Dragon Age: Inquisition Drops Support For "Last-Gen" Consoles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age: Inquisition Drops Support For "Last-Gen" Consoles

daireview02

All future Dragon Age: Inquisition DLC will be exclusive to the Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Have you been enjoying Dragon Age: Inquisition on your PS3 or Xbox 360, eagerly looking forward to the next DLC drop? Well, I'm afraid I've got a bit of a good-news bad-news situation for you. The bad news is that all future DLC for the game will be released exclusively for current gen platforms, that is, the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The good news is that Bioware has implemented a "save transfer" feature for the last-gen versions of the game, which should allow you to seamlessly upgrade to current-gen.

Bioware has put together this handy guide for transferring over your save data between platforms, though it does come with a few caveats. You can only transfer from a PS3 to a PS4, or an Xbox 360 to an Xbox One. There is currently no way to transfer save data to a PC. You can transfer a save as many times as you want, and if you happened to have bought any DLC for the last-gen version of the game, you'll actually get it for your current-gen copy completely free of charge.

While it is a bit sad that support for the older consoles is being dropped, it should mean that future DLC will come out faster, and be all the more polished, as Bioware won't have to worry about "downgrading" it for inferior hardware.

At least the save transfer tool has been provided to help those who wanted to continue their Dragon Age journey.

Source: Bioware

Anyone else know of a case where the DLC schedule for a game changed systems after release like this? And, I don't just mean in a, "well, this is going to be an exclusive/timed exclusive for those guys over there," kind of way.

I bought the game on PS4. In fact, I bought a PS4 specifically so I wouldn't have to worry about the PS3 hardware holding the game back. But this is total bullshit. You don't do a cross-generation release and then drop support for the old generation halfway through the DLC period. That's fucked. The game shouldn't have been brought the the older consoles at all if this was a possibility. And I don't believe for a second that someone at Bioware/EA wasn't seriously considering this possibility for some time before the game released.

Okay, does EA just literally not give a shit about their reputation, or are they just reeaaallly this dumb?

Or is the entire thing BioWare's fault? God, I can't help but feel like no one knew what they were doing with this game. Everything from marketing to design has just felt all over the place.

Well EA, just when one thought you changed, you take the money and then you really f+++ your customers.

Well this is pretty much unfair to those who bought the Last Gen versions of the game, in my case I bought it for Xbox 360 (this is way before I got my PS4), and thankfully I immediately returned after how awful it was.

Bad move EA, you don't drop support for others just like that. But this has come to be expected.

It seems we're moving out of 7th gen faster then I realized. Wow.

This should have been disclosed ahead of time. While extra content is still going to cost people their hard-earned cash, the game was likely bought by owners of last-gen consoles with the expectation that there would be post-launch content available for purchase. If they've hit a snag and decided that now, they're not going to support the last-gen systems, then that's on them, as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, it's becoming pretty obvious that if people haven't upgraded systems yet, they'd better do so soon. The last-gen is on life support at this point, for better or worse. I don't think people should consider buying a new console yet, but if the industry is going to collectively decide for the consumer that they should buy a PS4 or Xbox One now, then what choice do people have?

I'm really glad I jumped ship to PC gaming. I still think people should consider investing in that, instead, but can understand why they'd be hesitant.

Starke:
Anyone else know of a case where the DLC schedule for a game changed systems after release like this? And, I don't just mean in a, "well, this is going to be an exclusive/timed exclusive for those guys over there," kind of way.

Well not systems, but they axed the Eastern European versions of Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Arrival DLCs for ME2, so if you got that version of the game, the DLCs wouldn't install. Although you can add your stuff to Origin now and not bother with going through hoops to registry edit your version on PC, but it was a huge dick move when it happened. They dropped that region from their regionalization plans a few months prior in 2010. That's EA for you.

What the hell was even the point for developing it for last gen then? The game looks and runs like complete ass on the 360 and now you've completely cut off support for it. Why the hell didn't Bioware just focus on next next-gen?

Saetha:
Okay, does EA just literally not give a shit about their reputation, or are they just reeaaallly this dumb?

Or is the entire thing BioWare's fault? God, I can't help but feel like no one knew what they were doing with this game. Everything from marketing to design has just felt all over the place.

