One Million Moms Boycotts "Perverted" Muppets Series

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Oh man, you know 80's nostalgia has gone too far when we are bringing back the Moral Majority. Jerry Falwell's bloated corpse would be so proud someone is continuing his legacy... -_-

Anyone else wanna actually discuss how the premier was absolutely fantastic?

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it got me laughing pretty well and I enjoyed almost every minute. Barely any falling flat moments, some really good one liners (My life is a bacon wrapped hell on earth) and so many double meanings in the script, I couldn't get enough of it.

ABC is slowly returning to being my favorite of the basic cable networks shockingly enough.

I'd like to thank 1 million moms for removing themselves from the demographic, the show will no longer need to attempt to cater to them.

BreakfastMan:
Oh man, you know 80's nostalgia has gone too far when we are bringing back the Moral Majority. Jerry Falwell's bloated corpse would be so proud someone is continuing his legacy... -_-

In that case, wouldn't Archie be that point?

OMM protested them long before they went after Muppets.

Can people like this just stop being stupid? I'm a christian and if you had to put me somewhere on the "political spectrum" whatever that means I guess you could call me right-wing, but holy fucking shit, Jesus would be rolling in his grave if he still had one...

You are making christians that are actually trying to show our religion by spreading positivity look like insane cultists...now please excuse me while I go and see if I can persuade my boss to wipe them and their idiotic idea's from existence...

This is a group that claimed a skittles commercial promoted bestiality. Only pay attention to them for the cheap laughs at human stupidity.

Kotaro:
"The Muppets are finally back on television, but One Million Moms doesn't find them to be family-friendly anymore."
I'm sorry, but did they watch the original Muppet Show? There was always adult humor present.

More like have they ever watched ANY main kids cartoons/shows?

Most of those shows tend to have adult-oriented jokes tossed in for the parents watching it with their kids.

Never got why people liked the Muppet to begin with, so no issue with me.

Wished they'd been buried in the 70s with almost everything from that decade.

Redd the Sock:
This is a group that claimed a skittles commercial promoted bestiality. Only pay attention to them for the cheap laughs at human stupidity.

Wait, what? When did they do this?

I know they were upset about a GEICO commercial but skittles?

Is there something that 1 million moms doesnt find abhorent? If there was ever a need for completely ridiculous call for censorship they are a perfect example.

"Meanwhile, parents will have to explain to confused children that the program they once were allowed to watch is no longer a nice show. This would have been completely unnecessary if ABC had made the program follow its original family-friendly design."
Alternatively, it would have been completely unnecessary if the parents werent pants-on-head-retarded. but thats too much to expect nowadays is it?

Scarim Coral:
So how does being a mom make them think they know jack shit about what child should or should not see (yes raising your child is one thing but to impose your moral onto a different group is a different thing)!

I bet these are the same moms that would bad mouth other women who decide to either have children later on in life or who decide to not have kids at all. Using the haunting line of, or similar to, "You can't fully understand children until you have birthed and raised one of your own". Something like that but haunting.

huh? I never really cared about Muppets that much, because I subconsciously never saw them as relevant to my age range. Might need to check them out now.

One Million Moms, what the American Family Association does in it's spare time when it isn't demonizing them gays. The same people who wanted to boycott Ben & Jerry's for making Schweddy Balls ice-cream.

Forgetting the moms people, anybody else befuddled by the continued existence of the Muppets? Just me? I don't understand why Kermit and Piggy hold press conferences (I think they do?) like they're real people. Why websites post on the relationships of Muppets. I feel like I'm not getting a joke.

Coruptin:
Forgetting the moms people, anybody else befuddled by the continued existence of the Muppets? Just me? I don't understand why Kermit and Piggy hold press conferences (I think they do?) like they're real people. Why websites post on the relationships of Muppets. I feel like I'm not getting a joke.

The premise of the Muppets was that they featured in the background of "hollywood" etc.
Famous people would come on the show to do their bit and get "interviewed" the rest of it was Hensons form of comedy/theater.

The idea is that the Muppets are.. well... real, that's the entire point, they're just these creatures that happen to exist in the entertainment industry and do all kinds of work, the Muppet show had "behind the scenes" fragments all the time to correspond with this.

A modern day example of this sort of thing is Ted although nowhere near as well executed it cuts the crap and brings the magic to life.

example:

"Miss Piggy came out as a pro-choice feminist during an MSNBC interview."

That's not exactly true, the reporter clearly went off script and the actor did a double take and said she was pro-everything. Which if you think about it is a rather evasive answer.

RaikuFA:

Redd the Sock:

A couple of years ago. It was too batshit to get much press, but Bill Maher did a rant on it, and I did check their webpage at the time to make sure he wasn't making it up. Basically it was (to them) a commercial where a girl kisses (peck on the cheek) a walrus, it must mean she's going to fuck it.

Quick, tell them about the kids' cartoon with the crossdressing ten-year-old and his three gay space rock moms! That oughtta give 'em a nice aneurysm.

I'm surprised that they're not additionally freaking out about the pro-gay comment Fozzie made in the episode. Then again they probably didn't even pick up on it because they're so insular.

McMarbles:
Quick, tell them about the kids' cartoon with the crossdressing ten-year-old and his three gay space rock moms! That oughtta give 'em a nice aneurysm.

