GOG is now Selling DRM-Free Movies, Gets a Site Redesign - Update

GOG is now Selling DRM-Free Movies, Gets a Site Redesign - Update

GOGcom Movies 310x

We OWN the DRM-free picture business in this town, kid.

Update: GOG isn't the only game-centric distributor getting all starry-eyed for the silver screen. Three of the DRM-free movies available for purchase -- Pixel Poetry, Good Game, and the The Art of Playing -- come from none other than Devolver Digital Films. Come for the Hotline Miami, stay for the eSports hijinks.

Original Story: GOG.com has long been known for its vast library of DRM-free games for Windows, Mac, and Linux, but the online distributor is now forging into unknown territory: The movie business.

Starting today on its freshly redesigned mobile-friendly website, GOG.com is selling DRM-free movies, and flicks can be streamed or downloaded. 21 titles are available for purchase, with two free movies available for testing. "Art of Playing" and "TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard," are available to all, gratis, so you're familiar the DRM-free experience before dropping cash on subsequent titles.

The GOG movie vault is admittedly limited at the moment, as bigger partners have spurned the model until positive results are seen. "In our first round of talks, the response was largely, 'We love your ideas, but we do not want to be the first ones. We will gladly follow, but until somebody else does it first, we do not want to take the risk'," said GOG North America VP Guillaume Rambourg (undoubtedly while smoking a Churchill stogie, and peering into an old-timey film-editing machine). "Most studio officials agreed that DRM is pointless, but were quick to add that the lawyers would not allow them to get rid of it."

For now, the library is limited to "documentaries catering directly to [GOG's] existing community: gamers and geeks." Other titles available include Indie Game: The Movie, Rewind This!, Playing Columbine, and The King of Arcades. Most of the collection sells for $5.99 a pop, but Indie Game: The Movie will run you $7.49.

Fingers crossed that the movie experiment gains traction for this Hardy to Steam's Laurel. Today, Indie Game: The Movie. Tomorrow? RoboCop! Or Sex in the City 2!

Source: GOG.com PR

I would love for them to sell E-books too!

The sound and site of all things DRM free is a beautiful thing. Today is a day for celebration.

My initial thoughts were "What a poop selection" but then I came here and read the article explaining things a bit more.

When GOG first came out, the selection was limited but it still had some classics that people wanted to buy so it worked. My concern here is that the films are so relatively unknown that it'll struggle to take off.

Fasckira:
My initial thoughts were "What a poop selection" but then I came here and read the article explaining things a bit more.

When GOG first came out, the selection was limited but it still had some classics that people wanted to buy so it worked. My concern here is that the films are so relatively unknown that it'll struggle to take off.

Yeah problem is...GOG no longer really does classics anymore...which more or less means I have to start going back to ye olde abondonware sites again. They're not bad but seriously they've become less and less relevant to my shopping. Most of the games they have are also on steam and if I have to choose I'll take the steam version... it's usually cheaper anyway pluss if it has trading cards I can make back a little money selling the card drops.

What drew me to GoG was the idea of finally getting a hold of the old classics that I loved from the 80's early 90's and late 70's but.... they've more or less turned their back on that

I like the idea but hopefully they get more decent movies. I want to support the idea so that larger studios realise DRM-free is a good idea but the selection is a bit sparse, stuff I've either already seen or have little to no interest in. Still, it will be worth keeping an eye on and is yet another reason to throw money at GOG.

Hate to poop in the proverbial punch bowl here, but GoG is also removing a number of games from their catalog due to changes in the new layout's pricing system.

http://www.gog.com/news/last_chance_special

I don't mind their attempts at diversifying, but it sucks that there have to be casualties to get there.

I imagine the large movie companies would have zero interest in selling their movies unprotected.

New site layout looks nice though a little less colourful. Movies will be an interesting addition, perhaps a step to gog becoming a one stop shop for all kinds of drm free media in the future.

Neverhoodian:
Hate to poop in the proverbial punch bowl here, but GoG is also removing a number of games from their catalog due to changes in the new layout's pricing system.

I don't mind their attempts at diversifying, but it sucks that there have to be casualties to get there.

A shame indeed losing over 30 classic games from your catalog is quite the hit. Especially when they lost the Fallout series earlier in the year also. Unconfirmed speculation is that it maybe because of gog.com's stance against regional pricing that has caused some publishers (in this case most of the games going are from Nordic) to decide not to renew their partnerships with gog once the current deals expire.

Neverhoodian:

Thanks for the link, I managed to get an old favourite of mine, Aquanox 2, for only 1 dollar.
Yes, it is sad that they have to take stuff down, but believe me if they could, they would keep it.
In most cases it's their "partners" who limit the licensing deals and require them to take the games down after.
GoG is still a good source for old stuff.

OT: Movies, yay. They should now try to get the niche, e.g. subbed animes from japan that won't be released otherwise.
There is so much stuff that has a crossover audience with their customers. We do not need another source for blockbusters and stuff,
we won't get them DRM free anyway. So, try to hit the sweet spot guys!

Am I to understand you have no information on the fact that all games published by Nordic Games are about to be taken out of their catalog?

I was curious as to why.

