GoldenEye Watchface for Android Wear is Why I Need a Smartwatch

GoldenEye Watchface for Android Wear is Why I Need a Smartwatch

Secret Agent GoldenEye Watchface 310x

Silenced Walther PPK (or is it PP7?) not included.

Between LG, Samsung, Sony, Pebble, and Motorola, there's no shortage of smartwatch selection in what's still a very new product category. But do you want one? Do you need one? It will probably come down to the first question for many of us -- I don't know anyone who needs a smartwatch at the moment -- but the answer might be that much easier to find for the GoldenEye fans in the crowd.

So what might be the first must-have app/add-on for a smartwatch? This watchface for Android Wear devices (seen above), which liberally borrows from the famous watchface in Rare's classic for the Nintendo 64, GoldenEye.

The watchface, which can be downloaded here, is functional, too. Along with, well, telling you what time it is, the watchface also shows battery life via the blue armor status bar on the right. As Phandroid shows, the watchface works incredibly well with the round Android-powered watches from Motorola and LG.

This is, realistically, the closest you will ever get to actually being James Bond (legal names changes aside). If you're on the smartwatch fence, perhaps this will change your mind...that or the gold-powered laser currently working its way up to your lower regions.

Source: Phandroid

Devin Connors:
(legal names changes aside)

My dad grew up with a lady who married a man with the last name Bond. They named their son James.

Not kidding.

OT: While this is pretty cool, I still don't understand the need for a smartwatch. Can anyone explain it to me? Am I missing something that makes them useful in the slightest?

That's ok, I think I'll just continue being happy with the real/licensed thing :)
The armor and health bars don't move, but it's got a stylish 3D logo.

Gxas:

OT: While this is pretty cool, I still don't understand the need for a smartwatch. Can anyone explain it to me? Am I missing something that makes them useful in the slightest?

Need? There isn't much of one. But then if we judged things by the need, we'd write off all of gaming.

However, smart watches have some nice uses. Providing you a quick look at important info (e.g. time, date, weather, fitness info, news updates, etc.) while driving, letting you see text messages and emails at a glance while you're in important meetings or on dates. Who doesn't get tired of whipping out their phone just to find out it's another text from family asking about the next get together instead of that job offer you were waiting on?

It's also nice to be able to change your watch face as you grow bored of them.

Sure, the cynical or simply uninterested might say none of that is particularly compelling, but then the cost of a smart watch isn't much more than the cost of a decent regular watch anyhow. So it's some minor conveniences at a minor cost. That equation works out for some people.

Gxas:

Devin Connors:
(legal names changes aside)

My dad grew up with a lady who married a man with the last name Bond. They named their son James.

Not kidding.

There the new pager ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pager note the pager watch at the bottom of the article ) due to modern phones and 'phablet's' becoming just to big for all occasion's.

I confess to being one of those folk who just doesn't see the point in smart watches.

While I think being able to change your watch face is a pretty cool feature, I struggle to see the need for the rest of the functions.

Is looking at your wrist while driving any less distracting than looking at your phone mounted on the dashboard of the car? Are you that desperate to know what the weather is going to be like in a different time or place that pulling your phone out is an inconvenience. What's the point in looking at your emails/messages on the watch when you are going to need to go to a different device in order to respond to them.

While I agree phones are getting too large, I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about correcting that.

Perhaps something is going to happen to make me want one of these, some great innovation that I just wont be able to do without. As it stands however the only thing that interests me is the changeable faces, and sorry but I can live without that.

A few years back I made a leather strap for an ipod nano, and it still serves me well to this day, it has two things I need, it plays my music collection, and tells me the time. Why would I pay hundreds of pounds for a "smart" watch that will only do half of those things?

xPixelatedx:
That's ok, I think I'll just continue being happy with the real/licensed thing :)
The armor and health bars don't move, but it's got a stylish 3D logo.

I was just thinking of that. Had one way back in the day before the strap broke.

Devin Connors:
gold-powered laser

Really? Someone with the title "Tech Editor" talks about a gold-powered laser? That doesn't make any sense from either a real world or storyline point of view.

Anyhoo, still not convincing me that smartwatches serve any useful purpose. I suppose they're nice if you're into jewellery.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here