Police Academy Veterans to Battle Syfy's Lavalantula

Police Academy Veterans to Battle Syfy's Lavalantula

lavalantula poster

Director of Big Ass Spider pits 80s comedy stars against the Sharknado network's newest monsters.

The Syfy network scored a pop-culture phenomenon with their surprise-hit Sharknado movies, and now they're looking to repeat that success with a new monster-mashup franchise: Lavalantula, in which Los Angeles is attacked by gigantic lava-breathing prehistoric tarantulas that "erupt out of the mountains of Santa Monica."

The film is set to be directed by indie-horror fixture Mike Mendez, who has familiarity with the genre having directed the Saturn Award-winning horror-comedy Big Ass Spider last year. While it is unknown whether Lavalantula will take a similarly tongue-in-cheek tone, the film is set to star several cast members of the Police Academy series, including Steve Guttenberg, Leslie Easterbrook and Michael Winslow. Nia Peeples and KROQ Los Angeles DJ Ralph Garman will also star.

Since its controversial name-change (from The Scifi Channel) in 2009, Syfy has found success and renewed pop-culture relevance ia the cult-popularity of their bizarre, often intentionally-cheesy Syfy Original Movies productions; which have included titles such as Hammerhead: Shark Frenzy, Jersey Shore Shark Attack, Piranhaconda and Mega-Python Vs. Gatoroid. The phenomenon went mainstream last year when the initially low-rated Sharknado became a surprise viral hit on social media, resulting in bewildered mainstream-media coverage the following morning.

Source: TV Week

remember the days when sci fi as a genre was about exploring new ideas and turning a mirror back on ourselves and our humanity? remember the wonder? the horror?

no?

....no I guess not

Vault101:
remember the days when sci fi as a genre was about exploring new ideas and turning a mirror back on ourselves and our humanity? remember the wonder? the horror?

no?

....no I guess not

Oh, bother. Phantom's being pissy again. Someone fetch Dante.

RA92:

and that's where they should have stayed!

of coarse I still can't get over calling it "syfy" I just...*nrrrrrggg* actually maybe its for the best, a stupid title to go with stupid movies

Mirrorknight:

...>.>....

...hmmm

Vault101:

RA92:

and that's where they should have stayed!

of coarse I still can't get over calling it "syfy" I just...*nrrrrrggg* actually maybe its for the best, a stupid title to go with stupid movies

Mirrorknight:

...>.>....

...hmmm

You got to admit, it'd make the movie a hell of a lot better. But with this being SyFy, they'd probably do something like get reboot Dante.

I remember what the "Sci-Fi" channel used to be & I really miss it. These new movies & pointless reality shows are just bad, there is absolutely NOTHING redeeming about them. I don't care if they are supposed to be "so bad it's good" or "campy", that's a piss poor excuse for churning out crap. It's become it's own walking joke & it's not even a funny joke.

This pisses me off more than it should I know, but damn... Fuck the SyFy channel.

Does somebody else feel like we are scratching Godzilla's territory? No? Anybody? Okay...

CaitSeith:
Does somebody else feel like we are scratching Godzilla's territory? No? Anybody? Okay...

Nah. Even some of the worst Godzilla movies are better than this crap... unless you are talking about the 1998 movie. If that is the case, then, yes. It is around that territory of awful. <.<

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here