Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

ShakerSilver:

Lunar Templar:
So ... This is Gamer Gates fualt then? Wonderful, slowly but surely ruining things for every one ...

Welp, one less reason to hang out on the site I guess.

I'm not sure how you connected those two dots together. Unless you're talking about how GamerGate supporters exposed him for being complicit in the blacklisting of another games journalist, which doesn't really seem to be grounds for him to leave the Escapist.

So? Blacklisting doesn't happen for no reason. It's a 'brought it on your self' kinda thing. Why should he, or anyone else stand up for some one who 'shot them selves in the foot', so to speak.

Besides, while Jim might be leaving due to being tired of being under the corporate shadow, I wouldn't be surprised if the whiners in GG had some hand in it.

A very classy statement, Greg! I hate to think Jim's leaving will have a negative effect on The Escapist, since y'all are the only gaming website that has had a reasonable reaction to the #GamerGate cluster****. I don't wish Jim much ill will, though I'm glad my ad dollars aren't supporting his anti-gamer crap anymore (I'm proud to say I DON'T use ad blockers with The Escapist).

Slash2x:
What???? *Reads twitter posts*............................. Yup fuck it I am out. Canceling my prem membership and leaving. I know I am one of many but feel free to join me folks. This is just too much. I used to go to this site 10+ times a day reading through content. But the flagrant strawman pushing of GG as being all about sexism and the obvious push the higher ups have had to make the content creators talk about it.... Nope if Jim is out I am out too.

I'm a little confused in your statement... are you saying Jim is leaving because the Escapist is pushing for an anti-GG narrative? You recall Jim being very vocal about his dislike for GamerGate, right? He labeled those supporting it to be right-wing reactionaries and literally said "Fuck the Escapist" for putting up the Male Developer Interviews article.

Lunar Templar:

ShakerSilver:

Lunar Templar:
So ... This is Gamer Gates fualt then? Wonderful, slowly but surely ruining things for every one ...

Welp, one less reason to hang out on the site I guess.

I'm not sure how you connected those two dots together. Unless you're talking about how GamerGate supporters exposed him for being complicit in the blacklisting of another games journalist, which doesn't really seem to be grounds for him to leave the Escapist.

So? Blacklisting doesn't happen for no reason. It's a 'brought it on your self' kinda thing. Why should he, or anyone else stand up for some one who 'shot them selves in the foot', so to speak.

Yes, Blacklisting happens for a reason. Doesn't make them good reasons. Especially when the action is illegal, like Blacklisting. This isn't about standing up for someone, this is about being complicit in an illegal act.

Pyrian:
There are...
No strings...
On Jim...

Odd, though. How long can the Escapist continue to bleed some of their best content?

Now he is....free

OT: sad to see him go but I can't say I'm surpirsed, the last few videos and the whole Gamergate thing have because something of a mess, especially on here where most threads on off topic and gaming are about genderism, sexism, gamergate, zoe, Anita etc. I've grown tired of seeing the trend continue to a point where this place hardly feels like a site to dicuss games but more a place about media and the former topics mentioned above, with Jim gone I feel there's less value in the Escapist, well at least to me since I've grown bored of Yahtzee's reviews and only end up watching his drown out videos.

Farewell Jim, I'll follow where you deliver and hope you find more suitable outlets for the masses to thank god for you.

ShakerSilver:
Good for him.

Can't say I'll miss him. I've stopped watching his show weeks ago. I've grown tired of Jim. Tired of his blatant fence-sitting, hypocrisy, and opportunism. Tired of his sneer and condescending attitude towards his audience. Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode. Still, didn't stop him from raising some good points here and there, and if there's a audience for just that, then hopefully they won't mind the ego that comes along with it.

Best of luck to you, Jim. Hopefully you can get your head our of your ass and realize why "being a consumer advocate on your own terms" is an idiotic stance to take.

PS: Still haven't heard his response to the Allistar Pinsoff blacklisting that he himself was complicit in. Only talking about bullshit the industry does when it's big corporations, but ignoring it when it may implicate yourself or your peers in wrongdoing? Why that's just the Jim Sterling way, ladies and gents.

I pretty much agree with this.

Jim's videos alternated between "No shit, Sherlock" advice and completely missing the point, but who needs insight when you can just read EA/Activision/Ubisoft press releases and call them stupid?

