Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

circularlogic88:
What the hell? This came out of nowhere. Did the slaughtering grounds devs start looking at the escapist with legal action or something and this is their way of distancing themselves from Jim?

Sarcasm: No I think they want to draw him closer and possibly even rename escapist "The Jim Sterling Show" because his views and reviews make getting advertising on the site soooo much easier.

Humour: No point in having a legal team if your not going to use them, Jim kept everyone busy.

Reality: Totally.

I only really started watching Jim's stuff about 18 months ago, he won me over. I basically only watch 3 reviews these days. Yahtzee, Jim and Angry Joe, in that order. So I am sorry to see Jim go and I will follow his work, but Im not in the least bit surprised.

I work in Occupational Health and Safety and I know exactly what its like to have "differing views" with an employer or contractor. After almost 20 years doing the work, the one thing I know for sure is, business will default to the money every single time. This however is only right.... its business after all. But along the way good people get hurt for just trying to do their jobs.

Good on ya Jim, you won a fan in me and I will track down your work. Thanks for the honesty of your contributions so far, please don't change a thing man.

cleric of the order:

Revnak:

What blacklistings? The one guy that keeps getting brought up specifically said he thinks Jim was a good guy who actually tried to help him. Everybody else are fucking complaining about being shutdown on private sites in individual cases because nobody has to give you a platform to say anything. I don't know, maybe you're talking about gamejournopros, which is only evidence of some vague form of collusion, which sounds like exactly the kind of thing Jim would not like.

The destructoid one, not sure of all the details but I am certain that a man was fired from destructoid and the games journos pros mailing list conspired to keep him out of the industry. If you want to look into it yourself this article might give you some pointers to the right direction.

Yeah, I think my compatriot was referring to the fact that Jim was a part of the mailing list and there for had the responsibility to expose this corruption, but in truth he's not that insane.
I have no idea what his direct involvement is and I don't want to point fingers without being sure.

Reposting this from an earlier post of mine:

Allistair Pinsof stated more than a few times in twitter and in AMA that Jim was always fine by him during his firing and has cleared his name of any involvement. He stated that on twitter, but I don't know how to search one's feed, but I *can* provide his AMA on Reddit.

Q:In your story, you told of Jim Sterling' breakdown[Grimner note: Allistair tweeted that Jim cried on the phone whilte talking to Pinsof about the situation]. Now that he's no longer at Destructoid, do you think you can get him to tell his perspective of your firing now?

A: "Breakdown" is a pretty dramatic way to frame it. He, like most not directly involved, felt conflicted in how things went down between me and Niero. I think he was sympathetic to my situation, having been there before.
I don't think it'd be to either of our interests for him to expand on those feelings. He's a good guy that I was always happy to see and talk to. He's a real person in an industry with few of them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k8kds/iama_exgame_journalist_who_has_been_used_as/

So, long story short, Jim's involvement in the firing of Pinsof (which was justified, by Allistair's own admission, and the point of contention lies in the fact that Dtoid did misinform him, push for the story, and refused to deal with the fallout) was only inasmuch as he had editor status on the site (which doesn't overrule CEO). The actual people involved were Niero, the GJP where Niero asked for opinions on Pinsof's termination (a list that, again in Pinsof's words, Jim had no interest and actually a little contempt for) and possibly Dale North, who already resigned in disagreement with Dtoid when this broke out. Jim had no involvement or actual final say.

Wow it's funny watching these 'gamergate' people turn lashing out at Jim while he's on his way out, because he had the audacity to stay silent on this oh most critical of issues!

Well regardless of all that junk good on Jim for setting out on his own. First time I heard of this Patreaon thing though, but it makes you wonder how sites will keep popular personalities around. But as said sites become increasingly beholden to corporate and marketing interests that's a great thing.

Well, since I can now follow MoS AND Jim offsite, my reasons for visiting the Escapist continue to decrease in number. Has he already set up his own site?

RaikuFA:

Fox12:
Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

I do.

When he covers nerd type stuff and isn't shoving his politics down our throats.

True. Especially with that last Big Picture. I imagine that coupled with this will deal a hefty blow to the numbers on this site.

Jim, your show was terrible in the beginning, but there was something about you and I kept watching. It was somewhere around when you read your Mass Effect homoerotic slash fiction that I realized I had fell in love with your sarcastic wit. You were our voice in the community, one that I didn't always agree with, but one I was thankful for, and though I hated reading other commenters for writing your catch phrase, I bid you a fond farewell and, Thank God for Jim!

PS: I might just fund your Patreon to see you lick a dildo again. That shit just wrecked me. Yes, I am a 36 year old man, and I find dildo licking incredibly comedic.

