Anita Sarkeesian Cancels USU Speech Following Threat of Massacre - Update

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

Anita Sarkeesian Cancels USU Speech Following Threat of Massacre - Update

Anita Sarkeesian

A person claiming to be a student at USU threatened a massive school shooting would happen if Anita Sarkeesian did not cancel her speech.

Update: Utah State University's police department stated there was no risk to USU students. The email threat arrived late Monday evening. USU police worked with state and federal law enforcement and determined there was "no threat to students, staff or the speaker, so no alert was issued."

Anita Sarkeesian wrote on Twitter that USU did not notify her of the threat and that she found out about it via news stories and Twitter. She has decided to refrain from speaking at Utah institutions until firearms are banned from schools.

USU spokesperson Tim Vitale told FOX 13 Now in Salt Lake City the school will again review state law concerning firearms at schools.

Greg Skordas, Salt Lake City defense attorney, said USU would have been within its rights to restrict firearms, FOX 13 Now reports.

Original story: Utah State University stated it received a threatening email today from someone claiming to be a student; the person directed threats at the Center for Women and Gender Studies ahead of a talk Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency was scheduled to give tomorrow morning. USU stated Sarkeesian has canceled her speech. Classes and business will continue.

A spokesperson for USU's Center for Women and Gender Studies said the email was sent to the director of the center, the Standard Examiner reported. In this article, USU spokesperson Tim Vitale said USU planned to hold the event with extra security at the event. Federal and state agencies advised USU that it was all right to still hold the event. However, the speech has been canceled.

Utah State Today, the campus' online news source, reports Sarkeesian decided to cancel the speech after speaking with police on whether weapons are permitted at the speaking venue. Police confirmed that people are allowed to carry a weapon at the venue if they have a concealed firearm permit in accordance with Utah state law.

Sarkeesian wrote on Twitter, "Forced to cancel my talk at USU after receiving death threats because police wouldn't take steps to prevent concealed firearms at the event." Because of Utah's open carry laws, police cannot do firearm searches, Sarkeesian said. Sarkeesian alleged she has received many threats with intent to kill her and others at USU, and she also alleged "one threat did claim affiliation with #gamergate."

The email threatened the sender would carry out an attack in the syle of the Montreal Massacre, which took place in Canada of 1989 and resulted in 14 women killed, 10 injured, and four men killed. Before committing suicide, the attacker said he was "fighting feminism."

The threats in the email sent to USU escalated, calling what could happen the "deadliest school shooting in American history."

The sender claimed to be a student at the university, writing, "Feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all the others they've wronged."

This is far from the first time threats have been issued at a venue for hosting Sarkeesian. Last weekend officials confirmed to Polygon threats were directed at GeekGirlCon for Sarkeesian's appearance. Sarkeesian had to leave her home in August when she receiving death threats directed at her and her family and reported the incident to the San Francisco Police Department, who confirmed the existence of the police report. The FBI is now investigating.

In addition, Brianna Wu, head of development at Giant Spacekat, had to leave her home Friday night after receiving death threats. Wu has recently appeared on MSNBC, CNN, and the Huffington Post, to speak about her harassment and GamerGate.

Independent game developer Zoe Quinn also had to leave her home in August due to threats since the beginning of GamerGate.

The Escapist has contacted Sarkeesian and Utah State University for comment. USU's police department directed media inquiries to Utah State Today.

Source: Utah State University, Utah State Today via The Standard Examiner

Predictable. Kids these days can't get their jollies by just throwing around racist and homosexual slurs because that doesn't get peoples' attention anymore, but violence, hey, that gets attention. Problem is this specific kind of threat also gets the FBI's attention, and I have a feeling they'll be knocking on someone's door fairly soon.

All this is going to ultimately do is give Anita more support, so this person is only helping her cause in the long run.

If someone is willing to threaten her to keep her from speaking, that just makes me want to hear her more.

Honestly, this is just sickening, and is completely wrong on many levels. Hope the FBI uses this to catch the person to send the email. This is only gonna make things worse for people who are just regular gamers, and doesn't help those who think that all gamers are nothing but misogynists, whiney, or violent introverts.

fuck people

no really fuck'em, fuck those with screw up priorities who haven't grown the fuck up to realise that their precious gamez are not extensions of their being and therefore not infallible and that sometimes people will call things out on shit (and people) and it might hurt your feelings but sometimes sometimes getting your feelings hurt is a by product of learning shit...or if not act like a fucking adult and NO just because you have a god damn anime gamer girl as your avatar does not mean your exempt from bullshit and oh dear lord am I so fucking sick of peoples bullshit

MBAYE THE SKELETONS HAVE A POINT!

