Jawbone Data Shows How Recent California Earthquake Affected Sleep

Jawbone Data Shows How Recent California Earthquake Affected Sleep

Jawbone California Earthquake Data 310x

Anyone wearing a Jawbone Up wristband while sleeping helped contribute to the data collection.

The earthquake that hit Northern California on Sunday was the strongest the region has seen in several decades. No deaths have been reported, and some of the damage (which could hit ten figures) amounts of copious amounts of spilled wine, but a 6.0 quake is sure to wake up plenty of sleeping Californians.

Jawbone agrees, and has released sleep data that says much. The company is known for its mobile Bluetooth headsets and portable speakers, as well as the Up fitness band, which tracks sleeping patterns, among other things.

Based on the data collected from Up wearers (the number of which was not released), roughly 93 percent of all Up wearers in Napa, Sonoma, Vallejo, and Fairfield were awake at 3:20am, when the quake first started. Further away in San Francisco, Oakland, and Santa Rosa, 55 percent of Up wearers woke up shaking and quaking. By contrast, residents of Modesto and Santa Cruz were barely impacted by the quake.

Check out the data visualization put together by Jawbone here.

Source: Jawbone Blog

What's amazing to me is within 10 minutes of the event, almost 20% of those closest were already back asleep, after a 6.1 earthquake. I live in Sonoma county, about 10 miles from the epicenter. And I can tell you, me and my whole family were up for a good couple of hours after the adrenaline shot we got from that one. In fact, I don't think the kids went back to sleep at all for the rest of the night. I don't know how you go right back to sleep after that.

(And yes, I'm a native Californian, and somewhat used to earthquakes. There was nothing routine about that one).

I will attest to that. I was at work when it hit, and we had a lot more people shopping earlier than normal. Could feel the shaking for about 30 seconds after it hit. I live in Santa Rosa, about 25 miles from the epicenter. Not a good day to work on a wine aisle.

EVERYONE SING ALONG

He sees you when you're sleeping,
He knows when you're awake,
You've become a stark statistic,
To track a large earthquake.

OH You been woken up,
By tectonic plates,
It spilled all your wine,
And trebled your rates,
California's rocking tonight.

and now i learn that sleep-tracking is a thing. Uh, why would i want one of those?

RonHiler:
What's amazing to me is within 10 minutes of the event, almost 20% of those closest were already back asleep, after a 6.1 earthquake. I live in Sonoma county, about 10 miles from the epicenter. And I can tell you, me and my whole family were up for a good couple of hours after the adrenaline shot we got from that one. In fact, I don't think the kids went back to sleep at all for the rest of the night. I don't know how you go right back to sleep after that.

(And yes, I'm a native Californian, and somewhat used to earthquakes. There was nothing routine about that one).

Well, we dont have big earthquakes here. but if i were to get an earthquake, and it woke me up, i would look around, see no damage is done and go back to sleep. no point in being late to work next morning.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here