Deadpool Will Get His Own Movie, Starring Ryan Reynolds

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Deadpool Will Get His Own Movie, Starring Ryan Reynolds

Ryan Reynolds will reprise his role as "the merc with the mouth" in his very own feature Deadpool film.

Deadline is reporting that Fox is in the final stages of closing a deal with Ryan Reynolds for a feature on Deadpool, a role he is reprising from his appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. According to the report, the film is being directed by Tim Miller, who has done strong visual effects work through his VFX house Blur Films. Miller has been developing the film for several years, from a script by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, with Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg producing.

To add more credibility to the report, Reynolds himself has just Tweeted a Deadpool-related picture, along with the caption "Uh... It's Chimichanga Time." Production of the movie is said to start in March, with a February 12, 2016, release date.

If you chose not to remember Reynold's role in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, we'll forgive you, as the studio made the, erm, "curious" decision to silence Deadpool after subjecting his alter-ego Wade Wilson to the military experiments that give him his mutant powers. That's right, they silenced the guy who's nickname is "the merc with the mouth".

Nevertheless, Reynold's quick wit and banter are what make him a good choice for the role (and admittedly, his role pre-military experiment in the Wolverine flick wasn't bad). We assume Fox will just go ahead and ret-con that decision anyway.

While it's not quite 100% confirmed, the report, along with Reynold's tweet, and that leaked Deadpool test footage we saw earlier in the year, make it incredibly likely that this is the real deal.

Source: Deadline

Apparently the leaked script is promising, but I won't be holding my breath. Deadpool works best in comics that are read within 10 minutes

Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts). So now he has a second chance at Deadpool. See the new guy, same as the old guy.

If it works like that test footage - then I will love this move

I'm totally on board with this.
The decision to silence Deadpool was completely moronic, but I loved him in the Cable-Deadpool run! :)

Oh thank god. I was worried they'd try casting someone else.
There is no actor on this planet that is better suited for the role of Deadpool than Ryan Reynolds.

You know what, I'd watch that!

For the five minutes or so he's actually in the movie and speaking Wade Wilson was great in Wolverine. I want to see him have an actual fight with Logan this time so he can draw his gun and utter the immortal line "so do you still have that indestructible skull?" before shooting himself in the face... again.

Isn't this old news by now?

I swear I heard this at least a month or so ago.

Considering Reynolds is listed as one of the main reasons the Deadpool movie is still happening, I'm not surprised.

norwegian goose:
And I'm not gonna watch it.

Is there a single thing worth watching in your mind? Every thread I've seen you post in has always been "don't watch it", even when no one asked.

OT: looks interesting, but I'll remain skeptical about DoFP being a fluke and not the new norm for Fox.

He did an alright job in the opening of [i]Origins[i/i], with some good writing he could probably pull it off. Again though, it will depend on the writing, from what I've seen of Deadpool's stories they're completely 'for teh lolz' violence heavy stories, kinda like 80's action flicks.

It depends if Fox is willing to get silly or if they bitch out and give him some generic dark story, having Deadpool simply reacting to every thing with snark. Come on Fox, get dumb for this.

I don't have a problem with Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool, but I have a feeling this may become an issue of Fox not letting the actor do the character proper justice. What I'm saying is, although they'll probably retcon the X-Men Origins thing, they'll find some other way to screw it up. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe, at least it will be good for a few family friendly laughs and if I keep my expectations low, perhaps I can come out of this pleasantly surprised.

008Zulu:
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts).

Um... That doesn't mean he's the one who wrote the script. What destroyed Deadpool was the guy who actually wrote the scripts.

I'd love to watch it. I really enjoy Reynolds' stupid sense of humour anyway.

Say what you want about Blade: Trinity, he made that film enjoyable for me.

Oh what a surprise?

Captcha: "Skynet knows"
Creepy as shit captcha o.o;;

Johnisback:
Oh thank god. I was worried they'd try casting someone else.
There is no actor on this planet that is better suited for the role of Deadpool than Ryan Reynolds.

Not even Thom Tom Cruise?

008Zulu:
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts). So now he has a second chance at Deadpool. See the new guy, same as the old guy.

Reynolds was great as Deadpool (pre-ending) in Origins... He did fine with the material given to him. If you want someone to blame, blame the scriptwriters or directors, because he gave them the performance they wanted.

He's been very vocal about how much he was let down by it as well. Hell, you know that Deadpool teaser that leaked awhile back? That's Reynolds doing it. He knows and understands the character and a huge reason this movie even exists is because he pushed so hard to get it made.

Also, I read the leaked script once. It's GLORIOUS and thoroughly dismantles the Origins appearance in one quick, amazing stroke.

I'm not mad at this. I really like Ryan Reynolds. He isn't the best actor, but wise cracking wise ass is his natural niche. Though, he has shown himself to be a good actor in some other less known roles. And if they can put the same writers who did the last two XMen movies on this, I think it'll turn out right. Hell, the first Wolverine movie didn't really start turning bad till they decided to kill off all the other characters.

Trishbot:

008Zulu:

Reynolds was great as Deadpool (pre-ending) in Origins... He did fine with the material given to him. If you want someone to blame, blame the scriptwriters or directors, because he gave them the performance they wanted.

He's been very vocal about how much he was let down by it as well. Hell, you know that Deadpool teaser that leaked awhile back? That's Reynolds doing it. He knows and understands the character and a huge reason this movie even exists is because he pushed so hard to get it made.

Also, I read the leaked script once. It's GLORIOUS and thoroughly dismantles the Origins appearance in one quick, amazing stroke.

Where can I find this script. I want to read it and I can't wait for another year and half.

Svarr:
Oh what a surprise?

