Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Farewell Jim Sterling

Jimquisition

The Escapist bids a fond farewell to one of its favorite contributors.

Jim Sterling began posting videos on The Escapist back in April 2011. The first few Jimquisitions were a bit unpolished, shall we say, in the technical department. But once Jim got a new microphone, his voice got a lot stronger and his shows only got better. The Escapist proudly hosted Jim's op-ed videos on the gaming industry for more than three years and 210 episodes. Last year, I was extremely happy to ask him to join the editorial team as Reviews Editor. Jim's professionalism was only outmatched by his surprisingly tender heart - despite his persona, Jim is really just a big teddy bear of a person. He was a fixture at the Escapist Expo, worked with the other contributors on tons of collaborations and everyone here considers him a part of the family.

It is with a heavy heart, then, that I announce Jim Sterling's departure from The Escapist. Jimquisition, Movie Defense Force and Uncivil War will no longer be published here. There will also no longer be any game reviews written by Jim Sterling at The Escapist.

I'm happy to say that even though Jim's work will no longer be presented at The Escapist, it is by no means going away. He has set up an amazing Patreon which will allow him to continue writing reviews and making Jimquisition videos through the direct support of his readers. Jim will only be beholden to you, the consumers, and I think that's awesome. On behalf of everyone here at The Escapist, I wish him all the best and I sincerely hope you head to Jim's Patreon to check it out. I know I will be going there to watch his videos every week.

Thank God for Jim Sterling,

Greg Tito
Editor-in-Chief

Wow...can't say I was expecting anything like this when I woke up 5 minutes ago...

Wherever Sterling goes, I shall follow, for his content.

Not that I will stop visiting the escapist of course.

So long Jim Fucking Sterling, Son!

Wasn't a fan at first, but these days he's one of my favourite contributors. Wish the big guy the best of luck.

I hope he suceeds with his patreon thingy. I will follow his content so see you on youtube I guess.

Good luck out there, you brave soldier!

Well, my day got a bit sad today. Goodbye Jim and good luck on all your future endeavors!

Sorry to see him go. He added a certain... something... to the Escapist.

So... is this farewell to Uncivil War, or are Jim and Yahtzee going to co-operate and post it on Jim's channel?

Huh, I mostly just come here for Jim, Yahtzee, and Bob. The Escapist just became 33% less awesome.

Well, I was a fan of his for a rather long time. Maybe from the start, I'm not actually sure. Certainly from early on. Probably around the time he posted those audition videos for IGN(?). Kind of surreal to follow one person's career for so long.

I can't say I'm a fan of the way he has been conducting himself lately, but I suppose we will see how the Jimquisition will work out without executive meddling, for better or worse.

Until then, farewell, Jim.

We were unworthy of him. He will never be...

Oh, he's moving to his own site? Bye, Escapist, it's been fun! No, I'm kidding, there's room for both.

If the escapist was a face, Jim was the chin. A glorious sexy chiselled chin.

Keep doing your thing, Jim, and get that money.

Ignore the insufferable yokels who are slating your Patreon campaign on social media.

When Jim first appeared on the Escapist I stubbornly refused to watch him because... well uh reasons. Anyway I eventually caved and now Jim is one of my favorite contributors. His commentary on the state of the industry in the Jimquisition is generally spot on, if rather sad. His colaberations with Yahtzee were a delight even if his poems made me squirm. I must say I'm going to miss you Jim.

Why is he leaving in the first place?

Add one to the set of surprised people. It's always a bit sad when an intelligent and articulate person moves a bit further away.

I wish him (and us all) the best of luck.

What the hell? This came out of nowhere. Did the slaughtering grounds devs start looking at the escapist with legal action or something and this is their way of distancing themselves from Jim?

Yeah, he definitely brought a certain...um...not as entertaining as Yahtzee, but still worth watching occasionally...ness.

Generally he's painfully unfunny, but often saying something worth saying.

circularlogic88:
What the hell? This came out of nowhere. Did the slaughtering grounds devs start looking at the escapist with legal action or something and this is their way of distancing themselves from Jim?

It seemed to come out of somewhere:

https://twitter.com/FartToContinue/status/533617769368256512

Wait wait wait wait, WHAT! Like just What. What is going on here. Why is he gone! Give us some answers please!

There goes a third of the Escapist. Now all that's left is Moviebob and Yahtzee. I wonder who Jim pissed off :P

*yawn* Toodles Jim.. remember to check out that Boiling Lake in africa I told you and th other steam curators about.

Okay can we get smarmy british accent guy #278 in please we have a vacancy.

I generally dislike videos. I actually like his. He is a free spirit, he cannot be restricted by the binding of merchants! I bookmarked his page and will definitely be visiting him there. It feels like something very important is missing here already.

Jim's loss is a blow to the Escapist. I always like to play devil's advocate, but I can't spin this any way but bad. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes but more should have been done to retain him. This site lost creditabilty with his departure.

Thank god for you, Jim. Hope you enjoy good fortune in all things.

Jim was the #1 reason of being here, I'll be following him wherever he goes. Lead on and thank God for Jim!

No! We lost our not-everyday moron, Jim mf Sterling son.

Why do all the cool things keep leaving Escapist? Extra Credits, Doraleous, that science-movie thing, now Jim :\

Please don't drop Miracle of Sound.

Good luck to Jim! The Escapist will be poorer for his departure.

Farewell Jim Fucking Sterling, Son. You glorious exemplar of sexy. Glad to hear that you're still going to be producing content in the future, we need your brand of ascerbic wit now more than ever.

I started coming to the escapist for my blatant crush on Yahtzee (YES I CAN ADMIT IT, DAMNIT... Sorry, didn't mean to yell), but I found Jim here too and I have to say it's been so much fun watching his videos, getting to know him through his YT channel, and reading his reviews.

I'm not sure if the escapist already has someone in mind for replacement, but since a third of the content of this site was Jim Sterling, lets hope they do, because they just lost someone who did a lot of work. And it's sad, really sad. But I know I'm going to keep following him, and watching his YT, and funding his Paetron or however you spell it. Because he deserves it. He made great videos and he's worth ever cent.

Thank god for Jim Fucking Sterling, son.

Edit: Went and donated right away, and just to anyone curious, he's already at $4k+ so he's doing pretty good. I think we'll get some good content out of him yet.

dunam:

circularlogic88:

I'm assuming they're referring to Archon as the "boss" in that? Scratch that, looking at it again, perhaps they're talking about Defy Media as a whole. What was it that Defy was doing?

dunam:

circularlogic88:

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad between Jim and the escapist.

A real loss to The Escapist.

Thank God for Jim Fuckin' Sterling Son.

circularlogic88:

dunam:

circularlogic88:

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad between Jim and the escapist.

I imagine it's not Jim and the Escapist, but Jim and Alexander Macris and the higher ups at Defy, if Susan's comments are anything to go by (I miss her too D: )

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here