Moon-Crashin' Planetary Annihilation Gets a Release Date, Launch Trailer

Moon-Crashin' Planetary Annihilation Gets a Release Date, Launch Trailer

Crashing moons into planets starts on September 5th, now Steam Greenlight-free!

Uber Entertainment just threw a one-two combo at the Internet, confirming the release date for Planetary Annihilation, and posting its launch trailer to YouTube.

Planetary Annihilation will officially hit retail on September 5th, with Steam being the sole seller of with the galactic-ally large RTS hitting Steam, Origin, Humble Bundle, and the official Uber Store.

The retail release will surely garner plenty of attention on Steam, but the successor to Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander has been playable in one form or another for some time. The Kickstarter-funded Alpha started in June 2013, followed by a Steam Early Access release following in the same month.

Gameplay in Planetary Annihilation is certainly a callback to Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, albiet on a larger scale. Even the original narrator for Total Annihilation, John Patrick Lowrie, is back in his omniscient role.

Have you been participating in Planetary Annihilation's early access run? Drop your thoughts on the RTS in the comments.

...and while you're here, be sure to enjoy the opening cinematic from Total Annihilation, from the heady days of 1997 FMV glory.

Oh, well that's nice. It's only 10 months late. Not that bad for a company which got more then double what they asked for to get the work done.

Sarcasm aside, it's nice to see an Early Access game that was plagued by ludicrous business decisions get a full release. It was looking like it would never get past the Gamma build (which was, ironically, the devs going back on the very claims about how their illogical pricing system worked).

What I want to know is: what will it cost? It was originally said that it would cost 40$ at retail, but they also said that Early Access would cost more then retail in one of the biggest gaffs on steam in years. Then the gamma build came out at the price was 30$, not the 60 of the beta (what?) or the 90 of the alpha (and these people wonder why they got fired from their previous jobs).

More money meant more stretch goals which means it takes longer to produce, not less.

The reason the Alpha was priced as high as it was is that is the price that backers paid to get into the alpha. If they had priced it lower on Steam it would have been an insult to the people who made the game a reality.

I would suspect $30 will be the final price point, $ 10 more than being the lowest level backer.

I played the early access version for about 20 minutes. It chugged so badly on my machine that I literally couldn't scroll the map fast enough to keep up with the AI's attacks. I vowed not to play it again until it released properly.

Johnson McGee:
I played the early access version for about 20 minutes. It chugged so badly on my machine that I literally couldn't scroll the map fast enough to keep up with the AI's attacks. I vowed not to play it again until it released properly.

You sure that's not just your machine drooling? While the smaller maps aren't bad, I hear that long games are quite taxing in general.

Zontar:
Oh, well that's nice. It's only 10 months late. Not that bad for a company which got more then double what they asked for to get the work done.

In total seriousness, if the game is good and they've improved the processor loading in that ten months, then all is forgiven. Better late and working than on time and Battlefield 4.

Anyway, this is what I'm building a new system for, Total Annihilation was one of my favourite games ever (I liked it a lot more than C&C or Starcraft) and I loved Supreme Commander too (Still got the discs), so another game in that vein is right up my street.

TiberiusEsuriens:

Johnson McGee:

You sure that's not just your machine drooling? While the smaller maps aren't bad, I hear that long games are quite taxing in general.

It was quite early in development, right at the start of beta, and the game was still quite un-optomized. I can play things like Bioshock: Infinite and other 'latest' gen games on high settings so I don't think my machine was the issue.

How do I make the death star in the game?

thisbymaster:

From what I'm seeing and what the devs say on the Steam forums is that you take control of the metal planet, if you are going to be the victim of the laser blast, smashing an asteroid or two into it would permanently disable the laser, if you don't the enemy will be able to reuse the cannon again but I don't know it;s CD period but I'd guess it would take a while.

Also apparently planets can collide with one another and even the sun will be able to eat entire planets, this is probably going to be my most favorite RTS of all time but I've already played enough EA to know what I'm in for and I can't say I'm disappointed, I'm more disappointed with Castle Story, Day Z and Starbound even though I've had fun with Starbound.

With this and grey Goo hopefully around the corner we might actually get more RTS games in the future for the franchise that's been lingering heavily for the past 6 years.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/

My thoughts watching the end of the trailer "The planets transform?"

