Elite: Dangerous Launch Trailer Brings Glamour to Space Piracy

Elite: Dangerous Launch Trailer Brings Glamour to Space Piracy

Dead. Miners. In. Spaaaaace!

Elite: Dangerous is set to launch on December 16th (for those not beta-ing away at the moment), so we were due for a launch trailer this week. It's important to note that the trailer does not use in-game footage, although the pre-rendered scenes look pretty slick.

The launch trailer and forthcoming space MMO/shooter/amalgamation of cool is the end result of two years of public development. The Kickstarter campaign went live in November 2012, with a successful completion the following January. Roughly USD $2.5 million was raised in the two-month endeavor.

When the retail release of Elite: Dangerous goes live next week, every player (new and returning) will be given 1,000 credits from the start. And if you've been an alpha and/or beta participant these last few months? All of your in-game progress will carry over -- no data wipes in sight.

Our own Elite: Dangerous review will be up in the coming days, so keep your eyes peeled if you haven't yet taken the space smuggler's plunge.

Source: YouTube

Would definitely been interested in this if it had been off-line enabled. With online only, I'm not terribly interested in being ganked by random people with too much time on their hands.

My experience with MMO's recently is that are generally ruined by the other people you have to share the space (pun intended) with, which is tragically ironic.

Just a heads up for those interested. Don't be.

Right now the game has a fuck load of space with nothing in it - there's just no substance, no meat. The game works (always online, despite having a meaningless multiplayer experience) and that's it.

Krantos:
Would definitely been interested in this if it had been off-line enabled. With online only, I'm not terribly interested in being ganked by random people with too much time on their hands.

There is the MMO mode and a single player mode, the single player mode only needs the internet connection to update the universe and trade numbers. That was the sticking point for fully offline, without connecting to the player driven aspect the in game economy quickly broke and the movement of NPC ships from place to place stagnated. It didn't work very well at all.

The single player mode only needs a connection of a few kb/s and obviously doesn't involve other human players. I agree that a true offline mode would be nice (no doubt someone will mod it in in short order) but it's not quite the MMO or nothing situation a lot of people painted it out to be.

fix-the-spade:

Krantos:

There is the MMO mode and a single player mode, the single player mode only needs the internet connection to update the universe and trade numbers. That was the sticking point for fully offline, without connecting to the player driven aspect the in game economy quickly broke and the movement of NPC ships from place to place stagnated. It didn't work very well at all.

The single player mode only needs a connection of a few kb/s and obviously doesn't involve other human players. I agree that a true offline mode would be nice (no doubt someone will mod it in in short order) but it's not quite the MMO or nothing situation a lot of people painted it out to be.

Reeeaaaaallllyyy? That sounds much more interesting. Might have to pick this up after all. Thanks for letting me know that.

Valok:
Just a heads up for those interested. Don't be.

Right now the game has a fuck load of space with nothing in it - there's just no substance, no meat. The game works (always online, despite having a meaningless multiplayer experience) and that's it.

Long time Elite fan here, played all the instalments, starting with the original one back in the 80's, through two games from the '90s and now a Kickstarter-backer and beta-participant of the newest one.

Will all that in mind I have to say that while I understand that the above is your opinion I think it really does not reflect the game at all. The main difference is that Elite: Dangerous offers little to none of the hand-holding and guide-rails the games of current era got us used to; I believe that it is the main reason why people feel lost and confused.

On the other hand, if you like to carve your own path and figure the world and the interactions with it yourself (and love spaaaaace!) - you can't do much better than this. Entire galaxy is out there, with stars, nebulae and black holes (that we know of) positioned correctly -- and everything is 1:1 scale, stars, planets, moons are all sized appropriately. Given the freedom to travel just about anywhere mixed together with storyline elements to be introduced with the game launch, I think we're looking at a game space-sim fans wanted for years.

In closing, while I admit that the lack of off-line can be off-putting to some, the still present "Solo" mode and "Private Group" PvE-only groups (some consisting of hundreds players already) can cater to a wide range of tastes. The cooperative gameplay has potential already and will be expanded upon post-release. If you're looking to see some of that for yourself, check YouTube videos by Isinona -- highly recommended, not only because of non-obtrusive commentary but also because of awesome "hard-mode" piloting skills.

ok looks super cool but as soon as i saw no data wipes i decided no way am i touching this. games do wipes when going from beta to release for a reason its to clean out all the crap that was caused by bugs and to clear out the exploits what we are going to have is some of the alpha and beta players sitting on top of mountains exploited cash and resources and causing all kinds bull crap ive seen it happen before hell ive seen it drive an MMOG into the ground because the devs didnt wipe

Krantos:

My experience with MMO's recently is that are generally ruined by the other people you have to share the space (pun intended) with, which is tragically ironic.

I've played it for a few hours, and I honestly don't know if I've run into other people. It's a pretty big universe with 400 billion starsystems, so the chances of being at a random place randomly bumping into someone is pretty slim. I've seen some people around at the stations, but so far the only hostile ones I've met have been NPCs far out and away from any nearby stations.

