Elder Scrolls Online Team Hit With Layoffs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Elder Scrolls Online Team Hit With Layoffs

screen 7 embed

Despite the layoffs, Bethesda stresses that it still intends to "invest heavily" in the future of The Elder Scrolls Online

Zenimax Online Studios, the studio behind Bethesda Softwork's Elder Scrolls MMO, The Elder Scrolls Online, has just been hit with a round of layoffs. But, before you rush off to ebay your deprecating Elder Scrolls Online character, Bethesda did stress that despite the layoffs, it still intends to "invest heavily" in the game's future.

"As is the norm for games of this type, we had ramped up a large workforce to develop a game of vast scale, and ramped up our customer service to handle the expected questions and community needs of The Elder Scrolls Online at launch," Bethesda VP of PR and Marketing Pete Hines told Joystiq.

"Now that we are nearly 6 months post launch, we have a thriving online community in a game that runs smoothly," Hines continued, stating that the studio has adjusted staffing to meet the ongoing needs and continues to operate with a large work force.

"We remain strongly committed to The Elder Scrolls Online, and continue to invest heavily to develop new content for PC players, prepare the game for its console launch, and handle our planned expansion into important international territories. As for customer service, we continue to operate large support centers in Hunt Valley, MD and Galway, Ireland," he stressed.

Source: Joystiq

I was just reading the Joystiq article. Why did Bethesda go to them? Why not Gamespot? Or anyone else?

Anyway, OT: I really wanted to try and give ESO a go, but I can't bring myself to. All I hear is bad things, with perhaps a splashing of meh. While I know lay offs after launch and people being reassigned to different areas of a large company when they aren't needed on the scale they were during design and production, is totally normal, I can't help but feel... Less than confident. That they go out of their way to stress customer service at the end of their statement just reminds me of the countless threads I've seen shitting on it.

Ah well. Maybe one day, Bethesda. But you're pretty low on the list.

Give it another could months and it'll be what it was always destined to be: just another failed MMO. I don't think we can even blame WoW anymore since it's been bleeding subscriptions quite profusely for a while now. At this point the MMO's that are coming out are just bad games.

Hm, that's strange.I seem to be hearing Queen playing in the baground.

Hopefully this is not some kind of domino falling preparing for the end for ESO, it's a nice little game, not as amazing, innovative, or awesome as they'd want you to believe it's no wow killer but people need to stop trying to build a wow killer and offer something different. I played the beta and I never subscribed because it's fun but not real fun. however I want this game to succeed I mean lots of MMOs change drastically in their first year. so it'd be nice to see this thing get a chance to become something rather than wither in the first stretch.

Last time I checked, their online community was a little far from "thriving".

Good luck with it anyway, Bethesda.

Rocket Girl:
I was just reading the Joystiq article. Why did Bethesda go to them? Why not Gamespot? Or anyone else?

Anyway, OT: I really wanted to try and give ESO a go, but I can't bring myself to. All I hear is bad things, with perhaps a splashing of meh. While I know lay offs after launch and people being reassigned to different areas of a large company when they aren't needed on the scale they were during design and production, is totally normal, I can't help but feel... Less than confident. That they go out of their way to stress customer service at the end of their statement just reminds me of the countless threads I've seen shitting on it.

Ah well. Maybe one day, Bethesda. But you're pretty low on the list.

It's come a LONG way since launch. I've been playing it for more or less the past 4 months and all of the major bugs are fixed, the bots are gone, the combat is more responsive and less glitchy, and the new content is exciting. And they announced a ton of awesome-looking features that are coming up like a justice system (thieves guild and dark brotherhood included), spell crafting, a giant PVP dungeon within the ruins of the Imperial City, and several other cool sounding things. There's also still a lot of people playing it in almost all zones from my experience.

The game is far from perfect, but it's gotten a lot better since its rough launch.

If you're not turned off by the idea of paying a subscription, I'd actually say that now is a pretty good time to jump in. You can buy the base game for pretty cheap on Amazon, and there's IMO more than enough content to play for months if you don't play it like you'd play a normal MMO and rush to endgame. IMO it's definitely worth buying a cheap version from amazon and giving it a go. The first month is free and you could fit in a ton of playtime in that month to find out whether it's for you or not.

