The Fantastic Four Reboot is Doomed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I actually really like Doctor Dooms costume from the other FF movies, despite not really enjoying the movies themselves.

Also, I spy human torch up in the air!

Mromson:
Good lord could you get anymore clickbaity? I might stop coming to this site altogether if these clickbaits don't bloody stop.

Believe it or not, they used to be worse...was a time when the clickbait was much more common...they cleaned up their act a lot, but seem to be backsliding, unfortunately.

Are you sure that's Doctor Doom and not Grey Bin-Bag Man? A hobo struck by cosmic rays whilst rifling through a dumpster, he gains the properties of a bin bag such as tearing easily on sharp objects and having a slight static charge so he sticks to things a bit. Look out Fantastic Four!

It looks like someone dipped him in a vat of liquid latex.

Racecarlock:
Unless one of your lines is "I am groot", that outfit doesn't work.

Based on this design, I think having Doom's lines consisting entirely of, "I am DOOM!" might be the best direction for the film.

ZZoMBiE13:

Sillarra:
If they are not using anything but the name, can Marvel just say that they are not really using the IP at all and take it back? I certainly hope so. Or maybe they are already planning to do this and are just waiting for the movie to come out so they can have a more definite claim.

I hate to judge anything so early on. But if all the things we have heard so far come to pass, I'm going to bet Marvel has a case for... I dunno... defamation of brand? Is that a thing? If not, it should be.

It is not, although there is a similar precedent they could use. Marvel/Disney could go to the writers guild to try to wrestle the rights of the characters back, if they feel Fox is hurting their brand; but it is such a hassle that likely neither of them want that. From what I know, it has to be quite a departure of the original IP for the WGA to intervene, and most licencing contracts have clauses to protect each party of those cases...

It's possible that this isn't the 'costume' per se-but more the result of his body turning to metal against his will and making him look a bit fucked as a result. He could refine it later on into something actually evil and stuff.

Still looks a bit shit, but at least it may not be a permanent fixture.

Looks like a Weeping Angel that's been left out in a landfill and rained on for several years, then had an arm broken off by clumsy movers on its way to the movie studio for filming.

It looks like Doom is wearing Mossy Oak hunting camouflage. Is there a scene is the movie where Reed Richards and Dr. Doom go on a deer hunting trip? The does not bode well for the movie, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since this image is from when the movie hasn't hit post production.

Lilani:
Maybe it's supposed to be what's under the armor? Like, some version of him before he's got the armor?

What I was thinking as well. I thought Doom was in the armor as a life-support, due to burns (I could be horribly wrong), and that looks like a burn victim...

Anyone else think that the Sam Rami Green Goblin suit pained steel colored, with a green cloak and possibly a different mask would make a perfect Dr. Doom costume? Seriously the comic character is a simple costume that looks good, they shouldn't try and reinvent the wheel, when they spent so much buying the wheel.

hermes200:

ZZoMBiE13:

Sillarra:
If they are not using anything but the name, can Marvel just say that they are not really using the IP at all and take it back? I certainly hope so. Or maybe they are already planning to do this and are just waiting for the movie to come out so they can have a more definite claim.

I hate to judge anything so early on. But if all the things we have heard so far come to pass, I'm going to bet Marvel has a case for... I dunno... defamation of brand? Is that a thing? If not, it should be.

It is not, although there is a similar precedent they could use. Marvel/Disney could go to the writers guild to try to wrestle the rights of the characters back, if they feel Fox is hurting their brand; but it is such a hassle that likely neither of them want that. From what I know, it has to be quite a departure of the original IP for the WGA to intervene, and most licencing contracts have clauses to protect each party of those cases...

It sucks that the licensor seems to have more rights under the law than the creator.

Hopefully this image is some kind of out-of-context aberration, not the full DOOM suit from the film. DOOM deserves so much better than the trash in that picture. Maybe it's a stunt suit? Just for takes where it would be dangerous to wear anything but that wrinkly foam.

Boy, that's a stretch. But one can dream.

soo... that was too much to ask of the producers?