I have to admit, I'm now reconsidering my Pub-Club membership. I watch for Miracle of Sound and Jim Sterling. I buy all of Gavin's songs in the end to support his music, and I'm now backing Jim's patreon. Its just not leaving much here for me. Will wait and see what they bring in to supplement.

thedailylunatic:
A very classy statement, Greg! I hate to think Jim's leaving will have a negative effect on The Escapist, since y'all are the only gaming website that has had a reasonable reaction to the #GamerGate cluster****. I don't wish Jim much ill will, though I'm glad my ad dollars aren't supporting his anti-gamer crap anymore (I'm proud to say I DON'T use ad blockers with The Escapist).

I will say that The Escapist reaction to #GamerGate is one of the main reasons why i'm staying. I.E. discussing it and reporting on it rather than just casting their chips in with one side and shamelessly bashing the other.

Well the site as a whole i mean. Bob's being being rather ugly about it.

The Lunatic:

MarsAtlas:
but they're not throwing a bitch fit over people who reviewed Unity poorly not receiving review copies of Far Cry 4.

This whole goalpost moving is amusing, but, ultimately pointless.

What exactly are you expecting people to do here?

Stop buying Ubisoft games? I haven't bought one since AC2.

Pressure Ubisoft to change their policies? They already did.

Discuss Review embargo? Already done. It's a one-sided debate. Nobody likes them when they're like this.

Harass people at Ubisoft? People in Gamergate do not condone harassment.

So, really, what are you expecting from people here?

Just to be generically angry?

This whole quoting out of context thing is amusing but ultimately pointless. The point MarsAtlas was clearly making was that all these people apparently focused on ethics are kicking up a shitstorm at Jim but not even acknowledging the far bigger issue going on with Ubisoft here. I would say Jim's 'crimes' are far less deserving of rebuke than Ubisoft effectively censoring anyone they think might not give FC4 a 10/10. The point being made was not "let's all shout at Ubi" but that you can't justify shouting at Jim in the name of ethics over a relatively small issue while completely ignoring the sort of behaviour that should be priority one for those truly seeking ethical behaviour in the industry.

Also it's more than a little funny that all the reasons you give for not bothering to react to Ubi being jerks could very easily be applied in reverse. What exactly are you expecting to happen by gathering a mob and screaming into the internet because the big mean man said something you disagreed with?

Side note: Crap like this is what has made GG little more than a joke to so many people, Jim has made valid logical points as well as making less gracious emotionally fueled remarks about all this. I'm yet to see a compelling explanation why the GG hashtag is still being used by people with a genuine issue to discuss. It's clearly been corrupted beyond credibility at this point and the kind of response that bringing up the G word provokes clearly detracts from serious, rational debate. If it really is all about ethics in game journalism why continue to wave about the verbal equivalent of a swastika while doing so rather than simply making your point without it?

Good luck & thank god for Jim. Hope to see lots of clear unbiased coverage on your youtube Jimothy, freeing yourself from being a reviewer on any site that gets payment through advertisements creates a slight conflict of interest. I can only hope that you are able to get press passes for events like e3 for his channel. Please remember the silver lining to all of this is the more people reviewing games that are not in any way financially tied to the publisher or developer the more trustworthy they can be.

Ken_J:

RaikuFA:

Fox12:
Wow, really? First Extra Credits, now this? Why couldn't you take Moviebob? Nobody likes Moviebob!

I do.

True. Especially with that last Big Picture. I imagine that coupled with this will deal a hefty blow to the numbers on this site.

Shoving is a strong word for you voluntarily visiting the Escapist, voluntarily clicking the big picture episode and then voluntarily sitting through it to the end. Also keep in mind the Big Pictures stated goal in the very first episode was to be a place for him to talk about whatever the hell he wants to, not specifically anything. You want get mad about him forcefully inserting political opinions into Escape to the Movies is more fair but I still think it falls well under his own personal critics of a movie. I mean he doesn't go off on left leaning rants that have nothing to do with the movie in question as far as I ever remember. But then again I seem to be one of the few people that actually really like MovieBobs stuff a whole bunch.

Revnak:

cleric of the order:

Revnak:

What blacklistings? The one guy that keeps getting brought up specifically said he thinks Jim was a good guy who actually tried to help him. Everybody else are fucking complaining about being shutdown on private sites in individual cases because nobody has to give you a platform to say anything. I don't know, maybe you're talking about gamejournopros, which is only evidence of some vague form of collusion, which sounds like exactly the kind of thing Jim would not like.

The destructoid one, not sure of all the details but I am certain that a man was fired from destructoid and the games journos pros mailing list conspired to keep him out of the industry. If you want to look into it yourself this article might give you some pointers to the right direction.