First thought: "Oh for fuck's sake. Really? Over fucking video games? Really?"

Second thought: "Not to belie the seriousness of such a threat, but did this actually happen?"

Third thought: "Either way, this is the perfect talking point for the anti-GG crowd."

Signed,

Someone who doesn't care about either side, but is just a little wearied that once was a discussion about fucking video games has now reached the point of school shooting threats.

P.S I swear no allegiance to either side, but you have my sympathies GG supporters: you've already got to spend most of your time fighting accusations of misogyny/sexism, now you're forever going to be associated with nutters like this.

roseofbattle:
Anita Sarkeesian Cancels USU Speech Following Threat of Massacre

Anita Sarkeesian

A person claiming to be a student at USU threatened a massive school shooting would happen if Anita Sarkeesian did not cancel her speech.

Utah State University stated it received a threatening email today from someone claiming to be a student; the person directed threats at the Center for Women and Gender Studies ahead of a talk Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency was scheduled to give tomorrow morning. USU stated Sarkeesian has canceled her speech. Classes and business will continue.

A spokesperson for USU's Center for Women and Gender Studies said the email was sent to the director of the center, the Standard Examiner reported. In this article, USU spokesperson Tim Vitale said USU planned to hold the event with extra security at the event. Federal and state agencies advised USU that it was all right to still hold the event. However, the speech has been canceled.

Utah State Today, the campus' online news source, reports Sarkeesian decided to cancel the speech after speaking with police on whether weapons are permitted at the speaking venue. Police confirmed that people are allowed to carry a weapon at the venue if they have a concealed firearm permit in accordance with Utah state law.

Sarkeesian wrote on Twitter, "Forced to cancel my talk at USU after receiving death threats because police wouldn't take steps to prevent concealed firearms at the event." Because of Utah's open carry laws, police cannot do firearm searches, Sarkeesian said. Sarkeesian alleged she has received many threats with intent to kill her and others at USU, and she also alleged "one threat did claim affiliation with #gamergate."

The email threatened the sender would carry out an attack in the syle of the Montreal Massacre, which took place in Canada of 1989 and resulted in 14 women killed, 10 injured, and four men killed. Before committing suicide, the attacker said he was "fighting feminism."

The threats in the email sent to USU escalated, calling what could happen the "deadliest school shooting in American history."

The sender claimed to be a student at the university, writing, "Feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all the others they've wronged."

This is far from the first time threats have been issued at a venue for hosting Sarkeesian. Last weekend officials confirmed to Polygon threats were directed at GeekGirlCon for Sarkeesian's appearance. Sarkeesian had to leave her home in August when she receiving death threats directed at her and her family and reported the incident to the San Francisco Police Department, who confirmed the existence of the police report. The FBI is now investigating.

In addition, Brianna Wu, head of development at Giant Spacekat, had to leave her home Friday night after receiving death threats. Wu has recently appeared on MSNBC, CNN, and the Huffington Post, to speak about her harassment and GamerGate.

Independent game developer Zoe Quinn also had to leave her home in August due to threats since the beginning of GamerGate.

The Escapist has contacted Sarkeesian and Utah State University for comment. USU's police department directed media inquiries to Utah State Today.

Source: Utah State University, Utah State Today via The Standard Examiner

Thank God she's not a political leader or someone with real authority. IF you want to make true change, you don't let threats stop you, you do it. Also, the concealed weapon laws in Utah would probably help if a real situation took place... remember Virgina Tech had a "no firearm's policy" and we all see how that worked out.

And this is the moment #gamergate officially died.

Sorry if you're pro-GG, I've honestly tried to keep a distance from both sides of this argument since there's plenty of crap to go around both pro and anti camps, but the #gamergate crowd has now officially outdicked the other side. If you are a reasonable person who identifies himself as "pro-GG", and do so because you genuinely, genuinely believe it's all about ethics, you need to divorce yourself from this hashtag. It's too toxic now.

