Atlus Breaks the Shackles on Persona 5, Reveals Protagonist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Atlus Breaks the Shackles on Persona 5, Reveals Protagonist

The star of Persona 5 quietly rides a train in Atlus' Persona 5 trailer; the game will release on PS4 and PS3 in 2015.

Atlus released an animated trailer yesterday for Persona 5, the next Persona game after a long line of Persona 4 spinoffs. At the end of this trailer, Atlus announced Persona 5 will not be a PS3 exclusive, nor will it be coming out this holiday, as originally anticipated. The game will be available to play on both the PS3 and the PS4 in 2015.

The unnamed protagonist of Persona 5 quietly rides a train, getting off in Shibuya at the iconic, busy crosswalk. Time suddenly stops, a sign that his life is going to take a drastic turn.

With his glasses and shaggy, dark hair, some Japanese fans have nicknamed the Persona 5 protagonist "Potter."

Atlus has not confirmed a localization for Persona 5 yet. The game has been delayed from Winter 2014 to 2015 in Japan, but now the game has also been confirmed for PS4.

The official Persona 5 site has also been updated with a new image of one of the shackles on the row of chairs being broken. So far, much of the imagery surrounding the game has had a chain motif around the theme of slavery and emancipation.

Source: Atlus (YouTube)

hmmm... so?

am I the only one that sees this?

He looks like the Persona 3 Protagonist stole the Persona 4 Protagonist's glasses and forgot to get a haircut and no I don't really have a point here do I...

I hope they give this guy more character traits than the last two protagonists. While you got hints of personality in the dialogue choices they could make, they were far from fleshed out people. If they're gonna make him non-customizable (as it appears), they can at least make him more interesting.

This just makes me miss P3P even more. For all the improvements of P4Golden, I still view P3P as superior(aside from the ending) given it lets us pick the main char.

Persona 5 was planned for a holiday 2014 release? I thought it had always been holiday 2015. Anyway, I like the look of the protag. Can't wait to see more!

Soejima's art style is gorgeous, as always.

And as usual, Atlus serves as a lighthouse in the clusterfuck that is gaming's current state. Good to see that's not changing.

Look, it's the boy who lived.
All the Jokes about P5 right now is how he looks like Harry.. lol

Alright, a new Persona game! Dude looks like a lady, but I'm not complaining; I'm tired of the (hopefully dying) trend of grizzled guys dominating the protagonist place.

Looks good, I tried playing Persona 3 a while back, couldn't stand the music so I stopped playing pretty early on.

I heard Persona 4 was a lot better than 3 unfortunately I still haven't been able to play it, so just like 4, if Persona 5 has some a tolerable OST, I will definitely give it a go.

As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been confirmed this character is the protagonist, though do correct me if I'm wrong. It's also worth noting that the chain is only broken on the chair on the far right. If these chairs represent characters, then wouldn't the center chair most likely be the protagonist? It's possible Atlus will release trailers showing different core characters from now until TGS and then show the protagonist (and thus break the chain on the middle chair) during TGS.

That's just speculation though, but I might have something to back it up. When P4 Arena 2 was released, a new character named Sho was released. People went digging through the game files and found that the character data in game labelled Sho as "P5HERO". Image below.

But yeah, no one from Atlus or Sony has come out and said this character is the protagonist. I think people might be jumping the gun simply because he's the first new character we've seen.

Also Persona 5 was confirmed for localisation some months ago. Here's the Atlus USA website. http://www.atlus.com/persona5/

GZGoten:
hmmm... so?

I was thinking more along the lines of this.

Oh look, a Persona 5 article only about 48hours after the rest of the internet heard about it.

ZiggyE:
As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been confirmed this character is the protagonist, though do correct me if I'm wrong. It's also worth noting that the chain is only broken on the chair on the far right. If these chairs represent characters, then wouldn't the center chair most likely be the protagonist? It's possible Atlus will release trailers showing different core characters from now until TGS and then show the protagonist (and thus break the chain on the middle chair) during TGS.

That's just speculation though, but I might have something to back it up. When P4 Arena 2 was released, a new character named Sho was released. People went digging through the game files and found that the character data in game labelled Sho as "P5HERO". Image below.

But yeah, no one from Atlus or Sony has come out and said this character is the protagonist. I think people might be jumping the gun simply because he's the first new character we've seen.

