New Xbox Elite Controller Features Swappable Components - Update

It is neat that there is an official customisable controller, but damn, $150 is expensive as fuck.

Also, what is with that radar dish of a D-pad?

Laggyteabag:
It is neat that there is an official customisable controller, but damn, $150 is expensive as fuck.

Also, what is with that radar dish of a D-pad?

It helps pick up signals from the microchips in your fillings.

Yeah, 150 if too much for a controller, even if there is button mapping. Although if it comes out that you can completely disable vibration on it that might put it on my radar.

When he said "we're giving you a new periphrial that will offer the best pricision and speed" I genuinely thought they were going to announce a mouse.

Otherwise, yeah 150 is way too much, swappable components are nice and all, but those paddles on the bottom? No way they're going to work, pick up your pad and try pressing paddles there with your ring and little finger. Fucking hurts already don't it?

New Xbox Elite Controller Features Swappable Components - Update

Want more precision with your gamepad? The Xbox Elite controller is for you.

Read Full Article

I can already swap components with my 360 controller by, you know, opening it.
Just put aluminum thumbsticks on it recently which is kinda neat.
Also "swapable components" are really kind of worthless if you can only swap that superficial plastic stuff and not the module the thumbsticks are actually connected to that will wear out, become unprecise and die on you with time.
If you want "maximum precision", that's what you'll want to be swappable.

So basically you pay 100 bucks extra for not having to screw your controller open to replace thumbsticks which you'll only do once every ~4 years and for some sensitivity stuff and "hair triggers" you'll probably never use.
Whoop dee doo.

I'm pretty sure this has already been done before.

$150 and it still comes with batteries. God fucking forbid Microsoft gets with the program and makes a wireless controller that is rechargable out of the box without an additional $25 cost... Even Nintendo has managed that.

Fucking obscene.

So, is the build quality better than the standard xbone controller? Because I've heard plenty of stories of analog gimbals/pots and triggers wearing out within a few months of normal use. For $150 and not being able to change out the components that really matter, everything in this better be precision machined, gold plated, and hand inspected. I don't think that is the case, so this controller looks like one of its goals is to wring more cash out of the dude-bros who think they're "pro." The fact that the trailer looks like a sports car commercial further cements that theory. I guess factory paddles might appeal to the real pro crowd, although, I don't know why MS would bother with a dpad that looks like a high tech nacho cheese dish, when everyone is going to toss it ASAP.

So by "swappable components" you mean "change analog sticks to....analog sticks" and "swap underslung paddles with...other paddles"?

Oh! Oh! And it has toggles that turn the analog triggers into digital triggers! Oh! Oh! And it has an absolutely hideous looking 'd-pad plate'!

And we get all that for a measly $150? Man! What a...

Load of shit. Seriously? This is the best Microsoft could come up with to innovate their controller designs? Some pseudo-swappable components, a couple of toggle switches, and (finally) the ability to min/max the settings on a console controller?

I'd probably be laughing uncontrollably right now if it weren't so utterly pathetic.

Hairless Mammoth:
So, is the build quality better than the standard xbone controller? Because I've heard plenty of stories of analog gimbals/pots and triggers wearing out within a few months of normal use.

I can confirm this for both the 360 and the One.

It's one of the primary reasons I fucking loathe the 360 controller.

If the Grifta didn't exist I would be all over this, unfortunately for Microsoft, the Grifta does exist, and it offers more features and broad compatibility for about the same price.

Vigormortis:

Hairless Mammoth:
So, is the build quality better than the standard xbone controller? Because I've heard plenty of stories of analog gimbals/pots and triggers wearing out within a few months of normal use.

I can confirm this for both the 360 and the One.

It's one of the primary reasons I fucking loathe the 360 controller.

Ugh I know that feeling, lost plenty of 360 controllers to the bumpers packing in, and my most recent failure was an analogue stick deciding that center is actually a bit to the left.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here