Whatislove:
Last time I checked, their online community was a little far from "thriving".

Good luck with it anyway, Bethesda.

I have no idea where you heard this from, but I've been playing ESO until the end of August ( my GF and I are taking a break from the game for a month or two, but not because of anything to do with the game) and there's still highly populated areas in all zones during prime hours. It's hard to gauge how many are playing because of the megaserver technology, but I've never had problems of over OR underpopulation in all my playtime (about 200 hours)

Nothing spells long term success like firing the people that will make content for your MMO but you're still going to throw lots of money at it.

Scorpid:
Nothing spells long term success like firing the people that will make content for your MMO but you're still going to throw lots of money at it.

Or you know, maybe they're letting go of support staff and the bot banning crew now that they're no longer needed. The article never says what kind or how many people got let go, so it could mean only a handful of redundant positions got cancelled. I wouldn't go all doomsday preachy yet until more info surfaces.

nightmare_gorilla:
Hopefully this is not some kind of domino falling preparing for the end for ESO, it's a nice little game, not as amazing, innovative, or awesome as they'd want you to believe it's no wow killer but people need to stop trying to build a wow killer and offer something different. I played the beta and I never subscribed because it's fun but not real fun. however I want this game to succeed I mean lots of MMOs change drastically in their first year. so it'd be nice to see this thing get a chance to become something rather than wither in the first stretch.

ESO isn't trying to be a WOW killer. It's doing it's own thing. I don't understand why so many compare ESO to WOW. It's a completely different game with a completely different focus. ESO is focused on good quests, stories and exploration, and large scale, open world 3 way siege PVP. WoW is focused on raids and small scale 2 faction PVP.

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:

Or you know, maybe they're letting go of support staff and the bot banning crew now that they're no longer needed. The article never says what kind or how many people got let go, so it could mean only a handful of redundant positions got cancelled. I wouldn't go all doomsday preachy yet until more info surfaces.

This seems to be the default position for a lot in the Escapist forums. Any sign that the game might not be doing as well, or just standard business as usual post-launch wind-down and immediately people here jump to "I told ya so! That game sucks! 1 week until F2P!" It gets really tiresome for what is otherwise a great forum community. I still play the game for hours every day, still enjoy it. I have 2 veteran characters now, one of which I've been spending some extensive time in PvP since the servers were reshuffled. I have a nightblade in waiting for when the justice system, thieves, and assassins guilds are introduced, which have been previewed and are definitely coming, along with pvp within the Imperial city, currently heavily guarded by daedra. I'm in multiple guilds that have 50+ active members each during peak hours. So contrary to the naysayers, the game is far far from dying or simply dropping to F2P, sorry to disappoint everyone.

Remus:

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:

This seems to be the default position for a lot in the Escapist forums. Any sign that the game might not be doing as well, or just standard business as usual post-launch wind-down and immediately people here jump to "I told ya so! That game sucks! 1 week until F2P!" It gets really tiresome for what is otherwise a great forum community. I still play the game for hours every day, still enjoy it. I have 2 veteran characters now, one of which I've been spending some extensive time in PvP since the servers were reshuffled. I have a nightblade in waiting for when the justice system, thieves, and assassins guilds are introduced, which have been previewed and are definitely coming, along with pvp within the Imperial city, currently heavily guarded by daedra. I'm in multiple guilds that have 50+ active members each during peak hours. So contrary to the naysayers, the game is far far from dying or simply dropping to F2P, sorry to disappoint everyone.

It's not just the Escapist that falls victim to it. The ESO subreddit is kind of freaking out right now too and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit concerned by the news too. It's just too soon to tell though since not enough details are out yet.

I agree that the game seems healthy from what I've seen of it. My gf and I are taking a little break (we wanted to play Divinity: Original Sin and some other games together and then go back) but we've both had a great time together playing it.

Understandable I guess. If workers are just sitting around doing practically nothing then there's no point in paying them.

Still waiting on a price drop though Zenimax. I can't justify dropping 50 ($82) on it and also keep paying a monthly subscription fee of 9 ($15). The Elder Scrolls franchise just isn't worth that much to me. I'm happy to just play Skyrim. It cost me either 10 or 15 for the game and all the DLC and I get all the mods I want for free.

