Expect 100 GB Install Size, 6 GB Patches For Star Citizen

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

So in case if you were still wondering if there was any chance this game might one day come to consoles... I think that's a pretty definitive answer.

Yumpin' Yiminy.

A bloated file footprint for a bloated project.
Definition of "First World Problems" right there.

I have no interest in this anymore. That would take literal days on my connection to complete, and I'm not even confident it would complete without some corruption.

Makes me miss the days where a 6 to 10 GB game was considered huge.

RedDeadFred:

Me55enger:
Well Chris Robert's middle name is ambition. And whilst the cynics fold their arms in their stalwart hope it'll fail, he and the rest of his team are actually getting on with it.

100gb might be a little hard to explain to the billpayers,. mind.

Being cynical doesn't mean you want the game to fail. It just means people are being realistic in their idea of what a game developer is. They're a business and they want to make money. Making huge promises is nothing new with game devs and it doesn't usually end well. Just because people aren't jumping on the hype train, it doesn't mean they want the game to fail. I'd love for the game to succeed. If it delivers on most of what it promises, it'll probably be one of my favourite games of all time. I just don't expect that to happen.

Call me pessimistic if you want, but I've never had buyer's remorse when it comes to any video game I've purchased. Not saying you have, but it does seem to happen quite a bit in this industry.

Roberts has a different interpretation for what a 'PC enthusiast' is. But apparently, this 100GB patch is just the starter package or something.

Guess this game is either going to be the most life changing amazing game made so far, or it will fail completely.

Either way, it's going to be interesting see what final result turns out :)

*grabs popcorn*
*puts back popcorn upon realizing game still won't come out for a long while*

I've never had a cap on my internet connection, couldn't even imagine having to consider that. All connections have been uncapped where I live, pretty much since the days of ISDN.

Silvianoshei:
Wow there is so much hating in this thread...Star Citizen is very much on track for completion and has released content modules at most a few weeks late. It's got a 300 person team and tens of millions in funding, as well as an already dedicated player base.

I would be with you if there was any indication that something was wrong...but they've been really on-point with their releases and are so open with their development process that many times they crowd-source solutions to many of the problems that they've faced in terms of the sheer scale of the project.

I don't get what there is to be so blindly pessimistic about. You can be skeptical and hold your money until you see the finished product (a perfectly valid option), which won't launch till 2016, but nothing about SC's development yells "trainwreck".

I would agree with you, but the only news I ever hear of this game is that they're asking for more money, ship polygons, and "how awesome it's gonna be guys, just you wait!".

I have no interest in alot of what this game was promising, FPP planet scanning? I can play Space Engineers or Starbound if I want something like that honestly, heck, even Skyrim/Oblivion with mods has some space magic planet wandering(I think, I could be thinking of another game like M&B, who actually encourage you to mod and the devs have picked up a few modders from their forums for full-time).

And a 100Gb download with patches close to 10Gb? That's just...not feasible for a large part of the PC audience. You can have the most kickass PC imaginable, but the game is gated by having fast internet or you'll be sitting around for three days waiting for the base game, and everytime they decide to patch it is another half day of doing nothing else. It's a waste of time as far as I'm concerned and I was somewhat interested despite all the other crap I'd heard about the game, but this is honestly the nail in the coffin for me, and for all the talk of hating, looks like it was for alot of other people too.

I'm honestly fully expecting this to fail now. And I don't mean gaming imploding on itself cockamamee, but it just not making a fraction of the money back poured into the project and alot of people getting ticked off that the project they backed what...five years ago(?) ending in it becoming a niche's niche game for the precious few lucky to be blessed with internet capable of supporting the download without corruptions, interruptions, and general annoyances related to it. Or even worse, people buying it and never getting around to playing it because they don't want to have to update for three days to play.

