Buying a Kinect Sensor Separate from Xbox One Costs You $150

Buying a Kinect Sensor Separate from Xbox One Costs You $150

Xbox One Console 04

Microsoft released a standalone Xbox One and sees future purchases of a standalone Kinect.

Standalone Kinect sensors for the Xbox One will be available to purchase in October for $150, Microsoft announced today. It will launch on October 7.

The Kinect-free Xbox One became available on June 9 for $400, compared to the Xbox One and Kinect bundle at $500. The cheaper price helped to double sales of the console in the U.S., competing with Sony's PS4 at $400.

The difference stands at $100, but buying the Kinect sensor separately from the Xbox One costs $150. It will include Dance Central Spotlight with 10 songs.

In May when Microsoft announced it would sell a Kinect-free Xbox One, it noted that in the future it would also sell Kinect sensors separately for Xbox One owners who don't want Kinect at this point but may want it later on when there are more games that use it. Dance Central is indeed one of the more popular series making use of the Kinect.

The Kinect sensor allows players to interact with games and the Xbox One's operating system via gestures and voice commands.

Harmonix's games rely on the Kinect peripheral, and Microsoft initially billed the Kinect sensor as an integral part of the Xbox One. However, the price of the Xbox One made it hard to compete with the PS4. Now the option exists for people to buy the console with or without the Kinect, and to have the option of picking up the Kinect later on.

Source: Xbox Wire

I don't get why they would charge $50 more on this piece of hardware..

I wonder if their doing this to make the kinect bundle seem like more of a deal. Or if they just want to see what they can get away with.

Glaice:

The cost of the kinect 2 is supposed to be nearly as much as the XBO itself.

What we should be asking is why dropping the kinect 2 from the bundle only dropped the XBO price by $100 when the XBO and Kinect 2 already cost less than $500 to make.

Upbeat Zombie:
I wonder if their doing this to make the kinect bundle seem like more of a deal. Or if they just want to see what they can get away with.

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Upbeat Zombie:

Probably a bit of the former, probably also a bit of having a massive oversupply of Kinect MK2s having signed contracts and placed orders on the assumption that every Xbone would ship with one.

If you sell even ten percent of them, that's still more income than throwing them all in a skip, it also wouldn't be the first time recent memory year that Microsoft have massively over ordered hardware and then tried to sell it over price.

Of course it could also be to make it sound like a deal when it hits Gamestop shelves at $100 'marked down' from $150 a month after initial release.

Upbeat Zombie:

Yeah... prolly but they forget the one rule. If you sell something no one wants for a high price you will make 0 sales. All they've done is make kinect games cost an extra $150... any kinect games out there worth plunking down an extra $150 or heck even worth the $100 price difference between the the two x-boxes? Any? ANy kinect games worth $100+ Nope? Guess what Ms you just killed your kinect.

Devs will now have more reasons not to develop anything for it.

But...but...nobody wants the bloody thing!

On the other hand, not buying a Kinect saves you 100.

hurry, buy one from ebay for $50 before the sellers find out.

So... That's $50 for packaging and transport and stuff?

They do try so very hard. So very hard.

Lightknight:

Glaice:

What we should be asking is why dropping the kinect 2 from the bundle only dropped the XBO price by $100 when the XBO and Kinect 2 already cost less than $500 to make.

I'm tentatively calling that the Microsoft "Idiot Tax".
...That and they're probably comfortable with the Kinect-free Xbone's target price vs the PS4.

Lightknight:

Isn't that one of the claims that Microsoft made shortly after the reveal event? Along with the ones like the Kinect and the online system being so totally and utterly inseparable from the system that even thinking about it was unconscionable?

I'm going to file that claim with others under 'B' for blatant lies.

Glaice:

Because they force feed you Dance Central with it.
At least it's not as bad as the PC edition which is $200 and that one is bare bones.

Or you can buy a used (as in taken out of the box, maybe checked out in action by the owner for an hour, and put right back into the box) one online from the millions of xbone owners who don't give -2 flying fucks about the thing.

