Rumor: Rockstar Cancels Grand Theft Auto V PC, Delays Next-Gen to 2015

Pages PREV 1 2

Kind of have a hard time buying into the idea that the PC version of GTA V has been canceled especially when it was just announced not that long ago and is already up for pre-order on places like Steam. Seems a little far fetched that someone who used to work for Rockstar would so openly make this claim when it can be easily traced back to him. Not only that but it doesn't make any sense that GTA V wouldn't show up on the PC considering every other version of GTA has and it will no doubt make a ton of money when it does arrive.

The delay, on the other hand, seems far more likely and believable.

I know I'll be incredibly disappointed and rather upset if Rockstar decides not to release on the PC for some strange reason.

I hope this isn't the case, even though I have a ps3 I would prefer playing gta 5 on the pc, mostly because i like mouse aiming and mods.

Devin Connors:

In the same report, Rantic Chairman John Hoffberger says that "Rockstar never wanted to release a PC version of GTA V, but due to high public demand, they were forced to do so."

Our customers really wanted this game after every other iteration we've done has been on their platform of choice and has sold very well throughout the years, it's like they're holding us at gunpoint.

OT: Guess I won't be playing it then.

It's fake. "A man named Brad" has never been a good source, especially not on an unknown website nobody cares about. This is maximum level trolling. Rockstar has denied in on the support forums (although yeah, I know its just a low level support agent, but still.)
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201716543-Is-GTA-5-cancelled-for-PC

I love how 4chan still thinks it;s fair play to hack a website that isn't affiliated with Rockstar, hacking any website isn't right at all, it makes you a complete immature asshole and you deserve to be caught and thrown away.

This just shows how immature gamers can really get when they get a whiff of fake news and act upon it and it;s obviously coming from the PC space no less which really paints more colour on them.

bravo 4chan you achieved fuck all and made yourselves look like immature kids once more.

Wow, don't get what you want, scream and stamp your feet like a perpetulant child. These are the sort of people that make PC Players look like jackasses, I'm not going to get to play Sunset Overdrive, not about to send out angry emails over it.

Fucks sake people, suck it up. Just one overhyped game.

Laughing Man:
PC Modders, crummy anti cheat system (at least the console versions seem to indicate this) and a cash stream that is heavily dependant on free add on content being paid for quickly by impatient players using real world cash to quickly buy in game credit.

I called it months ago that an inability to prevent PC gamers from modding the game content and then taking their mods online would lead to Rockstar never releasing the game on PC.

If you did call it then congrats on using logic that doesn't make sense to call a decision that doesn't make sense. Seems like something to be proud of.

I'm just gonna say a few things and leave it there.

1.It's unconfirmed. I'll wait for some kind of confirmation.

2. If it's true, hacking the website over there is stupid.

3. I personally don't really care because I stopped caring about GTA about halfway through San Andreas. Maybe I'll pick up 5 when it's down to 20 bucks someday.

4. Apparently Saints Row is going to fight the Devil in Hell next year. I'm looking forward to that a lot more then I ever did for GTA V.

I wish Rockstar would stop being so fuckin' silent and tell us what's going on. But this isn't ust a thing with Rockstar. Remember when Wolf Among Us first released, and then we heard NOTHING for a solid four months? The games industry needs to stop being so goddamn secretive unless telling people what they are doing will literally ruin the game.

Which from what I've seen in the industry so far, has never happened.

Mr Ink 5000:
I don't get how Rockstar can be forced into releasing pc??

In saying that, I was surprised that the PC version wasn't released on PC six months after the console version like they've done with all their other games. And unlike everyone screaming for a PC version, I knew they tend to not mention a PC version until about two months before release.

So they guarantee and promise that GTAV is coming to PC multiple times and now they allegedly have gone back on the commitment made over literally the entirety of the internet including on the recent dev livestream for the flight school update and are not putting it onto PC.

I'm not convinced. Until I see an official announcement I am not going to think that Rockstar just refused millions of dollars from PC gamers that don't have and have no reason to buy a console

If you did call it then congrats on using logic that doesn't make sense to call a decision that doesn't make sense. Seems like something to be proud of.

As proud as being so dumb that you can't work out the following.

- Rockstar make a sizeable monetary sum from Shark Cards.
- Rockstar provide free and new content at stupidly over priced in game currency specifically to help drive the continued sales of Shark Cards from people who are to impatient to grind $1,000,000 to get the latest fully modded Coquette Converitable
- Rockstar release game on format where people can very easily mod in their own creations

What happens to that Shark Card monetary stream when people no longer need to wait for Rockstar to provide them with new content, when they can just make it themselves. Or edit weapons costs, or health values, or vehicle costs or ALL the things you could do in the last GTA game? Even though Rockstar went out of their way to try and prevent it?