No excuses. No more false equivalences. No "this doesn't represent us." No false flag accusations. Sorry, no, this is how people see #gamergate now. This movement has now been put into the same bracket as domestic terrorists.

If decent folks in the #gamergate crowd really want to get some positive change out of this, they first need to let that f--king hashtag die.

Kmadden2004:

Sorry if you're pro-GG, I've honestly tried to keep a distance from both sides of this argument since there's plenty of crap to go around both pro and anti camps, but the #gamergate crowd has now officially outdicked the other side. If you are a reasonable person who identifies himself as "pro-GG", and do so because you genuinely, genuinely believe it's all about ethics, you need to divorce yourself from this hashtag. It's too toxic now.

No excuses. No more false equivalences. No "this doesn't represent us." No false flag accusations. Sorry, no, this is how people see #gamergate now. This movement has now been put into the same bracket as domestic terrorists.

If decent folks in the #gamergate crowd really want to get some positive change out of this, they first need to let that f--king hashtag die.

I could send a bunch of emails right now announcing a mass shooting at a school of my choice saying that I'm a student there and claim to do it in the name of whatever I feel like. Say I did it for The Escapist Magazine. Would that discredit the Escapist? That argument is more then ridiculous. Until the person responsible is found and thoroughly questioned, there is no way of telling what their intentions were.

And if you have followed the hashtag so far, you would have surely noticed that people have tried to attribute this kind of stuff (and worse) to GamerGate from its very inception. This is no different then any of the other cases.

Far from the first time this has happened. I wonder what made this one so different, aside from lack of police preventative measures, unless that is the only reason why.

As the announcer says in Counter-Strike, Terrorists win.

Brockyman:
Also, the concealed weapon laws in Utah would probably help if a real situation took place... remember Virgina Tech had a "no firearm's policy" and we all see how that worked out.

Yes, because the best way to deal with an irrational lunatic wielding a firearm in a crowded event is a dozen irrational, panicked, untrained civilians with no obligation to be proficient marksmen of have good judgment regarding firearm safety to bring their own guns.

You know there were guards with firearms at Columbine, and we all see how that worked out.

Davroth:
I could send a bunch of emails right now announcing a mass shooting at a school of my choice saying that I'm a student there and claim to do it in the name of whatever I feel like. Say I did it for The Escapist Magazine. Would that discredit the Escapist?

Uh, obviously it would.

Interesting that they cite the Montreal Polytechnique Massacre. As an aside, after that one, women in Vancouver had a memorial for women killed by men. Lots of men got upset, claimed they were saying that all men were violent, and threatened to kill the women involved until the local government banned further memorials as being antagonistic.

Brockyman:
Thank God she's not a political leader or someone with real authority. IF you want to make true change, you don't let threats stop you, you do it.

How many times have you been threatened over a speech you were going to give?

I don't think we should condemn Sarkeesian for not wanting to be murdered.

Kmadden2004:
This movement has now been put into the same bracket as domestic terrorists.

Unfortunately, the person/s behind this will only be a terrorist if they are one of "Them", one of a the right minority groups. People who are one of "Us" aren't terrorists, even when they do something like this, or firebomb abortion clinics.

Really? You guys believe this? It's all just a set up to take over video game culture. They already planned to do this ahead of time. No one takes video games that seriously or are anti-woman that much. No one. Video games are the last medium that has not been hijacked by Them to create culture change. This is just a false flag event. A small one, a stupid one, a ridiculous one, but a false flag none the less.

Here is Syrian Girl talking about it; someone with a real head on her shoulders. Normally she talks about geopolitical events, but it turns out she is a gamer too. She applies her same anaysis to the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU4unV5BVmWubfAF0Al_AVdw&feature=player_detailpage&v=45H25Sc6fig

But if the law allows concealed carries massacres wouldn't happen because the good people would defend themselves!

So yes let's turn this hijack this feminism article with a gun control debate!

(Though obviously the concern here was the police couldn't check people for firearms)

I am pro-#GamerGate and pro concealed carry/campus carry. Sorry lady, your fear doesn't trump the right to self defense. At least not in Utah.

Sheen Lantern:

Davroth:
I could send a bunch of emails right now announcing a mass shooting at a school of my choice saying that I'm a student there and claim to do it in the name of whatever I feel like. Say I did it for The Escapist Magazine. Would that discredit the Escapist?

