The Death Star Costs $15.6 Septillion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Did he seriously calculate the cost to create the Death star!?!?!? :D

hahahahahahahahaha

Vlane:
Why do people waste their time with stuff like that?

You won't be saying that when the earth is nothing but a vaporised cloud of dust.

durasteel is an alloy in star wars which most of their things are made of....YES IM A NERD

I know what I'm buying when I grow up!

Indigo_Dingo:

matrix3509:

Emperor Inferno:
I know a way we can cut costs down to 1%: SLAVE LABOR!

But where will we find the wookies to build it for us? We could capture Peter Mayhew, but as far as I know, there is only one of him.

And he's not likely to breed...

To that I say:

CLONING!

Cortheya:
durasteel is an alloy in star wars which most of their things are made of....YES IM A NERD

There is also:

Ferrosteel: what capital vessels are made of.
Transparisteel: What windows and viewports on starships are made of.
Plasteel: Equivilant of hard plastic.

I am a bigger nerd. :P

Oh you could build it for cheap, forced labour, slavery, that would work because you just pay the people with the whips.

$15 septillion? What's that in Sterling, for us Brits?

It would at least make an interesting project, or the sequel to Little Big Planet: "Little Big Planet Destroyer". Half the game is raising the cash.

Keane Ng:
which brings us to a grand total of $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,226 and 94 cents.

And don't forget, the empire made two of those things.

I've started a charity, everyone do the same and we will pool it all together and we might be 1/8th of the way there then we make make the nxt seven generations do the same and force them to put our coffins on the maiden flight. (orbit?)

what about the price of installing the super lasers, and all the turrets, not to mention a hyperdrive, would cost a bit more then 15 septillion or whatever it is

How much for nothing but the laser?

I saw this right after finding out I'm getting a promotion.
I may have to spend less time here (yea you can stop clapping now) but I know what I'm going to save up for now.

Give me a few decades, then you can all kiss your asses goodbye.

nathan-dts:

Keane Ng:
which brings us to a grand total of $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,226 and 94 cents.

Given the nature of the whole galaxy, $15 septillion isn't really all that much. Given that there are over 100 quadrillion sentient life forms in the Star wars galaxy (according to Wookiepedia), all of whom we can assume will be taxed, its not that hard to imagine something like this being funded (especially if a neighbouring galaxy was deemed communist).

Though even with all these sentient life forms to taxes it would still be hard to collect it all. No doubt Palpatine had to cut funding to education, transportation, and health care (among other things)to fund his battle stations.

Edit: Also if you want to get picky, you could also include the Death Star prototype and all the other prototype weapons that were in the Maw.

Danzorz:

Vlane:

You won't be saying that when the earth is nothing but a vaporised cloud of dust.

He probably won't be saying anything then.

matrix3509:

Cortheya:

There is also:

I am a bigger nerd. :P

There's also waddasteel, a much cheaper and slightly weaker version of regular steel.

I apologise for nothing.

Indigo_Dingo:

Danzorz:

Vlane:

I find your lack of credit disturbing.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Indigo_Dingo:

Danzorz:

Vlane:

Your overconfidence in your monetary security is your weakness

matrix3509:

nathan-dts:

Keane Ng:

Given the nature of the whole galaxy, $15 septillion isn't really all that much. Given that there are over 100 quadrillion sentient life forms in the Star wars galaxy (according to Wookiepedia), all of whom we can assume will be taxed, its not that hard to imagine something like this being funded (especially if a neighbouring galaxy was deemed communist).

Though even with all these sentient life forms to taxes it would still be hard to collect it all. No doubt Palpatine had to cut funding to education, transportation, and health care (among other things)to fund his battle stations.

Edit: Also if you want to get picky, you could also include the Death Star prototype and all the other prototype weapons that were in the Maw.

A lot of the planets in the Star Wars galaxy don't have civilised life and are inhabited by primitive creatures.

Indigo_Dingo:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Indigo_Dingo:

Danzorz:

Vlane:

Your faith in your flexible friend is yours.

nathan-dts:

matrix3509:

nathan-dts:

Keane Ng:

A lot of the planets in the Star Wars galaxy don't have civilised life and are inhabited by primitive creatures.

