Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

I did not expect that. Reading his Patreon page it sounds very bitter and looks like he had quite a fallout. more info would be good because all i see here is rumors.

Atmos Duality:

If I had to guess: Probably us, the regulars, and it was the other way around. We pissed JIM off.
The Escapist became a sort of haven for GamerGate folks through the worst of it, which has been a source of distress on Jim's part for his past several videos.

Good then. during GameGate period his work quality has degraded to the point of his latest video being just a long strawman he already did 6 years ago. This may be a wake up call for him.

LifeCharacter:

Well, there's numerous differences between an organized movement to contact the advertisers of any website that criticizes you, and people expressing disapproval over, in order: funding a hate movement, preaching bigotry supporting anti-gay legislation and protesting mosques for being non-Christian, comparing homosexuality to bestiality terrorism and drunks, and calling a woman a slut because she advocates for birth control like every other logical human being.

up to mosques i thought you were describing gamergate. you do know that the most famouse "antiadvertisers" campaign happened when the person people protested literally equated the movement to ISIS. hows that for funding hate movement and praching bigotry.
Not to mention your completely wrong about the list, but if you cant differntiate between donating to a law project and funding a hate movement there is no point in trying to explain it to you.

Excludos:

LRR is on their last season, and I imagine most people who are a fan (like myself) supported them on kickstarter and get their weekly updates through that.

LRR is, but the crew does more than one show. Like they are doing DesertBus right now and for another 100 hours or so. Some of theri stuff is on Escapist. That being said, while ill forever be grateful to the escapist for introducing me to Yatzee, Jim and LRR crew, the quality of videos on escapist is abysmal compared to same videos on youtube. While i havent tried the premium membership (was planning to, then some things happened here that i decided against it[1]). I feel like i now spend more time elsewhere than Escapist when Escapist used to be my primary website for quite a while, and thats just sad.

KazeAizen:

B) He does not fancy himself an actual games journalist. At least from his Overthinker stuff I think he fancies himself more of an analyst and probably didn't think his input on the subject would be as important as someone like Jim or Angry Joe.

Oh lets be fair, this is Bob Chipman. he thinks that his opinion is the most important opinion.

[1] Not related to GG. This was before.

Excludos:

LRR is on their last season, and I imagine most people who are a fan (like myself) supported them on kickstarter and get their weekly updates through that.

LRR is only on the last season of their regular show named LoadingReadyRun, though. There are other shows they do here, and as far as I know said content is continuing. Though you can still just get that content from their site, I guess.

Hungry Donner:
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much Movie Bob hate here.

Have you not looked at the comments sections of his videos? They, at least the ones I see, are full of MovieBob hate. Maybe it's not all the topics, since I only read/watch every third or so piece, but it's certainly common enough in his material. And it ain't got any better since Gamergate.

KazeAizen:

Besides you can't honestly tell me you'd prefer to get political information from the likes of Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, or Rush Limbaugh.

Actually, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the people complaining do. You've described three people who have audiences looking for a specific type of person to tell them specific things they agree with (And, of course, the idiots who listen just to complain) up to an including paranoid conspiracy theories.

And that's more or less what news is "evolving" into. Find a site or personality that tells it like you want to hear it and ignore everything else.

A bunch of gamers who want an "independent" site that tells them what they want to hear? Sounds like what people really want.

RJ 17:
Wow...can't say I was expecting anything like this when I woke up 5 minutes ago...

In contrast I didn't expect this five minutes from going to bed myself. Damn, kind of sad actually to be honest but there is always YT(hopefully) and his website.

Whaaaaaa....! I mean, they even spoke during the Uncivil Wars about continuation, hey, we didn't even get to see the mouthful of mustard -praise speech!

All too sudden....

Farewell Jim, all the best!

Strazdas:
up to mosques i thought you were describing gamergate. you do know that the most famouse "antiadvertisers" campaign happened when the person people protested literally equated the movement to ISIS. hows that for funding hate movement and praching bigotry.

Because, as we all know, making a comparison that idiots take all too literally about hobbyists is funding a hate movement and preaching bigotry. Won't someone stand up for the perpetually oppressed gamers?