Coruptin:

lacktheknack:

The two mentalities cancel each other out. If you're over-budgeting, be over-ambitious. When you have one and not the other, that's where problems happen. I'm all for AAA getting kicked into higher ambition.

I still can't play Star Citizen in the foreseeable future, but if it succeeds, I'm OK with that.

And here, we already see the damage this game is doing.

Over-ambition is reigned in by a frugal budget and release schedule. It forces people to come up with creative solutions instead of say...

RSI Comm Link
Two other areas we wanted to improve on were the time it takes our artist to create the numerous damage states for each part of the ship, and the hefty memory cost these meshes come with, which could prove to be a problem as we scale up the game. The reason the damage states are so labour intensive is that each ship has over ten main parts, and each of these requires five damage states to represent the different levels of damage, then each of these requires up to five simplified meshes that we use when they're further from the camera to save performance. This equates to over 200 meshes per ship!

this, this is an overtly indulgent budget feeding off of ambition. It's a "let's throw money at our problems!" mentality.

This information is what they USED to have. Now they have a much lighter, voxel based damage system that looks better and plays better.

Your attitude is a bit saddening to me, however. It seems like the current shitty climate of the games industry has killed your optimism that games can be more than what they are. Star Citizen is changing that. It's a developer who's ambition is driven by passion, this is the game he's making because it's the game he and his backers want to play. Not because some corporate asshole at a publisher sees dollar signs.

Frankly, I don't understand why people have their panties in a bunch over this. The devs made it very clear from the very beginning this would be a big project that would consume a lot of resources.

Is 100GB a lot of data? Probably, especially if you think of going SSD (although this year has pretty good deals on 250GB drives so far). Then again, you don't see me whine about console exclusive titles for consoles I don't own and how unfair I'd have to pay a $400-500 premium just to play that one exclusive I really want to play. I currently own a WiiU and my PC and I'm looking at the PS4 simply to buy and play the Dragon Quest Warriors game coming out later this year. That's a lot of money for one game, but that's my hobby and nobody is pointing a gun to my head. Samely, I'll probably end up buying a new rig when/if I decide SC is good enough to warrant it. I'm pretty sure we won't see the game come out this year or the next so what is a lot in terms of data and PC-power today will be a moot point at that point in the future.

I have a pretty good PC atm and I'm running everything at max straight to my 65 inch hdtv, sometimes in 3d if the game has the option. Kinda sad when you realize my PC is almost 4 years old right now. I don't want to go PC master race here, but it's obvious consoles have been holding back PC games for a while now and I hope that someday the trend will be reversed so that PCs can force console makers to design machines that are much more powerful than what we have right now, for the good of all gamers.

To make this clear though, I have no idea how well my PC would run SC. I did not back the game at all so far because it was made very clear from the start they would push PC hardware limitations as far as they possibly could during production and I see no reason to give them money for a product that does not exist yet or that I couldn't run yet.

TL:DR Vastly increased file sizes aren't anything new for anyone who's been gaming since the nineties, and is a good sign they're going to really push the limits. File size for Star Citizen is currently only 20Gb, which is not bad at all. The space combat in Star Citizen is hands down the best I've ever played, which is a good sign. Limited scope and ambition from people with large bank accounts is the real cancer of modern AAA gaming and it's pretty stupid to ask people to limit the budget instead of asking for something worth $50 or $60.

Eh, it's not really a problem for backers that update regularly. The file size has grown slowly over the past year or two, and I imagine it will continue to grow slowly over the next two. So long as you continue to update, you'll get it piecemeal, no problem. Sucks for people with sucky ISPs. I don't blame them at all for losing interest. The game is currently sitting at around 20Gb, and for people that buy a physical copy of the game will get around that much as a kernel to ease the downloading woes, but it's a lot to ask for people with ISPs stuck in the past. Fortunately for those of us with relatively modernized tech, CIG isn't skimping on the details. If game ambition had kept to it's 90's scale, every game today would have over 100Gb installs, and that's what CIG is promising. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been gaming on PC for long. I remember goggling at 1Gb installs. This is nothing new, just a natural extension of gaming. Still, it does boil down to good for me, not good for you. Eh, it is what it is. If nothing else, you can always watch let's plays and Twitch streams of it, if you really can't afford the download. Who knows, maybe CIG will be able to sell it on blu-ray, you never know. There's always hope. Till there's not.

