Hearthstone Adds Cosmetic Alternate Hero Skins For $10 Each

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hearthstone Adds Cosmetic Alternate Hero Skins For $10 Each

Sick of staring at Garrosh's face in Hearthstone? For $10, you can stare at Magni Bronzebeard's face instead.

Hearthstone fans have been asking for alternate skins for its nine playable heroes for quite some time (especially hardcore fans of a specific faction who don't appreciate being forced to play as "the enemy"), and now the feature is finally coming... for a price. Today, Blizzard has announced that dwarven warrior Magni Bronzebeard will be the first of nine alternate hero skins for the game, which will set you back $10 each.

So what do you get for your ten bucks? Unlike the usually static hero portraits (with the exception of the "golden" versions), Magni will be fully-animated right from the get go, and will even have a unique animation for his "armor up" hero power.

The new alternate hero skins also come with unique emotes and voices that convey their individual personalities, a new play area featuring a custom visual theme, and nifty "entering the game" animations. There's no word on whether ot not the new play areas will be exclusively available to purchasers of the new heroes or not.

Purchasing Magni will also reward you with an exclusive Magni-themed card-back to use with any of your decks.

Blizzard stressed that new heroes do not add new cards to your collection or change the classes' activated hero power and are not considered new classes.

Personally, I think it's a bit rich to charge $10 per hero in a game that is already one of the most micro-transaction heavy titles out there. I feel $10 for alternate skins for all nine classes would be fair, but as these are simply cosmetics that have no actual effect on game-play, I guess they can go ahead and charge whatever they want.

Source: Blizzard

$10 is a bit rich, but I think you get more out of it than the $20 mount they have for Heroes of the Storm, so I guess it's ok?

10 USD per hero? As much as I love Hearthstone... definitely going to pass on those prices.

If I'm going to spend 10 USD on a ccg, I'll spend money on Magic. At least that's a physical thing, because as much as I like Hearthstone, it's only installed for when I want to play magic, but am not around other junkies players.

The market will speak. What I'm hoping it'll say is "lol no".

The Rogue Wolf:
The market will speak. What I'm hoping it'll say is "lol no".

If I like the character enough (or despise the base character enough), I wouldn't mind paying that much.

In fact, I doubt most people will care; most people will buy one, maybe two skins for their favorite classes, and ignore the rest. People didn't mind droping $30 on the best League of Legends skins, so I doubt this will be any different.

While I wouldn't be keen to pay that price (unless I diehard loved the character) I don't think it sounds too crazy. I'd love to see a breakdown of all the assets to see how they estimated their costs of the art and how much is profit though.

Wait wait wait...they're selling skins for a card game now? Wow...that's just........wow....

RJ 17:
Wait wait wait...they're selling skins for a card game now? Wow...that's just........wow....

BUT WAIT! You don't just get a skin, oh nonono, that'd be a ripoff! You get five, you heard me, FIVE!!! FIVE ALL NEW VOICE OVERS! Oh, but they didn't stop there..not by a longshot, you all so get an ultra rare card back!

I don't know about you friends, but I will have to whore myself out if I can't afford the wonderful deal our benevolent gaming corporation has bestowed on us!

RJ 17:

Yes, so what? Where is the problem? The Hero Portrait is among the few things they can add without actually changing the game (the card back being the other thing) and considering it's a full new character in that regards - new lines for all emotes - plus some fancy looking addional animations, I don't see what's wrong with it.
Granted, 10$ is quite a lot and half would be a more reasonable price, but the whole pack itself is still fine.

I kinda stopped in my tracks when I saw the 7 price tag when this was announced. I like Hearthstone, and I like Blizzard, but this is a bit steep for what we are actually getting. If it was 3 or 5, it would be a lot more palatable, but right now, pass.

Errr..... there's actually a massive thematic issue with this:

The warrior card pool, for example, is almost entirely Horde-based. The Kor'Kron Elite even says "For the Warchief!" and "For Hellscream!"

This is also the case with every other class from what I remember, so Blizzard's going to have to change the art/names/sounds of a lot of the class cards in order for them to make any sense with a faction-swapped Hero.

This is why I hate Blizzard now. They are money hungry pieces of shit, they don't care about players anymore.