ShakerSilver:

Well, you have GG supporters talking about it, like Atmos did, so that sort of might connect the dots somewhat.

LifeCharacter:

Well, there's numerous differences between an organized movement to contact the advertisers of any website that criticizes you, and people expressing disapproval over, in order: funding a hate movement, preaching bigotry supporting anti-gay legislation and protesting mosques for being non-Christian, comparing homosexuality to bestiality terrorism and drunks, and calling a woman a slut because she advocates for birth control like every other logical human being.

I mean, I know your post history so I'm not surprised you don't think highly of people who disagree with bigotry, but how about you stop pretending vocal disagreement and boycott is the same as spamming advertisers because someone (accused them of, because GamerGate has the literacy of a toddler) criticized some whiny tantrum of a movement or didn't allow them to do anything and everything they wanted.

And, just for fun, I do hope that you've made your condemnation for a movement that does things you obviously don't agree with clear. I wouldn't want you to be seen as a hypocrite who only opposes things like the above listed only when they're about certain things.

The simplest solution is this:

You have the right to protest anyone you want, to campaign or boycott.

You also have the right to call another such expression of that right stupid, pointless, wrong, even bigoted.

Trying to differentiate the Mozilla case is simply going to make your position look weak. And you're free to disagree with me on that, because that's the glory of this sort of thing. But unless you can demonstrate actual harassment, then their practice isn't really all that different, and that's when saying "it's different" turns into an excuse or dismissal rather than real conversation. As long as they didn't break any laws, their little hate group is free to choose who to patronise and free to choose to tell advertisers as such.

Don't fall into the same trap a lot of them have, where when you're doing it it's free speech and when someone else is doing it it's censorship. Try and be better than those you condemn, otherwise, you might as well join them.

Andy Shandy:
Susan isn't at Polygon, but at Joystiq. Her husband, (and also former EIC here) Russ Pitts, was at Polygon but left fairly recently.

They're a couple?!

*insert any "D'awww"-esque GIF here*

It's a shame they can't share the same workplace, though. At least they share the same area of interest.

ShakerSilver:

Zachary Amaranth:
Totally looking forward to what he does next.

ShakerSilver:
Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode.

I must have missed those episodes.

And really, it seems like a lot of his audience did. It's almost like this contempt is an imagined slight, but that can't be it. I mean, threes of people have commented on it. So I'm guessing he deleted the videos and all evidence of it.

Before you go off sneering some more, merely look back at his "Objective Review" video and the blatant strawman and mocking attitude he gives to the mere concept of looking at works in a more impartial lens.

"Vote republican."

Fox12:
Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

... I like MovieBob ='(
OT: Bye Jim I'll follow you where ever you land. The Escapist not fighting tooth nail to keep you on was a mistake IMO... though I'm not sure why you left.

Zachary Amaranth:
Don't fall into the same trap a lot of them have, where when you're doing it it's free speech and when someone else is doing it it's censorship. Try and be better than those you condemn, otherwise, you might as well join them.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that it'd be wrong to make that argument, but I didn't think my argument would come across that way. The difference isn't really in the opinion, but rather it's in the method. As far as I'm aware, there was no organized campaign to contact the advertisers for each of those incidents I responded to. The fact that one set are related to bigotry while the other is a tantrum over people criticizing your movement just puts the proportionality of responses into perspective.

What? It's been a bad year for escapists contributors, first Lisa, now Jim Fucking Stirling Son! :(

LifeCharacter:

Super Not Cosmo:
But somehow I bet you thought that the lynch mob that got that poor bastard at Mozilla shit canned was just aces. Also, I bet you were on board with a similar mob of frothing thin skinned morons getting the show of two fellas on HGTV pulled. I would also wager dollars to dog shit that you were probably cheering on the pack of angry liberals who did their damnedest to get the guy from Duck Dynasty yanked from television and dropped by the companies he promotes. Finally I can't say I'd horribly surprised to hear that you were, once again, waving pom poms and cheering for the people who pressured many advertisers to pull ads from Rush Limbaughs show after he called that college girl who wanted the American people to pony up for birth control so she could screw indiscriminately. The point in all this being that it's pretty fucking hilarious to hear a liberal cry about this sort of thing when using a mob to cost people jobs/advertisers is one of their oldest and most used tactics.

