Character Skin Loosely Based on Anita Sarkeesian Added to TowerFall Ascension

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Character Skin Loosely Based on Anita Sarkeesian Added to TowerFall Ascension

anita sarkeesian video game character

One of TowerFall Ascension's new playable characters is loosely based on the infamous video game critic.

Editor's Note: This post has been edited to reflect that the new character is loosely based on Sarkeesian and not her, per se. According to the blog: "This wouldn't have occurred to me if not for Anita, and feedback from players has reinforced how important it really is. We're very excited to immortalize Anita in a small way, as the alternate Last of the Order."

Love her or hate her, Anita Sarkeesian has undoubtedly made her mark on the gaming industry over the last few years. The folks behind TowerFall Ascension believe that mark has been a largely positive one, and as a tribute to the critic have chosen to include a playable character loosely based on her to the game's upcoming Dark World expansion pack.

"Anita's work has been an inspiration to the TowerFall team," said developer Matt Thorson in a blog post. "Her 'Tropes vs Women in Games' video series gave us a valuable new lens through which to assess our character designs."

He went on to state that "TowerFall is about bringing people together, so it's vitally important that the cast of playable characters makes everyone feel invited to join in. Simply put, this wouldn't have occurred to me if not for Anita, and feedback from players has reinforced how important it really is."

The character will be an alternate skin for the game's Blue Archer, and will be included in the Dark World expansion when it launches for the PS4 in "Early 2015".

Alongside the Sarkeesian-esque character, Thorson revealed several additional alternate skins that will be included in the expansion.

What do you think? Does Sarkeesian deserve this kind of immortalization? On the one hand, many believe she has been a beacon of hope for female gamers, and women in the industry by asking tough questions about gender inequality in games. Others think that she is simply "pandering" by addressing the obvious and creating deliberately controversy where there isn't any.

Either way, this move from Thorson ensures that the critic probably won't say anything negative about his game!

Source: Destructoid

This gonna be good.

Anyways, she translates surprisingly well into a character. Just one thing though - no earring chakrams? YOU MISSED OUT ON A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!

Oh for fuck's sake...

I honestly don't care for Anita. I don't really agree with some of her videos and in some way I feel that Tropes vs. Women doesn't do anything but restate what we already bloody knew, but I don't hate her. I don't like her. I don't really support her. She just tends to gather a lot of attention from both sides of the extremely stupid argument.

What I do know is that this will do nothing but cause all of that crap to happen. ... Again.

Aside from the earrings, does it look anything like her?

But, eh, why not? Sure, we'll get complaints from the people who complain about Sarkeesian whatever does or does not happen, but otherwise, eh.

A 'youtube star' getting a skin in a game?

Shit, what's next?
MovieBob, Yahtzee, Grumpy Cat, and AVGN!

The flannelette shawl is a nice touch.

The name Towerfall Ascension leaves me with a discomforting feeling of unresolved tension. Are the towers falling or rising, damn it!?

Tanis:

Shit, what's next?

MovieBob isn't a youtube star.

OT: that looks nothing like her. I definitely would not think it was her unless otherwise told.

Zhukov:
The name Towerfall Ascension leaves me with a discomforting feeling of unresolved tension. Are the towers falling or rising, damn it!?

Huh...didn't notice that, but yeah. Maybe there's a big platform which is ascending, and there are towers on top of it which are falling? Actually, accelerate the platform too fast, and you'd expect that.

Tanis:

Shit, what's next?

I think Jim Sterling was a playable character in some game when he worked for The Escapist and mentioned it on his show, I can't remember which one it was though.

That said I really don't like Anita, and her inclusion in this "Towerfall" game makes me far less likely to buy it given their support on this level.

I wonder how large this thread will be, when i wake up tomorrow...hmmm...Goodnight people!!

Not that I really care at all, but...that doesn't really look like her. Her skin's a bit too dark, for one thing.

Tanis:

Shit, what's next?

AVGN already has his own game.

Tanis:

Shit, what's next?

SpeedRunners (PC) already has youtuber character packs as DLC. Two packs with four youtube personalities each. Kinda makes this situation less perplexing but I still cringed when I read the headline.