Honestly, the base game should have had a simple faction switch option for the class hero, they have literally all the assets already from their other games; and on that point, all these 'features' you get for $10 would have taken Blizzard all of half an hour to put together, they didn't have to create anything new, take some icons from WC, take some voice overs from WoW, tell the art guy to quickly sketch half the playing field slightly fancier.

Blizzard are the only company I know that uses all 3 MMO models all at the same time. Up front cost for game and expansions, Subscription fee, ludicrously over priced real money store, and we can even chuck in bordering on Pay-2-Win with the instant level ups for more than the game costs.

Hearthstone is a fun little game but the prices are absolutely insane.

EbonBehelit:
The warrior card pool, for example, is almost entirely Horde-based. The Kor'Kron Elite even says "For the Warchief!" and "For Hellscream!"

And then you have things like the Shieldmasta, who's horde and is a neutral minion.
The Priest has the Cabal Shadow Priest, Vol'jin or the Dark Cultist.

Just to name a few examples to show how the faction doesn't matter.

Whatislove:
Honestly, the base game should have had a simple faction switch option for the class hero, they have literally all the assets already from their other games

And... why? The faction doesn't affect the game at all, only the class does.

Bindal:

And then you have things like the Shieldmasta, who's horde and is a neutral minion.
The Priest has the Cabal Shadow Priest, Vol'jin or the Dark Cultist.

Just to name a few examples to show how the faction doesn't matter.

I'm not talking about neutral minions though, and the Priest class has an obvious Alliance faction bias with only 2 minions being of Horde races - though one is Vol'jin so it's at least a bit less of an issue for a potential Horde Priest Hero.

To be fair, I gave the class card pool a bit more of a thorough look between posts, and found that not every class actually has this problem as I had first thought. It's pretty much just an issue with Paladin and Warrior, which have heavily themed card pools - Paladin being Argent/Human and Warrior being Garrosh's Horde. Magni summoning a Kor'Kron Elite (who would then call him "Warchief") just feels super awkward to me.

I don't like how its not buyable with gold but whatever its just pixels...it will just make beating the wallet warriors that much more satisfying.

I main a Warrior, and quite like Garrosh. Another 50 wins or so and I get Golden.

I like the idea of multiple heroes per class. I don't like the fact that all the non-standard heroes will have fancy animations right off the bat, and I also think they're twice the price what they should be.

Also, eww, dwarf.

EbonBehelit:

This is also the case with every other class from what I remember, so Blizzard's going to have to change the art/names/sounds of a lot of the class cards in order for them to make any sense with a faction-swapped Hero.

There's a Warrior-specific card which is a gnome. I don't recall many gnomes fighting on behalf of Garrosh.

Edit: I was going to link the images of all the Warrior-specific cards with no ties to Garrosh or the Horde, but that's quite a lot and I can't be arsed/ basically about a third of the Warrior-only cards aren't aligned with the Horde.
So I imagine they won't be chancing jack.

Bindal:

RJ 17:

Yes, so what? Where is the problem? The Hero Portrait is among the few things they can add without actually changing the game (the card back being the other thing) and considering it's a full new character in that regards - new lines for all emotes - plus some fancy looking addional animations, I don't see what's wrong with it.
Granted, 10$ is quite a lot and half would be a more reasonable price, but the whole pack itself is still fine.

It's a card game...that now has skins...call me an asshole if you want but that concept is fucking nuts.

RJ 17:

Bindal:

RJ 17:

It's a card game...that now has skins...call me an asshole if you want but that concept is fucking nuts.

The cards themselves have always had skins, though.

$10.00 seems like a hefty price to pay for a cosmetic skin. $1.00 would be a much more reasonable price for purely cosmetic stuff.

RJ 17:

Bindal:

RJ 17:

If you insist, I do. Because it's not a skin for a card-game, it's a skin for a character, with exclusive animations and quite a few other items and new voice-acting - mainly for the character in question but I suspect that there are probably other cards and characters that interact uniquely with said new character as there are already a few (e.g. Kel'Thuzad has a line for every character if you start a match fitting to their line, some cards have unique summoning lines when played against specific heroes - I wouldn't be surprised if playing the new character against the final boss of the first Blackrock Mountain Wing causes a unique dialogue, for example).
Overpriced with 10 Dollar, 9 Euro or 7 pounds, sure, but still a character-skin.

EbonBehelit:
Magni summoning a Kor'Kron Elite (who would then call him "Warchief") just feels super awkward to me.