Well, there's numerous differences between an organized movement to contact the advertisers of any website that criticizes you, and people expressing disapproval over, in order: funding a hate movement, preaching bigotry supporting anti-gay legislation and protesting mosques for being non-Christian, comparing homosexuality to bestiality terrorism and drunks, and calling a woman a slut because she advocates for birth control like every other logical human being.

I mean, I know your post history so I'm not surprised you don't think highly of people who disagree with bigotry, but how about you stop pretending vocal disagreement and boycott is the same as spamming advertisers because someone (accused them of, because GamerGate has the literacy of a toddler) criticized some whiny tantrum of a movement or didn't allow them to do anything and everything they wanted.

And, just for fun, I do hope that you've made your condemnation for a movement that does things you obviously don't agree with clear. I wouldn't want you to be seen as a hypocrite who only opposes things like the above listed only when they're about certain things.

So what you are saying is you are fine with people being silenced just so long as it's the people you disagree with being silenced? That's what I'm getting here. Perform all the mental gymnastics you like but the fact remain they are both groups of people trying to silence dissenting voices using a mob to bully employers/sponsors/distributors. I think it's a shitty thing to do regardless of who it's being done to but you seem to be just fine with it so long as it's someone you don't agree with that's being silenced.

Ah shoot man. That makes me sad. Jim is one of my favorites on here. No matter! I'll follow you where you go Jim! You're the greatest. Man. Really surprising news to me. Hope nothing negative caused him to leave. I feel like he's a great asset to the gaming community. Honest opinions and reviews and caustic criticism of the bullshit some devs try to get away with. Much luck Jim! I'm sure you're going to continue to kick all of the asses everywhere buddy!

After the outbursts on twitter this didn't come as a surprise to me. He was pro-censorship and Greg Tito probably wasn't giving him any ground on that.

I also think JS overreacted. He could just stay out of the RnP forums if he didn't want to look at it.

That being said, his Patreon account is probably gonna reach like 10K bucks a month at this rate. That's a pretty sweet salary for an independent.

LifeCharacter:
The fact that one set are related to bigotry while the other is a tantrum over people criticizing your movement just puts the proportionality of responses into perspective.

What an awful case of revisionist history. As far as I'm aware, the only sites that are having advertisers contacted are those that ran those awful "Gamers and dead" articles, which did little more than insult the majority of readers for those sites. I don't see why someone would take issue with consumers being opposed to websites that would attempt to shame their consumer base and contacting their advertisers because of how they are displeased with their partners.

ShakerSilver:

Lunar Templar:

ShakerSilver:

Yes, Blacklisting happens for a reason. Doesn't make them good reasons. Especially when the action is illegal, like Blacklisting. This isn't about standing up for someone, this is about being complicit in an illegal act.

No one made those people sign on the dotted line. Illegal or not the blame still falls on those who signed, and no one else. If it turned around and bit them in the ass later, that's really their problem, cause they should have never signed on the dotted line to begin with.

ShakerSilver:

LifeCharacter:
The fact that one set are related to bigotry while the other is a tantrum over people criticizing your movement just puts the proportionality of responses into perspective.

What an awful case of revisionist history. As far as I'm aware, the only sites that are having advertisers contacted are those that ran those awful "Gamers and dead" articles, which did little more than insult the majority of readers for those sites. I don't see why someone would take issue with consumers being opposed to websites that would attempt to shame their consumer base and contacting their advertisers because of how they are displeased with their partners.

And those awful "Gamers are Dead" articles are not so awful if you manage to actually read them. You know what they actually said? That the old stereotype of what a gamer is is gone. That gaming is more diverse than that stereotype. That people didn't have to appeal solely to that stereotype anymore. So, you're right, I was a bit revisionist; it's not the difference between bigotry and criticism, it's the difference between bigotry and an inability to read properly.

hakkarin:
Why is he leaving in the first place?

In his Patreon page he says he's grown to dislike the "ad-supported model" of the "established outlets" of the "videogame media". Make of that what you will.

I'm not gonna miss him terribly, all I watched was Uncivil War and that was just for Yahtzee. Best of luck to him and all but my heart was already broken when Lisa left, and The Escapist staff didn't so much as acknowledge it. She just vanished. Poof. Now all we have left is Yahtzee's ZP and 50% Movie Bob stuff. And I can't stand Movie Bob. Beginning with his inappropriate name. He's Marvel Bob at this point. Or Clickbait Bob. Or Rumormonger Bob.

thedailylunatic:
A very classy statement, Greg!