Captcha: "Skynet knows"
Creepy as shit captcha o.o;;

What's really creepy is that is also the SSID of my router.

Reynolds can do ok humour, but this is the smack tackiest character in all of superhero history he is suppose to portray... ok humour is far from good enough for the role. I know marketing execs have an easy time when going middle of the road because that can be sold to all age groups, but that isn't a solid representation of the character.

On the other hand I just realized that with the gender wars going on a legit Deadpool would get burned at the stake, so they probably don't even have a choice at this point but to make him politically correct.

get the Cheetos, Chimichangas, and Fresca ready. And if they actually let Reynolds be witty and have fun then he can be GREAT. Poor bastard needs a break too considering how he's had a string of bad luck with these kind of films.

I actually think Reynolds did a a great job of the tiny slice of an actual Deadpool in ...shudders....Origins. They did a fantastic job on screwing everyone up in that mess of a movie, from Sabretooth to my man Gambit (see avatar). With a good script and director, this could be really cool. Cautiously optimistic here.

Also, if anyone doubts what type of range Reynolds might have, go watch "Buried". One man Reynolds show in a box for 90 minutes, and it succesfully managed to elicit every emotion I have. That takes some decent amount of skill and convincing performance.

Queen Michael:

008Zulu:
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts).

Um... That doesn't mean he's the one who wrote the script. What destroyed Deadpool was the guy who actually wrote the scripts.

The script writers might also not be entirely to blame for when a movie goes wrong, script writers from what I understand, don't get paid all that well and there's a lot of people screaming at them over their shoulder to change this or that for "reasons". Even if the script was incredible in the beginning, it could end up complete and total shit by the final draft assuming the script is even mostly followed when the film gets made.

Some movies also have multiple script writers who are forced to collaborate with each other (or worse just outright edit each other's work without any collaboration). Even actors have their own personal script writers to ensure what is getting said sounds like something the actor would actually say.

For all we know the script writer for XMen: Origins could have been a die hard Deadpool fan and wrote him spectacularly and the producer forced them to change it at the end because "Wouldn't it be ironic if this character who never shuts up got shut up!" and the script writer goes "Uhh but..." and sighs heavily and does it anyway because they'd rather not get fired.

I dunno; after watching the test footage it felt like Ryan Reynolds was just playing Van Wilder cosplaying as Deadpool. Sure he was wise-cracking the whole time but it was a little too quiet if that makes sense to anyone else. He needs to be a little more loud and I need to see just how obnoxious Reynolds is going to be.

I don't know if it's something that can be legitimately pulled off without sounding lazy or too obvious for the sake of fan-service, but I imagine the process of retconning Origins is going to be strictly based on 4th-wall breaking: they play the climax scene from Origins, Deadpool interrupts and pauses the clip to step in front of the screen then literally rewinds the movie, probably making some dopey comments in between, ("Yeesh, was I always that fat? Mediocre cgi DOES add ten pounds!"), stops at a point he's happy with, steps offscreen, film begins proper.

While this could make for a fine film, I'll probably wait to see what Red Letter Media says about it when it comes out.

So is this a live action film? Or is it going to be the animated one we saw the leak for a while back?

As long as they make it more like the comics and not screw it up like they did with Wolverine Origins... then we're good. (crosses fingers)

shiajun:
I actually think Reynolds did a a great job of the tiny slice of an actual Deadpool in ...shudders....Origins. They did a fantastic job on screwing everyone up in that mess of a movie, from Sabretooth to my man Gambit (see avatar). With a good script and director, this could be really cool. Cautiously optimistic here.

agreed, that movie had lots of great characters, and they were butchered one way or another :/

Also, if anyone doubts what type of range Reynolds might have, go watch "Buried". One man Reynolds show in a box for 90 minutes, and it succesfully managed to elicit every emotion I have. That takes some decent amount of skill and convincing performance.

god dammit, you just had to remind me of that awesome movie, had my butthole puckered right up until the end, I was amazed at how immersed I was in the movie when it's literally a one man show.

Why can't he be the white vampire hunter from Blade again? I really like the way he jobbed to HHH.

CrazyGirl17:
As long as they make it more like the comics and not screw it up like they did with Wolverine Origins... then we're good. (crosses fingers)

Ryan Reynolds Superhero movies have never ever been good. Deadpool from Wolverine and Green lantern were both massive disappointments. But Reynolds himself needs this to succeed for him to be considered a natural leading man since almost all his recent movies across the board have been flops, so I imagine he himself will at least be trying.

Happyninja42:
So is this a live action film? Or is it going to be the animated one we saw the leak for a while back?

That clip was done as a "proof of concept" and the project was intended to be live action the whole time.

bdcjacko:
Why can't he be the white vampire hunter from Blade again? I really like the way he jobbed to HHH.

Triple H cut off his hair and lost his power in Hollywood.

Scorpid:

Ryan Reynolds Superhero movies have never ever been good. Deadpool from Wolverine and Green lantern were both massive disappointments.

The five minutes of Deadpool we got in Origins was fine. It was the movie that was ass.

And Green Lantern...well, Jesus coming back from the dead and fulfilling prophecy couldn't make that movie work.

To me Reynolds was the only bright spot in Origins. As Wade he did fine, but Barakapool is not his fault. He had no lines for crap sake, and he wasn't a writer, or a producer for that crap. Hugh fucking Jackman was...... He should of known better. But hey, here's Deadpool making waffles to make my anger better.

PS I really want this movie to be good. If I recall correctly thought it will be PG13 and not R like it should be. Bummer. MUST LOOK AT WAFFLES!!

Wasn't this announced about a month or 2 ago?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here