Combine that with the part where the second content DLC is going to be over a year after launch. Along with grumbling that the actual story doesn't have a real resolution. I know, you fight the final boss, but, there's no real final act, "just, maybe we should hunt down the villain now, oh, wait, nevermind, he just rung the doorbell and made an arena in the sky to fight in." So, the DLC that's not coming to 360 and PS3 is the stuff that actually resolves some of the plot elements like, "why the hell was the villain even in the game?" Or "what was bald dude #362 doing?" Though, at the same time, I kinda doubt they're actually willing to offer any resolution or answers. Because, lately, Bioware's writing seems to have degenerated into a teenager mode of, "if I don't explain it, it'll be mysterious and deep 'n shit. Ooooh MYSTERIES!"

Imre Csete:

Starke:

Well not systems, but they axed the Eastern European versions of Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Arrival DLCs for ME2, so if you got that version of the game, the DLCs wouldn't install. Although you can add your stuff to Origin now and not bother with going through hoops to registry edit your version on PC, but it was a huge dick move when it happened. They dropped that region from their regionalization plans a few months prior in 2010. That's EA for you.

Yeah, I'm thinking about a game like, say, Dead Space 3 or Fallout 3 going, mid DLC release, "nope, all future DLC is going to be 360 exclusive."

It's pretty sleazy that they're abandoning the previous generation partway through the DLC cycle, considering they bothered to make a last-gen version of the game in the first place. This is now officially worse than what WB did with the shitty cash grab that was the last-gen Shadow of Mordor: WB released that pathetic excuse of a downgraded game, but didn't release ANY DLC for older consoles. EA is pulling a bait-and-switch with DA:I, yanking support so that 360 and PS3 owners now have to re-buy everything they bought previously in order to finish their games.

Here's the real kicker: I had AC4 and all of its DLC on the 360 (except for the useless speed-up packs). Someone gave me the One version of AC4, and all of the DLC I previously purchased for the 360 was free. FREE! I can't believe I'm elevating Ubisoft as an example of quality customer service, but it's obvious that they weren't double dipping with that game.

Now let's compare that to what EA is doing here. I got the 360 version of DA:I for Christmas and bought the $20 ultimate edition upgrade DLC. Since I got an Xbone in April, I went out two weeks ago and bought a used copy of the current-gen DA:I, and guess what? Cough up ANOTHER $20 if I want that DLC on my Xbone! I feel really bad for anyone who bought all of the 360 and PS3 DLC released to date - they have to re-buy absolutely everything because, if you think about it, they'll lose any items they're carrying/wearing that were exclusive to the DLC, as well as losing access to any DLC quests and locations. What good are transferred save files without the content on which those save files rely?

"Sorry, we need another $90 for you to finish the game you started, but Hey! at least it looks prettier!"

Fuck you too, EA.

I believe I speak for our previous gen console owners when I say, "Go fuck yourselves with a ten foot dildo, EA!" Seriously, this looks really shitty. Like you just got their sixty bucks and fifteen dollars for the Jaws of Hakkan, then calling it a day. This is why people don't like you.

I'm not too big of a fan of what DLC has become, but this is a damned low blow from EA to their 7th gen paying customers. This is something you only do if you warn customers, in big, bright letters, on the box/store page that the older generation may not get all of the DLC. Even then, it's a bit questionable to pull the rug out from under people who may just have barely enough in their budget to buy the DLC on their only console that runs DA:I.

Someone at EA must have seen the sales numbers for PS3 and 360. Then, they figured it would be cheaper to not have to pay the programers and artists to make the DLC functional (and pay whatever fees MS/Sony charges) for the older consoles, rather than make money off the DLC sales for last gen. Stay classy, EA.

Well, EA has returned to its rightful place in the shit list. Good job, guys.
The thing is, I don't even like DA:I. But you can't do that and think you can get away with it - if you've started developing for one console, finish the God damn job. If it's too limiting, you should've thought about it from the start, and it may affect future projects - but you can't just leave your customers hanging.

So, there have been 2 EA games I've been looking for, Mirror's Edge and the already lackluster Battlefront. I've now decided that fuck it, I'm boycotting it. I won't buy, rent or keep my interest in them. I'm not going to walk straight into a trap and expect I won't get hurt. EA has brought this on themselves.

Keep in mind, this is a company that is trying to sell their games as services and now they're trying to force always online and shitty DRM on PC. And I'm supposed to give them my money?

so just want to point out that both the PS3 and 360 versions sucked, were returned a lot, and generally did not make the money that the XB one and PS4 did. Always remember customer loyalty only goes so far, if your losing more money then your making trying to keep a significantly lower number of people happy its most likely time to cut off the limb so to speak.

So PC gamers get slapped in the face with plague that is Denovo DRM and console gamers get this little gem on their lap? How much ill will can one title be made to generate?

