Nintendo Reveals Tekken-Styled Fighting Game Pokken Tournament

Nintendo Reveals Tekken-Styled Fighting Game Pokken Tournament

Pokken Tournament is an arcade Pokemon fighting game that doesn't appear to be leaving Japan.

Today's livestreamed Pokemon announcement revealed the now official fighting game, Pokken Tournament. The game is a collaboration between Nintendo and Tekken publisher Bandai Namco.

One week ago, Nintendo teased some "shocking" news for the Pokemon series. Pokken Tournament was first teased a year ago at the Pokemon Game Show. In today's announcement, Pokemon Company CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara met with Tekken chief producer Katsuhiro Harada and Soul Calibur producer Masaaki Hoshino.

Pokken Tournament will be an arcade game in Japan set to release in 2015. However, arcade games in Japan rarely come to North America and Europe despite filed trademarks. Unless this game also comes to the Wii U in Japan, which some speculate it might, Pokemon fans outside of Japan will have to hold their breath.

The trailer shows Lucario, the fighting Pokemon also shown in the initial teaser a year ago, fighting Machamp. The two fighters move more like Tekken characters than Pokemon, but this is a game that looks more suited to fighting type Pokemon. Blaziken, a fire and fighting type Pokemon, is the third confirmed fighter in Pokken Tournament.

The next Pokemon game fans will see and play will be Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. There's also still the matter of a certain detective Pikachu game Nintendo spoke of last year.

Source: NicoNico, YouTube

Seeing as there's EU and NA versions of the trailer I'm willing to bet it'll be an Japan arcade first then Worldwide console release like Persona 4 Arena 2. This would rake in tok many sales for Nintendo to ignore it like those Mario Kart arcade games.

I love me some Tekken and do like Pokemon. So yeah, this stuff looks pretty hype to me. Machamp is already is amazing character to be in it, so I love seeing the rest of the roster.

Will this convince me to buy a Wiiu? No, but it is a damn good argument.

I'm quite disappointed it's not getting out of Japan anytime soon but I'm pretty hopeful that it will a some point.
It'd just be bad business not to put it onto the Wii U unless there are some kind of contractual problems for exclusives on Tekken's end.

Anyway, prediction time!
Hariyama as a E Honda esque character.
I know he's from the wrong game but a similar Sumo style.

Yeah, I'd expect to see this on console at some point. Bamco just always make the arcade version first.

Anyways, I'll totes be maining Hawlucha if it's a character.

Shinsei-J:
I'm quite disappointed it's not getting out of Japan anytime soon but I'm
Anyway, prediction time!
Hariyama as a E Honda esque character.
I know he's from the wrong game but a similar Sumo style.

So what you're looking for is Snorlax then?

This seems rather interesting given that it's been hinted that fighting-type pokemon have been trained and used in bouts specific to them since the first game with the dojo in Saffron, and was doubly confirmed in a story arc for the anime.

Right, down, down-right:

Magikarp used splash!

I'm sold. Edit: ad yes, I know the article says it's not leaving Japan. What I'm saying is "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

hitmonlee, hitmonchan and hitmontop can basically be reskins of existing tekken characters!

hint: do it. do it now.

Well that's kind of boring, but it's good to see Nintendo let other developers play with their toys. It's always interesting to see what new things other people bring to the table in established settings.

I'm surprised Capcom never jumped on this. Oh well, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

it'll definitely come to the Wii U; arcades are dead in America and they'd be foolish to not port it to consoles in order to bolster the Wii U's library as well as give a new spin-off the establish. I really wanna see how they implement all the various Pokemon attacks into a fighting game and which Pokemon will be featured (my guess is the more humanoid/bipedal ones like Blaziken, Chesnaught, Mewtwo, etc). Definitely keeping an eye on this.

So is it going to be only fighting type Pokemon in the game? Also man I would hate to see the dlc for that game! Annoucing the dlc to played as Mienshao and Pancham!

First a Zelda/Dynasty Warriors mashup, and now a Pokémon/Tekken mashup? I like this trend, Nintendo.

Will we get another Metroid FPS?

A console port seems inevitable, so I think this will definitely get localized. Whether the release would be international as it is with the core games is another thing entirely.

Who would have thought we'd get a Pokemon Fighting game before we get a Pokemon MMO.

Legend of Zelda/Dynasty Warriors, Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei and now Pokemon/Tekken. I like this new trend. Also, of course there will be a console release. Does anyone really think it won't have a console version?