Yeah, I think my compatriot was referring to the fact that Jim was a part of the mailing list and there for had the responsibility to expose this corruption, but in truth he's not that insane.
I have no idea what his direct involvement is and I don't want to point fingers without being sure.

That's the one I mentioned. He wasn't involved, and the blacklisted fellow said that Jim is in no way to blame.

I like i said don't know much about it.

Revnak:

I like games, and I accept that the fact that they can help people deal with stress is a good thing. I'm just putting things into context. They're ultimately still just games. They are not what most strongly defines us, or what most strongly divides us.

Bullshit. If nobody criticized art there would be no great art. If Scott McCloud ever actually meant that, then he is a coward.

I disagree, The artist must create for something to be criticized, further more they have to stand to look to evolve their medium not critics.
he never said critics never helped or even mentioned critics at all and while I could get in a pissing match, clutching my Copy of Letters to a Young poet to my heart it's better to simply say. Creation has to come first, an artist has to make what they want to inspire people, to draw people in to show off their soul. To push the bounds of what is and what isn't know about the medium. Comics used to be nothing but vaudeville you know.

Revnak:

Yeah, I know that many who are complaining here are poor, on both sides. I just didn't like that he was framing this as the little guys abusing the big guys. Also, I do think a lot of the nonsense is rooted in the economic class of those who are arguing, all of them acting like they are the biggest victims in the world despite their total financial security. Rich folk get to complain more about less. I'd know.

Yes, it's the maslov's hierarchy of needs, so many people are trying to find something do stride against on both sides. Injustices out of molehills and slights from leather shirts.

Revnak:

Yeah, but my point was that any system can be good or bad based on your arguments about them. Systems aren't just neutral.

I'd I know, that's why I prefaced with this is pedantry, I have to go and point it out when it comes around, I'd not be upholding my views and I'd have just been pushing my agenda from back when i was a communist.

Revnak:

I think I can mostly agree here, but it should be noted that much of the moderator response to the Quinn stuff was out of fear that people were going to do illegal shit. Never stopped threads in the past, so I can see it as kinda being an overreaction, but at least they had a reason. I really wish they hadn't shut down their threads because then all the cancerous bullshit would have stayed there rather than having come here. Never watched MundaneMatt's video though. Mostly because I hate most controversy YouTubers.

My issue is not with the idea of GamerGate, it is with the people who actually see this as some kind of righteous, glorious war for the sake of gaming's soul. They bother me. On both sides.

Nah man, we don't have a warlike mentality ... well not all of us, I do like the blood an thunder of war, the rush of battle and a nice cup of dramatic arts.
A lot of them are pretty laid back people.

Revnak:

And I have never channed. I just like the word faggot far too much for somebody who is as progressive as I am, and I have a hard time finding a good public context to use it.

Dude not sure what to tell you, I mean shit.
Okay dude, just be okay with things man, our generation is the most progressive and welcoming of any to date, feels good man.
Faggot is not inherently offensive, nor do I believe it hatespeech without the direct hate, and I might be a 'channer (4chan be dead)

Revnak:

Aside from the dismissal of criticism of games on some moral ground (which is fine as long as it remains criticism and nothing more), I think this is all pretty agreeable. I really like it when I find people who don't want this to be a battle, just an effort for change. That is what we need more of. Everywhere.

Yes. We could all use a tick of insight, and while I feel like a hippie none of this matters.
This whole thing is driven by selfish desire minced, so many clamoring to call themselves right and willing to go at any just lengths to prove it admittedly I'm more willing to point at anti GG but I know we have our dirty laundry too.
I really wish we could set aside our own perspectives for this to try and figure out what's best, I am under no delusions that game journos are well paid and there is a lot of things that need to be fixed in our industry, that is is likely the symptom of.
But there are more things then that, Lots of us are frankly confused about the tumblrisms coming out, the insults and dehumanization along with the doxxing on either side. (Sargon got a set of cutlery sent to his house recently, after his dox and king of pol got a khife, Milo got a syringe and well, I think we've heard enough about LW1-3 to know they have had some treats leveled against them).
THis whole fight has been nothing but throwing food the vultures, people are getting kicks out of freaking people out and others are loving the money gawker has been paying. but you know what It's good to get all of this stuff out, cathartic really. So many people were mad at the gaming industry for years on either side, I'm sure there are better people to quote but I like how Minsc spoke on the subject.

"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and see what falls out!"
"Feel the burning stare of my HAMSTER and change your ways!"