Look at the newsfeed now and you will see people complaining to Rockstar about all sorts of bullshit, including cheaters on console. I can only imagine what they would have to put up with from the PC community when it turns out that whatever anti modding system they choose to use fails hard and the entire online game is nothing but who has the most uber hacks and cheats!

Little do we all know, they actually were bound by the petition of butthurt console gamers to not release it on PC because of teh piracy!!

"The website for Brad's firm, called Rantic, has since been hacked by 4chan"
XAXAXAXAXAX typical 4chan nuking the messenger and not the king.

To all the PC gamers longing for GTA V:
Ii is not that great. everything but the sandbox is meh, and GTA:O is so broken is not even fun.

JoJo:
Wow... if this is true, PC gamers are going to be mad...

(And the comments section of the original article attests to this)

eh.....I don't really care

not to say I speak for all PC gamers, it really does suck....but personally it just looks like more of the same

MrHide-Patten:
Wow, don't get what you want, scream and stamp your feet like a perpetulant child. These are the sort of people that make PC Players look like jackasses, I'm not going to get to play Sunset Overdrive, not about to send out angry emails over it.

What are you talking about? Doesn't look like anyone in the thread seems very upset about it. Not that interested in GTA myself and I am mostly a PC gamer now. There are tons of games to play on pc so hardly would be a loss if it didn't come.

Dendio:
It's sad that Sony/ Microsoft can legally pay off companies to not put their products out on other systems. The whole third party exclusive nonsense just hurts gamers in the end. First party I understand...you make the game and the system, but third party exclusives just shouldn't be. I prefer playing single player games on the pc. If rockstar doesn't want my money so be it

Many of us have waited a long time for gta 5 to come to pc. If rockstar STILL refuses to support PC then its simply time to move on

First of all these Sony and Microsoft handicap matches that are supposedly happening aren't. Different companies buddy, the current top face and top heel of one promotion isn't in the indies punishing someone they could care little about.
Secondly so they are doing all this while delaying the game on their next gen platforms, some bribes if the case.

And finally there are actual several perfectly valid reasons for third party exclusives, not saying they apply to GTA5 (as you know it isn't an exclusive), but what Laughing Man has mentioned would make it perfectly valid from a monetary standpoint if it would hurt their cash flow.

This "rumor" has apparently been debunked.

http://www.craveonline.ca/gaming/articles/751071-grand-theft-auto-v-pc-cancellation-rumor-debunked

- A search of Rantic, Rantic marketing, Rantic marketing Rockstar and Rantic marketing Rockstar North reveals absolutely nothing other than Google results pertaining to this rumor.
- Similarly John Hoffberger has precisely zero web presence.
- LazyGamer.net reports that prior to 4Chan's alleged hacking of the site, the website of the company had been down for over a year.
- The most recent use of the domain was for Rantic Records, a site that looks like it was created in 2004. Would a company as huge as Rockstar really leave its marketing down to these people?
- That a marketing company would risk its entire reputation by leaking such information seems implausible.
- It's equally implausible that they would leak this information to a relatively unknown website such as Fox Weekly.
- When have Rockstar ever canceled a game that they have previously announced?
- Grand Theft Auto V is still on the Steam store, along with its pegged released date of Fall 2014.
- Why would Rockstar risk pissing off such a huge demographic, even if its staff was "agitated" by having to bring the game to PC?

Probably some weak marketing ploy or bitter console fans (remember this? http://www.change.org/p/rockstar-games-dont-make-a-pc-version-of-gta-v ) attempting to stir things up, typical behavior of the fanatical remnants of dieing platforms.

Strelok:

Probably some weak marketing ploy or bitter console fans (remember this? http://www.change.org/p/rockstar-games-dont-make-a-pc-version-of-gta-v ) attempting to stir things up, typical behavior of the fanatical remnants of dieing platforms.

Best selling launches ever == dying.
Additionally there is one small group this brings out the uglies in and you should know that all too well. Next time simply say its been debunked and stop with the unneeded snide remarks please. Its scripted buddy, its not real life.

Work on your heel work more too, as your transcribing just isn't convincing. You may want to chance your subject matter as well as what you're currently doing is akin to insulting France in America. Yeah its a heel thing to do but to an audience that hardly cares, try that stuff elsewhere buddy where it may work on tastelessness alone.

even though i gave up on the series since SA, but hearing that all of a sudden they dont want to release a game(especially a famous franchise) anymore for other platforms which used to be available, is insulting.
true or not, but rockstar should just release it as they did with previous titles.

An Ceannaire:
The part of me that I hate wants this to be true - just to see what happens.

Well, it's obvious. Modders will mod GTA V into GTA IV, just like how they modded Watch Dogs into GTA IV.

Mr.Tea:

Elfgore:
When in reality PC holds more games "hostage" more than anyone else [...]

You what? How?