CardinalPiggles:
Understandable I guess. If workers are just sitting around doing practically nothing then there's no point in paying them.

Still waiting on a price drop though Zenimax. I can't justify dropping 50 ($82) on it and also keep paying a monthly subscription fee of 9 ($15). The Elder Scrolls franchise just isn't worth that much to me. I'm happy to just play Skyrim. It cost me either 10 or 15 for the game and all the DLC and I get all the mods I want for free.

The game is 28 bucks on amazon right now and you can find it as low as 15 bucks if you keep looking.
I recommend a try, there are 30 days with the initial purchase and it was a good game a few months ago and is even better now.
If you pay 30 bucks and play 30 days you got more playtime out of it than out of most games in the end.

From what I gathered ESO was a big mess. People mining dungeons for loot drops preventing other players from succeeding, you can't help people on missions you've completed, and a whole host of other issues. what is the point of ESO if it's single player skyrim with people that occasionally get in the way of your progress because they kill the damn boss before you get there.

I like FF14's approach. You have a party that goes through an instance of a dungeon together and each class has x% chance to roll and win loot (both need and greed). you have fate's which are pretty much like large scale boss battles in some instances and you can generally get in and still get a gold or silver medal (mostly gold for me). There is enough ways to make gill/gold and you get a chocobo regardless (i think you still need to shell out money for the horse but I could be wrong). anyway, I wouldn't be sad to see it go. Bethesda should stick to single player until it works out the mechanics behind a good MMO.

I don't understand the hate. It is a great game. And the number of people playing it is still way up there. Any level area is crawling with people. And you have loads of stuff to keep you busy after your reach VR12. Its a great game. I wonder if a lot of people who are bashing on it have actually played it?

News like this just make those vultures circling around this, shouting "free-2-play!", more excited...

Step 1. Remove resources from game
Step 2. Tell people you're going to 'invest heavily' in game
Yeah, I don't know how that works out.

I am not going to say this is "doom and gloom" for Elder Scrolls Online, that would be my getting an email with "Please, please, please come back here is a discount if you do" email. What I am thinking is that the game isn't as successful as they anticipated and have to cut back on support staff because they aren't needed.

For me I probably won't go back to the game because of the bad first impression it left on me for it felt like a MMO that was punishing me for wanting to group with friends.

Now of course even if they do eventually go "free-to-play" there might be a turn around financially like The Old Republic which in 2013 was the fourth highest grossing MMO (behind WoW, Lineage 1, and Tera: Online).

Hiramas:

CardinalPiggles:

The game is 28 bucks on amazon right now and you can find it as low as 15 bucks if you keep looking.
I recommend a try, there are 30 days with the initial purchase and it was a good game a few months ago and is even better now.
If you pay 30 bucks and play 30 days you got more playtime out of it than out of most games in the end.

Just checked and you're right, it's only 15 ($24) on Amazon.

But the subscription thing still bugs me. If I want to get invested* in that game it's gonna cost me 9 a month. And from what I've heard it's another fairly generic MMO.

*Seriously why would you play an Elder Scrolls game without wanting to get invested.

ESO was a terrible attempt to make money by blanketing a generic MMO with a bit of an TES tinge to it, invented because they couldnt figure out how to make people pay sub fees for Skyrim. I hope it dies and burns in the bad-MMO layer of the hells where it belongs.

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:

nightmare_gorilla:

ESO isn't trying to be a WOW killer. It's doing it's own thing. I don't understand why so many compare ESO to WOW. It's a completely different game with a completely different focus. ESO is focused on good quests, stories and exploration, and large scale, open world 3 way siege PVP. WoW is focused on raids and small scale 2 faction PVP.

Probably stems from them copying the faction system and then locking people to said factions like WoW did. If it has hardlocked factions then it's pretty much always instantly compared to WoW from what I've seen. Plus people usually will compare it to whatever is currently biggest regardless I've experienced. Probably because it's easier to use for such a thing than say a random mmo thats obscure.

My only problems with it was that the char gen isn't up to Skyrims standards, the hardlocked factions and zones making cross-faction RP difficult without griefers jumping you(due to only cyrodiil being available), cyrodiil being turned into a pvp zone and the imperial city being a crappy instance.