[edit]By which I mean we need to untangle all of the individual desires, corruption, wrong goings and problems in the gaming industry like it's time to hang up the Christmas lights before we try to sort out everything here. Good lord it's a mess.[edit]

Man I miss minsc, Think I might start up Baldur's gate again

Klitch:
If I were the Escapist, I'd be insanely worried about this. With Matt Lees making $3,300 a month on Patreon, Extra Credits making $9,000+ a month, and Jim Sterling jumping over $5,000 a month in just the first day, there seems to be a pretty good record of ex-Escapist content creators making excellent money on Patreon. I mean there is no way the Escapist is paying these people a six-figure annual salary. With that kind of money potentially in play, I can't imagine why Yahtzee and Bob (who are arguably just as popular as Jim) would decide to stay here. Time to give them a loyalty raise?

Wait 3 months before making a comment about the viability of Jim Sterling. The $5,000 is from a near perfect time for giving; people are generally saving money for the Christmas season, it hasn't hit Black Friday yet so the rush to buy X-Mas gifts hasn't started in earnest. People have money that's sitting on credit cards and in Paypay accounts that is doing nothing, so fans can quite happily contribute $5, $10, $20 or even $50 right now without it being seen as a sacrifise. Add to that a great deal of anticipation he will have from people who will read into this that he's going to start savaging the Escapist for taking the neutral position on #GamerGate and will want to give him a bit more than they might normally give (say giving the $50 instead of $20) to help him finally let loose on those basement dwelling neckbeard misogynist shit-slingers in a way that the Escapist would never allow since... well, judging by the number of us who are following GG and support GG on the Escapist, we're a rather large segment of the Escapist population. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim ended up with more than $50,000 by the end of December with the amount of support the Anti-GG movement has, with a fair amount of the funding coming from people inside the journalism industry who want to lash out too, but don't have the same sort of following that Jim Sterling has so they can't go it alone.

If he's still pulling in between $3-5,000 in February, that will be a heck of a thing. That's when the numbers will mean something to me. We will be past the Holiday gift giving season, we will be past the "Everyone has bills to pay from X-Mas, I'll help Jim out." and into the "Winter sucks. Snow sucks. Freezing temperatures sucks. Regular season hockey and basketball suck. TV shows suck. There aren't any big new pieces of entertainment (movies, TV shows, GAMES) coming out. I'm BORED, I'm BROKE and I want to go to Cancun for Spring Break." season where giving money to an internet celebrity is... not quite as appealing as it was just a few months earlier. But I don't see Jim pulling in a 6 figure salary going forward; I expect the first month will be a blip and it will settle down to a more modest $3,000 - $5,000 range per month. Still a very respectable amount (between $36K-$60K a year) but nowhere near 6 figures. I would be surprised if anyone who isn't a part of Defy media directly is making a six figure salary; I wouldn't even put Tito at more than $75,000 a year at the very most. That might include any sort of "perks" like a travel allowance or the like for travelling to things like E3, ComicCon, etc.

I was afraid this was another Extra Credits thing, but Jim's reasons for leaving are nicely detailed on his Patreon page. I will be donating soon!

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Scorpid:
Shoving is a strong word for you voluntarily visiting the Escapist, voluntarily clicking the big picture episode and then voluntarily sitting through it to the end. Also keep in mind the Big Pictures stated goal in the very first episode was to be a place for him to talk about whatever the hell he wants to, not specifically anything. You want get mad about him forcefully inserting political opinions into Escape to the Movies is more fair but I still think it falls well under his own personal critics of a movie. I mean he doesn't go off on left leaning rants that have nothing to do with the movie in question as far as I ever remember. But then again I seem to be one of the few people that actually really like MovieBobs stuff a whole bunch.

I do agree, but at times Bob Chipman does come off strong. What I have found over time is that I much prefer his written contributions over the short videos he does, but in reality I find the same thing with anything I consume on the Internet. The longer a video is it seems to be something I get a lot more out of.

Sassafrass:

Barbas:
Right after an Escapist staff member leaves, they get lambasted with a barrage of accusations of corruption, hypocrisy and probably a hundred other things under the sun by the time I've finished this comment?...Oh, and existing Escapist staff too. Is this a tradition of sorts here?

I bet this thread ends in a lock.

Only when it's popular content/people, well documented on social media and in the middle of a giant shit storm. :P

That's why I'm glad I don't use Twitter and am held in a mixture of suspicion, disbelief and contempt. I feel like I dodged a bullet!

grimner:

cleric of the order:

Revnak:

Reposting this from an earlier post of mine:

Allistair Pinsof stated more than a few times in twitter and in AMA that Jim was always fine by him during his firing and has cleared his name of any involvement. He stated that on twitter, but I don't know how to search one's feed, but I *can* provide his AMA on Reddit.

Q:In your story, you told of Jim Sterling' breakdown[Grimner note: Allistair tweeted that Jim cried on the phone whilte talking to Pinsof about the situation]. Now that he's no longer at Destructoid, do you think you can get him to tell his perspective of your firing now?

