Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Wait, what!? What the hell happened!?

damn, thats unexpected. shame to see him go. not many things here for me to watch now.

Goodbye Jim ficking Sterling, son!

I wish you the best of luck in the future!
Here's for the things to come *raises bottle*

Thank God for Jim!

The Jimquisition used to be one of (if not) my favorite videos of all the gaming sites. I used to think "finally a consumer advocate for gamers, someone not afraid to tell it like it is. Someone who can help be our voice." I used to truly believe "Thank God for Jim."
Then GJP an event of industry rocking proportions happened, and you were no where to be found on the matter. As the subsequent shitstorm grew and got us to where we are today, it became increasingly clear where you stand. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a media personality and it has made me rethink everyone else I look up to. Consumer advocacy - at least until things truly do become uncomfortable, and there are real stakes for speaking out. Right Jim? "Get Angry" Indeed.

I wish you happiness in your next endeavor. But don't let the door hit you on the way out.

tacotrainwreck:
I wonder who Jim pissed off :P

If I had to guess: Probably us, the regulars, and it was the other way around. We pissed JIM off.
The Escapist became a sort of haven for GamerGate folks through the worst of it, which has been a source of distress on Jim's part for his past several videos.

He isn't signing with any other site, so I'm guessing he wasn't getting along well, politically, with someone.

hakkarin:
Why is he leaving in the first place?

So that when he criticizes developers and publishers the Escapist doesn't suffer from there retaliation in the form of loss of ad revenue and review copies.

Well, looks like I wont be coming back to the Escapist much. He was pretty much the most interesting thing on the site to be honest.

Now you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a Jim Sterling man, no time to talk.
Protests loud, and game-love warm,
I've been gaming around, Since I was born
And now it's all right, It's ok
And you may look the other way
We can try to understand
The Escapistmag's effect on man

There are...
No strings...
On Jim...

Odd, though. How long can the Escapist continue to bleed some of their best content?

I never really liked the whole concept of Jim Sterling - basically from what I've heard, he was a super nice guy IRL who was acting like a complete arrogant dick in all of the online content he was putting out. Yes, I understand what is a 'persona' and acting but still it sort of ruined his image for me as well as turned him somewhat unlikeable.

Even though I was never a fan of him, I can't say that I'm happy about him leaving. Escapist is slowly running out of people who love what they are doing and thus steadily losing what has made it unique. Won't be long till we have another site as soulless as Gametrailers on our hands.

Well, damn. Best of luck to Jim, I hope his Patreon stuff lands him on his feet.

Totally looking forward to what he does next.

ShakerSilver:
Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode.

I must have missed those episodes.

And really, it seems like a lot of his audience did. It's almost like this contempt is an imagined slight, but that can't be it. I mean, threes of people have commented on it. So I'm guessing he deleted the videos and all evidence of it.

Already supported his Patreon, looking forward to much more quality content. And I, for one, am glad he stayed mostly out of the GamerGate thing for the most part. That whole debacle was a fucking joke as it was, and everyone who stuck their nose in it was tainted for it. All the best to Jim fucking Sterling in his future endeavours.

I follow Jim on Youtube and other such places so not too big of a deal I suppose, I can get my Jim fix via other outlets but I'm interested in what the Escapist will do with his time slot, he was a big contributor after all.

Sorry to see him go, of course. I bookmarked his Patreon site, and will donate once I can afford it. Can't say I'm feeling the same doom and gloom about The Escapist that others are though. The site has seem good content come and go in the past, and they've always found something good to replace it. I'd say that as long as Yahtzee and LRR are still on board, things will probably be just fine.

p.s. Escapist: Don't drive off Yahtzee or the LRR crew.

Well, with Lisa leaving earlier this year and Jim leaving now, that's over half of the stuff I watch(ed) on here on a regular basis. Well at least there's still MovieBob and Yahtzee. Oh, and the forums, can't forget the forums.

Pyrian:
There are...
No strings...
On Jim...

If nobody's done a Jim Sterling/Ultron mashup by now, I am no longer in love with the internet.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy hell! Jim! What happened?! They fired Jim? Over what?!

So, another victim of the 'tolerant' GG movement...?

Kind of confused as to where this came from, but it's a shame.

I'm mainly here for ZP and MovieBob and Sterling.

So, here's hoping, you don't lose anymore of your main draws.

I've already gone to youtube for E.C., it'd be a shame if I ended up doing so for ZP and M.B.

Tanis:

And how exactly is this their fault?

A ballsy move.

For all that people bitch and moan about independence and integrity in games journalism, I hope they do recognize this a step towards that: independent, non corporate funded, and someone sufficiently well established to have all his biases on his sleeve. I was always under the opinion that game reviewing can only progress not by being less opinative, but by having its opinions coming from recognizable sources with which you can agree, disagree, relate or refute. I don't agree with Jim on a fair number of his reviews, but almost always see where he's coming from regarding specific gripes or points of praise. And that is the essential point.