Also Persona 5 was confirmed for localisation some months ago. Here's the Atlus USA website. http://www.atlus.com/persona5/

This is what I was thinking. I'm still holding out for a female protagonist. I think after 5 games with male leads (Persona 3 Portable isn't canon, unfortunately) that the Persona series is finally due for a canon FeMC.

VanQ:

ZiggyE:

This is what I was thinking. I'm still holding out for a female protagonist. I think after 5 games with male leads (Persona 3 Portable isn't canon, unfortunately) that the Persona series is finally due for a canon FeMC.

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. The core demographic that the Persona games appeal to in Japan is male.

Also, there was one Persona game with a canon female protagonist. Maya was the protagonist of P2EP.

ZiggyE:

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. The core demographic the Persona games appeal to in Japan is male.

Also, there was one Persona game with a canon female protagonist. Maya was the protagonist of P2EP.

Oh, I'm well aware that it's highly unlikely. It's still nice to dream. And you're right. I forgot about Maya because I haven't actually played Eternal Punishment since my modded PS1 broke. Ironically, my original PSX still works though it's unmodded so I can't play EP on it. Still, that console has outlasted every single console that came after it.

VanQ:

ZiggyE:

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. The core demographic the Persona games appeal to in Japan is male.

Oh, I'm well aware that it's highly unlikely. It's still nice to dream. And you're right. I forgot about Maya because I haven't actually played Eternal Punishment since my modded PS1 broke. Ironically, my original PSX still works though it's unmodded so I can't play EP on it. Still, that console has outlasted every single console that came after it.

if you have a PS3 or a vita, Eternal Punishment is for sale on the PSN, although it's, sadly, the original PS1 version, rather than the PSP remaster. :/

Irridium:

GZGoten:
hmmm... so?

Holly hell! And considering that Vincent was in P3P (I think)... This may actually be true.

Ah, I see Japan has finally upgraded to smart phones. I don't know why, but it always threw me off in p3 and p4 when they whipped out flip phones (even though those games came out in 2007 and 2009)

PoolCleaningRobot:
Ah, I see Japan has finally upgraded to smart phones. I don't know why, but it always threw me off in p3 and p4 when they whipped out flip phones (even though those games came out in 2007 and 2009)

Flip phones were really popular in Japan back then, apparently.

ZiggyE:

PoolCleaningRobot:

Flip phones were really popular in Japan back then, apparently.

I read they were so popular in some Asian countries, Samsung released a flip phone with a quad core processor. Its a culture thing, but seeing teenagers with flip phones in modern times weirds me out. Its like if they used floppy disks instead of flashdrives

I really hope this is one of several characters and not the MC. I like the idea that since it is a side chain that is broken on the website, it will be a series of characters shown leading to the actual MC in time. Atlus likes to throw little twists and traps to the fans, and this falls perfectly in line with that.

If the MC ends up being the character from arena, fine, though in this day and age I'd prefer to see them get away from their old school "main character protag is a blank no-personality shell you cannot really customize". I'd still be ok with not having said customization, but dangit.. with DLC and microtransactions why wouldn't you? :) Atlus seems to love doing reskins as a way to generate content/money quickly and cheaply so I would have expected no less with P5, the most anticipated game of their roster.

Not sure how I should feel knowing that our SMT user group had this news covered a day before the official site got round to it. Still, Neon's always on his shit whenever any updates occur so maybe it's a case of just him being an awesome group owner.

Oh and i'll be stealing this from the SMT user group since it's complete genius

Minato cares not for your broomstick rules.

He looks... Ordinary.
Then again, he's supposed to be a high school student.

I mean, really? We're really doing this? Talking about the human characters in an SMT game? The whole wide world of fucked up monster designs by the Japanese H.R. Giger known as Kazuma Kaneko... And we're talking about the ordinary human school-going teenager.

I'll stick to discussing *real* character design, like the green chariot-riding penis known as Mara, thank you very much.

PoolCleaningRobot:

They came out a year earlier in Japan, so it's not surprising that they didn't have smartphones when the iPhone only came out a year after Persona 3, and Persona 4 was only a year after the original iPhone. Until then smartphones were little more than useless pieces of shit, as much as I don't like Apple and am loathe to admit it.

Arqus_Zed:
He looks... Ordinary.