I'm psyched. Really psyched. The game could suck balls, but it won't change the fact that I will be tearing through space DK2 style. I can't wait.

Kaymish:
ok looks super cool but as soon as i saw no data wipes i decided no way am i touching this. games do wipes when going from beta to release for a reason its to clean out all the crap that was caused by bugs and to clear out the exploits what we are going to have is some of the alpha and beta players sitting on top of mountains exploited cash and resources and causing all kinds bull crap ive seen it happen before hell ive seen it drive an MMOG into the ground because the devs didnt wipe

Its a non issue, what happens when players pick up the game in six months time? 12 months time? Longer?

A bunch of players will have loads of cash and resources just like the small number of kickstarter backers do now.

I really want to get this but at the same time I don't want to give money to a developer that promised something and then didn't deliver on it. If they add an offline mode like they said they would before then I will get it.

fix-the-spade:

Wow, really? The only reason for having forced online is that they're unbelievably shit at programming? The X series has had a working dynamic economy for over 15 years, and it's far from the only game to have managed that. So now Elite, a game based largely around trading and the economy, is going to rely entirely on players behaving in the correct manner because the developers don't know how to make the economy actually work if they don't. What happens when people behave in a way that actually makes the problem worse instead? What happens when they decide to deliberately manipulate it? What happens when they stop playing? It was bad enough when I just assumed it was DRM, but if it really is the result of them trying to paper over the fact that they can't actually program a huge aspect of the game properly, that's a big incentive not to go anywhere near the thing. Although given the history of the game's development, I suppose the inability to make a working game shouldn't really come as much of a surprise.

They said putting in an offline mode would make it "unacceptably limited". I read this as; No way to jam micro-transactions down the players throat. Plus "Always Online" seems to be the new DRM. Damn shame too, this game looked really good.

Since I Love Space Sim games I was really Hyped for the possible rise of a whole new batch of interesting games.
Then I read about their apparent will to limit them with Always Online and a restricted view.
Which pretty much killed it for me.
Now I'm sad.

There is always next time..If my arthritis doesn't play up or Oculus 5.2 isn't out.

Wow you people are really against this online thing aren't you?
I don't care, I actually want it to be online, a MMO. If it was singleplayer, and a pirate came close while you mined it would attack you outright. Or maybe you got some sort of option, but it would be more or less the same every time, and after a while I'd get bored of the pattern. With a player you could try to reason with him, or work out some sort of deal, I like that idea.

Anyways, from what I've seen of it so far it looks very promising, and in a few days I get to see for myself.

Kahani:
Although given the history of the game's development, I suppose the inability to make a working game shouldn't really come as much of a surprise.

Pretty much yes, but my space game starved mind is enjoying it very much regardless.

I'm liking the game. It's not a particularly intense/high action most of the time, but it's pretty immersive and I find that cruising around exploring uncharted space is a good way for me to unwind and relax.

To those who are afraid of the MMO part: During the entire time I played this (not INSANELY long, but several hours for pretty much every update since beta 1.0) I have NEVER been destroyed by another player (I can say that for sure, because I've never been destroyed in combat at all), I couldn't even tell you if I've been ATTACKED by another player, as you would have to spend time scanning your opponent, and that doesn't make a lot of sense when you're running away from them in your unarmed cargo ship, and the only times I've ever engaged in combat was when I explicitly WANTED to, like during combat missions or in combat zones. Oh, and yes, I played Open Online as much as technically possible (sometimes it didn't work and I switched to Solo).

So, as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no need to be worried about overpowered players griefing you.

This is not your Call Of Duty, it's not actually ABOUT combat or competition. There is no leaderboard, no ranking, no points. The only thing there is, are faction standings that determine where you can go and what jobs you are offered, but that's something important to YOU, not anyone else. To me it feels like PvE where the E is interspersed with other players, but in a way you don't even really notice, except that their behavior isn't scripted.

This is not your EVE either, where players can control huge empires, everybody is pretty much just an average Joe, only with some driving an Aston Martin and some driving a VW Golf.

The only time I actually got in contact with another player was just a friendly chat in front of a station waiting for a landing pad to free up.

For the game itself: I am an Elite veteran, I played Elite, Frontier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters, and I LOVE Elite: Dangerous. I play it as much as my schedule allows me to and I enjoy it most of the time. The only thing that really bugged me during the beta were the frequent freezes due to network problems, but that NEVER happened during Solo play, that's been absolutely rock solid all the time, and it also didn't happen during gamma 1.0, but I have to admin I only had time to play the gamma once for a few hours, so that might just have been luck.

Aside form that: The perfect game for the 31 year old kid who wants to play Elite or Privateer with up to date graphics and even more attention to detail in an insanely realistic and immersive universe.

Just be advised: If the story was what drove you towards Privateer or Freelancer, forget about Elite, this is not your game. Same goes if you need your information read to you instead of reading quite a lot of text.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here