Haha, man he looks like an old school Dr. Who villain they didn't have a huge budget for.

Still context is important, it'll no doubt look different on the big screen.

008Zulu:
The non-armoured Doom is why I didn't like the Fantastic Four movies they did a while back. First (Sony) made Rhino from a mutant to a mech pilot, now (Fox) is turning a mech (power armour can fall in to this category) in to a mutant (again). Do they have a problem sticking to the source material?

The only thing Sony did wrong was not use Alex O'hirn in the movie as mech Rhino since he's the one that had it in comics.

Doomed is right. In this case, no pun is intended at all. This is going to be a trainwreck. Gads, what a crappy looking Doom!

oldtaku:
They'd better be intending to CG over that in post.

I'm not sure why people are assuming that's the actual costume when they're almost certainly going to CGI over it. Everyone remember all that kryptonian armour in Man of Steel? All CGI. Why weigh down an actor with an actual suit of armour if restricting his movement isn't necessary?

ZZoMBiE13:

hermes200:

ZZoMBiE13:

It sucks that the licensor seems to have more rights under the law than the creator.

Hopefully this image is some kind of out-of-context aberration, not the full DOOM suit from the film. DOOM deserves so much better than the trash in that picture. Maybe it's a stunt suit? Just for takes where it would be dangerous to wear anything but that wrinkly foam.

Boy, that's a stretch. But one can dream.

Yeah; most likely, its a placeholder for the real armor.

Not that such an armor NEEDS to be CGI. A far more decent attempt than this can be done with prosthetic and make up, or good old costume design.

In the end, this goes back to the article of MovieBob. Any bad press this leak would raise could be solved with official promotional material, even concept art. Considering the movie is currently in post-production, it is a constant source of negative speculation the fact we should have a lot more information (trailers, previews, interviews, even toys) at this point...

Gearhead mk2:
...that looks HIDEOUS. Jesus, what is that made of, paper mache? I honestly do not believe that's actually what they're using. Calling it now, that picture's a hoax made by some prankster.

Or they're going to CG over most of him. You would be surprised by how much CG movies (and even TV shows) use these days. It's almost to the point where we might as well call them animated features. Heck, just look at the background, not a single physical prop. Where ever they are standing in that shot, it's going to be 100% CG for the background.

Seriously? Christ on a stick, that's the funniest damn thing I've seen today! Wow. I'm torn between fits of snorting laughter and waves of regret tinged with sadness. The exact same thing happens when I drink cheap tequila, but just wow.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Doom isn't hard. At all. Doom should be one of the easiest "Big Bosses" of the Marvel U to bring to the screen. Fox got Thing right and you continually screw up Doom? Isn't that like tripping over a leaf? Please give the rights back, we deserve better....Doom deserves better. No, Doom demands better!

PS. STAHP IT, FOX! Damn.

To put this in perspective, this was Dr. Doom from the unreleased Roger Corman FF movie.

Yep, Corman on a doomed shoestring budget did it better with a couple of nobodies.

Vivi22:

oldtaku:

I'm not sure why people are assuming that's the actual costume when they're almost certainly going to CGI over it. Everyone remember all that kryptonian armour in Man of Steel? All CGI. Why weigh down an actor with an actual suit of armour if restricting his movement isn't necessary?

I'll tend to favor the late master Stan Winston's take on this from when he made Iron Man. The producers wanted a full CGI suit. He said no, you could not get the lighting good enough to trick the eye, and proved himself right by building a real suit and showing them.

*Clicks thinking the article is going to be one thing*
*Sees that it's not anything of the sort (and a terrible pun)*
*Swears profusely*

Creedsareevil:

soo... that was too much to ask of the producers?

It's always amusing when a fan can cobble together a better looking costume in their spare time.

Mromson:
Good lord could you get anymore clickbaity? I might stop coming to this site altogether if these clickbaits don't bloody stop.

No no, the title's accurate. The new movie is pretty much in the grave now.