RJ 17:
Give it another could months and it'll be what it was always destined to be: just another failed MMO. I don't think we can even blame WoW anymore since it's been bleeding subscriptions quite profusely for a while now. At this point the MMO's that are coming out are just bad games.

I wouldn't say the MMO's coming out are bad games (well, I would since I'm not a fan of MMO's, and most of them are incredibly poorly designed as actual games. WoW included. But that's not the point), it's that there are more than enough free ones that are just as interesting and well made as the subscription ones. And they're all making more money as F2P titles than they did using subscriptions.

Subscription MMO's is just a dead/dying business model. It's on it's last legs with the franchises that are established enough to get by on name recognition, and dead for everything else. Any company making a new MMO that banks on subscriptions making them money is just delusional.

Sight Unseen:

WoW killer is probably the wrong term, but at this point, anything that still relies on subscriptions is either niche enough, and lean enough in development costs to make it (Eve Online), or it's trying to replicate the success that WoW had because their peak user base plus $15/month equals a license to print money.

But subscriptions are gradually dying off, and not without good reason. You can play any number of F2P MMO's now that are earning their keep that way, and are just as good/bad as any of the big boys depending on your taste for MMO's. It's remarkable that companies still try and follow that WoW model, even when their falling subscription numbers show they can't sustain it anymore either.

Did they final move the EU server to EU? I left the game after about 40 days, but was still reading on the differnt guild forum I was menber of, to see if any of the updates made it better, when they told they where not moving the server yet, 2 EU guild I was following went from 40-60 menbers on each night to be less then 10 online over about 2 weeks time.

ESO want to be an action mmo, but combat/controls react to slow, or did.
ESO want to give people freedom to build builds and classes they way, but then makes the game so if you dont use a good build and gear, you are ******.

ESO problem was that it try to be for the hardcores, the people that wanted a hard game, the people that wanted hardcore raiding, only 2 problems: first, not all that asks for this, actual knows what they are asking for, or they idea of this is WoW's hardcore raid standarts, the last one is, that those people that wants and knows what they ask for, is such a small group that you can't make enouge money to keep a server system a game like ESO needs running.

Yeeeeeeah.... at this point, this game is fizzling more than a Monster Energy drink. Thats a shame, too, because I was REALLY interested in it at one point. Once they finally launch it on consoles, which I now have serious doubts too, I am seriously doubting that I will be picking this up now.

AwesomeDave:
ESO was a terrible attempt to make money by blanketing a generic MMO with a bit of an TES tinge to it, invented because they couldnt figure out how to make people pay sub fees for Skyrim. I hope it dies and burns in the bad-MMO layer of the hells where it belongs.

You've obviously never played it if you honestly believe that...

MegaGame:
Did they final move the EU server to EU? I left the game after about 40 days, but was still reading on the differnt guild forum I was menber of, to see if any of the updates made it better, when they told they where not moving the server yet, 2 EU guild I was following went from 40-60 menbers on each night to be less then 10 online over about 2 weeks time.

ESO want to be an action mmo, but combat/controls react to slow, or did.
ESO want to give people freedom to build builds and classes they way, but then makes the game so if you dont use a good build and gear, you are ******.

ESO problem was that it try to be for the hardcores, the people that wanted a hard game, the people that wanted hardcore raiding, only 2 problems: first, not all that asks for this, actual knows what they are asking for, or they idea of this is WoW's hardcore raid standarts, the last one is, that those people that wants and knows what they ask for, is such a small group that you can't make enouge money to keep a server system a game like ESO needs running.

A few things to respond for you:

1. The EU server has finally moved to the EU as of last month, thankfully
2.They've improved the responsiveness of combat quite drastically. They've made weapon swapping smoother and more reliable, and added some more impact and visual cues for several abilities.
3. Any build can be viable to play for fun. I'm playing one character as a battlemage with a 2h sword and light armor, and a nightblade with a restoration staff... But if you want to play the competitive way, then OBVIOUSLY people will theorycraft it to death and find the combinations that give the most DPS/HPS and go with those builds. A game with as much class variety and build variety as ESO would be impossible to make everything equally viable, and why should it be? I play fairly casually and I do just fine with my strange and unconventional builds. I don't care what the top 1% are doing.