I do find the end of the world conspiracy theorists amusing though. Skepticism is encouraged, I was skeptical at first, too, but I only take it seriously from people who've actually researched the game as I did. I've played over a dozen different space sims all the way back to the original Star Wars title(which wasn't technically a sim) and Star Citizen has, hands down, the best combat I've ever played. Flying in decoupled mode is like a religious experience. It didn't start out like that, though. The first iteration was kind of meh, but each bimonthly patch drastically improved the experience, and it continues to get better. For a guy for whom space sims are his favorite genre, it's only slightly tongue in cheek to say that Star Citizen is like the second coming. That's why Star Citizen's base is so rabid. We aren't just gamers, we're space sim fans. Anyone who isn't, just won't get it. It's like being an FPS fan who hasn't seen a decent FPS in twenty years. You'd be slightly rabid and desperate, too.

Obviously space combat is only one example of gameplay CIG is claiming to include, so they have a lot to prove still. But given the amazing job they've done so far, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until the time comes it is no longer warranted. This year will see the release of both the persistent universe and the first episode of the single player experience, which is apparently sitting at around 20hrs of gametime. That should prove one way or the other to all but the most die hard haters and fanboys whether it's going to hit it's goal or not. Some are betting it won't. Some, like me, are betting it will. We'll see.

And expecting people with large budgets to be unambitious is the real problem with the AAA industry today. That's why we get lame examples like Evolve sucking all your money for virtually no content. In the 90s you couldn't walk across a gaming aisle without tripping over a title with a new genre or unique gameplay. That's why I like PC. Give me an ambitious game over one that plays it safe any day, even if it doesn't all work perfectly. So far, though, Star Citizen works pretty damn good.

100GB is a lot for a game, but not enough to require a particularly big HDD. Even my mother's 5 year old piece of shit laptop has a 500GB HDD. Any computer nowadays can fit that easily.

Denamic:
100GB is a lot for a game, but not enough to require a particularly big HDD. Even my mother's 5 year old piece of shit laptop has a 500GB HDD. Any computer nowadays can fit that easily.

Yes, but people with shitty ISPs can't be expected to download that. That's the issue at hand, here.

I think I'm going to have to go with thanks but no thanks on that one. That's just not going to happen.

Optimize it then, for crying out loud. I don't believe for a second that this size is justified; sounds more like they are lazy/running out of time or some such.

Ah Star Citizen ... slowly growing more stupid with every announcement.

I mean, setting a side how this is gonna just have people pull a 180 on the game due to download speeds and or data caps.

This is just ridiculous, I can down load full games with what they're suggesting for the bloody patches.

oh well. stupid as it is. :D not gonna effect me cause I'm not buying this mess :D

aaronexus:

Denamic:

Yes, but people with shitty ISPs can't be expected to download that. That's the issue at hand, here.

Oh right. I live in Sweden, where my slowest possible option of internet connection was 100/100Mbit, and I keep forgetting other countries don't have that kind of ISP competition.

Aeshi:
And any interest I might've had just went down the drain. Seriously, what the fuck are they doing that takes that much space?!

Games like EVE, X3 and/or WoW give entire worlds or galaxies to play with and they're only in the 15-30GB range.

Elite: Dangerous was around 30GB, and it was a world the size of our ENTIRE GALAXY. This better be the real-life size of a galaxy super-cluster at the very least.

fix-the-spade:
Move to Europe, our internet isn't stuck in 2005.

