Don't Just Watch ZP, Play it, in Zero Punctuation: Hatfall

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Don't Just Watch ZP, Play it, in Zero Punctuation: Hatfall

Hatfall embed

Hatfall pokes fun at a certain war-themed-hat-simulator by having players collect hats in increasingly obscure and confusing ways.

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw has been a long-standing staple of The Escapist, and his quick-witted lightning-fast Zero Punctuation reviews are how a great number of you started coming here in the first place. But the best kinds of satire mimic the medium they mock, which is why we are proud to announce Zero Punctuation: Hatfall: a Zero Punctuation-themed browser and mobile game designed by Yahtzee himself.

In Hatfall, hats fall from the sky, and you move Yahtzee back and forth to catch them. If you miss, and the hat hits the ground, you lose. However, the game is constantly throwing curve-balls at you to keep you on your toes, such as "fakeout" drops that will kill you, "alter ego" doppelgangers that confuse you by moving around randomly, and even an angry wizard who will curse you if you snag his wizard hat.

But players will quickly discover that a career in hat procurement is more fraught with pitfalls than it seems at first glance. Activating Survival Mode, for example, will add the need to look after Yahtzee's hunger and thirst meters, and could even necessitate a trip to the forest to hunt for food. Can he fill the larder without raising the ire of the local forest animal corporation? Will he hunt down a rare forest buffalo, only to realize that he can carry a meager 100 pounds (45kg) of meat?

Of course, that's just one of the hidden mini-games that may ensnare our hero in his ongoing quest for hats. Can he survive attaching wheels to his trusty desk and riding it down a hill? Or make it all the way through an insurance claim form without first rendering himself entirely insensible on cheap whiskey? We won't even talk about the trials that await in the mini-game known only as 'Dating Sim'.

"I've wondered for a long time if you could make a game based on Zero Punctuation," pondered Yahtzee when asked for comment. "It only recently occurred that the best approach to capture the spirit of the series would be to keep it minimalist and fast-paced, and throw in as much non-sequitur humor as would fit." He concluded with the profound sentiment that "I also realized that I didn't trust anyone else to make it."

When asked for comment, Hatfall Producer Simon Deal said, "Iım excited to collaborate with Yahtzee to help bring his vision of a Zero Punctuation-inspired game to fans worldwide," continuing, "Iım sure that fans will delight in the humor that only he can deliver."

Filled to the brim with ZP references, Hatfall really is a game tailor-made for Yahtzee's most die-hard fans. Stay tuned for more info on Hatfall, like the answers to the most frequently asked questions; "What kinds of hats will you be able to collect?" and "If I don't play Hatfall, will I still be worthy enough to watch Zero Punctuation?"

It's been awhile since Yahtzee made a game, it's nice to see him throw his hat into the ring again. (Heh)

Steven Bogos:
We won't even talk about the trials that await in the mini-game known only as 'Dating Sim'.

Desk driving, insurance claims and alcoholism are par for the course but social interaction? That's the Yahtzee's natural predator! Can't wait to see his take on a dating sim.

Steven Bogos:
"...keep it minimalist and fast-paced, and throw in as much non-sequitur humor as would fit."

Just like the show. I approve.

Hmmm, this wasn't the direction I thought Yahtzee would take with a ZP game. I was anticipating the game to involve him fleeing multiplayer 'friends' who want to ruin his singleplaying lifestyle.

I think this will be a game that I'll enjoy. Or should I say... hat I'll enjoy?

Huh. That actually sounds pretty cool to me- a Yahtzee game based on Zero Punctuation. I wouldn't mind throwing money in to play it.
I wonder if the game will have multiple references from his actual show. The true treat of the game is seeing what came from which video, and if they're well executed. But Yahtzee can do whatever he wants... i'm interested to see how it plays out.

Redlin5:
Hmmm, this wasn't the direction I thought Yahtzee would take with a ZP game. I was anticipating the game to involve him fleeing multiplayer 'friends' who want to ruin his singleplaying lifestyle.

Yeah let him show us how stealth should be done instead.

I can't help but wonder if I'll actually have to pony up money for this or if it will be free like yahtzee's other games.

Either way, looking forward to seeing his take on his own series.

I hope we get a Jim Stirling squirty play youtube video of this. :-)

So are the references to his show actually satire of references in games of shows, or just referencing references in place of satire of shows?
Did i word that ok?

This article reeks of self satire already...the singularity is starting to give birth to itself! Feel the awe!!

Hatfall pokes fun at a certain war-themed-hat-simulator

...is it bad if I'm not sure exactly which war-themed hat-simulator we're talking about here?

