Dyson Unleashes its 360 Eye Robot Vacuum Army Upon the World

Dyson Unleashes its 360 Eye Robot Vacuum Army Upon the World

Beware the rise of the sucking machines.

Robot vacuums are nothing new, but thanks to Dyson's flair for the dramatic, its first such dirt sucker is making waves in Japan.

Sir James Dyson unveiled his company's first robot vacuum to the world today, during a live presentation in Tokyo. The Dyson 360 Eye took roughly 16 years, and $47 million to produce, including a recent $8 million funding infusion earlier this year.

The Dyson 360 Eye is a larger robotic vacuum -- it certainly stands taller than the iRobot Roombas of the world. But on the surface, it is decidedly a Dyson product, from the materials and colors used, to the Dyson cyclone tech, to its ability to traverse both hard surfaces and carpets.

And to make the 360 Eye feel right as rain in your connected life, Dyson built a WiFi radio into the floor-hugger, and is also shipping a companion smartphone app. One flick of the finger turns your Nest thermostat on/off, and another gets the vacuum going before you get home from work.

Japan's typically tight living quarters means "smaller is better," which is why Dyson revealed the 360 Eye there today, and will start selling the vacuum there later this year. Owners will get 20 minutes of cleaning time before the 360 Eye automagically returns to its base to recharge.

So will the Dyson 360 Eye have the likes of iRobot and its Roomba vacuum sweating bullets? That remains to be seen. iRobot has quite the following here in North America, but Dyson certainly has the...celebrity power (?) in the vacuum game.

Source: Dyson | Engadget

Vacuum robots are a wonderful application of commercial robotics to real world problems. I have a Neato, however, and unless the Dyson gets a much better battery life or a HUGE price drop (I'm expecting it to weigh in at a grand, because they will claim to be, and might indeed give birth to, the 'High End Robot Vacuum' market) I won't be getting this, ever.

I do however totally recommend the Neato. Great for smaller spaces, run regularly it can stay on top of the workload really well, and requires only a small amount of maintenance. A con to watch for is the battery life, performing well for about three months and then almost halving it's time between recharges, but that is an issue across the board with vacuum robots.

Devin Connors:

So will the Dyson 360 Eye have the likes of iRobot and its Roomba vacuum sweating bullets?

Unlikely, given the over-inflated price tags attached to Dyson products.

Don't get me wrong, Dyson makes great stuff. But I'd much rather do my own cleaning and buy a new motorcycle than pay what Dyson will be asking for this thing.

Are robot vacuum cleaners really still a thing? I always thought they were gimmick that never really cleaned anything right or just got stuck in an endless loop in some dark corner of your home.

I do like that they're making a real life DJ Roomba though :D

Devin Connors:

Japan's typically tight living quarters means "smaller is better," which is why Dyson revealed the 360 Eye there today, and will start selling the vacuum there later this year. Owners will get 20 minutes of cleaning time before the 360 Eye automagically returns to its base to recharge.

The Dyson 360 Eye is a larger robotic vacuum -- it certainly stands taller than the iRobot Roombas of the world. But on the surface, it is decidedly a Dyson product, from the materials and colors used, to the Dyson cyclone tech, to its ability to traverse both hard surfaces and carpets.

Wait...am I missing something? "Smaller is better in Japan" so they decide to debut a larger product in Japan? Those seem like incompatible statements.

ROBOT SLAVES ARE HERE! ROBOT SLAVES ARE HERE!

Now I just want my BacktoTheFuture self-cleaning clothes and self-tying shoes! (and a hoverboard. Dammit.)

Yeah, I'll stick with my old cheap Shark upright. The thought of having a giant monstrosity running around my house unattended putting so much stress on its Li-ion battery(AKA incendiary bomb) that it only can run for 20 minutes doesn't scream trustworthy to me. The fact that it'll cost way to much for what it does and from what I heard about Dyson that they're the Apple of vacuum cleaners, super pretty, pricey, and does nothing special for the average user, makes it even less appealing.

Side note: Damn, even their promo site was like Apple's new Mac Pro one, stupid exploded view animations, meant to impress the typical rich impulse buyers, that take way to long to find the info I'm interested in and didn't have info on the battery. (It was quicker to Google the thing and click on a cnet article.)

A friend of mine bought one the Neato robot vacuum cleaners. It was in use for 15 minutes before her neapolitan mastiff picked it up, ran up, the stairs and dropped it down the stairwell to its doom.

Ah, good. I have been looking for a 2000 dollar mobile cat chair.

DugMachine:
Are robot vacuum cleaners really still a thing? I always thought they were gimmick that never really cleaned anything right or just got stuck in an endless loop in some dark corner of your home.

I do like that they're making a real life DJ Roomba though :D

yeah, it was always an interesting idea but i woulder how it performs in real world circumstances. how does it deal with doors opening and closing, people walking around, new dirt coming in, ect.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here