... "Is that a planet gun?"

"That IS a planet gun!"

"THAT'S A FREAKING PLANET GUN!!"

Seriously though I've been following this since the Kickstarter and it looks really freaking awesome. This and Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall have to be some of my favorite games to have come out of the Kickstarter boom.

I have exactly zero interest in multiplayer for this game (I play how I want to play, and "metagame" and optimizations ruin things for me. Also, screw rushers), and the single player mode is still... honestly kind of a joke. It looks pretty, but it's disappointing how quickly "when it's finished" went out the window.

Edit: Granted, with my post and the previous "what took so long?" post in the same thread, you have a nice example of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" going here. :P

JarinArenos:
I have exactly zero interest in multiplayer for this game (I play how I want to play, and "metagame" and optimizations ruin things for me. Also, screw rushers), and the single player mode is still... honestly kind of a joke. It looks pretty, but it's disappointing how quickly "when it's finished" went out the window.

Edit: Granted, with my post and the previous "what took so long?" post in the same thread, you have a nice example of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" going here. :P

And why dont you think that this is exactly what they meant by 'when it's finished?'
I'm pretty sure they were mostly aiming for MP anyway.

I've played it for almost two hours, and I've only played 10 games that made me feel like I was playing with Fischer-Price toys on something the size of a golf ball. That's not quite what I had in mind.

Standby for me to figure a few things out.

Johnson McGee:

TiberiusEsuriens:

Johnson McGee:

It was quite early in development, right at the start of beta, and the game was still quite un-optomized. I can play things like Bioshock: Infinite and other 'latest' gen games on high settings so I don't think my machine was the issue.

You might be surprised. It certainly is more optimized than the early build, but make no mistake, this game is a beast on resources, particularly memory.

thisbymaster:

You don't, they already exist as metal planets and you just have to build structures (catalysts) on them to use the laser.

Johnson McGee:

I had a similar experience. The game just seems extremely poorly optimized to me, since even on the lowest possible settings where the models are basically just bricks, it was extremely laggy.

Maybe they fixed that by now, though

picked up the early access a while back when it was 10 on steam.

If you were a fan of the old TA or Sup Com , i recommend it. there are a few things conspicuous in their absence, for example only one faction , only the core units exist and theres only 2 tiers of unit. and its a system hog . picture a battle being waged over 1 huge planet and 4 smaller moons you might have a thousand plus units in motion at once obviously war on this scale isnt going to run on a brick. i dont get any slowdown on my i7 ,680.

that planet gun isnt in it though , or wasnt last i played and i was not aware of a patch since then. maybe its a surprise held back for release. the super weapons were nukes , orbital canons , planet engines (build these on the "moons" till you have enough to pilot it then crash that moon into another or the main planet and watch damn near everything die.

there is a new layer added to land sea ground and thats orbital. and it fits is unique and works great. its sort of the most important to control but also not the one thats going to win the game (well an early orbital canon might just snipe the commander).

it is built to be modifiable but if the tools are in place and what you can do i have no clue.

thers also a very nice single player game mode , a different take on the campaign idea. you start with a basic loadout say basic vehicles and all you can build is commander structures and basic land vehicles +fabricators. as you clear planets and bring them under your control they offer up expansions to your arsenal. such as basic/advanced land sea air orbital, boosts to resource gathering , improvements to unit types , special weapons and top tier defence etc etc. so each time its going to play out differently.

It looks awesome, but honestly a version of Total Annihilation at Supreme Commander scale would have made me happy.

...Is it fun yet? I backed it and every time I have played it I can't help but think how crap it is compared to SupCom FA. I dunno I think this is my fault, while I loved Total Annihilation as a kid I believe that SupCom, particularly FA, beat the crap out of TA and I was hoping that PA would be more on the SupCom side of things.

On the upside of things I have gotten an additional 100 hours out of Forged Alliance thanks to me starting it up again after every disappointing match of PA.

vallorn:
My thoughts watching the end of the trailer "The planets transform?"

... "Is that a planet gun?"

"That IS a planet gun!"

"THAT'S A FREAKING PLANET GUN!!"

Seriously though I've been following this since the Kickstarter and it looks really freaking awesome. This and Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall have to be some of my favorite games to have come out of the Kickstarter boom.

We have turned the planet into what I like to call a "Death Star"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here