Double Fine Cuts a Dozen Staff Members

Double Fine Cuts a Dozen Staff Members

broken age concept

The cancellation of an unannounced title resulted in a staff reduction at Tim Schafer's development studio.

Just about a month after the release of Costume Quest 2, developer Double Fine has laid off 12 employees. This isn't another case of the post-release staff reductions that are all too common in the industry, however; studio head Tim Schafer told GamesIndustry.biz that the layoffs were due to the unexpected cancellation of an unannounced game.

"One of our unannounced projects was unexpectedly canceled by its publisher, forcing us to reduce our staff by 12 people," according to Schafer. The silver lining is that this isn't bad news for the Double Fine games that have been announced; development will continue as usual for Broken Age, Massive Chalice, and Grim Fandango Remastered.

Layoffs are an unfortunate reality of the gaming industry, but that doesn't make the news any less sad to hear. It's a shame Double Fine's canceled project won't come to fruition, and even worse that a dozen staffers are out of a job. We wish them the best of luck.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz via Polygon

I guess DJ Phil Fish was more expensive than they expected.

Seriously though, Double Fine doesn't seem to know how to manage their finances well- frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't gone bankrupt yet.

Slayer4472:

Seriously though, Double Fine doesn't seem to know how to manage their finances well- frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't gone bankrupt yet.

Think phase 1 in doing so is to move away their HQ from San Francisco.

Speaking of Broken age, when it Part 2 coming out again? You kind of owe us some explanation of what's the hold up, Double fine.

Seriously, Tim, I love your games but you need to actually RELEASE GAMES for me to love. I really don't want Double Fine to become Baby Valve as far as actually releasing on time.

I guess it's hard to keep finances secure when you somehow manage to overspend a 3.3 million dollar budget for a $400,000 game and only have enough to make half of it, begging fans for more money to finish the second part.

And when you release a game as Early Access as a means of financing it then just shut down all development when you've made enough money.

And when you host a huge, open-door party 2 years in a row.

And when you're stationed in San Fran-fucking-cisco.

Double Fine needs better management. Tim is obviously not cut out for this shit, he's just the idea guy. Idea guys can be great, but they need a leash to keep them in line.

Slayer4472:

I'm legitimately curious, when were they ever in talks with Phil fish?

OT: have to meet that bottom line, eh Tim? I'm sure that there were mitigating circumstances for why the publisher dropped you, but at least a few of those mitigating circumstances probably related to your abhorrent mismanagement as a developer. Even as an indi-dev, Schaffer can't seem to keep it together. He's been banking on his fans goodwill, but all he's delivered so far are IOU's and broken promises. You're overdrawn, Schaffer.

Fox12:

Slayer4472:

I'm legitimately curious, when were they ever in talks with Phil fish?

OT: have to meet that bottom line, eh Tim? I'm sure that there were mitigating circumstances for why the publisher dropped you, but at least a few of those mitigating circumstances probably related to your abhorrent mismanagement as a developer. Even as an indi-dev, Schaffer can't seem to keep it together. He's been banking on his fans goodwill, but all he's delivered so far are IOU's and broken promises. You're overdrawn, Schaffer.

Didn't you hear? Fish quit again and is now actually a DJ, he was at the party that appears to have fired 12 people.

It seems Double Fine has fallen onto some hard times of late. Shame, they're one of the few developers I actually enjoy. Hearing them lay off staff makes me think the chance for a sequel to Brutal Legends is getting farther and farther away.

Happy fucking Christmas. I feel for the staff they let go. I hope they can land on their feet.

I hope those staff members were paid for all the work they didn't do. Seeing as it is the business model for DoubleFine these days.

Tim Schaeffer, stop being a hack fraud, you are retroactively attacking my childhood

Elfgore:
It seems Double Fine has fallen onto some hard times of late. Shame, they're one of the few developers I actually enjoy. Hearing them lay off staff makes me think the chance for a sequel to Brutal Legends is getting farther and farther away.

The chance of BL2 being made remain the same: zero

Kind of disgusted that gamesindustry.biz saw fit to plug Massive Chalice steam early access in a news story about people loosing their job. Whatever happened to common decency.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-11-21-double-fine-loses-12-staff

Dalisclock:
Speaking of Broken age, when it Part 2 coming out again? You kind of owe us some explanation of what's the hold up, Double fine.

Seriously, Tim, I love your games but you need to actually RELEASE GAMES for me to love. I really don't want Double Fine to become Baby Valve as far as actually releasing on time.

He needs to kickstart another 3.3 million for part 2. Then he'll need another 3.3 million after he blows the first lot on hookers again.

Davroth:
Kind of disgusted that gamesindustry.biz saw fit to plug Massive Chalice steam early access in a news story about people loosing their job. Whatever happened to common decency.

I don't think DF OR the games industry beesknees in general has any decency left.

On a side note, after seeing the let's plays of Massive Chalice, I doubt it'll save the company. For a squad level game it looks like it has design level issues that can't be overcome this late in development. It won't have the depth of XCom, and XCom wasn't particularly deep to being with.