Therumancer:
That and personally if I wanted to cast "Mole Man" nowadays I'd probably have seen if I could get Peter Dinklage, not just because he's short (but that helps obviously) but he can play both ruthless and oddly charismatic.

If Peter Dinklage should be anyone in the marvel universe, it should be Galactus. Give him a real test of his acting acumen. Even better if they don't use CG.

Aramis Night:

Therumancer:
That and personally if I wanted to cast "Mole Man" nowadays I'd probably have seen if I could get Peter Dinklage, not just because he's short (but that helps obviously) but he can play both ruthless and oddly charismatic.

If Peter Dinklage should be anyone in the marvel universe, it should be Galactus. Give him a real test of his acting acumen. Even better if they don't use CG.

I'm now envisioning Galactus reaming the hell out of the Four, Tyrion Lannister style, and topping it off somehow with "Reed Richards is Useless, indeed.". Thank you for that.

Ok so it look like I got something nice say about the first Fantastic Four movie. Now if they mess up The Thing apperance then I got another nices thing to say too.

Remember, kids: if Sony stops making Fantastic Four movies, the rights revert to Marvel. If the movie bombs, they'll stop making Fantastic Four movies. If you pay Sony to see this movie, it's your fault that we can't have good Fantastic Four movies.

...That sucks. That really, REALLY sucks. I mean, I didn't think the first two Fantastic Four movies were any great work of cinema, but at least they got the look of the characters basically correct, even everyone's favorite ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing. I never thought I would have to take that as a premium. Marvel has really spoiled us in terms of true-to-the-comics costumes.

This reboot is going to blow chunks.

That costume looks like CRAP! FFS Edward Norton as King Baldwin from Kingdom of Heaven looked more like Dr. Doom than that. What is that a Sleestak waering a cape? If they have to resort to CGI to make a Dr. Doom costume...lame.

Mromson:

I found the title rather accurate as an assessment of the movies chances actually. FF movies have always been bad, and this one is shaping up to be no better.

Atary77:

oldtaku:

This is my first thought to these photos. That they plan on adding some sort of CGI effects to his costume. But will the CGI be subtle? Or will it be as overblown as Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern?

Oh no, that shot is going into the final film unedited. In order to save money they decided that 90% of the plot would take place while the characters were standing in a Hollywood greenscreen room. - it saves massively on buying and arranging a set.

The full title of the new movie is going to be "The Fantastic Four Visit Universal Studios"

(Also to save money the actor of the Thing is going to be standing just off camera shouting his lines from the side, while the director holds a Thing action doll up to the camera lens to make it look lifesize, occasionally shaking it around when the Thing gets angry.)

Vivi22:

oldtaku:

Actually I think Doom is most definitely NOT going to have major CGI on him.

Look at this before and after image from Pirates of The Carribean:

Notice how everyone getting CGI has to wear those funky white dots? The dots allow the animators to keep everything consistent, they are a basic requirement for CGI.

Now look at the second screenshot in this article:

Notice how the person facing Doom has the funky dots on him, because he is going to be CGIed. Heck, even the green background is covered in reference dots, but Doom doesn't have a single dot on him.

Now it will probably be that Doom is getting some minor CGI work (certainly a colour filter, maybe some glowing bits or little details) but the lack of dots mean that that costume will be very recognisable in the final film, otherwise he'd be wearing polka-dot pajamas like everyone else who'se been CGIed.

The criticism of Doctor Dooms outfit isn't fair at all. Guys these people are in the green screen phase of production. There are plenty of instances where the actors wear a half assed suit version of their characters and the rest is put into the CGI effects machine. They do this all the time. Calling the movie a failure right out of the gate is counting your eggs was too soon.

This is an ashcan just to keep the rights isn't it?

Just like the 1994 movie.

"You never thought you'd be laughing at the end did ya? Laughing so hard you couldn't breath! ...was all this a big practical joke?" - Mr. Plinkett/RedLetterMedia[1]

That's the quote that immediately popped into my mind on seeing this.

[1] Speaking of the infamous "Noooooo!" Darth Vader reveal in Revenge of the Sith.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here