Yeah, just like the one he didn't make when Lisa packed her things earlier this year.

I'm curious.

Given Jim's remarks after announcing his departure from the Escapist, I'm wondering why the management has nothing to say about his badmouthing (in public) his former employers. I don't care who he is; I would be publicly disavowing any former employee who speaks about my company in that way. Is management really okay with what he has to say?

Additionally, while I admire Jim's initiative in striking out on his own (and succeeding, after taking a look at his new Patreon, holy shit), this kinda seems like he is taking his football and going home, while badmouthing everyone as he leaves. I still think he is a hypocrite of the highest order, but it baffles me how a reputable company will tolerate his unprofessional behavior, regardless of his opinions.

You guys should hire Boogie to replace him, though. I would buy Premium membership if you did.

Super Not Cosmo:
So what you are saying is you are fine with people being silenced just so long as it's the people you disagree with being silenced? That's what I'm getting here. Perform all the mental gymnastics you like but the fact remain they are both groups of people trying to silence dissenting voices using a mob to bully employers/sponsors/distributors. I think it's a shitty thing to do regardless of who it's being done to but you seem to be just fine with it so long as it's someone you don't agree with that's being silenced.

What I'm saying is that there is a difference between people expressing disapproval and withholding their own patronage and spamming advertisers. The different motives involved just help paint one group as a hypersensitive bunch who have no concept of perspective. If you'd like to make it general enough then yes, the only difference between the two is whether I agree with them or not, but generalities are for those who'd prefer misrepresentation over reality.

SlumlordThanatos:

Additionally, while I admire Jim's initiative in striking out on his own (and succeeding, after taking a look at his new Patreon, holy shit), this kinda seems like he is taking his football and going home, while badmouthing everyone as he leaves. I still think he is a hypocrite of the highest order, but it baffles me how a reputable company will tolerate his unprofessional behavior, regardless of his opinions.

He's pissed because they interviewed Roguestar in their gg interviews, who has apparently gone out of his way to attack Jim in the past. Essentially, they put their desire to interview an absolute asshole so as not to look 'tehbiased' to gamergaters ahead of the well being of their biggest contributor. That is why Jim is badmouthing them. I can't say I blame him, I'd be pissed too if my boss did something like that. Really lowers my opinion of Archon.

LifeCharacter:
What I'm saying is that there is a difference between people expressing disapproval and withholding their own patronage and spamming advertisers. The different motives involved just help paint one group as a hypersensitive bunch who have no concept of perspective. If you'd like to make it general enough then yes, the only difference between the two is whether I agree with them or not, but generalities are for those who'd prefer misrepresentation over reality.

Justify it however you like but the fact remains that it's rather hypocritical to cry foul when a group you disagree with uses the exact same tactics as groups you probably support if not belong to have been using for years. Some people of lesser restraint might ask how it feels to get a taste of your own medicine. It's a good thing I'm a paragon of restraint.

As I said before liberals pretty much have made an art form out of crying "Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence!!!!" while they use bullying tactics to silence dissenting voices. Media Matters pretty much exists for this sole purpose. The people that run that website comb through every last word people like Limbaugh and Hannity and Beck and conservative talk hosts utter in the hopes that they slip up and say something that they can put out there to use against them.

For all their squawking and shrieking about wanting equality and freedom what liberals like these want is compliance and a means of silencing anyone who might speak against them.

ShakerSilver:

LifeCharacter:

People have threatened to do the same to the Escapist for-
1. -having an editor who said that he felt the quinnspiracy was ultimately mysoginistic nonsense, nonsense which he would allow to be discussed because of his patience and idealism, but still nonsense.
2. -having a popular forum group who hated GG.
3. -having a volunteer moderation staff who's mysterious ways often lead to new posters quickly getting banned for stepping on too many toes.

Pretty certain that number 1 is an unwarranted attempt to silence others, and the others are hilarious.

EDIT-
Actually, I want to back down from this comment. I don't like saying that consumer revolt, even the unwarranted kind, constitute censorship or silencing. I tend to think that unless you're using force of law or the threat of force, you can't be legitimately accused of any kind of censorship. Intellectual cowardice or stupidity, sure, but not censorship.

Super Not Cosmo:
Justify it however you like but the fact remains that it's rather hypocritical to cry foul when a group you disagree with uses the exact same tactics as groups you probably support if not belong to have been using for years. Some people of lesser restraint might ask how it feels to get a taste of your own medicine. It's a good thing I'm a paragon of restraint.