"Most studio officials agreed that DRM is pointless, but were quick to add that the lawyers would not allow them to get rid of it."

So does this mean the MPAA doesn't hate piracy as much as they say they do? I'm curious how these lawyers have such a large say in the matter.

If Disney starts selling its movies on GOG, I will buy them in a heartbeat.

This is fantastic, and I wish them all the luck, for the precedent it will surely set, with discounts and such.

But untill they make adless, creditless, and previewless versions, I will never buy a movie.

i absolutely love competition, gog and valve each comming up with more and better services

BigTuk:
Yeah problem is...GOG no longer really does classics anymore...which more or less means I have to start going back to ye olde abondonware sites again.

I don't think it's really "doesn't do classics anymore." Rather it's "the classics that are left are a pain in the ass to get the rights to."

-Devin Connors

Devin Connors:

BigTuk:
Yeah problem is...GOG no longer really does classics anymore...which more or less means I have to start going back to ye olde abondonware sites again.

I don't think it's really "doesn't do classics anymore." Rather it's "the classics that are left are a pain in the ass to get the rights to."

-Devin Connors

Still waiting for mah Heavy Gear 1-2, Mechwarrior 1-4, Machines: Wired For War, and Battlezone 1-2, all patched to run on modern systems. Every other game I ever wanted on the site has already been purchased by me. XD

Devin Connors:

Starting today on its freshly redesigned mobile-friendly website, GOG.com is selling DRM-free movies, and flicks can be streamed or downloaded.

and just like that they are already a head above every other online movie distributor.

Btw Steam is preparing for this too. You now have Movies, TV shows, ect categories in steam, empty so far, but the infrastructure is done.

cikame:
I imagine the large movie companies would have zero interest in selling their movies unprotected.

Yes, it is much better to leave the only way of getting their movies to be piracy. that certainly will earn them money.

Klaw117:

"Most studio officials agreed that DRM is pointless, but were quick to add that the lawyers would not allow them to get rid of it."

So does this mean the MPAA doesn't hate piracy as much as they say they do? I'm curious how these lawyers have such a large say in the matter.

If Disney starts selling its movies on GOG, I will buy them in a heartbeat.

MPAA is 100% lawyers. you figure the rest.

Zulnam:
Am I to understand you have no information on the fact that all games published by Nordic Games are about to be taken out of their catalog?

I was curious as to why.

Rumour has it that Nordic wants their stuff regionally-priced, and GOG doesn't want to do that (even when they slightly buckled in and allowed regional pricing for new AAA releases, the user response was "WE WILL DELETE ALL OUR ACCOUNTS, CURSE YOU TO DEATH AND MOVE TO STEAM", which ended up costing them via the fair price package). Or maybe they don't want those games to be kept under the 5.99-9.99 pricing that GOG keeps for classics. But in the end, only Nordic and GOG know the specifics. At least they're making the best of it by slashing the prices.

The situation sucks, especially since GOG is becoming more and more slanted towards indies, a loss of 35 classics from their catalogue hurts. But I guess they're doing what they can to stay in the game and keep their mission statement in play.

OT: I'm not a film nerd, so this doesn't really interest me, but it's good to see DRM-free offerings increase.

cikame:

Because the current protections are so tough to crack... :)

Strazdas:

Interesting. Guess Disney, Universal, and the rest of them aren't as stupid as I thought. Screw these lawyers. If these studios dislike DRM though, why are they still hiring these pro-DRM lawyers? And why do these lawyers like DRM so much in the first place? Easier for them to sue *coughnickelanddime* people?

Klaw117:

Strazdas:

Interesting. Guess Disney, Universal, and the rest of them aren't as stupid as I thought. Screw these lawyers. If these studios dislike DRM though, why are they still hiring these pro-DRM lawyers? And why do these lawyers like DRM so much in the first place? Easier for them to sue *coughnickelanddime* people?

It was more of a joke....
But they are lobbysts so they mostly consiste of layers anyway. Oh, Disney, ect are pretty stupid. but they are also rich enough to be stupid and still come out to look right.

Strazdas:

Yes, it is much better to leave the only way of getting their movies to be piracy. that certainly will earn them money.

I'm not saying using GOG wouldn't be a good idea, i'm saying convincing a blind businessman of a huge movie studio to release his films unprotected would be impossible, unlike the PC game industry movie fans have never had to complain about movie copyright software breaking their dvd players or hard drives, which was the main impetus for GOG's creation in the first place. That old drm software was savage.

cikame:

Strazdas:

I'm not saying using GOG wouldn't be a good idea, i'm saying convincing a blind businessman of a huge movie studio to release his films unprotected would be impossible, unlike the PC game industry movie fans have never had to complain about movie copyright software breaking their dvd players or hard drives, which was the main impetus for GOG's creation in the first place. That old drm software was savage.

Of course we did. Region locking would break (lock up) DVD players, streaming DRM would malfunction and lock you out, ect. There was quite a few DRM based complaints in movie indistry as well. Granted, it wasnt as big as in Gaming industry, but thats because movie industry never tried such draconian DRM as gaming industry.

Have already purchased many DRM-protected videos that stored on computer? http://drm-assistant.com/ works well to remove the DRM copy protection..

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here