If that's enough to ruin the theme for you, then I'm pretty sure you should've already been upset by things like Uther summoning Ragnaros and Deathwing or, the Light forfend, Kel'Thuzad. EDIT: Or how about Malfurion summoning Illidan? Thrall summoning Velen? etc. etc. sure they're not all class-specific cards, but it still ruins the thematic consistency as much as having Magni summon the Horde would.

RJ 17:

Bindal:

RJ 17:

Like Loop said, the cards have had skins for their backs for like, a year now. Now, most of them don't cost money, but they're also very small cosmetic things.

I don't see what's so wrong with the idea, anyway. I was saying just a few weeks ago that I'd love the ability to change which hero I'm actually playing as without needing to change my class. $10, on the other hand, is a really steep asking price, which is something Blizzard is unfortunately known for at this point. If they're attainable with in-game gold like everything else they've released for Hearthstone so far, then I don't have any problems with this, but if you can only get them with real money I'm going to be annoyed.

Expensive as hell? Yes. Optional as hell? Looks like it. Does it bother me? Nope. I'm just going to pass up on this one quite happily and stick to the content adding stuff.

shrekfan246:
If they're attainable with in-game gold like everything else they've released for Hearthstone so far, then I don't have any problems with this, but if you can only get them with real money I'm going to be annoyed.

Real money only, already confirmed. It is also the only purchasable content so far that is not affecting the game itself, so it's also acceptable.

Bindal:

shrekfan246:
If they're attainable with in-game gold like everything else they've released for Hearthstone so far, then I don't have any problems with this, but if you can only get them with real money I'm going to be annoyed.

Real money only, already confirmed. It is also the only purchasable content so far that is not affecting the game itself, so it's also acceptable.

Maybe to you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to boycott the game or rage on the internet about it, but it's a free-to-play game. And as much as I like Blizzard, they're one of the worst companies on the market when it comes to implementing real-money store items. It's built off of the exact same Skinner Box design that keeps people playing WoW: you start seeing people playing with these cool new things and want to get it yourself, only to discover that you need to pay the premium price of what, almost two expansion wings? to get a single new Hero skin.

There are also a few obvious slippery slopes that nag in the back of my mind. If this works well for them, what's to stop them from pushing the boundaries further and further until they are locking content that affects the game behind paywalls? Or they could start nickle-and-diming for every little thing; you want a new card back? Cough up $5. New play arena? $7.50. Shiny new platinum animations for cards, or something? $2.99.

It doesn't directly impact how the game actually plays, sure, but it's viewing the game in a limited vacuum to say that it isn't changed at all by these sorts of business decisions.

New avatar, backs of the cards can change, voice acting, animations, variant power up appearance and a new visual area? I'm counting 6 things without rereading the original post as a packaged set, One of these things for $10 would be expensive but for it all to be just cosmetic. It sounds like a fare price enough price and that you're underselling what they offer in your title.

I mean why would they make alternate sets for each character and several brand new animations for them making them a "higher" quality than the default ones for nothing at all? Like someone said it's not new decks (of card face side just the deck back style) so it isn't pay to win divisive content.

shrekfan246:
If that's enough to ruin the theme for you, then I'm pretty sure you should've already been upset by things like Uther summoning Ragnaros and Deathwing or, the Light forfend, Kel'Thuzad. EDIT: Or how about Malfurion summoning Illidan? Thrall summoning Velen? etc. etc. sure they're not all class-specific cards, but it still ruins the thematic consistency as much as having Magni summon the Horde would.

Y'know, the neutral legendaries actually never occurred to me. Oops.

Even so, it's really just the Kor'Kron's lines being a bit silly to me since the card assumes it's being played by Garrosh. For that matter, It'd be kinda amusing to play a Vol'jin against Muradin and have him gloat about being Warchief regardless. :P

EbonBehelit:

shrekfan246:

Even so, it's really just the Kor'Kron's lines being a bit silly to me since the card assumes it's being played by Garrosh. For that matter, It'd be kinda amusing to play a Vol'jin against Muradin and have him gloat about being Warchief regardless. :P

I never really thought the card itself was being played under the assumption that it was being ordered around by the Warchief of the Horde. I just figured that was the audio because that's what a Kor'kron Elite would say.

