YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

YouTube's biggest gaming star disables comments, says it's for good

YouTube comments (and whether or not to read them) are one of the most hotly contested topics on the internet, particularly in the gaming sphere, with endless debates raging about freedom of speech versus availability of platforms versus the desire to manage one's own channel. But Felix Kjellberg, better known as YouTube video game superstar "PewDiePie," is apparently done arguing: He's turning his comments off.

In a brief video message to his fans (also touching on his feelings about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge), Kjellberg explains that he feels that the YouTube comments on his videos are no longer fostering the kind of interactions he'd prefer to have with his fans, and that he prefers the responses he gets via social media. The decision, he says, is apparently final.

Recently profiled in The Wall Street Journal, PewDiePie is far and away YouTube's biggest gaming star. His videos, which predominantly involve Kjellberg playing video games and reacting to them in often comical ways, are said to earn him $4 million a year.

Source: PewDiePie

[insert a ****load of jokes about how the comments at least are more intelligen than his videos]

Popular or not, it's his videos and his right to not foster a bunch of asses who say bad shit that lead to this in the first place.

Boo. Farking. Hoo. From what few videos of his I've seen, Youtube comments happened to be more entertaining than the posted videos...

Queen Michael:
[insert a ****load of jokes about how the comments at least are more intelligen than his videos]

My gods, I've been ninja'd.

$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.

I'd wish he'd turn off his comments. Har har.

i have no problem with this, it's his channel, he can choose all or nothing.

the fact that he has fans is baffling to me.

Well, I can say Pewdiepie did tell me somewhat what ALS is. Thought it was a stupid thing, but now I understand what it's about at least.

And yeah, I don't think I would like his videos just from the stuff I see here. If he's serious, he's kind of cool though.

Ah well, Life as usual for me. Never really watched the guy anyway.

Also, about youtube comments. When I read them, they tend to go off on tangents really quickly that don't relate to the video. I guess there's a reason why they're called youtube comments nowadays...

Queen Michael:

Came in here to say that. PDP is free to make his own choices about his own channel, and he is very correct that youtube comments are a toxic waste dump, but it's not exactly as though he himself is a shining example of quality, non-toxic commentary.

NoAccountNeeded:
I'd wish he'd turn off his comments. Har har.

What comments? He just makes random noises.

Me55enger:
$4 million a year.

A. Year.

It is truly mind boggling. My mind has been boggled.

Its his channel. He can do as he see best. If i did youtube videos I would disable comments because comments would be my responsiblity to moderate

At least they're more inte-

Queen Michael:

Awww, well now it's no fun.

Seriously though, as much as I'm not a fan, it's a good move. YouTube comments are a terrible place to have discussion and get feedback at the best of times, Christ knows what it must've been like on his videos.

Me55enger:
$4 million a year.

A. Year.

I don't particularly trust those numbers because the WSJ tends to go high on their estimates, Youtube's monetization process changes fairly rapidly, and his channel has only been around 4 years and experienced large shifts in numbers of viewers each year. I don't doubt that he makes a bucket of money now, but his career is short enough and unstable enough that it's hard to boil it down to a simple accurate annual amount.

OT: I've always thought that it was strange that he didn't have his own website where he could get 100% of the profits and store his videos without potential future interference from Youtube. The fact that a dedicated website is much better at attracting fans and positive messages is just icing on top.

PewDiePie is a persona and a character. He has that irritating energy level to appeal to his watches who are usually early to mid teens. I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.

From what I've heard from everyone who has interacted with him in real life he is actually very pleasant and humble. Being mad at PewDiePie is like being mad at teeny pop music. He's simply serving an audience you are not part of.

I'm not surprised. Yogscast did it, Totalbiscuit did it and NerdCubed not only did it but even asked his fan-base about whether it should return to a resounding "No."

Between the constant arguments, people whoring their channels and other stupid things like ASCII crap or posting some novel to show why Google+ Comments are bad, there's literally nothing lost as far as the comments being off goes.

Late news is late (it was three days ago when it was uploaded).

Either way it make sense for him to turn it off since it will be less hassle for him and for the haters to no longer post on it althought they will find elsewhere to make hateful comments.

come on, its a week day, there's got to be better news then this. we know googles comment algorithm sucks and promotes rudeness and crass......there's got to be better news to comment about XP

Wow that video was really kind of an emotional rollercoaster.

At first I thought he was kinda a dick, because I don't really like PewDiePie. Then it seemed that when he's not overreacting/acting and trying to be funny he actually seems like an alright guy. Then he explained that he turned them off basically because people aren't telling him they like him enough. So right back to dick territory.

I'm not saying that youtube comments are a grand gathering of intellectuals or anything, but having your fans have virtually no input or place for discussion sucks.

All comments should be turned off. We should go back to sites hosting their own forums. Too many trolls. Too many shills. Too many voices that have no basis in fact. Too much spam. 4chan, Fark and Reddit is where most of the stuff posted in all comment sections should be kept.