Yeah thats what I was trying to get across. Wookiepedia assumes that one out of every thousand star systems have developed sentient life (a very high ratio, I know, but it seems to work). If we assume that most planets with sentient life have a population somewhere between Coruscant (one trillion) and Tatooine (around two hundred thousand) then it seems to add up just fine.

Thats not THAT big of a population. Hell, Issac Asimov's Foundation galaxy had a population of just over a trillion people, and that number is humans only (The Foundation galaxy had a surprising absence of alien life). IIRC, they had barely colonized a quarter of the galaxy in his books.

matrix3509:

nathan-dts:

matrix3509:

nathan-dts:

Keane Ng:

Tatooine (around two hundred thousand)

Really? Wow I assumed that Tatooine was much larger than that.

I have a Design technology project which requires me to make a egg transporting device. This might be a solution *rummages in pockets*.

Damn im 50 cents short ill go split a bank note...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Indigo_Dingo:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Indigo_Dingo:

Danzorz:

Vlane:

Your faith in your flexible friend is yours.

....faith in yo mamma.

nathan-dts:

Really? Wow I assumed that Tatooine was much larger than that.

There are only a few settlements that actually qualify as cities on Tatoonine. The entire planet is like the Sahara Desert except worse. Though that estimate is most likely on the low end. The movies make it seem bigger than I think it should be. I always imagined Tatooine as one of the most miserable places to live ever. If you're not dying of heat stroke, then you're being mugged by some petty crook. Part of the problems is the planet most visited in the movies. The fact that the Empire apparently controlled this system also makes no sense to me (unless the reason was to try to control smuggling, a obviously futile effort). But now I'm just getting off topic.

....faith in yo mamma.

OH SNAP!

Well, I'll go start offering sexual favors to Bill Gates. It'll be a start.

matrix3509:

....faith in yo mamma.

OH SNAP!

Yo Momma so fat, Ben Kenobi said "That's no moon, that's YO MOMMA!"

ThaBenMan:

That'll only get you a billion dollars.

ThaBenMan:

matrix3509:

....faith in yo mamma.

OH SNAP!

Yo Momma so fat, Jabba the Hutt said "Daaaaamn".

Huh, I didn't even know those are real numbers. I loved the "Robot Chicken Star Wars" shout-out. Good one :P

We could take out a loan for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoEBAgy3t3U

God fucking dammit that's orrsurrm!

I'll devote some seventy-odd thousand pounds from my bank account. No shit, for this, I really would spend every penny I had.

Excellent.....JAMBI!!! Transfer the money from the Swiss and Ferengi bank accounts....we have much work to do.....

Oh, this is wonderful! I love things like this.

Also, in the Star Wars universe, we must remember the technology they had was quite incredible. Yes, they may have gained the majority of raw materials by mining, but they also might have obtained quite a few through synthesis. (Or massive recycling efforts, what else could the Stromtroopers be needed for on Coruscant?)

matrix3509:

There is also:

Yet once the shields go down, all it takes is a Y-Wing (Or any rebel fighter craft) plowing into the bridge of a Star Destroyer to take it down...hell, probably ANY capital ship.

---

Anyways, if your gonna ravage a planet, why not do the truly evil thing use one of those...uh, um...Planet Devastator(?) Crap, I've probably got the name wrong, but the principle on what their function is quite simple.

Instead of turning everything in the vicinity into slag and ash, they suck up everything and use the raw materials to build everything a galactic Empire could need.

Indigo_Dingo:

ThaBenMan:

ThaBenMan:

matrix3509:

....faith in yo mamma.

OH SNAP!

Indigo_Dingo:

ThaBenMan:

ThaBenMan:

matrix3509:

....faith in yo mamma.

OH SNAP!

Yo Momma so fat even the Sarlacc Pit monster was like "Ah Helllllll no!"

How much money would be taken off of this price tag if Darksaber was built?

newguy77:
How much money would be taken off of this price tag if Darksaber was built?

Umm, just don't get the Hutts to be in charge of it, cause when you press the fire button, the damn thing don't fire.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here