it appears the Google deal was never signed, and it could mean Twitch's courtship with Google/YouTube has concluded.

No comments from Twitch, Google, or Amazon are currently available. We will be sure to update if anything is confirmed or denied.

Source: The Information | WSJ

I'd like to report that I am also buying Twitch, since it seems to be the new thing to do.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ for my newest acquisition.

"No More Google?" I find this opener horribly misleading.

The article has nothing to do with the Google continuing to exist or not. It has everything to do with Amazon buying Twitch instead of Google.

So please change the title.

OT: I really don't know how to feel about this. I actually think Amazon getting their paws on Twitch is better. Google- if they put in actual effort can do a good job making Youtube into a streaming service. They are just being lazy.

Then again...I don't know how Amazon will handle this. They are a shipping retail after all. Not a video/web based company. I don't want product ads shoved in my face.

EDIT: fixed my wording.

I'm not going to lie, if this goes through and they try to integrate Prime into the system I'm going to upset.

Not to mention the kind of damage it does to the company's soul after being bought by a bigger company... No amount of money ever fixes that. The cash is lucrative but the consequences are simply impossible to repair. Just reject the $1 billion offer, and any future offers because it's obvious that Twitch can stand on its own at this point - You're lying to yourself if you think Amazon's going to make it better.

Andy Shandy:
I'd like to report that I am also buying Twitch, since it seems to be the new thing to do.

Sir, I have a question. What is your stance on Kappa? ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Please have Amazon be the new Twitch overlords.

As much as I actually do like the things Google is working on in terms of Google Glass and their self-driving car, their "internet side" of the company is excessively tyrannical and too eager to shut down content creators. While Amazon is still a massive company and is just as likely to cause problems as Google has, it's not yet had a chance to prove this, so I'd say it's the lesser of two evils at this point.

with that type of money i could retire and buy all the tears from the twitch users

matrix3509:

Andy Shandy:

Sir, I have a question. What is your stance on Kappa? ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Ah, a good question there, and one I have a short statement prepared for.

KAPPA OR RIOT

Dragonbums:
"No More Google?" I find this opener horribly misleading.

The article has nothing to do with the Google continuing to exist or not.

Reports of Google buying Twitch, even going as far as to say a deal was signed, go back into May 2014. So "no more Google?" is definitely warranted, seeing as they've been the major player in this story for the last three months. :)

-Devin Connors
Tech Editor, Headline Ruiner

Not sure how I feel about this. Are there no companies that pay tax that could buy them?

Starting off with "No more Google?" makes for a really misleading headline, even by Escapist news standards.

Seriously, why keep doing this sort of thing? You get people to click on your link, sure, but then they see what you are doing straight away. It's obviously not good for your credibility.

I'd like to hope they would have a hands off approach to ownership but that's not the slave-driving, soulless machine that I remember.

ClockworkPenguin:
Not sure how I feel about this. Are there no companies that pay tax that could buy them?

There are companies that pay tax?

So we can expect that Twitch will disappear and become some unrecognisable blob in the Amazon machinery. Probably with a subscription fee.

Well, if I had to pick one I guess I'd rather see Twitch in Amazon's hands than in Google's.

Captcha:
attila the hun

Seems like Captcha feels the same way.

Great, so they loaded Twitch down with that idiotic Content ID system for NOTHING.

thehorror2:
Great, so they loaded Twitch down with that idiotic Content ID system for NOTHING.

Came in here to say that. It's very annoying that after Twitch Youtubeized itself it isn't going to go to the people behind Youtube.

So is Twitch Turbo going to be added to Amazon Prime?

I'm kinda hoping Twitch gets bought out by some kind of mega-corporation. Anyone one of them, at this point, would have the resources to beef up the infrastructure enough to get rid of the horrendous 2-minute lag.

I honestly think that the only thing, the only thing, preventing a mass migration to Hitbox is brand familiarity.

Otherwise, Twitch would have died earlier this year.

It looks like Amazon is trying to muscle thier way into media distribution very hard lately. and you know, as much as we get cynical about it here, i cant say i was wronged by Amazon so far.

Strazdas:
It looks like Amazon is trying to muscle thier way into media distribution very hard lately. and you know, as much as we get cynical about it here, i cant say i was wronged by Amazon so far.

I would just be happy to see more competition and that's what I am hoping amazon is doing. They have the money and clout to do it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here