Great, not all hate letters and comments will be directly sent to e-mails, facebook, twitter, ect. I am not defending this guy. Far from it, I think he's garbage and refuse to even watch anything of his directly to avoid giving him money. I've seen things indirectly from other sources, and can see just how horrible it is. I'm just saying that the hate comments will find their way. And it will put a damper on those who were actual fans.

he makes 4 million a year? 0__0

I don't care if you hate or love him, that amount of dough is not easy to make in a lifetime let alone a year. If all the other posts are anything to go by is that Pewd's is a GENIUS because despite how horribly god awful he is (according to the posters above.below me) he can still accumulate enough views to make 4 MILLION a year! I will go subscribe right now and learn what I must do to make that amount of money, but unlike him I won't do it for love of video games, screw that, it's all for that sweet, sweet MONEY!

To be fair, Pewdiepie is not my favourite by far, I have similar opinions to quite a few people in the thread above.

BUT

I have to admit that while he was talking about ALS, I honestly have to agree with him on his opinion there. I really think him just giving the money and spending the time to actually give some info about the actual disease, however little he spoke about it, was pretty impressive on his part. He could have thrown a bucket on his head and everyone laugh, but he used his influence for something better than that, I have to give him some credit. So putting all the thoughts I have for his persona, whether or not he 'deserves' the money he makes, or what have you... etc.

What he did for ALS research was rather touching and admirable.

Karavision:
All comments should be turned off. We should go back to sites hosting their own forums. Too many trolls. Too many shills. Too many voices that have no basis in fact. Too much spam. 4chan, Fark and Reddit is where most of the stuff posted in all comment sections should be kept.

Too bad this'll never happen, because content creators long ago discovered that having comments makes people go back to articles again and again to read comments, post comments, Like comments, upvote comments, downvote comments, argue, and otherwise waste their precious fleeting time on this earth. And each time they go back or f5 or whatever, that's another pageview, and another few cents of ad revenue. Comments sections or articles are a cynical cashgrab and I would gladly see them go away forever.

And yes, I am aware of the irony in my posting this in the comment section of an article.

GZGoten:

I don't care if you hate or love him, that amount of dough is not easy to make in a lifetime let alone a year. If all the other posts are anything to go by is that Pewd's is a GENIUS because despite how horribly god awful he is (according to the posters above.below me) he can still accumulate enough views to make 4 MILLION a year! I will go subscribe right now and learn what I must do to make that amount of money, but unlike him I won't do it for love of video games, screw that, it's all for that sweet, sweet MONEY!

It is kind of hard to understand how he makes that much money when nearly every single comment on this article is about how terrible he is. One gets the feeling that no one likes him and everyone takes joy in saying how much he sucks and...oh, I think I see why he turned the comments off. Youtube is so much worse than other websites.

I've never heard of the guy, but four million dollars a year is nothing to laugh at. I with I could have just one forth of that.

From the guy that has videos were he screams like a wounded seal about raping and not wanting to be raped by a pig!

Game Grumps don't have to turn off comments, and the most annoying thing they get is people talking about jontron.

This just in, kid takes ball, leaves playground.

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.

Well that was certainly better than the first video of his I saw (his channel montage thing).

He actually seems like a pretty cool guy, capable of actually communicating through means of the English language rather than his stupid shouting yelling screaming nonsense. And he actually knows what ALS is which is always nice to see.

More on topic I'm surprised he hadn't made this decision earlier, seeing as he most likely gets millions of off topic or hateful comments every week.

It would probably drive him insane to try and make any kind of sense of his comments sections for too long.

-Ezio-:

Hey, uh, internet? Please stop acting shocked when it turns out people have different tastes. You've grown up with humanity, you've seen it in action, please stop acting like this is some kind of insane new discovery.

Racecarlock:

-Ezio-:

Hey, uh, internet? Please stop acting shocked when it turns out people have different tastes. You've grown up with humanity, you've seen it in action, please stop acting like this is some kind of insane new discovery.

oh shit sorry. i thought forums like this were for expressing your opinion. my mistake.

Sniper Team 4:

GZGoten:

It is kind of hard to understand how he makes that much money when nearly every single comment on this article is about how terrible he is. One gets the feeling that no one likes him and everyone takes joy in saying how much he sucks and...oh, I think I see why he turned the comments off. Youtube is so much worse than other websites.

I've never heard of the guy, but four million dollars a year is nothing to laugh at. I with I could have just one forth of that.

Even the people bad mouthing him make him money.

anonymity88:

Me55enger:
$4 million a year.

A. Year.

It is truly mind boggling. My mind has been boggled.

More mind blowing and confusing than any Metal Gear Solid game's plot. I mean even the huge plot twists of Metal Gear Solid 2 can't compare to someone making 4 million dollars per year just by being funny while playing games. If that's all it takes to be a millionaire in today's world then fuck it, nuke the planet, let's start over. Invent a time machine that only goes forward and let's go around again.

-Ezio-:

Racecarlock:

-Ezio-:

oh shit sorry. i thought forums like this were for expressing your opinion. my mistake.

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be challenged. That's how freedom of speech works. I can use my freedom of speech to challenge your speech which you had the freedom to make.

I knew he was popular... but 4 million USD a year on average? Holy shit.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here