Jeez, EA really is trying its' best to get their "Worst comapny in America" -title back isn't it?

So, uhh... I don't remember if this happened, did Dragon Age Inquisition have a Season Pass? Becauuuuuse that's... kinda important.

Ten Foot Bunny:
It's pretty sleazy that they're abandoning the previous generation partway through the DLC cycle, considering they bothered to make a last-gen version of the game in the first place. This is now officially worse than what WB did with the shitty cash grab that was the last-gen Shadow of Mordor: WB released that pathetic excuse of a downgraded game, but didn't release ANY DLC for older consoles. EA is pulling a bait-and-switch with DA:I, yanking support so that 360 and PS3 owners now have to re-buy everything they bought previously in order to finish their games.

Here's the real kicker: I had AC4 and all of its DLC on the 360 (except for the useless speed-up packs). Someone gave me the One version of AC4, and all of the DLC I previously purchased for the 360 was free. FREE! I can't believe I'm elevating Ubisoft as an example of quality customer service, but it's obvious that they weren't double dipping with that game.

Now let's compare that to what EA is doing here. I got the 360 version of DA:I for Christmas and bought the $20 ultimate edition upgrade DLC. Since I got an Xbone in April, I went out two weeks ago and bought a used copy of the current-gen DA:I, and guess what? Cough up ANOTHER $20 if I want that DLC on my Xbone! I feel really bad for anyone who bought all of the 360 and PS3 DLC released to date - they have to re-buy absolutely everything because, if you think about it, they'll lose any items they're carrying/wearing that were exclusive to the DLC, as well as losing access to any DLC quests and locations. What good are transferred save files without the content on which those save files rely?

"Sorry, we need another $90 for you to finish the game you started, but Hey! at least it looks prettier!"

Fuck you too, EA.

Uh, the third paragraph of the story says that EA is doing the same thing; any previously purchased DLC on the old platform is free on the new platform - though it is manufacturer specific but that's to be expected.

CaptainMarvelous:
So, uhh... I don't remember if this happened, did Dragon Age Inquisition have a Season Pass? Becauuuuuse that's... kinda important.

It did not.

As someone who is not upgrading, I can't really get angry over this or even rip on EA for this decision.

1) At least, we got the game unlike Mortal Kombat X which was promised but hasn't been released and, at this point, probably won't be released.

2) This is the reality of DLC. EA is under no obligation to sell me DLC for a console that they have decided is a money-loser. If they had sold a season pass (Hi, Ubisoft!), then they would have the obligation. As it is, EA delivered everything that was paid for.

2a) EA never promised DLC for the last-gen console either. They never led me on to believe that I was going to get all the DLC. They did not sell me the game and include any reasonable expectation of future DLC support. This may be an issue with selling DLC as a separate product but that's a discussion for a different topic. EA offered the game on sale and last-gen players such as myself bought it. That was the extent of the deal between us.

3)At this point, it's really time for everyone who is still on last-gen to **** or get off the pot. I went into the last-gen knowing that it was going to be my last console generation. As such, I accept cancelled games and no DLC as an inevitable part of dropping new gaming. It is insane to expect the game companies to keep supporting the older consoles when we have had a year and a half to transition over. Gamers either have to accept that the party is over or pony up the cash for a new console. Either way, this doesn't really strike me as something that I can really throw in the "EA is evil" case file.

Gordon_4:
Uh, the third paragraph of the story says that EA is doing the same thing; any previously purchased DLC on the old platform is free on the new platform - though it is manufacturer specific but that's to be expected.

Huh... that's what I get for trying to read and write on only two hours of sleep. o.O Thanks for pointing that out! Now I feel like a total idiot. lol

I'm glad I didn't re-buy that one DLC, because they definitely weren't giving it away for free as of two weeks ago.

---------------

EDIT - I checked the instructions for importing your save games to the newer consoles, and the list of transferable DLC only mentions Jaws of Hakkon and Spoils of the Avvar. No mention of the Deluxe Edition Upgrade that I purchased on the 360. The Xbox store still tells me I have to re-purchase it. Additionally, the instructions specifically state that you need to install the deluxe edition content before importing your old save or you'll need to equip different gear, but I don't have a deluxe edition code to get the content because I purchased the content separately.

I put in a help request to EA and will post their response when I get one. Hopefully they'll do the right thing here.

---------------

From the instructions:

What happens if I purchased DLC packs on my PlayStation®3 system or Xbox 360 console?