This game is fine for both casuals and hardcores alike. I'd actually say that the game is MORE catered to casuals because the leveling content is so awesome. The HARDCORE players all skip that and grind to VR 14 in a week to get to the "real game".

I'll stick with my awesome quest stories and beautiful zones TYVM.

Riff Moonraker:
Yeeeeeeah.... at this point, this game is fizzling more than a Monster Energy drink. Thats a shame, too, because I was REALLY interested in it at one point. Once they finally launch it on consoles, which I now have serious doubts too, I am seriously doubting that I will be picking this up now.

Confirmation bias is a bitch. That seems to be what most the naysayers are relying on here. It's a good game and well worth trying out to see for yourself. Especially if you can buy it cheap on amazon or elsewhere.

At the end of the day they really only delivered a game that maybe a third of their fan base wanted. The PvP siege stuff makes it a nice targeted niche game. But for the actual Elder Scrolls fans or PvE MMO fans, it is at best meh, and for many pointlessly painful. They tried to serve too many masters in too many ways. I see the reduction of staff more as a retrenching of expectations. They may not be failing miserably, but they most certainly not succeeding even up to their least optimistic expectations.

Personally TESO was one of my more painful MMO experiences. Nothing about the game worked for me. I found it to be exceedingly unpolished and unrefined at launch day. I doubt if they could have patched in most of what was needed. like fun.

Funny. I hear from people who pop in from time to time that many bugs and issues since beta are still present, and there are still character rollbacks and exploits in PvP.

That doesn't sound so smooth to me. And throughout my time there, customer support was non existent. Like, literally. I never got to talk to anyone, half of my tickets went ignored (most were very constructive actual reports) and I never saw any employee post on the forum other than to warn someone who was ranting a little to hard.

I have no doubt the game will be around for awhile. I so wanted to enjoy it and still be playing it today, but there were too many major issues that were just left in there for way too damned long. Sorry, I'm not going to pay you to do your job at the pace of a drunken snail on a treadmill.

BoogieManFL:
Funny. I hear from people who pop in from time to time that many bugs and issues since beta are still present, and there are still character rollbacks and exploits in PvP.

That doesn't sound so smooth to me. And throughout my time there, customer support was non existent. Like, literally. I never got to talk to anyone, half of my tickets went ignored (most were very constructive actual reports) and I never saw any employee post on the forum other than to warn someone who was ranting a little to hard.

I think you about summed up the majority of every opinion I've encountered. Well, you missed out boring gameplay.

The worst thing ESO did was set back the release date for another actual Elder Scrolls game. It will be a while before they try the brand again, with ESO having stunk it up so heavily.

Sight Unseen:

Riff Moonraker:

Confirmation bias is a bitch. That seems to be what most the naysayers are relying on here. It's a good game and well worth trying out to see for yourself. Especially if you can buy it cheap on amazon or elsewhere.

Perhaps, but at this point what was a definite sell for me, has become a complete variable. Most of the word of mouth I am hearing doesnt bode well, which makes me want to investigate it further before I spend my money. Even more of a concern now is WHEN it comes out, which we still dont know yet, and what other games will be out at that time. Also, if I am going to have to pay $15 a month then it had best knock my socks off, or forget it. Trust me, I never let people make my decisions for me, but when you have this much noise about something, you would do well to at least investigate before strolling into something blindly.

I keep forgetting that this game even came out. Probably not a good sign.

I was super excited for it when it was first announced, but then when I heard you had to pay monthly for it (on top of a new console and the game itself), I quickly lost interest, but I kept it on the back burner. I figured maybe one day I'd give it a shot for like a month, maybe two. But seeing as I've heard absolutely nothing about it for six months (has it really been that long?), I think I'll just end up passing on it.

Riff Moonraker:

Sight Unseen:

Riff Moonraker:

Perhaps, but at this point what was a definite sell for me, has become a complete variable. Most of the word of mouth I am hearing doesnt bode well, which makes me want to investigate it further before I spend my money. Even more of a concern now is WHEN it comes out, which we still dont know yet, and what other games will be out at that time. Also, if I am going to have to pay $15 a month then it had best knock my socks off, or forget it. Trust me, I never let people make my decisions for me, but when you have this much noise about something, you would do well to at least investigate before strolling into something blindly.