Probably referring to many PC game that don't go over due to lack of controller support, are RTS's, unable to be coded onto the last gen of consoles, whose parent companies disappeared years ago, whose parent companies were burned or are afraid of the issues in putting a game on XBLA etc.

If this is true Rockstar is dead to me. When are game devs gonna wake up and smell the silicon, we PC gamers are the future.

huh ...

I'd assumed it'd been canned/was never something that was gonna happen awhile ago ...

Oh well, I still have Saints Row 2-4 :p so nothing of even remote value lost if this overhyped Breaking Bad/Sopranos knock off never makes it to PC

Funyahns:

MrHide-Patten:

What are you talking about? Doesn't look like anyone in the thread seems very upset about it. Not that interested in GTA myself and I am mostly a PC gamer now. There are tons of games to play on pc so hardly would be a loss if it didn't come.

I was generally reffering to the dickwaffles that hack a website to make their displeasure known. Escapist tends to be on the ball 90% of the time.

Strelok:

- Why would Rockstar risk pissing off such a huge demographic, even if its staff was "agitated" by having to bring the game to PC?

Played Red Dead Redemption on PC yet? No? Why would Rockstar risk pissing off such a "huge" demographic?

I'm amazed PC gamers are still taking that to heart. But dying? Have you shared this theory with anyone? I mean, GTA V was one of the hottest launches ever, and the current gen has over 22 million units sold to date....

I mean, not to mention PC gamers are getting offended at even the possibility that they might not get a console game. It's almost like this was a hot, desirable title or something.

Isn't it weird how console gaming has been "dying" almost as long as PC? Doubt you accept that one, though.

Rozalia1:

Best selling launches ever == dying.
Additionally there is one small group this brings out the uglies in and you should know that all too well. Next time simply say its been debunked and stop with the unneeded snide remarks please. Its scripted buddy, its not real life.

It's over, Roz, it's all over! Ring the bell! Ring the damn bell!

MrHide-Patten:

I was about to post something along those lines in a semi-trolling fashion, but THANK YOU. I've been playing console games my whole life and I don't regularly waste my breath about games not coming to my platform of choice. There are just too many games to care about the ones that are inconvenient to play. It's the publisher's problem, not ours. I'll admit GTA V is pretty good, but it's certainly not great. If you want to play a great GTA game on PC, get GTA 4 with Ballad of Gay Tony. It will be a far superior experience.

Elfgore:
I can already see how this threads gonna go down. PC gamers are gonna start screaming "Consoles hold game hostages!" and then make it sound like GTA 5 will be a total failure without their money. When in reality PC holds more games "hostage" more than anyone else and GTA 5 was one of the best selling games of all time, for only two consoles. I think they'll be fine.

Anyway, it's a damn shame. It was a pretty solid game. I'm even enjoying Online now, that I could finally beat the fucking tutorial. No one plays Cypress Heights anymore, which is a required job to play to finish the tutorial. Stupid!

It's not actually required to play anymore. You just need to walk into the corona, invite some people then quit.

But yes, they've made their money off the game already, the next-gen/pc release is just the frosting. I think they will still release a pc version but I can also believe that they'll release the next gen versions first. It would be too bad if it was cancelled. I can count on one hand the games that I've re-bought for the pc and gtav would add another digit to that roster.

Rockstar have said time and time again, they HATE coding for PC and have no future plans for games on PC, and they UNDERSELL on the system.

pandorum:
Rockstar have said time and time again, they HATE coding for PC and have no future plans for games on PC, and they UNDERSELL on the system.

Got a link for this nonsense?

Here is a real quote from Rock Star instead of something made up, it's regarding Red Dead Redemption and the PC.

We hope that with the announcement that L.A. Noire is coming to PC this fall, and the knowledge that our next big game Max Payne 3 will have a PC release (plus that we've released both Grand Theft Auto IV and the Episodes from Liberty City for PC), we can finally put to rest any misconceptions that we've 'abandoned the PC platform'.

We do know that, yes, there is just one title absent from our PC release plans - that game of course being Red Dead Redemption, and of course we're well aware that some fans have been asking for it. All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) - we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms. To PC gamers, we hope that between the Grand Theft Auto titles, and the forthcoming L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, you'll have plenty of great Rockstar action to enjoy.

The rumor was Red Dead was coded so poorly Rock Star would need to start from scratch and rebuild the entire game, hence the indication it was a monetary decision to not port it.

Here is a complete list of Rock Star games that never made it to PC:

Smuggler's Run: Warzones
Midnight Club 3
The Warriors
Red Dead Revolver
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis
Midnight Club: Los Angeles

Notice anything? Not big sellers on either console platform perhaps?

Anyway, on topic, appears this rumor (GTA V cancelled) credibility has taken an even bigger hit.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/01/grand-theft-auto-v-for-pc-has-not-been-canceled-rockstar-says/

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here