• If you purchased the Jaws of Hakkon or Spoils of the Avvar DLC pack on your Xbox 360 console, you can download them on your Xbox One console using the same gamertag at no additional charge.
  • If your savegame data from your Xbox 360 console included these DLC packs, you must have them on your Xbox One console to load your imported savegame data.

What if I have preorder promotional items or Flames of the Inquisition items installed on my PlayStation®3 system or Xbox 360 console?

• If you have preorder promotional items or Flames of the Inquisition items installed on your Xbox 360 console at the time of the export, you can import the savegame data on your Xbox One console.
  • If you do not have the same content installed on your Xbox One console, the savegame loads, and you must equip alternate equipment and/or armor.
  • If you have the same content installed on your Xbox One console, the savegame loads as it appeared on the Xbox 360 console.

Steven Bogos:
While it is a bit sad that support for the older consoles is being dropped, it should mean that future DLC will come out faster, and be all the more polished, as Bioware won't have to worry about "downgrading" it for inferior hardware.

Do you even videogames, Steve? BioWare began their DA:I antics on 360 by downgrading the whole fuckin' game; it's genuinely one the ugliest and least technically proficient games I ever played in that gen. They simply didn't give a single fuck about "support" for the 360 version from the beginning, so cutting off DLC is just another backstab by BioWare/EA.

Should I have bothered with DA:I on 360? Given that it was the only system I could play it on, and I generally trust BioWare, yes...

Luckily for the exploitative and/or lazy mugs at BioWare and EA I decided before Jaws Of Hakkon (which is apparently rather shit) that I'll just be getting DA:I again on XB1 with new DLC (though now I might wait for a GotY version, to minimise how much cash I throw their way).

Oh screw you EA, you release a game and say there will be DLC and then let people buy it for their preferred platform before telling them that some of those platforms won't support the DLC. Dick move EA. Dick. Move.

This shit is why I don't buy your games any more.

thepyrethatburns:
3)At this point, it's really time for everyone who is still on last-gen to **** or get off the pot. I went into the last-gen knowing that it was going to be my last console generation. As such, I accept cancelled games and no DLC as an inevitable part of dropping new gaming. It is insane to expect the game companies to keep supporting the older consoles when we have had a year and a half to transition over. Gamers either have to accept that the party is over or pony up the cash for a new console. Either way, this doesn't really strike me as something that I can really throw in the "EA is evil" case file.

You're looking it from the wrong viewpoint. Some people can't afford the upgrade, and are still grasping at every high end game that comes their way - for example, I'm still holding on to my PS3 because of Persona 5. If the PS3 was my main gaming device and I played DA:I on it, I would feel cheated not getting all of the DLC. I mean, the graphics downgrade was a known risk, but removing content and gameplay is a risk not known until now.
While you can say nothing was removed because the DLC is yet to be paid for, it's still blocking last-gen players quite aggressively. Said upgrade, just to play one DLC of one game, would be in the hundreds of dollars instead of the dozens. You get more perks, like a new gaming console, but you're still doing it for only one game that you already own.

Well that is just silly. Why release a game on a platform if you are just going to cancel all further support for it? I mean, for those of us who play the game on a current gen console or PC, it can only mean good things, but to those who were super invested in the game on the last gen consoles, it must really suck being told that they cannot experience the rest of the game's story without upgrading their hardware.

Estarc:
I bought the game on PS4. In fact, I bought a PS4 specifically so I wouldn't have to worry about the PS3 hardware holding the game back. But this is total bullshit. You don't do a cross-generation release and then drop support for the old generation halfway through the DLC period. That's fucked. The game shouldn't have been brought the the older consoles at all if this was a possibility. And I don't believe for a second that someone at Bioware/EA wasn't seriously considering this possibility for some time before the game released.

They could have been considering that possibility, but they were definetly sure they could squeeze more money from the game if it was released on older consoles even if support was cutted on a later date.

"To continue playing this game, please insert 90 dollars for next gen graphics!"

Well, as someone who bought the deluxe edition at Gamestop for PS3, this leaves me miffed to say the least. At the time, it seemed obvious, the other Dragon Age games were on PS3, and even though it was releasing for PS4, they wanted to complete the trilogy on PS3. Naturally, that would include DLC, and though I knew it was going to look and run better on PS4, I was fine getting it for PS3.

Hearing some stuff that the game was held back because of going Cross Gen sucked, but I took it as a necessary evil. This type of stuff just happens sometimes afterall. But this new DLC going for just PS4/Xbox One/PC only, just annoys me to no end. I suppose it just comes across like they made it cross gen to rake in some more cash. Can't say that doesn't make sense, only that I kinda wish it WAS just next gen only like Arkham Knight. Imagine the kind of game we would have gotten then! To be fair though, I have no idea how well Inquisition sold on last gen systems VS next gen ones.