Except they're not using the exact same tactics, which was exactly my point before you decided you'd rather whine about liberals than actually read what I wrote. As I said, the difference between one group and the other's motives just puts things in perspective, especially when one of the group's issues is that their offense is in response to something completely fictional.

Even after reading four pages, I'm still laughing too hard at "hipster welfare" to say anything articulate, so I guess I'll just say see you later space fucking cowboy, son.

Fox12:
He also tends to give bad films good reviews based solely on their political message, which has a negative impact on my ability to trust hid judgement of artistic quality. A film that delivers a message I support in a clumsy manner is a bad movie. Bob doesn't seem to understand that.

I don't know about that, he's given some negative reviews for movies that have political messages that he agrees with, like one of his earlier reviews on this site, Monsters, where its a movie right up his alley in just about every way but he couldn't say one single remotely positive thing about it other than "well, at least it was sincere"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/2266-Monsters

Zachary Amaranth:

I feel like mentioning there's a difference between vocally not giving a company your patronage because of something they do/did (boycott), and spamming the inbox of advertisers relentlessly with sockpuppets lying about how "corrupt" the sites they are advertising on are in the hopes that the frustration of dealing with what would be properly defined as harassment were they not being paid to slog through it so that the advertisers pull out just so that they don't have to deal with the bullshit of a bunch of twelve-year olds.

ThreeName:
And I'm only just now hearing about some sort of blacklisting issue? Good Lord.

He's been stated as far back as 2012, possibly earlier, that he's been blacklisted by Konami. Its mentioned in some of the Jimquisition videos here on The Escapist as well. The fact that he's been blacklisted has never been hidden, its just that people are naturally questioning whether or not this blacklisting was something that was hurting The Escapist to a degree that management saw fit to do something about it, be it from a slap on the wrist through the history of his tenure here or firing him just now.

LifeCharacter:

Super Not Cosmo:

Except they're not using the exact same tactics, which was exactly my point before you decided you'd rather whine about liberals than actually read what I wrote. As I said, the difference between one group and the other's motives just puts things in perspective, especially when one of the group's issues is that their offense is in response to something completely fictional.

Why are you arguing with him?

He once said "95% of blacks are either criminals or on welfare"

He once said "GLAAD are domestic terrorists, and are worse than the KKK"

You are not going to get through.

ShakerSilver:

Zachary Amaranth:
Totally looking forward to what he does next.

ShakerSilver:
Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode.

I must have missed those episodes.

And really, it seems like a lot of his audience did. It's almost like this contempt is an imagined slight, but that can't be it. I mean, threes of people have commented on it. So I'm guessing he deleted the videos and all evidence of it.

Before you go off sneering some more, merely look back at his "Objective Review" video and the blatant strawman and mocking attitude he gives to the mere concept of looking at works in a more impartial lens.

"Vote republican."

Haha wow the point of that video couldn't have flown over your head any higher unless it took orbit.

LarsInCharge:

Oh I know, I've been in R&P for a while so it'd be a difficult not to notice someone like him. But this isn't about him and it never is. This is about everyone else watching this. I won't convince someone so entrenched in their disgusting views, but I might help convince someone else.

And, sometimes, simply pointing out how wrong someone is is reward enough.

LarsInCharge:

LifeCharacter:

Super Not Cosmo:

He once said "Why does Yahtzee say 'fuck you, got mine' like its a bad thing?"

The Boxxy avatar does make me question the validity of his opinions, though.

Good luck to him, we need more pro-consumer watchdog game journalists overall and I think Jim is as pro-consumer as they come really.

Although I'm sure nobody would give any numbers it would be interesting to find out how much Jim will make now via Patreon in comparison to what he was making at The Escapist. I didn't expect Patreon to be so prolific in terms of funding, he's almost at $6000 per month which is pretty crazy for an independent content creator.

Revnak:
People have threatened to do the same to the Escapist for-
1. -having an editor who said that he felt the quinnspiracy was ultimately mysoginistic nonsense, nonsense which he would allow to be discussed because of his patience and idealism, but still nonsense.
2. -having a popular forum group who hated GG.
3. -having a volunteer moderation staff who's mysterious ways often lead to new posters quickly getting banned for stepping on too many toes.