The characters-as-Heroes thing always struck me as more being about nostalgia and familiarity than any sort of lore or thematic element. That's why they have such a varied mix of old and new characters -- Thrall is the Shaman but not Warchief and Garrosh is the Warrior because of Cataclysm and everything that followed it, Jaina is the mage rather than Khadgar who realistically would be a better lore fit, Gul'dan is the Warlock, Valeera is the Rogue, and Uther is the Paladin despite them all being largely absent from Warcraft lore in general for a very long time, and so on.

shrekfan246:

EbonBehelit:

shrekfan246:

I never really thought the card itself was being played under the assumption that it was being ordered around by the Warchief of the Horde. I just figured that was the audio because that's what a Kor'kron Elite would say.

The characters-as-Heroes thing always struck me as more being about nostalgia and familiarity than any sort of lore or thematic element. That's why they have such a varied mix of old and new characters -- Thrall is the Shaman but not Warchief and Garrosh is the Warrior because of Cataclysm and everything that followed it, Jaina is the mage rather than Khadgar who realistically would be a better lore fit, Gul'dan is the Warlock, Valeera is the Rogue, and Uther is the Paladin despite them all being largely absent from Warcraft lore in general for a very long time, and so on.

To me, Hearthstone is literally what it is: A card game. In WoW, you can even find a few NPCs playing a match (Mage VS Warrior), so Hearthstone might just be the Warcraft counterpart to some real-life trading-card-games with real people.

EbonBehelit:

Well of course it's almost entirely Horde based. Horde is the best, pssh, duuuh! xD

Seriously though, Horde for life!....even though I don't play WoW anymore and haven't since Burning Legion!

OT: This might be an ok price if you got a cluster of them for it. Like you get to pick say, 3 different skins per $10, of your choice. I could see that as being worth it, to some people anyway. Not me. I play Hearthstone, but I happily play it without spending money. I just buy stuff with coins and that's it. Works out just fine for me.

EbonBehelit:

shrekfan246:

Well the game is supposed to be an "in game" game. That's the whole premise. The cards themselves aren't actually supposed to be those characters being played, it's people playing as those champions. So the faction stuff isn't really a big issue. They're all cards being played by residents of the WoW world, to pass the time and have fun.

shrekfan246:

Bindal:

shrekfan246:

Maybe to you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to boycott the game or rage on the internet about it, but it's a free-to-play game. And as much as I like Blizzard, they're one of the worst companies on the market when it comes to implementing real-money store items. It's built off of the exact same Skinner Box design that keeps people playing WoW: you start seeing people playing with these cool new things and want to get it yourself, only to discover that you need to pay the premium price of what, almost two expansion wings? to get a single new Hero skin.

There are also a few obvious slippery slopes that nag in the back of my mind. If this works well for them, what's to stop them from pushing the boundaries further and further until they are locking content that affects the game behind paywalls? Or they could start nickle-and-diming for every little thing; you want a new card back? Cough up $5. New play arena? $7.50. Shiny new platinum animations for cards, or something? $2.99.

It doesn't directly impact how the game actually plays, sure, but it's viewing the game in a limited vacuum to say that it isn't changed at all by these sorts of business decisions.

Oh jesus christ. People have been terrified of Blizzard falling down that slippery slope since the WoW TCG had mounts you could get from the loot cards.

If they haven't fallen down that slippery slope after almost a decade I think we can stop worrying about it.

shintakie10:

shrekfan246:

Bindal:

Maybe to you.

Oh jesus christ. People have been terrified of Blizzard falling down that slippery slope since the WoW TCG had mounts you could get from the loot cards.

If they haven't fallen down that slippery slope after almost a decade I think we can stop worrying about it.

I'm sorry, have you seen the stuff they're selling for World of Warcraft? They've been selling pets and mounts for years now, and apparently they've started selling helms, too? It's still all "cosmetic", but so is charging for new arenas, card backs, or animations.

shrekfan246:
I'm sorry, have you seen the stuff they're selling for World of Warcraft? They've been selling pets and mounts for years now, and apparently they've started selling helms, too? It's still all "cosmetic", but so is charging for new arenas, card backs, or animations.

And your point is what exactly because mine still stands. In fact, you have just reinforced my point.

They've been at the same point for a decade now. They sell cosmetics that mean nothing, that do nothing and hurt nothing for money. They've done it for a decade almost. The slippery slope has long since passed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here