Tanis:

Shit, what's next?

The game Town of Salem has at least three skins based on Youtubers.

Probably more since I last checked.

Other than the gigantic hoop earrings and the use of plaid, I don't see much in terms of comparison. She has purple eyes and the hair looks nothing like AS. Eh, guess you cant be too realistic with essentially a chibi version of a real life person. Still hoping to get the game in one version or another soon

MarsAtlas:

Anyways, she translates surprisingly well into a character. Just one thing though - no earring chakrams? YOU MISSED OUT ON A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!

Now that you mention it, can somebody edit this gif and put Anita in it?

Well if I had any interest in the game, this news killed it, especially the devs saying she's an inspiration. An inspiration to do what, lie and cheat? I look forward to see if they give special abilities to the Anita character. Maybe if she's attacked by a male character, she can put up a NO COMMENT shield to deflect all attacks and suddenly gets a ton of powerups. Or perhaps she could be given an ultimate move where she calls everyone a misogynst and the game crashes.

How much do you want to bet while probably giving permission for this, she'll pop up in a few days and say they've attacking with this character so she can get more attention. But I'd be upset if I were her too -- they forgot her hedgeclippers.

Obvious publicity stunt is obvious. No idea what Towerfall is but I will not touch it with a ten foot stick until the inevitable troll waves subside.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going too erase anything even remotely Towerfall related from my mind and somehow try to avoid two equally maddening echo-chambers simultaneously try to blow out the eardrums of the internet.

So...
A mediocre game features a mediocre character design that's "inspired" by a mediocre human being.

This is news? Is this being covered here for any other reason than to stir the pot?

Regardless, I can't see what the big deal is. I'm not excited. I'm not offended. I just genuinely don't get why this is big news. Lesser and greater web celebrities have received similar treatment in bigger games, so...

But whatever. Good for Anita, I guess.

And, unlike some in this thread apparently, I am NOT looking forward to the so called "fallout" of this. I don't particularly relish schadenfreude.

The weirdest thing is that they already had two strong female playable characters in the game already. Their statement doesn't really make any sense. "She's an inspiration" doesn't apply if you already were equal rights and exercised that into your game in the best way you could given your games nature.

Not to mention this doesn't look anything like her. Like, at all. Skin is too dark, her hair is the wrong style and color, and Anita's eyes aren't purple. This seems like another skin for the Last of the Order, the only difference being her hood being down. This reeks of publicity stunt all over.

Am I missing something or does that character look absolutely nothing like Anita. Not even her skin tone is accurate, seems kinda pointless and sorta like they're just pulling a marketing stunt.

Pass she's shill who applied FOXNEWS journalism to affirmative action in gaming. She hasn't done anything but make a name for herself drowning out anyone else who actually wanted to make a difference.

apart from the earrings it looks nothing like her.

i'm not playing to my biases but given the amount of cartoons and caricatures i've seen...

no wait i'll start again...

i think, in terms of character design they let a lot of her (seemingly somewhat carefully crafted) dramatis personŠ go to waste...

that sounds ok right ?...

in short, as i said before, "apart from the earrings it looks nothing like her."

also now that these assets exist they will ofc be...alternatively used...by "the internet"...*gulp*...and i tbh can't hear the word "beacon" used seriously without thinking of the guys sniggering in the van in Sneakers...which i'm sure miss Sarkeesian would disapprove of no end...

nice to see good childbearing hips on her tho...

Well, I've never watched TropesVsWomen. But a lot of what I've heard about it (from those that don't seem ignorant and/or assholes) is that it's fairly basic stuff, and not really that helpful or informative.

So for me, the most interesting part of this article is the devs talking about how it was inspirational to them and really helped with their character design and creation. That's actually really really cool. That a feminist show that's so often ridiculed for being basic or not that great still managed to inspire them to make better female characters?

That's actually really uplifting news for me.

Not gonna lie, I'm digging that character design either way.

But man oh fucking man I'm bringing out the popcorn for this. This is the most obvious trollbait I've ever seen, and the saddest part about it is that people are gonna fall for it.