I can't help but think that fans are just watching Tim Schafer John Romero himself at this point.

it seems bobby kotick was right, Tim Shafer doesnt know how to handle a budget

Adultratedhydra:

Dalisclock:

He needs to kickstart another 3.3 million for part 2. Then he'll need another 3.3 million after he blows the first lot on hookers again.

What is wrong with hookers? I wish I had 3.3 mill to blow on them. I would make sure they are hot, single and free of disease.

Gennadios:

Davroth:

I don't think DF OR the games industry beesknees in general has any decency left.

I'd say posts like these are vastly worse than anything they might or might not have done.

NuclearKangaroo:

Yup. Making your customers look at Bobby Kotick's words about you as correct is damning enough. Timmy Boy not being able to handle money might be the reason Notch said screw it to funding Psychonauts 2.

so when is he running out of good will? Seriusly i dont understand the gushing over Tim Schaeffer or double fine

I like how people keep spreading unsourced rumors of him and his business. No wait, I don't like it. Stop that please.

Quadocky:
I like how people keep spreading unsourced rumors of him and his business. No wait, I don't like it. Stop that please.

Tim schafer gets 3 Million dollars for game, doesnt finish game, asks for more money, makes half a game. Well documented across multiple sources that Broken age didnt cost anywhere near what he got (Outside of tims idiotic twitter sperg about apparently paying the people who work for him way too much fucking money) so the only logical conclusion is that Tim is a singularity into which sensible use of money dissapears.

Tim has scooted along on his past successes for too long and his absolute failure to manage his company (again) needs to be talked about more. Preferably before some tards give him more money.

Also he claims Broken age 2: Revengeance is already financed, but theres been absolutely no proof provided and news just keeps coming that Double fine is broke as fuck.

AzrealMaximillion:

NuclearKangaroo:

Yup. Making your customers look at Bobby Kotick's words about you as correct is damning enough. Timmy Boy not being able to handle money might be the reason Notch said screw it to funding Psychonauts 2.

And this is what i hate Schafer for more than anything. He made me realise bobby kotick was right about everything. Kotick is the hero we need.

It's official

I've no more patience for him. He makes really good games, but man does he suck at money. HE KNEW he was going to have to let these people go, so why rub salt in their fucking wounds of firing them just before Christmas by holding an extravagant expensive party?

It's just.. The money used for the party should have been divided between the 12 of them so that they could have a decent christmas until they find a new job.

Bad Tim, bad!

Tim Schafer is a good game designer, but he is a terrible manager and a terrible game maker. He can't run a company.

Tim needs to be on a leash. He needs someone to tell him no. Tim Schafer creating his own company was the worst thing that could have happened for him actually creating quality games.

Nikolaz72:
It's official

I've no more patience for him. He makes really good games, but man does he suck at money. HE KNEW he was going to have to let these people go, so why rub salt in their fucking wounds of firing them just before Christmas by holding an extravagant expensive party?

It's just.. The money used for the party should have been divided between the 12 of them so that they could have a decent christmas until they find a new job.

Bad Tim, bad!

You know the party was completely funded by external sponsorships right?

Are you suggesting Tim Schafer should have taken money off of Sony and Microsoft under false pretences to be given to the poor developers who were fired? A noble gesture, but would have resulted in many more layoffs due to the resultant law suites.

I haven't really been following them lately, but didn't they get a shit ton of cash from a kickstarter awhile back? What the hell happened to that?

bat32391:
I haven't really been following them lately, but didn't they get a shit ton of cash from a kickstarter awhile back? What the hell happened to that?

Hey man, Cristal is expensive

Well, there's no stability in this industry. Even when working with the good guys.

NuclearKangaroo:

Firing people at the termination of a project is not something unique to Tim Schafer in this business.

Quadocky:

I hear he steals candy from babies and uses the sugar to fuel engines of destruction.

bat32391:

That was for a specific game. If they were spending that on other games, it'd be...Well, fraud, to start. But it's worth noting that that game got nearly ten times its Kickstarter goal, and Schafer didn't have the money to finish it, so we've only seen part one thus far. Not exactly a ringing endorsement in the first place.

I like pretty much most games he is or was involved in, but it seems like he needs a higher up to manage the budget.
I really wonder how he planned to release broken age with ~300k if he pays his staff ~6k per month, that would mean he planned to develop this game within 2 months or something if you adapt voice acting and other costs?

I guess you could say instead of Double Fine they'll now be... just "Fine" .... ho... ho... ho... I apologize.

How much does anyone want to bet that the reason why their project was canceled was because investors finally caught on to the fact he can't deliver anywhere close to on budget?

I guess he didn't buddy up enough with Kellie Santiago/Indiefund to get more seed money like he did for DF-9.

You guys heard about that right?

He got VC funding from Indiefund for DF-9, then went out to crowdsource funds from the public. He then goes on to release a half completed game on Steam early access, and handing over all the early access money to Kellie Santiago/Indiefund instead of putting it into finishing the game like he said he would.

Of course, his buddies in the Indiefund "mafia" made all their cash back, but all the poor customers who trusted Tim got the shaft.

Tim Schafer doesn't deserve a single ounce of pity from anyone. He actively screwed over his "fans" with DF-9 so that his buddies would get their money back.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here