A: "Breakdown" is a pretty dramatic way to frame it. He, like most not directly involved, felt conflicted in how things went down between me and Niero. I think he was sympathetic to my situation, having been there before.
I don't think it'd be to either of our interests for him to expand on those feelings. He's a good guy that I was always happy to see and talk to. He's a real person in an industry with few of them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k8kds/iama_exgame_journalist_who_has_been_used_as/

So, long story short, Jim's involvement in the firing of Pinsof (which was justified, by Allistair's own admission, and the point of contention lies in the fact that Dtoid did misinform him, push for the story, and refused to deal with the fallout) was only inasmuch as he had editor status on the site (which doesn't overrule CEO). The actual people involved were Niero, the GJP where Niero asked for opinions on Pinsof's termination (a list that, again in Pinsof's words, Jim had no interest and actually a little contempt for) and possibly Dale North, who already resigned in disagreement with Dtoid when this broke out. Jim had no involvement or actual final say.

Thanks, Wasn't sure what that was all about, I never cared to stay up on this part of the controversy, it was a rather small part and I've been ...busy....with things.
Either way thanks you've probably informed people on the matter better then I could.

When you first started here you sucked. But fast forward to now and you are one of the holy trinity of watchable people here. You, Yahtzee and Bob. Good luck in all you do. :-)

Scorpid:

Ken_J:

RaikuFA:
snip

I do like Bob, their are a lot of things that he has introduced me to that I will be eternally grateful for. I know shove is bit strong but when Bob goes into politics mode I just tend to roll my eyes and move on. But that's more of a 'I don't agree with you' rather than 'STOP I CAN'T TAKE IT'

Battenberg:
This whole quoting out of context thing is amusing but ultimately pointless.

The whole not understanding how quoting large chunks of text is undesirable is amusing, but, ultimately pointless.

So, basically your argument is just "BUT THERE'S MORE IMPORTANT THINGS". Well, where does that end exactly?

A mob? What are you talking about? A few people have raised some questions as to his conduct. A few people have said they don't like how he acted. A few people have replied. Nobody is asking for anything. It's a forum. It's called discussion.

And you're still not really answering the question. What do you want people in Gamergate to do about "Industry wide corruption" exactly? And what does that even mean? They have people like Total Biscuit investigating that kind of thing, and calling it out, things like early reviews and developers paying for reviews. But no website is giving that any platform. Instead, they're giving a platform to people saying stupid things on twitter. Shouldn't your complaint instead be with the gaming websites themselves?

Added to that, what are these bigger issues? Ubisoft? Again, two days ago they changed their review policy in response to the backlash. Shadow of Morder? Which was whistle-blown by somebody in the GG movement, by the way. Again, changes were made due to it. So, what are you expecting people to complain about?

Gamergate is a consumer movement, and being consumers, they are not privy to the back-room dealings of publishers and journalists. So, you're asking a group of people to know things which are impossible for them to have knowledge of, criticising the people attempting to inform them of it, and then expecting them to be angry about it anyway?

A consumer movement essentially works as followed.

See Developer/Publisher doing something people disagree with > Bring attention to the issue in hope of change.

Which is what Gamergate is doing. However, in doing so, they've been accused of sexism because, as we know, you simply can't allow people to have different opinions on things, instead you have to accuse them of being awful people, and defending themselves, they're accused of focusing too much on sexism. You're welcome to go to GG places and find people talking about Journalism, you will find plenty, however, that's the only place you'll find it, because nowhere else will even allow discussion of it.

So, please, do inform me as to what is an acceptable way to voice dissatisfaction with a developer?

Make Videos like Jim did? People claimed they were harassed.

Complain on internet forums? People claimed they were harassed.

Send an email? People claimed they were harassed.

Post anonymously on image boards? People claim they were harassed.

Either way, this is pretty pointless to talk about in this thread, so, if you want to debate it, take it to R&P.

MarsAtlas:

martyrdrebel27:
that's called having your cake and eating it too.

You know, Activision started as a refuge for mistreated developers and Electronic Arts started out being very optimistic of making creative and artistic games that pushed the boundaries. Look at them today. Simply put, having money changes things.

Speaking as someone who is taking a class on that stuff it's management as well. Trip Hawkins was the optimism in EA and then he left in the mid 90s. It happens.

Pyrian:
There are...
No strings...
On Jim...

Odd, though. How long can the Escapist continue to bleed some of their best content?

I don't know. If they send Bob or Yahtzee hiking the site may as well be dead to me.

Super Not Cosmo:
[snip]

LifeCharacter:
[snip]

Ladylotus:
[snip]

One of the things that make us human: "It's not bad when WE do it!"