I doubt that.
Most ISPs reserve the right to restrict connection speed if a certain traffic limit is exceeded. For example I dare say all German ISPs have such regulations in their contracts fine print.
That doesn't mean it is enforced but they certainly are prepared in case they need or want it.

Anyway I doubt the 100GB is really that much of an issue as far as traffic limitations are concerned. For me it is more less another indication that SC heads towards being a bloated mess of a game.
The dogfight module is still very mehhhhhhh...

I thought Total War Shogun was good. Luckily I have unlimited, it may not be the fastest, but should take less than a day to download, my problem is that my system is not up to it, which is a shame.

i bet there doing something stupid like not using compressed audio. its always something stupid like that.

aaronexus:

Denamic:

So people should be moaning about their shitty ISP not the size of the game.

100 GB does seem a bit excessive for a space simulator, even by todays standards. Most PC's nowadays have somewhere between 4 and 16 GB RAM. Something between 1 GB and 4 GB video memory. What use is all that data if you can only manage to load 10% of it at any given moment?

And if all ships will be as detailed and high-res as that one from a video someone posted, who is supposed to be able to run this game anyway? I suppose with all the stretch goals that have been stacked on top of it, the game will perhaps release in 6 years and by that time the system requirements will be average.

If this game is truly successful and is just as fun as they planned this whole thing to be, I will eat all the negative criticism I've said about this game but until then.

HOLY. CRAP. That is crazy. And NOT in a good way. There are a lot of ways to minimize that download. People here have already put in some good suggestions. Until they find a way to shorten that down though...

Are they still using that bloated clunky excuse for a graphics engine?

Nurb:
Are they still using that bloated clunky excuse for a graphics engine?

It's already more than late to stop that train. Changing engine at this point would be starting again from scratch.

Tiamat666:
100 GB does seem a bit excessive for a space simulator, even by todays standards. Most PC's nowadays have somewhere between 4 and 16 GB RAM. Something between 1 GB and 4 GB video memory. What use is all that data if you can only manage to load 10% of it at any given moment?

You do realise no game is actually literally loaded entirely into RAM (and/or even VRAM) straight from the hard disk, right? Pretty much any game loads what it needs into memory and then works. That's why you have loading screens [1]. Otherwise, you wouldn't need them.

Moreover, it's not like you grab arbitrary files from your drive and stuff it into memory, either. The stuff put there is not necessarily just the files you have. In fact, it's seldom that - it's the in-memory representation of the software you are running.

[1] unless the loading is minimised and hidden through some tricks - like the cells in Morrowind's engine, or the elevators/corridors in Mass Effect

Hrm. That sucks for someone like me who lives so far from civilization my only option is a 5mb download/1mb upload from ATT with a 250GB cap before they charge more.

Pfft, still waiting for this game to crash and burn just because it feels like it's destiny to this game.

Hopefully a disk version will be made available, for ease of us who have the space and are willing to give it a chance, but if it's download only... eh.

I've had so many shitty problems with downloaded copies of games that I don't even wanna anymore. (Still have GTA V telling me to put in a disc copy 9/10 times I try to start it up.)

It is clear that NONE of you know ANYTHING about Star Citizen. You just saw the (possible, not confirmed) 100GB file size and started freaking out, jumping to conclusions and raving about Doom.
First off, those that buy into in now or have bought into in already are going to get the game piece meal over 2 years.
Second off, do you thing CIG is so stupid that they won't have a plan for when it is out? It is 2 yeas out from release, they have time to make a plan!

SirAroun:
It is clear that NONE of you know ANYTHING about Star Citizen. You just saw the (possible, not confirmed) 100GB file size and started freaking out, jumping to conclusions and raving about Doom.
First off, those that buy into in now or have bought into in already are going to get the game piece meal over 2 years.
Second off, do you thing CIG is so stupid that they won't have a plan for when it is out? It is 2 yeas out from release, they have time to make a plan!

