Disney May Ban Leia's Gold Bikini From All Star Wars Merch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Disney May Ban Leia's Gold Bikini From All Star Wars Merch

Editor's Note: This article has been updated to reflect the facts of the story, instead of the opinions of the author. The Escapist apologizes for the unnecessary and undisclosed opinions included in the original story.

The iconic, audacious, and probably uncomfortable golden bikini worn by Carrie Fisher in Return of the Jedi may soon be a rarity on toy shelves.

Many bothans may have died to bring us this information, but for now consider it just a rumor: Disney plans on banning Leia's slave bikini from all future Star Wars merchandising plans.

In Return of the Jedi, Leia is captured and imprisoned by Jabba the Hutt while she was attempting to infiltrate his compound on Tatooine. Once in his clutches, the princess and rebel leader is humiliated by being forced to wear a gold bikini while she serves the slug crime lord - until she kills the beast in perhaps the most brutal death scene in all of Star Wars.[1]

Carrie Fisher, Leia Organa herself, once described the outfit as "what supermodels will eventually wear in the seventh ring of hell."

Artist for Marvel, J. Scott Campbell, said on Facebook that sexy depictions of Leia in comics are discouraged. "Disney is already well on its way to wiping out the "slave" outfit from any future products period. You will NOT see any future merchandising featuring the slave outfit ever again. Trust me," he went on.

Disney and the Star Wars crew have been trying to make the universe a little bit more inclusive over the years. The novels (though many of them are no longer canon) are largely kinder to their female characters; portrayals of Leia in modern board games display her as a bad-ass rebel leader, for example.

For The Force Awakens star, Daisy Ridley, Fisher had this to say in Interview magazine: "Don't be a slave like I was."

What do you think? Should Slave Leia stick around as an iconic memory, or is Disney on the right track?

Source: Screencrush

[1] Rumor has it that one of Fisher's high heels punctured the Jabba puppet in the chain-choking scene, injuring an animator working inside him.

One of the earlier examples of a damsel literally saving herself by taking out the planets biggest known crime lord and they want to wipe it out? Is it that sexy stuff makes their special places feel all funny and they don't know what to do with those emotions?

Just doesn't make too much sense. It's a much beloved and emulated costume.

seems stupid, petty and driven by political correctness, so yeah bad move Disney.

I do not think that by no longer creating merchandise around it they are "confining it to nerd history". Unless they decide to edit the scene in all releases of the film from now on, it still exists as canon within the story line after all. Everyone who decides to watch the films is still going to see it.

It's not exactly a big deal. Star Wars has generally treated its few female characters in rather notably iffy ways (see Padme getting her outfit swiped into a DIY bikini in Shitty Prequel Part 2), so playing down 'slave Leia' is probably a net gain.

As the above [when I started posting] poster said; the scene's still in the film. Ergo nothing's lost.

Strange, she's wearing nearly the same amount of clothing as Jasmine, and more than Ariel, and isn't underaged.

I, for one, do not care. One skimpy bra, i'm sure it won't disappear from the movie dvds, in case a particularly sweaty fan starts having a panic attack that their first boner memory will be wiped from all official records. (Exaggeration used for porpoises of humour, please don't kill me!)

Who cares? It's iconic, sure, but it made for a fairly dumb action figure anyway (applies to most Star Wars merch, honestly). As long as they're not going back and changing the movies like Lucas did why does it matter if they pretend the bikini never happened?

They could just ban it from their Star Wars day celebrations costumes at Disneyland and world. They pissed off a lot of people when they outlawed EU costumes.

It was a totally ripped off Dejah Thoris anyways.

God dammit. Its really just stupid, it never was a controversy before someone decided to bring it up and complain... fucking hell. I mean it doesn't remove it from memory or the movie but its really dumb IMO. I said something earlier that "Slave Leia" was in no way demeaning to women, and actually when taken in context to the whole character arc (from IV-VI) makes Leia an empowering character, even with the "slave" scenes as she ends up being the one to take out Jabba with just the chains of oppression (literally). But hey, whats context mean to people being offended, right?

This would make little sense seeing as one of Disney's most popular characters wears a seashell bikini.

PatrickJS:
For The Force Awakens star, Daisy Ridley, Fisher had this to say in Interview magazine: "Don't be a slave like I was."

Wait, wasn't Carrie Fisher the one that wanted some sort of outfit to show of her body? I think I read somewhere that it was more or less her idea, though I might be mistaken.

It does feel like Disney is overreacting and honestly got the whole thing wrong. Let's look at the whole situation: Leia tries to free Han Solo, someone that Jabba absolutely hates. So when he captures her he decides to belittle and embarass her 'cause, well, he's a dick. So what does Leia do? Does she just sit there obediently and wait for the men to come and save the day? No. Well, she waits until Luke and Han causes a distraction, and then she strangles the fuck out of one of the most feared characters in the entire universe. Jabba sure tried to make her weak and powerless but she was way too much of a badass to let that shit happen.