Pretty certain that number 1 is an unwarranted attempt to silence others, and the others are hilarious.

Yet there's no effort by GG to take down adverts on the Escapist because they have no problem with the Escapist itself. The site has not made a concentrated effort to mock or silence those that support it, unlike other sites, and allows for dialogue, which is more than enough for GG supporters. The developer interviews were just added bonuses, because they wanted more then ever to hear game developers speak on the issue.

Lunar Templar:
No one made those people sign on the dotted line. Illegal or not the blame still falls on those who signed, and no one else. If it turned around and bit them in the ass later, that's really their problem, cause they should have never signed on the dotted line to begin with.

It's his fault that his employers were pressured by other parties to fire him and have organize other editors to not hire him? I'm not sure I follow the logic there.

Red Panda:
Haha wow the point of that video couldn't have flown over your head any higher unless it took orbit.

Care to clue me in on it then or are you just going to make snide comments?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!
Even if I often disagree with your opinion on certain things.
(funny, your episode about gay Shepard was reason why I joined Escapist- damn time flies fast)
Good luck Jim!
And thank non-existing God for you.

ShakerSilver:
Good for him.

Can't say I'll miss him. I've stopped watching his show weeks ago. I've grown tired of Jim. Tired of his blatant fence-sitting, hypocrisy, and opportunism. Tired of his sneer and condescending attitude towards his audience. Even without the more recent events, his contempt for the audience was becoming more palpable with every episode. Still, didn't stop him from raising some good points here and there, and if there's a audience for just that, then hopefully they won't mind the ego that comes along with it.

Best of luck to you, Jim. Hopefully you can get your head our of your ass and realize why "being a consumer advocate on your own terms" is an idiotic stance to take.

PS: Still haven't heard his response to the Allistar Pinsoff blacklisting that he himself was complicit in. Only talking about bullshit the industry does when it's big corporations, but ignoring it when it may implicate yourself or your peers in wrongdoing? Why that's just the Jim Sterling way, ladies and gents.

Couldn't say better myself.

MarsAtlas:
He's been stated as far back as 2012, possibly earlier, that he's been blacklisted by Konami. Its mentioned in some of the Jimquisition videos here on The Escapist as well. The fact that he's been blacklisted has never been hidden, its just that people are naturally questioning whether or not this blacklisting was something that was hurting The Escapist to a degree that management saw fit to do something about it, be it from a slap on the wrist through the history of his tenure here or firing him just now.

No, not him being blacklisted, him being a part of the blacklisting of someone else. I honestly couldn't be arsed following it up, but you seem to have been reading a few comments on this thread too so I'm surprised you haven't noticed it. Apparently the fellow's name is "Allistar Pinsoff" if you feel inclined to look into it.

Fox12:

RaikuFA:

Fox12:
Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

I do.

When he covers nerd type stuff and isn't shoving his politics down our throats.

I used to be fond of him, but he just became so petty and vindictive. I've seen his twitter feed, and he has a rather ugly personality when he gets irritated (which is often, apparently). He also tends to give bad films good reviews based solely on their political message, which has a negative impact on my ability to trust hid judgement of artistic quality. A film that delivers a message I support in a clumsy manner is a bad movie. Bob doesn't seem to understand that.

It's funny, I started off hating Jim and loving Bob, but that's clearly changed quite a lot. I'll miss Sterling. I am curious about what went down, though. It can't just be Gamer gate, right?

I am sure the tipping point was the interview to Roguestar. Both Tito and Macris said that they had received evidence of harassment from Roguestar to other members of the staff, presumably Jim, and presumably convincing enough to take down the interview. Jim made jis feelings known in no uncertain terms in a a tweet ("Fuck the Escapist"), and then later expanded in a Neogaf post that he was mad, above all else, for the lack of disclosure from his higher ups to him and signing that series of interviews on behalf of all the staff... which, given Sterling's vocal opposition, simply was not true. He also stated that he was pondering long and hard about his career, and certainly his work since has seemed a bit half assed here and there, in comparison.

All that said, though, I tend to find it ironic that what he's doing would actually make him posterboy of Gamer Gate under were it someone else. I mean, going off the path of ads and clickbait to let his readership support him directly, with no obligations to any corporation or editorial but his own and the fanbase who financially supports him, Actually, That IS all about ethics in games journalism.

Pardon the pun.

Captcha: words of wisdom

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook