Hello Kitty is a Cat, Right? Wrong, Says Her Creator

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a cat! XD

Zontar:
That's still a cat. I don't care what the creator says, that's a cat.

Talk about splitting hairs. That's like Disney saying Goofy isn't a dog...seriously. There is being pedantic and then there is this.

I'm going to toss my hat in with that is a freaking cat crowd. You don't draw a picture of a rock and call it a tree.

Since when do human girl have ears above the head, yellow nose and have whisker? Also it took him this long to tell us?

Ok yeah... no, I just don't care how much they want to make people say "it's a human" it looks like a cat, has whiskers, ears and a tail, so it's at most an antropomorphic cat.

And also "it's a cartoon, it's a gilr, it's a friend" it sounds like a fanboy saying "but it's just that you don't understand it".

V4Viewtiful:

I don't remember Krilin been a cat.

An another dumbwitted company losing 75% of their readers/ followers...

You horrible cattists! Hello Kitty has the right to be a real human girl if she wants to!

SHAME!

Hello Kitty is a Kawaii version of a human girl. It's a girl's idea of what she could be if she could max out her adorable setting - the cuteness of cats has been exploited to produce a $7 Billion a year product, while "merely human" Japanese girls get to constantly modify themselves to achieve a fraction of Hello Kitty's attention and success.

Hazy992:
I suppose Mickey Mouse isn't a Mouse now either?

Plot-Twist:

He's actually a rat.

Yeah no..she has cat ears and whiskers..she's a damned cat.

Stop trying to troll your fans, cause it doesn't work like that.

it's a cat.. maybe what the creator said was lost in translation.. or messed up.. or maybe she doesn't know what a cat looks like. cause while i don't want anything to do with hello kitty, hello kitty is clearly a cat... an anthropomorphic cat but a cat nonetheless ...or else the character wouldn't be called Hello KITTY as in kitty cat

I read that Kotaku article, and yeah, it seems the implication was never so much that Hello Kitty was a human girl, but... why would the representative get antsy about that to the anthropologist person?

Hello Kitty is a cartoon character that represents an anthropomorphized and stylized cat. This much is clear. What I wanna know is why was the person discussed in the original story so hung up on the semantics. The representation? Everyone old enough to count on their fingers knows that's a cat, and that calling it a cat doesn't detract from her humanity. And saying that won't turn the kids into furries (other things will surely do that), so...

The head company has confirmed that "she's not a cat" is going too far, and "she's a human" is going way too far. But if so, what in the sam-shit started the whole thing?

I just want to know what bug crawled up Sanrio's collective bums that would make them take issue with this. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck, right? Lets see...kitty whiskers? Check. Kitty ears? Check. Sometimes-visible kitty tail? Check. But no, I suppose it isn't a cat because it doesn't walk on all fours, crap in a litter box, and spray in your shoes.

Seriously, they act as if cartoons have never depicted animals with humanistic traits. Guess what: they're still their respective species, regardless of the fact that they wear clothes and walk on two legs.

I guess Angry Beavers wasn't a show about...angry beavers. It was a remake of The Odd Couple.

Whatever Japan. Hello Kitty is a cat. You can't troll me. Next you'll be saying that Badtz-Maru is actually a little boy.

Look at him Japan! That's a fucking bird! Just look!

Yeah, if the creator says it's not a cat, I'm going to go with what the creator says about their own creation. I don't have the authority, so to speak, to dictate what someone else's creation is.

Not being sarcastic either.

(Assuming this wasn't lost in translation or anything.)

UberPubert:

Saulkar:
Actually the correct term is anthromorph, but due to semantics anthromorph can be used for pretty much anything we instill our thoughts and values onto. Contextually however, anthromorph would be the best term used outside of the Furry/Scaly fandom.

Not trying to be judgmental or anything, but I feel like I've officially spent too much time on the internet just from reading this.

In that case, does this video rustle your jimmies?

I'm calling mistranslation/misunderstanding on this one.
Either that or it's some kind of Japanese cultural thing that we have difficulty wrapping our western heads around, those tend to happen.

Did commenters not read the quote?

Hello Kitty is not a cat. She's a cartoon character.

Seems simple enough to me.

The strangest part is some of her friends are still referred to as animals, like the bear and monkeys. They clearly don't give a fuck about consistency.

She is actually a being of unfathomable power, brought forth from another dimension to claim this universe as her own. All hail our overlord, Hello Kitty!

If she wants to say she should be considered closer to a person than a pet, fair enough...

But, if she wants to say she is human, she might be the worst drawing of a girl I have ever seen...

Hazy992:

I suppose Mickey Mouse isn't a Mouse now either?

Didn't you know? Mickey is african american.
What?
He was designed in 1928, everyone was racist as fuck back then, especially Disney.

The author seems to not think that there's any sort of state in-between that of a human and a feral cat. She needs to be introduced to anthropomorphism.

Mickey Isn't a mouse. They explained it in the comics - he's a black furred Chihuahua.

hermes200:
If she wants to say she should be considered closer to a person than a pet, fair enough...

But, if she wants to say she is human, she might be the worst drawing of a girl I have ever seen...

You have not been to Deviantart

Toadfish1:

hermes200:

You have not been to Deviantart

Neither I want to.

Ok, maybe it was hyperbolic, but it still stands... Humans don't have cat ears, white fur or whiskers.

Nope, dude...that's a cat. This all just like that Gif/Jif buisness a while back. Yes we know you created it but you are wrong, Hello Kitty is a anthropomorphism of a cat and it's pronounce Gif.

Anybody with Hello Kitty lore knowledge help me out here.

Does Kitty White exist in a world where humans can be born with animal characteristics, such as cat ears, fur and whiskers?

Because outside of that, I can understand this only as a way to emphasize the idea that Kitty is to be thought of as a person and nothing else. Is that an issue? Because Mickey Mouse seems to do alright as a person. Even has his own castle.

Are they afraid people would have the idea that Kitty would be drinking milk out of a saucer instead of a glass? That she'd take cat food out of a bowl instead of sitting down to enjoy a nice steak dinner?

I'm more confused as to the necessity of this statement than anything else.

iniudan:

V4Viewtiful:

I don't remember Krilin been a cat.

Ah the space duck...what a majestic creature.

The Nike logo isn't a tick, but rather a lopsided smile. Firefox is a person in a fursuit. The crocs logo is really a green gorilla.

What about Badtz-Maru? Keroppi? My Melody? U*SA*HA*NA? Are they people too?
Silly Sanrio. I don't know if this a marketing ploy but it's silly.

So.. Is her mom a cat? Or her dad? Are both her parents human, and was there a bit of an awkward moment at birth when the kid turns out to have fur, cat-ears and whiskers?

beastro:
So Sonic the Hedgehog isn't really a hedgehog?

Seems not! Just some blue dude that runs about at incredible speeds, wearing nothing but sneakers... Creepy.

A girl with whiskers and a tail? I wonder if her mum was human and her dad was a cat? That would account for it.

Steven Bogos:

My world has been shattered. Next, Disney is going to come out and tell us Mickey isn't a mouse.

This. Seriously, why the title "Hello Kitty" then? By the same logic, Mickey Mouse is indeed not a mouse. And Donald Duck isn't a duck. Hobbes isn't a tiger. Sonic the Hedgehog isn't a hedgehog. And...
Why does it feel like the world was suddenly tipped upside down?

So the creator and the company differ on how they want to present their characters. I think its reasonable to assert that Kitty is not some animal, but a person, though not human either. It's the distinction that makes the speaking alien races in sci-fi full characters and not simply creatures. I can rationally accept that Kitty isn't a cat, but is like a cat. I don't see why so many people object to the creator's assertion that she isn't the animal that we keep as pets and train to poop in boxes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here