It's also a move away from many of the things that turn this industry corrupt.

The real victim here is Yahtzee, who recorded himself singing Jim's praises after a spoonful of mustard. Will his sacrifice be in vain?

tacotrainwreck:
There goes a third of the Escapist. Now all that's left is Moviebob and Yahtzee. I wonder who Jim pissed off :P

MovieBob haha.

Nah seriously, Yahtzee is the only reason I will come here now. It's a shame the site is losing it's contributors .

Dogstile:

Tanis:

And how exactly is this their fault?

When a group's most "successful" actions are spamming advertisers of websites that said mean things about them, people are perfectly capable of seeing it for what it is, a threat and an attempt to silence people. I doubt Jim Fucking Sterling Son likes either of those things.

Gonna miss seeing Jim around these parts, and it's weird looking back now.

I didn't like his much videos at first, but then he grew on me and now I'm sad to see him go. I think he'll do great over there and still be the weird and dildo loving man we all know and love.

Thank God for Jim Fucking Sterling, son.

Kind of odd since did he just recently become the main reviewer for the site as well of main contributor.

Either way I wish him luck on his new endeavors.

If I were the Escapist, I'd be insanely worried about this. With Matt Lees making $3,300 a month on Patreon, Extra Credits making $9,000+ a month, and Jim Sterling jumping over $5,000 a month in just the first day, there seems to be a pretty good record of ex-Escapist content creators making excellent money on Patreon. I mean there is no way the Escapist is paying these people a six-figure annual salary. With that kind of money potentially in play, I can't imagine why Yahtzee and Bob (who are arguably just as popular as Jim) would decide to stay here. Time to give them a loyalty raise?

Yahtzee(and Bob I assume) gets along with Jim quite well as far as I know as a passing admirer of those English lions, so I assume The Escapist tread upon thin ice with the passing of Jim if it wasn't entirely Jim's call. I hope it was an agreeable parting.

He was a bit like Marmite but I will miss his honest and at times cutting clarity and will follow him to whatever promised land he wanders to. I do fear for this site which I have enjoyed browsing over the last few years for various people like Jim, Ben, Bob and those Crit Miss lads(and others who have now passed into legend).

Don't be too much a slave to the corperate machine Escapist or you loose so very much. Free spirit is why I read this site for I feel it has one.

Zachary Amaranth:
Totally looking forward to what he does next.

ShakerSilver:
Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode.

I must have missed those episodes.

And really, it seems like a lot of his audience did. It's almost like this contempt is an imagined slight, but that can't be it. I mean, threes of people have commented on it. So I'm guessing he deleted the videos and all evidence of it.

Before you go off sneering some more, merely look back at his "Objective Review" video and the blatant strawman and mocking attitude he gives to the mere concept of looking at works in a more impartial lens.

"Vote republican."

Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

Too bad, I honestly thought Jim was a fantastic choice for reviews editor (I seriously wish it had been moviebob leaving instead). I really enjoyed uncivil war and movie defense force; used to enjoy jimquisition until it started to leave a bad taste in my mouth over the last few weeks. Having followed jim's work both here and on youtube, I feel like he might have been stretching himself a bit thin: he's looked increasingly tired and disheveled and it's shown somewhat in the quality of his work.

I'm having a hard time telling if Jim voluntarily left or if this is basically an amicable firing: he's been running his mouth off a bit about escapist policies and staff as of late, not to mention all of that shit going down with the slaughtering grounds developer that he just had to drag onto the escapist in a jimquisition. Add to that the fact that he's already blacklisted by one publisher and it's not hard to see that he was too much of a liability to have anywhere else to go.

Jim seems to have landed comfortably on patreon, which is good seeing as he has a family to provide for (and amusing seeing some of the SJW crowd crying out for a split of the profits). I hope he enjoys his freedom, although I probably won't be following him anymore.

ShakerSilver:

Before you go off sneering some more, merely look back at his "Objective Review" video and the blatant strawman and mocking attitude he gives to the mere concept of looking at works in a more impartial lens.

"Vote republican."

Nope. Saw that episode. Maybe this is an imagined slight after all.

The Turnover rate at the Escapist is quite concerning.

I think Yatzee is the longest serving contributor now...

Not good news to stumble upon less than an hour after rewatching Toy Story 3 D:

Hmm, given that Uncivil War just ended it's "first season", I think this has probably been coming a little while in advance. Still for the Jimquisition and Movie Defence Force, they've gone out Lisa Foiles style which sucks.

Another thought: So that means Yahtzee will return to the most viewed spot? (Assuming Moviebob doesn't start making controversial videos each week). Just a thought. I also anticipate watching tomorrow's Let's Drown Out seeing as the Uncivil War didn't happen this week. To people who are a bit worried about Yahtzee, LDO seems to give the impression that he is so apathetic to most controversies and what not anyway. It will take something huge to unhinge him (assuming nobody questions what his opinion on a Game of the Year is).

Edit: Looks like it's finally time to subscribe to Sterling on YouTube, too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here