I mean, really? We're really doing this? Talking about the human characters in an SMT game? The whole wide world of fucked up monster designs by the Japanese H.R. Giger known as Kazuma Kaneko... And we're talking about the ordinary human school-going teenager.

I'll stick to discussing *real* character design, like the green chariot-riding penis known as Mara, thank you very much.

Err... this is Persona, a spin-off series of the main SMT games. You can summon the likes of Mara in the Persona series, but Persona is a lot more focused on human characters than the monsters (Personas) you can summon in-game. Considering that every Persona game had you playing as ordinary human school-going teenagers, and that P3 and P4 had a focus on Social Links, which had you socially interacting with other ordinary human characters (and a fox), I would say that is why there's discussion about a human character in a Persona game.

*whine* I don't want to wait.
Goddammit, where's Doc Brown when you need him?

RaisingDead:

Arqus_Zed:
He looks... Ordinary.

Err... this is Persona, a spin-off series of the main SMT games. You can summon the likes of Mara in the Persona series, but Persona is a lot more focused on human characters than the monsters (Personas) you can summon in-game. Considering that every Persona game had you playing as ordinary human school-going teenagers, and that P3 and P4 had a focus on Social Links, which had you socially interacting with other ordinary human characters (and a fox), I would say that is why there's discussion about a human character in a Persona game.

I...

It was... It was a joke.

I would have thought the cynically snobbish "green penis" remark would've been enough of a hint.

Anyway, yeah, I know what Persona is, I know it's a spin-off, but like a lot of people I still consider it a part of the Megaten series, just like Devil Summoner, Majin Tensei, DemiKids, Last Bible, DDS, Ronde, etc. Seeing as how the (Shin) Megami Tensei series has way more spin-offs than main installments, it's just easier this way. Hell, a lot of the spin-offs still appear with "Shin Megami Tensei" or the SMT logo still on the box, sometimes even in the title. Trust me, I've started with Lucifer's Call (the first SMT title to be released over here) and subsequently hunted down every game of the series starting from the 5th gen consoles that had an english version (thank you imported PS2), so I'm no stranger to the franchise :-)

Irridium:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

*Begins rocking back and forth while mumbling to himself*

Can't sleep... The sheep are going to get me... Can't sleep... The sheep are going to get me...

OT:

At last, a sign of good fortune on the horizon! I can't wait!

The Wykydtron:
snip

That was awesome. I nearly burst out laughing

OT: Did anyone actually still think that P5 would come out in 2014? I had given up on that months ago

I think I read a rumour somewhere that the developers were planning to have a "more realistic" art style for P5. I was afraid they were aiming for photorealism or something. Nice to know the game is as lovingly anime as ever.

Well, now I'll have something when I'm done with Dragon Age Inquisition.

And Man:

The Wykydtron:
snip

That was awesome. I nearly burst out laughing

OT: Did anyone actually still think that P5 would come out in 2014? I had given up on that months ago

The quick Elisabeth in the library and the broomstick to Mass Destruction were my highlights. I wish I knew who that character is in the "troll in the dungeon" bit, that looks like it's a killer in-joke.

More seriously, i'm glad they finally stopped with the Persona 4 spin-offs (aside from Arena anyway, sequel that as much as you like, i'm down for another godlike Yosuke Route and more Labrys) and started on the Persona 3 spin-offs instead and actually y'know made a proper Persona 5? I mean i'm a big Persona 4 fan, i've even called it perfect but you know that adding to something perfect risks hurting it, right Atlus? Right?

To one-up you, i'm not really counting on Persona 5 coming out in 2015 over here in the EU, Atlus' current reputation with EU release dates being what they are. I seriously hope they've stopped region locking the NA copies like ArcSys apparently did with BlazBlue Chronophantasma. If one niche, quirky, anime-esque Japanese game developer finally stopped that shit I can hope another follows suit.

Oh and I need to get a PS4 because the Japanese game devs have all been bought out by Sony by the looks of it and I have a feeling the PS3 edition will be sub-par considering how much emphasis they have with the next-gen. For some reason i'm picturing Bayonetta's PS3 edition...

You had to load the pause menu! What?!

I'm actually really pumped that this is coming out for PS4, finally starting to justify owning that system a little.. I mean sure I don't think it'll make a world of difference but at least I can start building up my library.

I can't wait to play this!

I was kind of hoping it would end with "Welcome to the Velvet Room" even if it would be in Japanese.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here