I honestly never found Leia in that outfit all that attractive. Yeah, the outfit is meant to be sexy for sure, but on Carrie Fisher it just didn't work for me. I was too busy watching the action I guess.

That being said, I don't think Disney should go around wiping the outfit out. It is iconic, after all. Sure, you don't have to make it so that that outfit is ALL Leia seems to be wearing in merchandise, but there are people out there who still want it.
And I'm kind of tired of the argument, "It demeans Leia as a character!" That's the point. Jabba had a thing for humanoid females. And no, that's not just from the E.U. Keep in mind that he had a Twi'lek slave girl with nothing but FISHNETS for her top. Jabba viewed these girls as his property, and thus he dressed them the way that pleased him. Did wearing that outfit take away any of Leia's abilities? Sure didn't look like it. She saved herself, using the very outfit that she was wearing. Then, she helped blow the whole barge up. Now, if Leia kept wearing that thing afterward, then okay, we have a serious case of a character being nothing but eye candy now, but in the context of where she was and what had happened to her, the outfit fits.

Yeah! And while they're at it, ban those Light-sabers. Too phallic. Can you say micro-aggression?!?

I think people really need to learn about context. Leia is taken prisoner by an intergalactic gangster who has a thing for humanoid females. Leia then later kills him with her own chains to escape, no one had to 'save' her. Get over it. Leia never was a damsel in distress. She took charge from the moment she was on screen.

Eh... I can see the value in discouraging unnecessary proliferation of the outfit. I think they went too far if they remove it from ALL merchandise.

But on the subject of the stormtrooper's armor - Why do only the guys get sculpted chest plates?

Lightknight:
One of the earlier examples of a damsel literally saving herself by taking out the planets biggest known crime lord and they want to wipe it out? Is it that sexy stuff makes their special places feel all funny and they don't know what to do with those emotions?

Just doesn't make too much sense. It's a much beloved and emulated costume.

This pretty much. The abundance of merch with her wearing the outfit is pretty bad but the outfit fits the scenes it's in and it certainly doesn't turn her into a "disempowered sex object".

Realistically it isn't much of a problem. There's plenty of merch out there already with the gold bikini, and frankly, who wants to see Carrie Fisher in it now?

In more idealistic levels, just another break in the line: no one wants to take your toys away. You don't need to have zero tolerance for the sexy to make and market the more pragmatic, and yet, here we are.

Forget that some women like it

https://www.facebook.com/leiasmetalbikini/

Forget that in context, it was never bullshit as anything but the result of Jabba's odd fetish for humanoid females.

Forget that she was her most badass in the Jabba arc.

Nah, sexy - anti-wmoan these days.

Next, should C-3PO wear pants?

Redd the Sock:
Realistically it isn't much of a problem. There's plenty of merch out there already with the gold bikini, and frankly, who wants to see Carrie Fisher in it now?

In more idealistic levels, just another break in the line: no one wants to take your toys away. You don't need to have zero tolerance for the sexy to make and market the more pragmatic, and yet, here we are.

Forget that some women like it

https://www.facebook.com/leiasmetalbikini/

Forget that in context, it was never bullshit as anything but the result of Jabba's odd fetish for humanoid females.

Forget that she was her most badass in the Jabba arc.

Nah, sexy - anti-wmoan these days.

Next, should C-3PO wear pants?

If men find anything attractive it's automatically demeaning and eye rape for women. Who cares if women enjoy looking sexy and like the costume, they are just degrading themselves for the attention of men and thus are race I mean sex traitors.

Had sex with my wife last night while she was wearing this outfit (well, the cheap costume equivalent of it)

She bought it on her own.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
God dammit. Its really just stupid, it never was a controversy before someone decided to bring it up and complain... fucking hell. I mean it doesn't remove it from memory or the movie but its really dumb IMO. I said something earlier that "Slave Leia" was in no way demeaning to women, and actually when taken in context to the whole character arc (from IV-VI) makes Leia an empowering character, even with the "slave" scenes as she ends up being the one to take out Jabba with just the chains of oppression (literally). But hey, whats context mean to people being offended, right?

Its really weird how all aliens seem to want to check out mostly naked human hotties. Hmm, they never even address it as an alien fetish, its just something to be expected. I wonder if there are alien hummys, like furries but turned on by humans. Do you think Jaba got an alien boner watching Leia?

I'm fairly sure that it's supposed to be a costume that objectifies women. If you look at the context, Leia infiltrates Jabba's palace as a no-nonsense bounty hunter, then is discovered and captured by a very sleazy and brutal crime lord. So, wouldn't that mean her demeaning outfit is representative of her captors?

PatrickJS:
...portrayals of Leia in modern board games properly display her as a bad-ass rebel leader, rather than a damsel needing rescue.

So, this would be a bad time to point out her card in FFG's CCG is literally designed to be a reusable damsel in distress?