I agree with you. I'm actually surprised that people are complaining so much, "OMG THIS GAME HAS TOO MANY HIGH QUALITY MESHES!".

This is one of the reasons why I love PC gaming, or at least, this is how things used to be before people started aiming their games for the lowest common denominator. PC's are incredible machines and get more and more powerful every year, it used to be that one of the most exciting things was when a piece of software was released that was just so cutting edge that it required the best gear to run it effectively. I actually remember fondly having to upgrade my video card from a CGA to VGA in order to enjoy Quest for Glory in all it's... well, Glory.

Anyway, I'm wetting myself in anticipation of Star Citizen. I don't care if it requires a fricken TB install, I'll figure out some way to make it happen.

SirAroun:

I, and many others, find that it's a lot better to assume the worst about a game and be pleasantly surprised than to assume the best and get burned.

Okay, good for them. What about the rest of us?

Well they were stupid enough to only release this bit of information without even mentioning that they're working on a plan like you're suggesting, so yes, it would certainly seem possible. Not saying it's necessarily going to happen that way, but again. Better to assume the worst IMO.

I just...you hear 100gb install size and think that there is some incompetence somewhere.

SirAroun:

Absolutely. But then again I hold the theory that most people that scoff at it are people who see something epic, can't afford a PC that can run it, and so call shenanigans and predict doom and gloom to convince themselves they don't want it.

Dude, just say you can't afford it. Anyone who holds it against you is an asshole.

TT Kairen:
It's a developer who's ambition is driven by passion, this is the game he's making because it's the game he and his backers want to play. Not because some corporate asshole at a publisher sees dollar signs.

Eh? I'm having a bit of a cognitive dissonance here because in other forums I peruse Star Citizen is pretty much the poster child for greed and dodgy practices in regard to ships sold.

Seriously, the drama surrounding this game and the ships have become quite the topic in other forums, has made for some enjoyable reading.

Fieldy409:
Everytime I hear about Star Citizen I feel like im watching a trainwreck slowly happen. This game just seems crazy, too ambitious to believe.

Perhaps you should follow development, then? It's actually progressing well and we are getting regular detailed updates about exactly what each of the involved studios is doing every month and what challenges they must overcome. I am impressed by all the information that is flowing out of Cloud Imperium Games about this and how much they are keeping us all in the loop. It's incredibly ambitious, yes, but it looks like they are going to achieve most or all of that ambition.

JaceArveduin:
Maybe I just don't know what the hell I'm talking (it's true*) but shouldn't they be able to find a way to make it not so space inefficient?

It's not so much that it is "inefficient", but just that it is so damn enormous. The sheer scope of this game utterly dwarfs anything we have seen before, and since there are no plans to bring it to consoles the developers don't have to hold back at all. They're able to genuinely push the limits of PC gaming to a level that we have never seen before.

Frankster:

TT Kairen:
It's a developer who's ambition is driven by passion, this is the game he's making because it's the game he and his backers want to play. Not because some corporate asshole at a publisher sees dollar signs.

Eh? I'm having a bit of a cognitive dissonance here because in other forums I peruse Star Citizen is pretty much the poster child for greed and dodgy practices in regard to ships sold.

Seriously, the drama surrounding this game and the ships have become quite the topic in other forums, has made for some enjoyable reading.

Then they're misinterpreting the point of such packages. As is obvious, the game is being developed for those with the highest echelons of hardware. Some of those people have a lot of money, and a lot of desire to see such a game come to fruition (it's been years since the last great space sim). Chris Roberts has stated these packages are not for BUYING SHIPS. Pledge money only if you wish to back the game. The ships are simply the reward and the thank you for supporting the game in such a huge way. (All of the packages in your screenshot have many ships, all with lifetime insurance so they will be replaced for free, as well.) ALL ships shown will be available for in-game money once the game launches, and ships will NO LONGER be available for real money. It is purely to show support.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here