Wait wait wait, she's STILL a thing?!
Isn't her site pretty much tanking and her shadowy masters bailing out? Like...good for her, having a character and all...I guess? But its like giving a character to Phil Fish. Just seems like a massive step backwards.

Misleading article is misleading. I thought The Escapist was supposed to get out of the clickbait article business. In the linked blog it makes it pretty clear that the character is not Anita but is instead loosely based on her. Yes, it's a nod to someone the dev team respects (whether you like that or not) but it's not intended to be Anita herself.

Anyway, it's actually a pretty nice character design. I'm still not interested in the game being being that it's a couch multiplayer only experience, but this is cool regardless.

Given how I've read the blogpost, it seems that that technically isn't Anita, but...

Next up is the alternate blue archer... her appearance is loosely based on feminist games critic Anita Sarkeesian

See that? Loosely. So people with their knickers in a twist on "she doesn't look like Anita" can calm down now. I'll quote the relevant part of the blogpost in full

Next up is the alternate blue archer. If you keep up on gaming news she may seem familiar - her appearance is loosely based on feminist games critic Anita Sarkeesian. Anita's work has been an inspiration to the TowerFall team. Her "Tropes vs Women in Games" video series gave us a valuable new lens through which to assess our character designs. TowerFall is about bringing people together, so it's vitally important that the cast of playable characters makes everyone feel invited to join in. Simply put, this wouldn't have occurred to me if not for Anita, and feedback from players has reinforced how important it really is. We're very excited to immortalize Anita in a small way, as the alternate Last of the Order.

Granted, "immortalization" clashes with "loosely based", but given the look, I'm assuming the latter is more of what they intended.

Probably going to sound like a broken record at this point, but short of the earrings, it looks nothing like her. This is definitely a good publicity stunt, since I have never even heard of this game before now. That said, I can't wait for people to start thinking this is a big deal.

"Anita has come to take our games! Oh no, now she's in our games! The invasion has begun!"

EDIT: Okay, it seems this was nothing more than shameless click-bait. It's not actually her.

Like Strider said, the character is an homage to her (i.e. earrings), but is not intended to be her.

Sorry Matt, but it doesn't matter how many publicity baiting extra skins you add, Towerfall is still only worth about a third of the $15 price tag you've given it.

Is she going to be a princess and can I rescue her?

Actually, this is pretty neat. It would be cool to see games with large rosters (I'm looking at you League of Legends) make characters that have designs inspired by the people or works (with approval) that inspired the designers.

Edit: Ya know, this already happened with the skins. Heck, I even have the Xena skin.

Bullshit, Anita isn't half as sexy as that.

Hang on a minute, it's just an alternate skin, and there's no indication that it'll be named, and it looks nothing like her. No one would've guessed it was her if they hadn't read the blog post (or been told about it). And that goes triple for the actual character sprite.

It doesn't affect if I'd buy it or not (I'm not, but not for this reason). However I really don't care for her, not for any reason other than I don't feel she lives up to her own hype. She really does nothing but reiterate points that have been made but offers little-to-no solutions to said problems. I feel as if she tried and failed her goals, and thus is only popularized by how many people seem to hate her, who don't realize she's got no power and if they ignored her, she'd probably disappear.
Nothing against the woman, just don't feel she's contributed anything new or relevant to the issues.
But something like this... welp, hope ya'll have your angry mob insurance paid up, I hear the pitchforks, axehandles and torches getting readied up...

Steven Bogos:
I wonder if TowerFall Ascension will feature on a future Tropes. Vs Women in Games episode?

Two seconds of research would let you know that Towerfall Ascension was already included in one of the Tropes vs. Women videos... as an example of an excellent game that bucks gender-segregated color schemes.

Half of the playable characters in TowerFall are women and the game is also notable for it's color-code inversion, The Last of the Order wears blue while the Assassin Prince is decked out in pink.

Google, dude. Feminist Frequency + Towerfall Ascension.

http://www.feministfrequency.com/2013/11/ms-male-character-tropes-vs-women/

A great inspiration. That's rich.

Words fail me. Nothing else to really say.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here