What next? Are they going to use digital editing to turn all the blasters into walkie-talkies?

Worgen:
I wonder if there are alien hummys

Maaaaybe that's not the best term to coin....

I don't have much input because I always thought that thing looked gaudy, uncomfortable and every time it showed on screen I was uncomfortable seeing it.

But on the other hand I believe that was the entire point.

But yeah I don't think it should be sold as a 'toy'. That's...fucking creepy. She's wearing a slave outfit. No getting around it, and no matter if it gets your rocks off. It's not a kid friendly ideal, or really a friendly ideal at all.

This is like 30 years too late to matter.

Anyone who had a problem with the Slave Leia bikini has probably never seen Return of the Jedi. They need to go frak up some other fandom.

I love that all the comments seem to be along the lines of "oh my god this is just political correctness." Especially the ones that are all "actually she was really empowered in that scene."
Bollocks, was she. I mean, I'm not gonna say that the scene itself was this attack on women, because that wouldn't be true, but don't try pushing it the other way and start with this "she was a badass in this scene." She waited for the main men in her life to come distract the armed baddies, then choked a physically-incapable slug-monster with a chain.

However. Disney are making the right move, if they are indeed making a move, in my opinion because that slave outfit existed for a small part of a single film that screened decades ago. Why are there still action figures being released with that outfit? There is no real reason for it to happen in future, so let's not make it happen.

Worgen:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Its really weird how all aliens seem to want to check out mostly naked human hotties. Hmm, they never even address it as an alien fetish, its just something to be expected. I wonder if there are alien hummys, like furries but turned on by humans. Do you think Jaba got an alien boner watching Leia?

He probably got the Hutt equivalent of a chubby (I'm fairly sure they spawn like reptiles or amphibians so I don't think they can actually get chubbys but you get it) from making her subservient and humiliating her more than anything.

Its over thirty years old, its run its course and that alone is a good reason to no longer produce it. Then there's the fact that it would be placed in the toy aisle next to Disney princesses and Pokemon plushes because, and some people have a hard time understanding this notion, they're produced as toys for children. I've already seen at least four stories on the local news in my area about parents getting up about the Leia slave bikini toy being sold next to Elsa and Optimus Prime. Its kind of like selling Breaking Bad or South Park merchandise in Toys 'R Us, which, again, a concept some people have a hard time understanding, is a store for children. They're trying to appeal to children and in doing so they also have to appeal their parents. Having a toy that exists for fanservice towards adult fans is not a good way to get on the good side of the parents of six year olds who want Star Wars toys.

Besides, if you want one so bad you'll still be able to get a toy featuring one. They've been in mass production for longer than most of the people reading this have been alive.

Edit: Query brought upon by the article - can articles use footnotes? We can use them on the forums like in this comment chain and I'm sure I could quote the article and fit a footnote in there but would they appear in the separate article format?

MarsAtlas:
Its over thirty years old, its run its course and that alone is a good reason to no longer produce it. Then there's the fact that it would be placed in the toy aisle next to Disney princesses and Pokemon plushes because, and some people have a hard time understanding this notion, they're produced as toys for children. .

Well...if that's the case, then pretty much everything before the Little Mermaid needs to stop getting toys made for them too from Disney...they've run their course after all...

And I do sorta like how you pick up Pokemon too...we have now got documented proof that a character in a gold bikini(that honestly covers more than pretty much even the most modest of swim spots the last thirty years) is more offensive than kids running around kicking the shit out of each other's captured magical pets for "fun". I mean, if you wanna play the children's toys card, you've gotta be able to come up with something better...

And this is ignoring how pretty much ever Disney Princess has something associated with it that's WORSE than clothing choices and an alien fetish that isn't exactly focused on at any point...there's like two minutes total she and the Twi'Lek are even onscreen like that.

Not to mention it's about the only visually iconic thing that Leia gets in the original trilogy. Han has the wild west aesthetic, Luke the dark tunics for the medieval callback, and the lightsaber, can't forget that, Vader goes without explanation, Palpatine the robes and weathered appearance, Chewie and the droids, etc. Leia's got the hair buns, white robe-dress and the slave outfit. Everything else she's got is just a copy of something else that's already there.

So many people are shot to death and dismembered in the movies but it's the bikini that has to go. Oh Disney, you crazy psychos.

I have to ask myself, if this costume is actually that bad, why are there so many cosplayers who volunteer to cosplay into it without anyone forcing them to do so.

I give no damn one way or the other about this specific outfit but I take a moment to reflect on the culture that decides history needs to be whitewashed and presumes to tell me what is alright for me to experience and what isn't.

I'll form an opinion when we have more information than the speculation of a low-ranking comic artist in a sub-company of Disney who has like a bajillion layers between him and the marketers over at Disney who are in charge of the Star Wars brand.

Seriously, I'd hardly call this a rumor, its just one guy's speculation. It isn't even worth discussing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here