Uh, obviously it would.

John Hinckley tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan, and he did it for Jodie Foster. I think it's time we press charges. She clearly should be held responsible for that.

It's too bad she ended up cancelling, but I can certainly understand why. With no steps taken to control firearms at the venue and with a threat not just against Anita herself but also against all in attendance it was almost the only thing she could have done.

Dragonmouth:
If someone is willing to threaten her to keep her from speaking, that just makes me want to hear her more.

This is my thought as well. I mean, I know what she has to say and already tend to agree with a decent portion of it so I'm not really in that position. If, however, I wasn't already in the know, this sort of action would really just push me towards checking her stuff out rather than pushing me away from it.

Davroth:

Sheen Lantern:

Davroth:

Uh, obviously it would.

John Hinckley tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan, and he did it for Jodie Foster. I think it's time we press charges. She clearly should be held responsible for that.

I'm confused, how is that at all related to this?

This really isn't ok.

I don't mind if you don't like her ( I don't give a shit about her videos or content honestly), but threatening a school shooting really doesn't help the case of gamers, no not even gamers, it just inhumane.

Hopefully this gets resolved.

Davroth:

Kmadden2004:

I could send a bunch of emails right now announcing a mass shooting at a school of my choice saying that I'm a student there and claim to do it in the name of whatever I feel like. Say I did it for The Escapist Magazine. Would that discredit the Escapist? That argument is more then ridiculous. Until the person responsible is found and thoroughly questioned, there is no way of telling what their intentions were.

And if you have followed the hashtag so far, you would have surely noticed that people have tried to attribute this kind of stuff (and worse) to GamerGate from its very inception. This is no different then any of the other cases.

The Escapist is not some nebulous, directionless crowd that's allowed its lunatic element to become its most vocal and visible representation. That's precisely the environment #gamergate has harboured by not taking responsibility for its followers' actions.

Hell, just look at what's going on with Zoe Quinn on Twitter right now, and tell me, with a straight face, that that is not harassment.

And if you genuinely believe that this is some war of attrition, and that this latest episode is just another attempt by some anti-GG quack to discredit the entire movement, I've got some bad news for you; They've won, you've lost.

If you genuinely want to campaign for better, clearer ethics in games journalism, then you need to let this movement die.

Sheen Lantern:

That's the kind of logic the person I was quoting originally was employing.

In related news, I shall be busy for the next few hours issuing threats of school massacres from VPNs that don't record user IPs and throwaway email addresses in the name people I don't like claiming to be a student at said school, and they can't possibly distance themselves from it because they are thoroughly discredited by my emails. It's the perfect plan. Soon, all the people I don't like will be discredited.

If I'd known it's /that/ easy, I'd have done it ages ago!

92Sierra:
Really? You guys believe this? It's all just a set up to take over video game culture. They already planned to do this ahead of time. No one takes video games that seriously or are anti-woman that much. No one. Video games are the last medium that has not been hijacked by Them to create culture change. This is just a false flag event. A small one, a stupid one, a ridiculous one, but a false flag none the less.

Oh come on now. Every few months we hear about some asshole who finds the real-life home of a player from an online game that they were contentious with and goes to assault them. It happens, and to claim that people, whether or not they're mentally or emotionally stable, don't stoop to this kind of behavior for less is being extremely dishonest. Stop with the conspiracy garbage, some people are just infantile assholes who don't know how to handle disgreements like a reasonable human being.

Davroth:

Sheen Lantern:

Uh, no it's not. It's completely different and unrelated.

The only way that'd be comparable is if Jodie Foster had previously been extremely public about her disdain for Ronald Reagan, and many other people who had been hanging around her started saying the same things, throwing death threat after death threat towards Reagan.

I'm confused. Is there any actual evidence connecting this unhinged fellow to GamerGate, or are people just trying to demonize GamerGate even more by using it as a catch-all term for 'ebil misogynist assholes on the net' now?

Fuck's sake, the amount of bullshit today just doesn't know when to stop...

92Sierra:

Here is Syrian Girl talking about it; someone with a real head on her shoulders. Normally she talks about geopolitical events, but it turns out she is a gamer too. She applies her same anaysis to the situation.