Not to mention your completely wrong about the list, but if you cant differntiate between donating to a law project and funding a hate movement there is no point in trying to explain it to you.

Donating to a law project designed to deny people their civil rights and spread hate doesn't seem much different from donating to a hate movement but if you want to be pedantic, sure, I was wrong. He just gave money to a campaign designed to take people's rights away because he's a bigoted fuck. But I'm sure this very important distinction makes everything better for certain people living in California.

The only thing I came here for on a weekly basis was his show. Maybe he got tired of typing captchas.

I wish him luck and I respect that he didn't want to be plugging sponsors.

Zachary Amaranth:

Excludos:

LRR is only on the last season of their regular show named LoadingReadyRun, though. There are other shows they do here, and as far as I know said content is continuing. Though you can still just get that content from their site, I guess.

That is what I meant. Their other shows are already not on this site, and I doubt whatever they are going to do after the last season is going to be on this site either. Since I already get their updates through kickstarter and their own website, for me they've already left this place.

If the Escapist keeps dropping without gaining, then it's going to have a serious problem eventually.

I don't know why, but today I was suddenly possessed to watch all of the episodes of Uncivil War in sequence (maybe it's because I was procrastinating over studying for work). I guess it's because I've been filled with such animus for JS because of his anti-GG douchery that I wanted to balance that out by getting an appreciation for his work, because I've heard that he's a really awesome guy who isn't afraid to fight the AAA power.

It's a really fascinating watch. It started just before the GG stuff hit the fan and we can really hear him having fun, though in the 3rd episode he makes a snide comment about how degrading the series is and this is what happens when people use a certain anti-advertising software (WHICH I DO NOT USE ON TE AND STRONGLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE NOT TO AS WELL BECAUSE TE IS AWESOME). As the series goes on Yahtzee makes passing jokes about GG, having fun, and you can really hear the building weariness/angst in Jim's voice. By the last two episodes it feels like Jim is bitter as f*** and phoning it in. The contrast is especially stark during their Sleeping Dogs video, with Yahtzee joking playfully and Jim painfully suppressing his deep desire to whinge.

Why? Because The Escapist was the only major gaming site to give GG a fair shake? Because Jim has a beef with RogueStar? Because Archon didn't want to permaban everyone with an unpopular opinion on the forums like every other bloody site did? Because all of his Social Justice Treehouse speshul snowfwake fwiends got their tumblies in a bunch because their GAMER audience didn't respond to their "OMG GAMERZ R DEAD 4 SUPR SERIOUS" articles with fawning praise?

Dammit, Jim... what happened to you? Weren't you supposed to be the straight-talking, truth-to-power pro-consumer guy? Why did you act like a hypocrite and unconvincingly say you were neutral while at the same time going "OMG #STOPGAMERGATE2014" and "Fuck The Escapist?"

Just a few weeks before this all started, you made a video literally entitled "Corrupt Censoring Suicidal Indie Devs" where you said "Censorshing criticism does not fucking work!" Please do yourself a favor and rewatch what you posted. A lot of what you said applies to you.

"Censoring criticism and running to mummy, yelling 'No Fair!' not only makes you a corrupting individual, perhaps even worse than any EA or Activision, it exposes you for a fool with an aptitude for career suicide and serves to only benefit the critic, who YOU BET will milk for all it's worth, and ensure you'll only be known for your bratty behavior and awful, awful lack of talent."

Here's the link here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9597-Corrupt-Censoring-Suicidal-Indie-Devs

Svarr:
If the Escapist keeps dropping without gaining, then it's going to have a serious problem eventually.

I'm honestly not sure why they haven't had more serious trouble before now. And now, they've broken up a dynamic duo. Awkward!

Svarr:

Agreed, a big loss for the Escapist, a great gain for everyone else :)

Cancelled my publishers club membership a few days ago. Now that $20 a year goes directly to Jim (plus a little extra). :D

Wow 1/3 of why I visit escapist just vanished.

All the best to Jim Sterling in his new endeavors. Seems like his relationship with the corporate management was a little strained so I think that an amicable split on good terms was the best possible outcome for both parties and he gets to continue his Jimquisition indie-style which will be interesting.