If fact, maybe MS would have been smart to stop making them as soon as they realized it flopped, started a buy back program, and sold those as "preowned" for a little profit or at a break even price to ensure the few people who have to play the latest Dance Central game the necessary hardware.

Glaice:

Because they are Microsoft, that's why. There is always someone that will pay them for the crap they pull.

Like all the sheep last gen that defended that it was BETTER do pay $50 bucks on a mandatory Gold Subscription to play online than to use the "inferior" free service on the PSN.

They're charging $50 more because when mom/dad/uncle/aunt/grandma/grandpa do the math in their head, they'll see getting the whole package together for little Timmy's Christmas will be $50 cheaper in the long run. Because you know how little Timmy is. As soon as he gets that Xbox One, he'll want that Kinect too, and he'll use all that nasty language he's uses when he's playing Call of Duty until he gets one.

Glaice:

Im going to guess that its in order to make the original $500 dollar bundle seem more appealing to potential buyers. A person walking into a store would compare the bundled and unbundled versions and figure that theyre saving 50 bucks on the whole if they buy the x1 with the Kinect already included.

When someone here says about buying a Kinect separately, do they mean intentionally?

roseofbattle:
The cheaper price helped to double sales of the console in the U.S., competing with Sony's PS4 at $400.

As was noted previously, the number is double the previous month, where sales were down. It's more than likely the "doubling" effect came from people waiting to buy afterwards, not a significant increase in demand. Barring, of course, something new not covered in the linked article.

Glaice:

It's more likely that they're charging fifty bucks extra on the Xbone. Remember, the Kinect was a significant portion of the Bone's cost.

Kinitawowi:
On the other hand, not buying a Kinect saves you 100.

Not buying it leaves me where I already was. Although, I suppose that makes me somewhat happier.

I guess MS still isn't giving up on the kinect. The only reason I can think of for them charging $50 extra is to get people to the the XbOne and kinect bundle is a better deal. However, those who want a kinect will just buy the bundle and those who don't will just buy the standalone console. No one is really going to buy the kinect separate.

Microsoft has really really ruined this technology for everyone. I mean their miss handling of this and complete failure to present this in a way that anyone could possibly want is completely their fault on a number of levels and the perception of this current attempt at releasing this hardware is just another fine example of that. I understand the pricing actually, and they probably need to sell it at this price based on projected cost and sales, but on the other hand I completely understand how people are going to feel ripped off, because they created this aura around themselves, where all people think of when they see the name Microsoft is "how is this company gonna try to pinch every penny out of me and tell me its for my own good." or "we have to screw you because you ungrateful troglodytes didn't give us a choice."

I suspect one day this product will lay the groundwork for the technology of the future, but I wish Microsoft would re-evaluate it's strategy so that we can stop looking at them like they're trying to set us on fire.

Hard to believe the only reason I bought a 360 was the Limited Edition Star Wars model. It came with a Kinect and I haven't even unwrapped it yet. So yeah I have a Kinect that hasn't been used in 2 years. I bet Microsoft never thought that would happen.

Regardless of their reasons, makes sense:

Option A (No Kinect) = What you want, reasonable price
Option B (Kinect Only) = Overpriced, probably wouldn't get it so don't care.
Option C (+ Kinect) = Expensive, but a better deal than A or B individually.

Standard marketing ploy, make C look like a sweet deal, even if the only thing making it a deal is something people wouldn't have otherwise purchased in the first place. Tends to work well.

I would buy kinect if they paid me 150. wait, you mean they want me to pay? why would i pay to haul trash into my house?

"Choices for consumers, best thing for Xbox, and we gon' win this generation, etc"

-Phil Spencer

If nobody wanted the damned thing for $100, why would people want it for $150?!

I kinda get that they probably want to make the bundle look like a deal, but you can't do that retroactively like this. If people didn't want it before, how is learning that they could sell it for far more going convince people to buy the 'bundle?'

Yeah, it's times like these why I remember doubting that there will be another console from microsoft after this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here