Doesn't really matter how important or how trivial the issue. We all are willing to forgive, ignore, accept, condone or outright support things that our allies do at the exact same time as we are attacking our enemies for using those exact tactics against us. It doesn't matter what we're talking about, it doesn't matter the situation, you will always see the inherent hypocrisy of humanity at action.

"That cornerback was holding our receiver! CHEATER!" / "Woohoo! Our cornerback got away with a hold! Good job!"
"Stop playing those attack ads against us!" / "We need to run attack ads against them!"
"I have the right to say whatever I want, and trying to stop me is censorship!" / "I don't want you to have a platform to speak on so I'm going to stop you from saying that here!"

Etc.

I'm not sure pointing out such a universal human hypocrisy does anything more than simply fan the flames of a flame war. Not to say that anyone is trolling at all, but we could probably spend 200 pages going through 10 of the highest profile supporters of two sides of any issue and citing all the incidents of "It's not bad when we do it!".

Aw, the escapist is not going to be the same without him.

Whelp, that was unexpected.

So long, then, Jimothy von Stirlingshire! I guess I will simply have to thank god for you on another site, now. The industry certainly needs someone like you, so don't ever stop what you're doing, you sexy hunk of integrity-laden journalist, you.

ATTEN-HUT!
*salutes*

Well, fuck. There goes half of the reason I even visit this site anymore. As much as I disagreed with Jim at times, his videos were usually entertaining and often informative, his game reviews excellent, his crossovers with Yahtzee funny, and his lack of fear of the game's industry refreshing (oh hai, Konami blacklist!). With the sole exception of Moviebob's Big Picture episodes related to comic books, all that's left for me now is Yahtzee, and I don't know if that's enough to keep me coming here more than once or twice a week anymore.

I will say though that I hope Jim's departure isn't actually over the Escapist's attempts to be relatively unbiased with Gamergate (despite the anti-GG stance of most of this site's staff) and their insistence on actually allowing the discussion to happen here. As much as both sides of GG piss me off these days as well as how burnt out I am of GG, I do still believe that unbiased reporting on the subject as well as not censoring those who actually do try to be civil is the right thing to do (yes, there are civil people on all sides, not just whatever side you personally are on). If Jim really did leave because he simply wants a more one-sided discussion in regards to GG, then I will have lost a good deal of respect for him. However, since that's not proven yet, I won't be so naive to assume such.

Either way though, one of my biggest draws of the Escapist is gone and all that's left that I care about is Mr. Crowshaw and the occasional comic-related Big Picture. Combined with my overall fatigue of the forums lately, I see myself visiting this site much less often in the foreseeable future, unless a great new show and / or reviewer is picked up soon.

Jim Sterling:
There are no strings on me.

I'm amazed that Jim actually managed to reach his goal of 6k/month and am curious to see how long his audience will continue to support him.

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much Movie Bob hate here. It's also disappointing to see so few people mention LRR as one of their main reasons for coming here.

I rarely watched Jim's videos, excepting reviews, but it's still a shame to lose one of the major media producers here.

Alright the explosion from this got my attention as an aftershock (discussion in an MMO I was playing with my very limited time at the moment) hit me. I thought it had to be a joke.

For those who don't know I'm not really here on The Escapist for any of the major contributors, they come and go, and I've been here (and supporting the pub club) from pretty much the beginning. Mostly I like to focus on one site nowadays as much as possible, and this one covers a wide range of my interests which can simply be defined as "geek stuff" ranging from talk about comics to video games, and other things.

That said for all that I disagreed with him, I liked Jim's style. Jim was doing a much better, live-action impression of my own online persona which I've been using for years. I didn't care for the way he tended to get fairly insulting when his politics and social agenda came up, but for the most part he was a keen observer of the industry and very pro-consumer, two things I think we should see more of. His is one of the features I tend to go out of my way to check out even during the times when I can't get on the forums much.

To be honest I'm not surprised he got fired though, as I've pointed out during this whole gamersgate thing, his behavior has in the past sort of spelled out what part of the movement is about. Namely in how he didn't just come up and say he supported the whole gay-Shepard thing in Mass Effect 3, but actually did this whole tirade intended to mock and attack those who dared to disagree with him. Overall Jim didn't do this kind of thing regularly, but what he did was very intense, which is why I tend to use that example. In comparison Bob is more regularly insulting, but he doesn't push things as far, and Yahtzee's political stings are mitigated by the fact that he acts too crazy to take them seriously and oftentime mixes in a lot of self-depreciating humor. To be honest I expected Bob to get the boot before anyone.