This is the whole problem. You're letting others make the decision for you. If you look for faults you'll inevitably find them. It may be from people who haven't played the game since launch, if they played it at all, but hey, a bad game is a bad game right? Try the game for $20 - that's the price of 2 subs or a dinner at Ihop. Then come back and tell us if you think it's a shitty game. I think it's great! The graphics are beautiful - great desktop material, it's well optimized, my computer is 7 years old and is running it fine, and it scratches that adventure itch so very well that you can go back into zones you've well past outleveled and still discover new things to do. I don't know where people ever heard that there were rollback crashes. I've personally not had that happen since the game went live. When a new player asked "How do I get quests?" in zone chat, the answer was simple - go out and find them. This isn't a city/questhub-centered game. The wide majority of quests are obtained by going out and searching and a lot have at least a tangental connection to the main story. The PvP is great - you can easily level your character by lurking around Cyrodiil and questing/dungeon-delving when not in a siege group. PvP Campaigns can often fall into a pattern of gain/lose based on the active times of large PvP guilds. The campaign I'm on recently had an influx of players from 2 separate factions after my own faction had been dominating the map for a week. It keeps the PvP interesting as no one faction can hold the whole map for long before the other two decide to make an uneasy alliance and push them back.

This game isn't the simple cash-in that some people claim it to be. It's not a doorstop for the next single-player Elder Scrolls game. A different team was building the MMO, had been for years even before Skyrim was released, and ES games are largely generational anyway. You'll never see annual releases with Bethesda because that's not their business model. So to say that this game is preventing the next single-player release is simply untrue. Did the Final Fantasy MMOs prevent their next single-player release?

Riff Moonraker:

Sight Unseen:

Riff Moonraker:

That's fair enough. Just don't let the anti-hype give you the wrong impression. I still really don't understand why there was such a hate parade around this game. Sure it wasn't perfect and sure it had a bit of a rough launch, but I think it's still a very nice game, and it was WELL worth the subscription to me.

If I can be of any help as an opinion from the other side of the table, feel free to send me a PM with any questions or concerns you might have. I might be a bit biased in the other way though because I really do love this game and I don't think it deserved most of the doomsaying and hate that have been floating around since 2 years before it even launched.

If you have anything you'd like to know about the game I'll try to answer as honestly as I can and with as little bias as possible. Just send me a message :). That goes for anyone, not just you. Any questions feel free to ask me :)

Sniper Team 4:
I keep forgetting that this game even came out. Probably not a good sign.

I was super excited for it when it was first announced, but then when I heard you had to pay monthly for it (on top of a new console and the game itself), I quickly lost interest, but I kept it on the back burner. I figured maybe one day I'd give it a shot for like a month, maybe two. But seeing as I've heard absolutely nothing about it for six months (has it really been that long?), I think I'll just end up passing on it.

All of the flavour of the month haters and reviewers have moved on to Wildstar and other random MMOs to complain about. The dedicated core of the players are still around and playing though and they're not nearly as vocal as the "ERRRMAGEEHHRRD FTP IN 2 WEEKS OR LESS!!1123131!!!" crowd.

Halyah:

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:

nightmare_gorilla:

Probably stems from them copying the faction system and then locking people to said factions like WoW did. If it has hardlocked factions then it's pretty much always instantly compared to WoW from what I've seen. Plus people usually will compare it to whatever is currently biggest regardless I've experienced. Probably because it's easier to use for such a thing than say a random mmo thats obscure.

Its not so much the faction locking as it is that WoW is simply THE benchmark for MMOs. All mmos are doomed to be compared to it until something equally revolutionary takes its place. It was the same way with Everquest in the days before WoW. The reason you dont see such comparisons as often in other genres is because, sadly, the MMO landscape is much more stagnant. Since these games tare so ridiculously expensive, publishers are completely unwilling to take risks.

There are essentially two styles of AAA MMOs that get made: WoW style, and Guild Wars. Every major release of the last decade falls somewhere between the two of them. Hopefully someday a studio will take the risk and make something totally outside the box; till then it'll all be compared to WoW.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here