As for the game itself, I'm looking forward to speculation. Even if the whole game is full of fighting types, that still leaves dozens of options. My top 5 hopes: Hawlucha, Scrafty, Toxicroak, Hariyama and Gallade.

I'd prefer more of a Tokyo Jungle game, I think that would be REALLY fun! Maybe leave out the whole mating thing but say you pick Bulbasaur, after so much exp you evolve and you gain exp by walking round and battling pokémon you bump into.

In case you have no idea what I am talking about, imagine this with pokémon....

Obviously not identical but it's as close of a comparison as I could think of.

You get a handful (not fucking 4, you watch the anime and the pokémon know about 50 moves and then the games come out and you get 4!) I would say, 10 or so. Then Try to reach the max level or evolution, you have to keep an eye on health ... can only get it back by resting or stumbling across some Brock-esque poké-food, to add challenge.

Vedrenne:
Who would have thought we'd get a Pokemon Fighting game before we get a Pokemon MMO.

Because a Pokemon MMO wouldn't really bring anything exciting due to the idea being so pedestrian. Now, Pokemon fighting game, a Zelda-style Dynasty Warriors, and an SMT-FE crossover? Now THOSE are out of the box and have great potential.

Street fighter might have been a better choice, tekken is a little clunky and realistic... man how a phrase makes some sense and no sense... but hey I just don't really care for it, something about the art style.

I really, really hope that this is released on the Wii U and doesn't only see a release in Japan. Maybe the reason that it is getting an arcade release is because that is how Namco are used to releasing their games.

...and yet NO Pokemon SNAP for the WiiU or 3DS.
:(

O well.

I love fighting games.

I LOVE Pokemon.

But this? ... can't say I'll get it. Don't get me wrong, it looks really cool and interesting. But I've never been a fan of Tekken, or any 3-D fighters for that matter (save for the sole exception, Soul Calibur 3).

Even if this makes it's way stateside, I probably won't buy it.

Semi related question:
Is the Arcade scene still alive in the west.
I know that I would literally go to Japan and spend days on their Arcades.

So, what, can we expect Ditto to be the Mokujin replacement?

Anyway, I haven't been interested in Pokémon since the second generation (and since I know SMT exists) and I haven't been into Tekken after Tekken 6's horrible story mode.

So another fighting game of a nintendo franchise?

Not exactly bold and shocking really. Could be a bit of fun but all they have announced recently are fighting esque games, maybe something else would be nice. Like captain toad looks alright.

Vault Citizen:
I really, really hope that this is released on the Wii U and doesn't only see a release in Japan. Maybe the reason that it is getting an arcade release is because that is how Namco are used to releasing their games.

I was under the impression that the arcade releases are used basically to test balance and get feedback on the game, and then they take that feedback and use it to tune the home release.

Aiddon:

Vedrenne:

Because a Pokemon MMO wouldn't really bring anything exciting due to the idea being so pedestrian. Now, Pokemon fighting game, a Zelda-style Dynasty Warriors, and an SMT-FE crossover? Now THOSE are out of the box and have great potential.

Well, Tekken characters showed up in Digimon, so why not have Smash Bros characters showing in Poke'mon? Heh. Can you Imagine Mario, Luigi,or Link with Poke'mon? Although, if a certain episode of Game Theory is to be believed, I'm not entirely sure Mario SHOULD be allowed to keep a pet; especially not after what happened last time.

Kaimax:
Semi related question:
Is the Arcade scene still alive in the west.
I know that I would literally go to Japan and spend days on their Arcades.

It's mostly dead. Granted, arcades will probably always have a place in the west, but nothing like Japan's love for them. Though there is a small chain of successful arcades where I live. I haven't been to them but everyone I've talked to about them think they are great.

OT: Looks cool, but it's a bit of a shame it will most likely be limited to bipedal fighting types/humanoid Pokemon. It makes the most sense of course.

I'm pretty hype about this. The lack of a High/Low system should scare fighting game fans, but it actually intrigues me more than anything. Machamp even has a mishima-style crouch dash to run under projectiles. Since I have to serious attachment to any specific pokemon. Just please add Hawlucha.

Arqus_Zed:
So, what, can we expect Ditto to be the Mokujin replacement?

Doubt it. This seems to be fighting type pokemon only. So I'm expecting a huge roster of Fighting mons. Emboar better be in there. Along with mienshao.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here