I'd like to voice some concerns about this departure though. I absolutely love the LRR crew but, aside from Unskippable (which I think is fantastic), I get all their content from their own site so they're not a big attraction to the Escapist for me anymore and now with Jim gone I worry for such a time when Yahtzee decides to leave. Yahtzee was already the main draw but now (for me at least) the website seems more like "Zero Punctuation presents: The Escapist" rather than the other way around. This might just be because I dislike Movie Bob so full disclosure on that front.

I do feel like the website really does need to add a few strong figures so that it can present itself as a gathering of interesting creators, critics and opinion-makers rather than just Yahtzee and friends.

Wow, one less reason to come to the Escapist now. I hope Jim's departure is a wake-up call to the entire video games review industry.

As long as they result in more Giant Bombs and less Kotakus, I'm all for these kinds of shake ups.

A lot of my favorite content creators have been going independent lately. I think it is a good thing.

I only started watching Jim's videos two days ago. The first ones I saw were about really bad steam games. I don't care too much about the video game industry but kept watching out of boredom. I honestly didn't really like him at first, his sense of humor tended to get on my nerves and his apparent self-aggrandizement was irritating. Eventually I got to some of the videos that deal with social issues as well as issues with the games industry in general, and I came to realize what this farewell note says: despite his persona, in reality he's something of a big teddy bear. He demonstrated to me in several videos a deep level of humanity, intellect, empathy, and even humility - despite his sign-off - which are things I sadly don't see too often these days.

It seems to me that recent events have left him feeling a bit overwhelmed, and frankly, as far as I've been able to get a sense of his personal beliefs, I'm not too surprised that his sincere convictions eventually conflicted with professional expectations... I just didn't think it would happen a day after I started watching his videos. Though I don't like his comedic style too much, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to a man who saw certain people causing issues and asked "how can we help them improve" and "what can I learn from this myself" rather than "how can we tell them how bad they are, because I am infallible". We need more people like that in the world.

Until about halfway through this I thought he had died

So that's why there was no jimquisition tab on the schedule to flip through. Oh well.

TBH, when I first read the title, I thought he was dead! 'Farewell Jim Sterling' sounds like someone might say at his funeral.

V da Mighty Taco:
I will say though that I hope Jim's departure isn't actually over the Escapist's attempts to be relatively unbiased with Gamergate (despite the anti-GG stance of most of this site's staff) and their insistence on actually allowing the discussion to happen here. As much as both sides of GG piss me off these days as well as how burnt out I am of GG, I do still believe that unbiased reporting on the subject as well as not censoring those who actually do try to be civil is the right thing to do (yes, there are civil people on all sides, not just whatever side you personally are on). If Jim really did leave because he simply wants a more one-sided discussion in regards to GG, then I will have lost a good deal of respect for him. However, since that's not proven yet, I won't be so naive to assume such.

Pretty much took the words direct from my mouth here. Despite the fact I have a severe dislike for both sides of that "debate" (read: flaming row), loathe the hypocrisy and hatred going on and am generally sick of the whole thing...I really hope its not the reason for him leaving. Because frankly, the fact that the Escapist does try to present a balanced position makes me have a lot of respect for it. I have a particular dislike for the whole attempt to paint this as "Angels vs Demons" in the wider press, ignoring the faults of "your own side" whilst attacking "the opposition" (whichever that side may be); the Escapist trying to provide a fair platform despite any inherent bias of the writers and editors (whatever that bias may be) makes it extremely reputable in my eyes. And despite the fact that I love Jim's work (even if I don't always agree with him) I have to say that its bitterly disappointing if that's the sole reason for him quitting.

Ultimately you don't have to support a position to give it air time. An unbiased source of journalism SHOULD give time to things and allow for different perspectives on it. Not just bash on something. I'm not trying to equate anyone with anything here, but look at this article from the BBC recently:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30005278

For those who don't want to read it: that's a BBC article about a school in Pakistan run by a extremist cleric who teaches the virtues of jihad and how Osama Bin Laden was a hero. It provides no opinion itself. It merely discusses what the place is about and contains quotes from three sources: one from the guy in charge himself, one from a father who has had to send his child there and one from the former President who ordered an attack on the place seven years ago.