Man, Uncle Grandpa's turned into that?

Also it can be four if you count that one person

thisisnt acceptable but according to million moms the physically abusive relationship between kermit and miss piggy is perfectly fine....

ah i love the moral majority hypocrites haha

Holy crap OMM is still a thing? That's insane I haven't heard anything about them since that JCPenney thing like, three years ago?

I have to wonder what any of those "One Million Moms" watched when they were kids.

Redd the Sock:

RaikuFA:

Redd the Sock:

A couple of years ago. It was too batshit to get much press, but Bill Maher did a rant on it, and I did check their webpage at the time to make sure he wasn't making it up. Basically it was (to them) a commercial where a girl kisses (peck on the cheek) a walrus, it must mean she's going to fuck it.

WTF!!?

Man this is just damn stupid.

I wonder if they are truly one million mothers in that group?

Redd the Sock:

RaikuFA:

Redd the Sock:

I remember that commercial. She didn't give it a peck, she was straight up making out with it. Like, disturbingly so. Seriously, it made me uncomfortable. Not in the bestiality sense, just the noises...guh.

On topic: Muppets was a lot of fun. I think I prefer the old style with actual sketches, though. This style feels like something they should do occasionally as an episode theme, less like what the entire basis of the show is. That said though, I got a pretty good laugh out of Fozzie when he was explaining his issues with his dating profile XD

Let's make one thing clear. These people aren't motivated by concern for children. They think so, but they're not.

What motivates them is the feeling of superiority. By seeing filth and horror everywhere, they get thousands of chances to feel superior. Doritos support gay people? The Muppets make inappropriate jokes? That makes it so much easier to be a Good Person! Hurray! No need to feed the hungry. Don't bother helping the needy. You're morally superior because you bought a diferent brand of chips and didn't watch that TV show!

Fanghawk:
Before we rush to defend the original "family-friendly" Muppets, let's all remember that classic episode where Miss Piggy stole Rudolf Nureyev's towel in the sauna.

Oh, the Muppets have always been pretty "family-friendly", and they still are. One Million Moms are just a bunch of curtain-twitching Puritan busybodies without a clue.

So, hang on ... a group called One Million Moms disapproves of sex?

Kotaro:
"The Muppets are finally back on television, but One Million Moms doesn't find them to be family-friendly anymore."
I'm sorry, but did they watch the original Muppet Show? There was always adult humor present.

Whatcha wanna bet they're actually thinking of Muppet Babies?

The Almighty Aardvark:

hermes200:
... because ONE woman (One < One million), had problems with it. She wasn't even that prominent, not a politician or a public figure.

Note that 48,000 is also less than a million, which happens to be the number of members in One Million Moms

lol still better than "The Catholic League."
Remember how it only had a SINGLE member until the 1980s?
Kind of a shame they have such a large membership these days (so they claim) Just goes to show politics and moral outrage is just ironic shitposting for old people. Eventually, the idiots that REALLY believe that nonsense show up.

"Hurr I don't remember the Muppets being so 'adult' before!"

Probably because the last time you saw them you were a kid and all that stuff went over your head; your kids aren't going to pick up on it yet either.

I can't take a hate group seriously when they can't even count their actual numbers.

I agree! Gonzo shouldn't be allowed to appear on TV with his "thing" hanging out like that!
It's about time this pervert is forced to stop molesting our children's eyes.

I fucking hate these kinds of people. So much. The world would be such a better place if shits like these could just grow the fuck up.

While it's odd for a kids show to "rebrand", there's nothing to stop them doing it (though it'd be weird if they tried to appeal to both. Then again, Superhero comics/movies kind of do that now)

The fact they whined BEFORE the episode was out means they should have been ignored from the start. Adverts may have given an overall idea, but what kind of moron decides to fire off their POV before they have all the facts?

canadamus_prime:
I have to wonder what any of those "One Million Moms" watched when they were kids.

OMM were never kids. They were birthed from pods.

Grouchy Imp:
So, hang on ... a group called One Million Moms disapproves of sex?

See above.

ChaoGuy2006:
While it's odd for a kids show to "rebrand", there's nothing to stop them doing it (though it'd be weird if they tried to appeal to both. Then again, Superhero comics/movies kind of do that now)

The format of the show may have been "rebranded," but the humour has not. The Muppets have always skirted the edges of what was considered "family friendly." It's just that times have changed, and what's acceptable has also changed. It's just that some people are still a part of the 70s.

...Though I'd note that in the 80s, Mel Brooks movies were showing on TV during time slots kids would be expected to be home and watching. I remember History of the World, Part 1 on TV. I remember watching it on hom video years later and being amazed at how little was edited out.

'course, the other thing is the humour mostly flew over kids' heads. As I suspect is the case with current Muppet humour. And past muppet humour.

Also, there were a lot of Village People songs on. And even if they weren't intended to be about homosexuality, that was what the moral crusaders thought, and it caused a fuss.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: meet the new frog, same as the old frog.

Drathnoxis:
I agree! Gonzo shouldn't be allowed to appear on TV with his "thing" hanging out like that!
It's about time this pervert is forced to stop molesting our children's eyes.

And chickens. It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and KFC.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here