While there is no way to tell I suspect we might be looking at a case where The Escapist finally told it's people to cut down on the politics, and Jim was the guy who most vehemently objected. Of course then again, I get the impression Jim has a problem with authority and working for anyone, simply going by the fact that he seemed to have a falling out with his previous employers at Destructoid before this.

To be honest I think comparing him to Susan Arendt probably isn't a good thing as they seem to be in somewhat different positions. Jim was a contributor, even in his job as a reviews editor, where Susan seemed to be acting in management while also doing the occasional article. It was all over the forums when it happened, but years ago when "Dragon Age 2" came out there was a huge controversy over metacritic fixing, and the game was getting pretty heavily slammed by both users and feature contributors here on The Escapist, "Critical Miss" even used it as punch line a few times. Right before she departed Susan banned me (although it was rapidly overturned) when I responded to an article put up that claimed "Dragon Age 2" was one of the best games of the year according to The Escapist *community*. I questioned this since I had hardly noticed any kind of positive support from the majority of the user base, and even the contributors seemed to be less than amused by some of the antics surrounding it. She freaked out, screaming that I was accusing her of taking bribes and everything else. Most of the damage on my health meter goes back to that incident since it wasn't erased (and it's partially why I've been so irritated over a recent moderation I feel was unfair since it takes so long to recover, and I generally do not get in trouble despite how it might look). Shortly thereafter she seemed to depart. My parting conversation with her in the forums had me making some dry absurdist jokes about a Cyberpunk-type corporate war between video game companies (for those that know my style know how I do it) and she was asking me if I was really that crazy, and by way of a farewell pretty much addressed me directly (publically) saying something to the tune of how we might get along IRL where she doesn't know me, but she really dislikes me online. I am not sure how much that whole DA2 explosion (which apparently wasn't her first time) contributed to her departure, but the point is that dealing with her, was a bit different than dealing with her articles. My very few exchanges with her left me with a very negative impression.

I have no idea what has been going on with Lisa Foiles, I know she had a show early on which I didn't think was particularly good, she was cancelled right as she was improving it. She came back for a while, and then was gone again. Any drama involving her seems to be fairly quiet, and even as a long time regular I know little about it, nor have I been involved in any dealings with her or around her.

EC had a falling out with The Escapist over money, for those that missed it a lot was said in the forums. It was entirely non-political and had little to do with the gaming industry, advertisers, or anything else. One of the members of the CM team hurt herself and had problems with insurance so EC used The Escapist to collect money to help pay for surgery. The Escapist also contributed goods if I recall, T-shirts and such. When EC raised money well beyond the goal they started using the extra funds not for surgery or support during recovery but to fund private game projects, which caused some irritation because that wasn't what The Escapist was assisting with collecting money for. Or at least that's what I understand based on what was said when it went down.

That said, I doubt we'll ever know a lot of the details about what was said to who, and why when it comes to Jim Sterling, as I said there hasn't been a lot of spillover that I've seen yet, and other than being critical of The Escapist Jim seems to be keeping the details tight to his chest. I do not know her well, but from my limited dealings and what I've seen I would not think Susan Arendt is someone he'd want to become associated with, even though she did a decent job of landing on her feet.

All rhetoric when I'm disagreeing with one of his videos aside, I don't think Jim is that big a hypocrite though and I have a hard time thinking he actually walked away because The Escapist was allowing a large degree of freedom in discussing Gamersgate. Jim very much seemed like a guy who could take what he was dishing out, which is part of the reason why I was still a fan after some of his antics (where the issue was not so much what he said, but how far he took it, and how insulting he was beyond his persona). I just can't see Jim Sterling getting all upset because Gamersgate listed him as being one of the problem personalities in the industry, and storming off because people from that movement have been allowed to speak more or less freely and speak against political bias and so on. I'd like to think that at the end of the day Jim would probably wind up agreeing with me on my principles of free speech, especially given the persona he uses, even if he won't agree with a lot of what I have to say, at least when it comes to social politics.

At any rate, I'll probably check in on his stuff on Youtube more frequently.

This was longer than I expected (due to limited time) but since some people are talking about stuff that happened on The Escapist, I'm explaining things as I see/remember them as someone who has been with the site almost since the beginning (love me or hate me).

Also for those commenting on public funding, let's just say that steady employment is always better than depending on the largesse of strangers, which is probably why Jim was talking about not wanting to take a "damn the torpedoes" approach due to having a house and family to worry about according to some of the links here. I certainly hope he will be able to find another regular gig. Personally, whatever happened, I doubt it was because of the sponsors... largely because Jim has been slamming the games industry and calling out companies since pretty much day #1 and he was picked up from a contributor and promoted to Review Editor with his style being well known. If the sponsors were going to be an issue I doubt that would have happened. Given how offensive Yahtzee can be towards people in the industry the standard seems to be "can you deal with people professionally, and leave the guy you speak as in your feature behind when the need arises" which by all accounts Jim is more than capable of doing, being very different from the bombastic role he plays in his videos. If sponsors were an issue I doubt he ever would have been given an official position since who he was, and what his schtick was, had been firmly established at that point.