Now I'm pretty damn sure that the BBC doesn't support jihad or the Taliban. But they still offer the chance for a variety of people who different viewpoints to have input. Why? Because that's how even-handed reporting works.

This is just depressing. I love Jimquestion. It's my favorite feature on this website.

The Lunatic:

A consumer movement essentially works as followed.

See Developer/Publisher doing something people disagree with > Bring attention to the issue in hope of change.

Which is what Gamergate is doing.

Except it's been completely side-tracked with anti-SJW nonsense from the jump, so much so that it created Operation: Bayonetta because someone had the audacity to have the "wrong" opinion in a video game review. GamerGate is setting itself up as the Political Officer of the gaming industry, trying to discourage discussion about any topic it deems off-limits.

cleric of the order:

R.K. Meades:
Keep doing your thing, Jim, and get that money.

Ignore the insufferable yokels who are slating your Patreon campaign on social media.

what?
What's happening to his patreon?
Heck why'd he leave to begin with, it looked like he had a good thing going here.

Those anti GG's he likes to support have thrown their lot in with SJW's. SJW's regularly attack eachother over simple things, like him being a white male. Have a few link, it's kind of hilarious to watch the anti GG side tear itself apart.

https://media.8chan.co/gg/src/1416039100607.jpg
https://media.8chan.co/gg/src/1416039233816.jpg
https://media.8chan.co/gg/src/1416039287703.jpg
https://media.8chan.co/gg/src/1416039352755.jpg
https://media.8chan.co/gg/src/1416039817298.jpg
https://media.8chan.co/gg/src/1416041278548.jpg

Netrigan:

The Lunatic:

A consumer movement essentially works as followed.

See Developer/Publisher doing something people disagree with > Bring attention to the issue in hope of change.

Which is what Gamergate is doing.

Except it's been completely side-tracked with anti-SJW nonsense from the jump, so much so that it created Operation: Bayonetta because someone had the audacity to have the "wrong" opinion in a video game review. GamerGate is setting itself up as the Political Officer of the gaming industry, trying to discourage discussion about any topic it deems off-limits.

See above. Hope you like your allies!

LifeCharacter:
When a group's most "successful" actions are spamming advertisers of websites that said mean things about them, people are perfectly capable of seeing it for what it is

And when another groups' most "successful" actions are getting its detractors labelled as victimizers of women despite a complete lack of any evidence linking them to any abuse, people are perfectly capa-

Yeah we can both play that game, can't we.

LifeCharacter:
a threat and an attempt to silence people.

Ironic to see a groups most successful and widely-used tactic being used against them.

LifeCharacter:
Well, there's numerous differences between an organized movement to contact the advertisers of any website that criticizes you, and people expressing disapproval over, in order: funding a hate movement, preaching bigotry supporting anti-gay legislation and protesting mosques for being non-Christian, comparing homosexuality to bestiality terrorism and drunks, and calling a woman a slut because she advocates for birth control like every other logical human being.

Ah, framing tactics. Freedom of speech is great, until you don't like what someone says. That's when you strawman and equivocate the hell out of their position to create an argument from emotion. I can play that game too!

One presumes that you're against an ideologically-driven hate mob comprised of bigots and scum only when it's the religious right, and not the feminist left.

LifeCharacter:
Except they're not using the exact same tactics,

Nah, they pretty much are. The only notable difference is that the left has enough media mouthpieces and influence to get what it wants just by raising a stink through editorials and blogs and twitter comments (and that's just the examples from the gaming industry). They don't need to go after the company through its advertisers because they have direct access to the sympathetic ear of the actual editors and/or managers who run the company, and who buy into the same ideology, and the mob of angry SJWs who hang on to their every word.

Hmmm... Over $6K per month... That's not bad money.

I can see how a fairly popular game critic might choose patreon.

Also total independence from publisher advertisement. It IS possible afteral then.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quoting time:

From a 2012 press release by Alloy Digital, forerunner of Defy Media, owner of "The Escapist":

"Tom Kurz, Co-Founder and Chairman of Themis Media and The Escapist commented, "Joining forces with Alloy Digital allows The Escapist tremendous opportunities to bring our premium content to an even wider audience and offers significant promotional synergies that will further build upon a brand that has uniquely captured a passionate and dedicated community."

