Amazon to Open its First Retail Store Location in New York City

Amazon to Open its First Retail Store Location in New York City

Amazon Locker 310x

The store will open in Manhattan, and act as a same-day delivery hub.

The Wall Street Journal (paywall) is reporting that Amazon will finally open a brick-and-mortar retail store, and the flagship is finding a home in midtown Manhattan.

The location will put Amazon's storefront within spitting distance of the Empire State Building, and Macy's flagship location, on 34th Street.

While other aspects of retail are sure to surface eventually for Amazon, this store is (for now) merely a physical face on Amazon's day-to-day operations. The three primary duties of the store are all tied to Amazon's online presence, including accepting returns of items bought online, acting as a pick-up hub for items ordered online, and a mini warehouse for same-day/Amazon Fresh delivery items.

Circling back to the future of retail, it would not be a surprise to see Amazon displaying its own products on the store's showroom floor. Kindle Fire tablets, eReaders and the Fire Phone all come to mind.

If this Amazon store (it's more of a hub, really) takes off, you can expect to see similar locations pop up elsewhere in NYC, as well as other cities -- Los Angeles, Seattle, and San Francisco, in particular. Once the retail experiment is deemed a success, then Amazon can expand into a more traditional brick-and-mortar operation (if it wants to).

Source: WSJ

At first before reading I was thinking to myself how stupid is this. We buy from amazon and other online sites because it is cheaper. Then I read the article and thought this is actually a better idea then I thought initially. I still think I will want to order from my home PC and have home delivery, but the option to have hubs for easier returns is a HUGE plus.

XenoScifi:
At first before reading I was thinking to myself how stupid is this. We buy from amazon and other online sites because it is cheaper. Then I read the article and thought this is actually a better idea then I thought initially. I still think I will want to order from my home PC and have home delivery, but the option to have hubs for easier returns is a HUGE plus.

also, there's less of an issue of trying to gauge exactly when the delivery person decides to actually visit your address or if they will not dropkick your package on the way there

But, we already got brick and mortar Amazon stores. They're just called Best Buys, and you go home and order the thing you want online if you don't want to pay the "convenience fee."

I guess the return aspect of their own physical retail location would work for a high volume market (and save them money on UPS). Although, I'm sure unless they are really nice, they'll only take back items sold or "fulfilled" by Amazon. The random sellers that are a pain so send items back to probably are still going to be handled the same way as always.

If they do go full retail (Why am I getting Tropic Thunder flashbacks?), It would be funny to see an Apple Store, a Microsoft Store, and a Amazon Store in a row along a strip mall.

So.... their business strategy is:
1) Set up an online store that seems so much easier than a brick and mortar store
2) Profit
3) Run most of the competition either into the ground or close to it.
4) More profit
5) Then establish your own store, people will go to just because of brand recognition
6) Own all of humanity.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here