Hungry Donner:
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much Movie Bob hate here. It's also disappointing to see so few people mention LRR as one of their main reasons for coming here.

I rarely watched Jim's videos, excepting reviews, but it's still a shame to lose one of the major media producers here.

LRR is on their last season, and I imagine most people who are a fan (like myself) supported them on kickstarter and get their weekly updates through that.

OT: I was the biggest hater of Jim when he first joined here, and now I am one of his biggest fans. He's had an absolutely amazing progress, and in a short while became one of the faces for this site.

I've had enough of this site, I truly have. But some of the content creators here are too good to pass up. If only MovieBob, Yahtzee and Critical Miss would join him, I would finally be able to put this diseased site down for good.

Hopefully you guys don't lose Bob too... I only come here for Jim and Bob's stuff...

SlumlordThanatos:
I'm curious.

Given Jim's remarks after announcing his departure from the Escapist, I'm wondering why the management has nothing to say about his badmouthing (in public) his former employers.

That's probably because Greg and Alex aren't really assholes? You just don't do this. It's unprofessional and there's no reason to be vindictive.

Honestly, I actually hope there's more to it than what Jim has been spouting off on Twitter, because if the only thing he got butt hurt about was Greg letting a forum thread go on and the magazine putting up a two sides story, then god damn that's some major over reaction.

My guess is that he probably justfigured he could make more money off of Patreon than working here and the rest of it is nonsense. This guy has never struck me as someone who thought about what he was saying before he spouted it off.

Ken_J:

RaikuFA:

Fox12:

I do.

You know I think the only reason he covered what he did in these recent episodes was

A) He did what Jim Sterling did and tried to let the bulk of the madness die down before saying anything about it.

B) He does not fancy himself an actual games journalist. At least from his Overthinker stuff I think he fancies himself more of an analyst and probably didn't think his input on the subject would be as important as someone like Jim or Angry Joe.

C) When they started bringing up the specter of Jack Thompson he decided to finally say something about that and at least tangentially address part of the bigger issue which I don't think he'll ever do a full Big Picture on.

His politics are his politics and he is a politically minded person and has admitted on Twitter he can be a bit of an ass. When a site gives you a show where you are allowed to talk about pretty much anything that is on your mind it gave him license to bring up things. Even with his past "political" episodes I don't think he got much flak because it was related to a scam in gaming that everyone agreed was a scam or was taking on/down someone that none of us liked very much either i. e. PETA.

I'd be willing to bet the one thing he probably hates more than what happened to comics in the 90s is ignorance. So there's probably another reason why his recent Big Picture's were so politically minded. Can you really blame him for "shoving politics down our throats"? I mean people scream "He needs to appeal to the masses, his target audience, etc..." but I'd be willing to bet a lot of those people are upset with say the games industry for NOT stepping out of that comfort zone of assured mass appeal. That's how it comes off to me anyway and it seems kind of ironic in a sense.

Besides you can't honestly tell me you'd prefer to get political information from the likes of Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, or Rush Limbaugh.

mattttherman3:
Hopefully you guys don't lose Bob too... I only come here for Jim and Bob's stuff...

Same here. Originally, I came here for Yahtzee and Extra Credits, but stayed for the JimQuisition and Moviebob. I am an optimist though, and I bet they will eventually find a new voice in gaming. Here's to Escapist 2015!

Jake Martinez:

SlumlordThanatos:
I'm curious.

Given Jim's remarks after announcing his departure from the Escapist, I'm wondering why the management has nothing to say about his badmouthing (in public) his former employers.

That's probably because Greg and Alex aren't really assholes? You just don't do this. It's unprofessional and there's no reason to be vindictive.

Honestly, I actually hope there's more to it than what Jim has been spouting off on Twitter, because if the only thing he got butt hurt about was Greg letting a forum thread go on and the magazine putting up a two sides story, then god damn that's some major over reaction.

My guess is that he probably justfigured he could make more money off of Patreon than working here and the rest of it is nonsense. This guy has never struck me as someone who thought about what he was saying before he spouted it off.

Absolutely agreed, except for the last point. From all I hear Jim's a decent guy, but probably misguided and definitely unclassy in his recent actions. Alex and Greg are f***ing heroes to me right now and it's not because of agreement, it's because of fairness. Honestly, I would respect them LESS if they were overtly pro-GG even though I'm rabidly pro-GG, myself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here