At least they gave us the ability to transfer our save files, because God knows how many more people would have gotten mad at that! It is nice that some DLC will be able to be gotten again for free, but I find it weird that other stuff like Pre-order weapons aren't included in that. What about the Deluxe edition stuff? Am I really forced to find another one?

I like Inquisition a lot, and this doesn't make me want to boycott Bioware games or anything like that. I just feel super annoyed that I now have to buy the same game twice. I won't be able to get a PS4 for awhile, and I would have happily waited to get Inquisition since I plan to get the new Mass Effect as well. Granted, we don't know how much more DLC Inquisition will have, but I have to imagine with such a large world to play with, there wouldn't be at least 2 more story centric ones. Would be stranger if there was only one more. Still haven't beaten the game (got to before the final mission though). Stopped due to annoying bugs, and was just waiting to see if any DLC was going to take place after the story or not.

This stinks, and makes me wonder how this game would have looked if it was just next gen systems only, but I know I'll eventually just move on over to PS4. I'm just going to have to deal with this.

Have they even fixed the game on previous generation consoles yet?
It's one thing to stop supporting it so soon, it's another to stop supporting it so soon and when it's in a broken state.

Saetha:

Considering how they and just about every other Western publisher/dev seem to be desperate to kill off last gen, I'm gonna guess it's a problem with both. It's just ridiculous at how they keep trying to wipe out any signs of the seventh gen and seem to treat people who won't buy a PS4 or XB1 with contempt.

Well... That's a real Phallic form move towards us. I haven't got the money to buy a new console and buy the game for this generation...

Made in China:

thepyrethatburns:

You're looking it from the wrong viewpoint. Some people can't afford the upgrade, and are still grasping at every high end game that comes their way - for example, I'm still holding on to my PS3 because of Persona 5. If the PS3 was my main gaming device and I played DA:I on it, I would feel cheated not getting all of the DLC. I mean, the graphics downgrade was a known risk, but removing content and gameplay is a risk not known until now.
While you can say nothing was removed because the DLC is yet to be paid for, it's still blocking last-gen players quite aggressively. Said upgrade, just to play one DLC of one game, would be in the hundreds of dollars instead of the dozens. You get more perks, like a new gaming console, but you're still doing it for only one game that you already own.

A year and a half. 18 monthes. Even if we go with a price of $630 for console, a couple games, and tax, that's $35 a month. Right now, the console is at 374-399 so, with tax, putting $25 aside a month for the upgrade would have been enough to buy the console by now. Maybe it is blocking last-gen players quite aggressively ....like EVERY generation upgrade. The main difference is that previous generations didn't really have the DLC issues that this gen and last gen had. As I said, that is an argument for another post. But the "can't afford it" argument doesn't hold water at this point. Over the past year, the libraries have been dwindling to nothing both for online purchases and physical. If you have been able to buy games in the past year, you have been able to put the money aside for the inevitable upgrade.

I understand the urge to grasp at every new game that we really shouldn't have got. I preordered MKX for my PS3 only to find out that it isn't coming out (Yes, no official announcement has been made but we all know it's dead.). As a DA:I 360 owner, this announcement isn't doing me any good either. (Frankly, I was surprised to get any DLC.) However, the end of the road was inevitable. As we've seen with cross-platform games in the past gen and console-exclusive bonuses, selling a game for a platform does not create an obligation to sell/release all the DLC as well. Maybe it does suck for the individual gamer but most of the people complaining probably could have upgraded by now if they had been willing to engage in a very small amount of deferred gratification over the past year and saved the money that they were spending on other games towards a new console.

The good news is that Bioware has implemented a "save transfer" feature for the last-gen versions of the game, which should allow you to seamlessly upgrade to current-gen.

EA Corporate dictionary

SEAMLESS
adjective | seamĚless|

Forcing a customer to pay $350 dollars for a new system and rebuy a $40 game just to access $20 worth of DLC for arbitrary reasons based almost solely on graphics.

Examples of SEAMLESS

"If we give them an easy way to transfer save data and act like we're doing them a favor, we can call the entire process of bending them over a barrel seamless."

So much whining about EA. Yeah, it's a shitty move. We're forgetting Rockstar is doing the same when it comes to GTA V, and Blizzard when it comes to Diablo III on the last generation.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here