"The Escapist also brings longstanding relationships with advertisers that have valued the quality of our content aimed at this core audience," added Kurz, "and we look forward to leveraging Alloy Digital's deep ties to the advertising community in order to expand our offerings.""

From the same release:

"Alexander Macris, The Escapist's Co-Founder and SVP/GM, stated, "We saw that games were clearly becoming the cornerstone of the 12-34 demographic's lifestyle and built The Escapist to create premium content that engaged the extreme passion we saw among game and entertainment enthusiasts. Alloy Digital brings that same focus to building brands and communities around these consumers' core interests and, with this move, we are energized to take The Escapist's award-winning content to the next level.""

http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2012/11/15/505630/10012818/en/Alloy-Digital-Acquires-Leading-Gaming-Lifestyle-Site-The-Escapist.html

======

And from a June 2014 Advertising Age article, when Viacom invested in Defy Media:

""We are creating content people want and selling advertisers around that; that's the same business Viacom is in," said Defy Media CEO Matt Diamond. "They just come from the linear and traditional place, but they also have a very large digital platform."

"Beyond selling ads, Defy also makes money from merchandise sales and content syndication. But it is also exploring a subscription-based streaming video service, Mr. Diamond said. He described the company's efforts as early-stage testing but said that at some point it will launch aggressively. Viacom does "have a subscription revenue part of their business [and the deal] allows us to peek into that," he said.

Additionally Defy Media will promote Viacom's brands and content across its owned digital properties and network of third-party sites. Whether the arrangement would go the other way toward syndicating Defy's content on Viacom's properties "fits in the category of strategy development and other partnerships the companies are working on," Mr. Diamond said."

http://adage.com/article/digital/viacom-takes-stake-defy-media-boost-youtube-presence/293620/

In light not only of The Escapist's position in favour of Gamergate (consumers' core interests indeed!) but also of Jim Sterling's departure, it kinda says it all, don't you think?

Welp, this site just became a lot more emptier to be honest. If I wasn't already an avid poster on this site I personally would of kind of dropped off. Jim was one of the primary reasons I joined the Escapist.

I wish him luck on his Patreon.

But, aside from Yahtzee there really isn't much to look forward to on this site in terms of content aside from the occasional article and Moviebob videos.

Aww :( I was really liking Uncivil War and looking forward to the next season. Not gonna lie, I was never a huge fan of Jim's stuff but I liked the rapport he and Yahtzee had.

Excludos:

That is what I meant. Their other shows are already not on this site, and I doubt whatever they are going to do after the last season is going to be on this site either. Since I already get their updates through kickstarter and their own website, for me they've already left this place.

Is there anything on the Escapist not already not on this site, though?

People could opt not to come for ZP because it's on YouTube. Which is where their stuff is otherwise hosted, too. That's the thing. The either/or policy ended years ago.

Auron225:
Aww :( I was really liking Uncivil War and looking forward to the next season. Not gonna lie, I was never a huge fan of Jim's stuff but I liked the rapport he and Yahtzee had.

As someone stated earlier jim became alot more dry and forced in later episodes of uncivil war. I wouldnt be suprised if they had internal disagreements over Yahtzee's neutrality on GG and his well documented dislike of SJW's and their ilk.

Escapist has lost something good but at the same time jim's last few videos have been nothing but whining and a far cry from the pro-consumer godsend he used to be. Maybe that will change with his solo site but somehow i doubt it will happen quickly.

A huge loss for the Escapist.

I am reconsidering my Publisher Club for sure.
They better get some new video content on here soon.

This is very surprising and your reason for leaving even more so since you never seemed to have much of an issue with advertisement based monetization, I do respect your decision and I really hope that it works out, and if it does we could see the beginning of something truly fantastic in games journalism.

Either way I'm going follow you wherever you go, and thank god for you.

Farewell Jim, best o' luck going forward. You'll be missed.

Well this place just got a hell of a lot less interesting.

Well, I thought this would have happened either last month or next month. Hindsight is 20/20.

Strazdas:

Oh lets be fair, this is Bob Chipman. he thinks that his opinion is the most important opinion.

You apparently don't like him. No he doesn't.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here