I've already commented that this is a nifty idea but I think the real question here is: "Is Zero Punctuation's colour scheme white/yellow or blue/black?"

I hope I get to.. wear a *hat*!

No, wait, give me a second.

I bet that game has... got *hats* in it!

Damn it. It's on the tip of my tongue...

cpukill:

Hatfall pokes fun at a certain war-themed-hat-simulator

...is it bad if I'm not sure exactly which war-themed hat-simulator we're talking about here?

I think it is TF2... but I'm not sure either. >.>

I can't help but think that Yahtzee would be annoyed with the phrase "filled with ZP references" given his distaste for reference humour.

I suppose it doesn't count so much when it's your own stuff you're referencing (and if it means regular in-jokes like metaphors involving a triple-cunted hooker then that isn't really a reference at all, it's a running gag)

So is this to cover the dwindling content which we aren't supposed to have noticed ?

No Jim Sterling, No Movie Bob.

This site needs some new blood and that new blood needs to make some new content.

The real question is will I be able to put a hat on the hats.

shteev:
I hope I get to.. wear a *hat*!

No, wait, give me a second.

I bet that game has... got *hats* in it!

Keep trying, I'm sure you're cloche to coming up with something.

But it won't be easy to top hat.

Steven Bogos:
"If I don't play Hatfall, will I still be worthy enough to watch Zero Punctuation?"

Clearly not. I think there needs to be a barrier that prevents you from watching new episodes of Zero Punctuation unless you've played enough Hatfall.

About the price point/business model:
- The browser versions will have pre-roll displayed before the game loads. It's free to play.
- The mobile version will be free to download but with ads that will displayed at pre-determined intervals or based on time played. We'll have a 99c IAP that will disable ads and provide some additional content e.g additional unlock(s) when purchased.

Aerotrain:

Steven Bogos:
We won't even talk about the trials that await in the mini-game known only as 'Dating Sim'.

Desk driving, insurance claims and alcoholism are par for the course but social interaction? That's the Yahtzee's natural predator! Can't wait to see his take on a dating sim.

I'm calling it now: Dialogue trees. Enough dialogue trees to form a dialogue national forest.

shteev:

If your hat is on the tip of your tongue, then you're doing something wrong, and I'm not sure I want to know what.

Aerotrain:
I've already commented that this is a nifty idea but I think the real question here is: "Is Zero Punctuation's colour scheme white/yellow or blue/black?"

I love hate to fire bullets at a joke, but:

The REAL question is whether the Imps are white and Yahtzee is black or vice versa.

10/10 - would pre-order with a season pass

but ya, this actually sounds kinda fun, in a silly way

Ok, see the problem with something like this is that anyone who would be interested will have watched enough ZP to not be able to tell if this is real or Yahtzee F***ing with us.

webkilla:

That would be terribly ironic, since his reviews would deter someone from doing that.

Looking forward to this. And here I thought Yahtzee gave up wearing his signature hat, so it would seem unlikely to make a game around it. With it, he looked a little like Ed Brubaker.

Sounds like Death Dice Overdose without the maniacal laughter. And it's all descended from Feeding Frenzy, anyway. Tetris was just a ripoff of Feeding Frenzy. And I don't mean that lame pretender game that came out in 2004. I mean the original Feeding Frenzy that was on C64 and Color Computer in, like, 1981. When games were real and the hash sign on the telephone didn't do squat.

Oh, and Yahtzee is now the only reason I still come here. Rebecca Mayes, Jim Sterling, Moviebob (I don't care who didn't like him, he was entertaining.) If you lose Yahtzee, sayonara.

Hey guys at the Escapist, this is a month too soon.
It's not April Fools yet....
You were too early.

Seems like a fun game, and a lot of my friends seem to hold it in some esteem, but the dev's decision to completely ignore a single-player campaign in favour of fully integrated multi-player has made me lose interest. Clearly I shall not be playing or reviewing this title.

FalloutJack:

webkilla:

That would be terribly ironic, since his reviews would deter someone from doing that.

Good sir, you seem to imply that my very statement wasn't dripping with irony already

But from where do I pre-order from to get the best DLC?

Man, I'm so hyped for this! And I already can't wait for the sequel. Hatfall: Refitted maybe? Or is that a name you guys are keeping in store for the inevitable HD remastered edition?

So, why is the minigame called 'Dating Sim' and not...Hatfall Boyfriend?

*silence*

*tips fedora* I'l let myself out.

I've just lost all the hype for GTA V PC and now can't wait for this.

webkilla:

FalloutJack:

webkilla:

Good sir, you seem to imply that my very statement wasn't dripping with irony already

My god! Triple irony! We're in a shooting war of snark and punnery! GO TO DEFCON 3!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here