Report: Nvidia to Unveil GeForce 900 Series Graphics Cards Next Month

Report: Nvidia to Unveil GeForce 900 Series Graphics Cards Next Month

Nvidia Titan Z 310x

Desktop GPU naming scheme is going from the 700 series straight to 900.

Nvidia's GTX 780 graphics card is no slouch, but 15 months on shelves means it's time for a flagship refresh.

VideoCardz is reporting that Nvidia's next line of desktop GPUs will be unveiled next month, and the chipmaker is skipping over the "800 series" moniker for its desktop parts.

The 900 series, anchored by the flagship GTX 980 and enthusiast GTX 970, will be "paper launched" in the second week of September. A paper launch means launch information and hardware will be sent to tech reviewers and influencers around September 9th, but the NDA won't lift until later in the month. Even then, cards might not be available to consumers until later in the year, but that is only speculation.

So why skip the 800 series name? The series designation isn't being totally passed over -- for now its used on several mobile-only Nvidia GPU components. The latest Razer Blade uses a GTX 870M, for example. Additionally, as VC puts it, "...if NVIDIA didn't rename 800 series to 900 series, we would have desktop 800 and mobile 900M series in relatively short time."

We've reached out to Nvidia for comment on the name change, and will update accordingly if anything comes our way.

Regardless of the name, it sounds as though new GPU hardware is close to launch, so hopefully that part of the rumor is true, name shift or not.

Source: VideoCardz

They skip a number for there big flagships a lot as they use the in-between number for OEM only requested rebrands.

yay more expensive cards ill never be able to afford

They are forced to do so. From what I see, AMD's R9 is kicking some major ass, as of late.

Well nice. Lets wait for GTX 960 and 950.
Now I need to wait and see what AMD does. And then decide whether I will upgrade my 2009 upper mid range GPU. Or whether I will go on for another 1-2 years :)

Charcharo:
Now I need to wait and see what AMD does. And then decide whether I will upgrade my 2009 upper mid range GPU. Or whether I will go on for another 1-2 years :)

I'm still rockin' my old GTX580. But I found out that I cannot play Metro 2033 Redux maxed out with more than 0.5 SSAA. And that bothers me deeply. I was aiming at R9 290, but now I'll wait a little and see what the good old NV guys can cook.
That being said, I doubt AMD will rush things out. Nvidia will surpass them, but they'll respond with better pricing.

nevarran:

Charcharo:

I'm still rockin' my old GTX580. But I found out that I cannot play Metro 2033 Redux maxed out with more than 0.5 SSAA. And that bothers me deeply. I was aiming at R9 290, but now I'll wait a little and see what the good old NV guys can cook.
That being said, I doubt AMD will rush things out. Nvidia will surpass them, but they'll respond with better pricing.

Then you have a problem mate :P

I have a "lowly" ATI HD 5770, much weaker then your 580.
I play Metro Redux at high settings (no SSAA, 0.5 SSAA is worse then no SSAA... it means HALF resolution mate :P ) 900P :P...

This just means sooner rather than later my price watch on the 780 will be hit and I can run an SLI setup, so woo.

seris:

pretty much what I get from any new GPU release, the majority are expensive and I'm still looking for a 780 here but nope still expensive and I'm not holding hope that once these release the prices of the 780's will just jump down, it makes trying to get a decent setup expensive and annoying at the same time and I just know someone here is going to tell me what I should slap in my new build to make it "affordable", I kindly say fuck off to those people.

Welp..I wanted to buy a 880 Maxwell next month, but if these rumours are indeed true then I hope the price range of the 9-- series won't be higher or close to 780ti.

Excellent, I've been holding out for a price drop on the 7 series cards to replace my aging 570. Once these drop I'll be able to finally afford an upgrade. Cheers!

Interesting. I am rocking a pair of Titan Blacks in my PC for CGI rendering but even then I am starting to run into issues with how long individual scenes take to render. For this reason I am considering buying two more cards to put into each of my two render farm nodes. I am curious as to if the gtx 980 will offer satisfactory performance or if I should wait. At the same time I need a new Desktop case as the one I have does not allow me to install a third card by virtue of the depression where the steel back IO plate slots into cutting off one slot early. I need to punch a hole to fit a third two slot card in but at the same time, said card will be wedged against my power supply which means one will be sucking in hot air from the other.

All the while I am going all nostalgic over my old 9800GX2!

If I can get a 960 or 970 with better specs than my 760 for the same price, this would be amazing. Looking forward to it! (Or even a 780 after a drop. Ahh, the possibilities <3)

I've been considering a new GPU for a while now. I may have to look into the specs and performance of this. My old GTX590s are starting to show their age.

Ooooooh, sweet. That means it'll be time for me to pick up a 700 series when the price starts dropping in a few months.

seris:

yay people will be upgrading their graphics cards and the old cards will continually lose value and you will be able to buy a powerful graphics card cheaply second hand and still run all the games at medium/high settings and 1080p

Sweet. My 580 has served me well but it's getting old now.

Nvidia foils my plans again! i was goin to wait for 900 series to be released in the future so the 800 series would drop in price and i could relatively cheaply upgrade my 760 to 860 or something like that, however skipping 800 series menas i will have to upgrade into nothing! probably will wait for 1000series to upgrade then, the 760 is doing very well so far.

dochmbi:

seris:

yay people will be upgrading their graphics cards and the old cards will continually lose value and you will be able to buy a powerful graphics card cheaply second hand and still run all the games at medium/high settings and 1080p

eh more often then not, distributors (such as amazon and newegg) don't really end up dropping their price much, if at all, they just sell what's left in their backstock and then it's sold out, the only way to really get a "cheap" card from the last generation is through ebay and such, and even then that comes with its own woes.

If you have somewhere that does otherwise, I'd be happy to hear about it :-) I'm happy with my 280 right now but if the 700 series starts dropping like flies in price I'll actually consider getting an nvidia card, *gasp* maybe even an expensive one by my standards.

YAY!

Hope I can nab a 770 for a somewhat better price.

Sadly I need to get a new computer, as my old tower of a '08 build with little to no updates is starting to sputter. Hell I had to get a 560 to replace my other card after it died back in 2011. Only real work I've put in besides a larger power core.

So boo :/ All this new tech makes me feel out-of-date.

My 580 still does me good. Can still max games here and there, she's a faithful and loyal one. I'll have the 700 series on Price watch though. Maybe nab a 780 at some point, who knows.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here