Yeah yeah yeah, I remember the first post where you mentioned that she's 'hot' and 'is Syrian royalty', both apparently credentials of high esteem that we should all require of all our video game commentators. I couldn't make it past her first utterance of 'cultural Marxism' and it didn't help that pretty much every heavily-upped comment below the video was either people posting 'stfu sjw faggot!', discussions about Ayn Rand theories, or something equally stupid.

Kmadden2004:
The Escapist is not some nebulous, directionless crowd that's allowed its lunatic element to become its most vocal and visible representation. That's precisely the environment #gamergate has harboured by not taking responsibility for its followers' actions.

Hell, just look at what's going on with Zoe Quinn on Twitter right now, and tell me, with a straight face, that that is not harassment.

And if you genuinely believe that this is some war of attrition, and that this latest episode is just another attempt by some anti-GG quack to discredit the entire movement, I've got some bad news for you; They've won, you've lost.

If you genuinely want to campaign for better, clearer ethics in games journalism, then you need to let this movement die.

GamerGate isn't directionless. The course has been the same since the first week. I don't get why people claim it's directionless. And everyone within the communities I watch, which is here and 8chan (I'm sorry, I mean of course h8chan) have always condemned harassment and crunched down on doxxing attempts as soon as they happened. So what exactly are you talking about?

Depends on what you are talking about with Zoe Quinn. Mind linking something? Her twitter feed is kind of a mess and I don't use twitter all that much, so I have no quick way of seeing what you mean.

If this swayed you I have no clue how you were on the fence for this long.

I can still start a new movement for better, clearer ethics in games journalism /should/ this movement for better, clearer ethics in games journalism die. But I'm not seeing that happening any time soon. Anti-GG quacks have been claiming that they have won and destroyed GG starting the very first week... seriously, how have you missed that kind of stuff happening?

Sheen Lantern:

Davroth:

Sheen Lantern:

The only way that'd be comparable is if Jodie Foster had previously been extremely public about her disdain for Ronald Reagan, and many other people who had been hanging around her started saying the same things, throwing death threat after death threat towards Reagan.

Have you any proof that this has been happening with GamerGate and Anita Sarkeesian? I'd love to see it.

Davroth:

Sheen Lantern:

Davroth:

Have you any proof that this has been happening with GamerGate and Anita Sarkeesian? I'd love to see it.

I know that this isn't the first time I've seen Anita Sarkeesian's life and family threatened.

Sheen Lantern:

Davroth:

Sheen Lantern:

I know that this isn't the first time I've seen Anita Sarkeesian's life and family threatened.

And where is the connection to GamerGate? It's an unfortunate truth that people's lives and families get threatened a lot by anonymous people on the internet. That's not the question though. The question is how that is connected to GamerGate. And I'd like to see actual evidence if you are going to throw that out so casually.

But remember guys! Gamergate is about ethics! And if you say any differently, you'll get death threats! But that wont be from them. Totally.

Wow. I'm not sure which is worse: that somebody made that kind of threat over a lady talking about video games, or that the cops in Utah let private citizens carry concealed guns in a school even when the school in question has received such a threat.

Maaaaaybe it's not such a great idea to declare allegiance to Gamergate anymore? I don't really like Ms. Sarkeesian's work particularly much, but I'm certainly not so afraid of it as to threaten anybody over her talking somewhere. That makes it sound like she's actually important or something, which she clearly should not be.

MarsAtlas:

Oh come on now. Every few months we hear about some asshole who finds the real-life home of a player from an online game that they were contentious with and goes to assault them.

I'm not saying this is a conspiracy or anything, but I've never read about this scenario happening...

If it really happens every few months... where the hell have I been to miss it every time?

Kmadden2004:
This movement has now been put into the same bracket as domestic terrorists.

This is the equivalent of claiming all Muslims are terrorists because of ISIS.

Davroth:

Sheen Lantern:

Davroth:

And where is the connection to GamerGate? It's an unfortunate truth that people's lives and families get threatened a lot by anonymous people on the internet. That's not the question though. The question is how that is connected to GamerGate. And I'd like to see actual evidence if you are going to throw that out so casually.

I didn't realise GamerGate was such a sophisticated, hierarchical denomination. Tell me, what criteria do you need to fulfill to say you represent or are a part of GamerGate? Beyond saying that you're going to hunt down Anita Sarkeesian and rape her to death on Twitter with a hashtag #GamerGate.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here